Escape to the Movies: Green Zone

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Let the soul religious conservative to opine:
I would trace the start of the nonsense in Iraq to the Iran-Iraq war (under Reagan) over Desert Storm, but I am no historian. I'm just glad that neither The Guy Who Invented the Internet nor John "Biggest Nothing" Kerry was Commander and Chief during those times, despite Bush Jr's idiosyncrasies.

Well, the sub-prime bubble was only one visible symptom of a much larger problem that led to the crash, but I still think Wall Street bears a whole lot of the responsibility... but I won't get started on our infantile "Free Market" fantasies.

Anyway, The Green Zone. I'll refrain from too much judgment since I haven't seen it and don't plan to, but I would like to address one of Bob's points, about this film being released way too late for it to make a difference: The reason people are still talking about the Iraq War is that we're still IN the Iraq War, and with each passing day, that fact grows more and more preposterous. This still NEEDS talking about, because it's still relevant, because people are still dying. I'm not sure how much it really matters that it's a dumbed-down, over-simplified version of it, Some Anvils Need To Be Dropped, as the ever-addictive TV Tropes would say.

(by the way, I can't be the only one who liked the Bourne trilogy, can I?)

Couple of questions:

1) At 2:32, isn't that the old guy from "In Bruges"? I liked him.

2) And less than a second later, was it just me or did I catch a Red Dwarf reference there?

3) Who's Action Man? And why is he fighting Xanatos? Is he some other Gargoyles character I missed or something?

EDIT: @Sylocat
I liked the first one, but it got old fast for me.

Bourne was good alright and the first one, which also happens to be the best one, wasn't even directed by Paul Greengrass it was directed by Doug Liman. Frankly I'd take Greengrass shakey cam over Zach Snyder slow-mo.

Edit:

RestamSalucard:
1) At 2:32, isn't that the old guy from "In Bruges"? I liked him.

Yes thats Brendon Gleeson, watch for Jason Issacs in the handle bar moustache

2) And less than a second later, was it just me or did I catch a Red Dwarf reference there?

Yes though probably not intentional. Ace Rimmer, what a guy!

3) Who's Action Man? And why is he fighting Xanatos? Is he some other Gargoyles character I missed or something?

Hang on you get Red Dwarf and In Bruges but not Action Man? He's the british version of GI Joe.

'In early December 1891, Dr. James Naismith,[2] a Canadian-born physical education professor and instructor'

Canadians invented basketball.

But, I digress. Good review.

Actually its pretty good, except for the shaky cam a few times. But basically it's one question UK has been asking but the US apparently ignores.

"Where are the WMDs?"

The Hurtlocker isn't overrated, it's a dam good movie and it deserves it's praise.

I believed him till he said he didn't like the Bourne movies.

theshadavid:

i want to high-five him after that.
seriously, the first one was okay.
rest were lame.
and meh, hurt locker ain't as good as IB, but still fuckloads better than avatar.

OWENR22:
Sorry to disappoint you Bob, but Baseball wasn't actually invented in America

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/surrey/7610016.stm

And I'm afraid Jazz is as much Cuban as New Orleans, from European and African influences...

But I'll give you corndogs.

The thing that annoyed me most about this...or the clips that I've seen, is that there isn't a thawb or dishdasha anywhere to be seen. Have these guys ever been to Iraq?

Seriously? The Kingdom is better? Wasn't that pretty much Counterstrike - The Movie? Might give this a miss...

The one thing which makes me debate whether or not this is trully an Ye Old Awesome America film is the fact that the director is quite British. Though that might explain why the villain is American rather than English.

tur2n:
What's wrong with the Bourne movies?

I kinda like them.

Some people might like it, but I found it bland and boring as hell.

Eremiel:

Generation Kill made a bigger impact on me than Hurt Locker did.

I couldn't agree more on the Generation Kill comment. The whole series was insightful and profound. The ending sequence of the last episode alone is one of the most visceral moments I've ever experienced.

Submitted for your approval: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F2KdqqS4lA
(Note: this isn't my upload)

QUINTIX:

I would trace the start of the nonsense in Iraq to the Iran-Iraq war (under Reagan) over Desert Storm, but I am no historian.

I'd say a lot longer than that. There's an article on Iran in the 70's that puts them as the "terrorist hideout".

In fact, even tracing back to 1899 when Kuwait was annexed from Saudi Arabia by the UK; then there was the 1961 handback, the 1982 funding of the Iran-Iraq war...the area's been in turmoil since it was "founded".

internetzealot1:
I'll just leave this here
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25546334/

Here's the importunate part:

Israeli warplanes bombed a reactor project at the site in 1981. Later, U.N. inspectors documented and safeguarded the yellowcake, which had been stored in aging drums and containers since before the 1991 Gulf War. There was no evidence of any yellowcake dating from after 1991, the official said.

Guess we Americans gotta make take as much credit or blame as we can now since every other country invented stuff like sports and food before we even existed.

No fair everyone else got a head-start...

As for the movie sounds like Hurt Locker is still a much higher priority for me to see then. As for it being overrated, better than Avatar, shitloads better than Avatar... I need to see the damn thing first.

While I never really had any interest in this movie, I now know not to see it! Thanks, MovieBob!
That said, "debacle" is a fun word.

Awexsome:

As for the movie sounds like Hurt Locker is still a much higher priority for me to see then. As for it being overrated, better than Avatar, shitloads better than Avatar... I need to see the damn thing first.

Oh, most definitely a better movie than Avatar, though one can argue that Avatar was a better experience.

That doesn't mean it ain't overrated. It's not a bad movie, but it's overrated.

Yeah the hurt locker pissed me off the other night. However I think my favorite mid eastern war movie is gonna remain In the Army now. I don't care what people say Pauly Shore is funny..

holy shit! an anti war movie!

what a refreshing premise!

Greenshoes:
heh, visible microphone at 2:17

but good video!

The mic was visible so many times in the movie American Gangster.

Rainboq:

Benjeezy:

Daystar Clarion:
Of course, by 'world', I just mean America.

Y'know, the AWESOME part of the world. XD

Don't you mean the SHUNNED part of the world? /sarcasm, we Canucks could never rip on our neighbors!

Most of you don't but I did meet this Canadian kid on TF2 that was saying shit like "America deserved 9/11"

Needless to say he got a kick vote pretty quick.

QUINTIX:
Let the soul religious conservative to opine:
I would trace the start of the nonsense in Iraq to the Iran-Iraq war (under Reagan) over Desert Storm, but I am no historian. I'm just glad that neither The Guy Who Invented the Internet nor John "Biggest Nothing" Kerry was Commander and Chief during those times, despite Bush Jr's idiosyncrasies.

If you'd had Al Gore as president during "those times" you almost certainly wouldn't have gone in and ass-fucked Iraq over a lie in the first place. And that would have been a good thing. For one thing, the rest of the world might still have some residue of faith in America left.

I thought this was a clone of Bourn anyway

Canid117:

Greenshoes:
heh, visible microphone at 2:17

but good video!

The mic was visible so many times in the movie American Gangster.

Rainboq:

Benjeezy:

Daystar Clarion:
Of course, by 'world', I just mean America.

Y'know, the AWESOME part of the world. XD

Don't you mean the SHUNNED part of the world? /sarcasm, we Canucks could never rip on our neighbors!

Most of you don't but I did meet this Canadian kid on TF2 that was saying shit like "America deserved 9/11"

Needless to say he got a kick vote pretty quick.

There is always an execption, but most of us are pretty polite

Nomanslander:

tur2n:
What's wrong with the Bourne movies?

I kinda like them.

Some people might like it, but I found it bland and boring as hell.

And a camera so shakey, it makes Cloverfeild look like it was using Steady Cam...

MR T3D:

theshadavid:

i want to high-five him after that.
seriously, the first one was okay.
rest were lame.
and meh, hurt locker ain't as good as IB, but still fuckloads better than avatar.

First, the Hurt Locker rocked.

And I always loved the style Matt Damon plays in this movie and in the Bourne movies. Some find it boring but I like it.

Nazrel:

internetzealot1:
I'll just leave this here
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25546334/

Here's the importunate part:

Israeli warplanes bombed a reactor project at the site in 1981. Later, U.N. inspectors documented and safeguarded the yellowcake, which had been stored in aging drums and containers since before the 1991 Gulf War. There was no evidence of any yellowcake dating from after 1991, the official said.

The really interesting part is that the CIA worked with Germany, France, and England for information concerning WMD's in Iraq before the 2003 invasion. They all stated, officially, that Saddam probably still had WMD's in his possession. The U.N was suspicious after Saddam kicked out the weapons inspectors and we found vehicles used for transporting chemical agents burned out with incendiary devices (probably with thermite) and half buried in sand dunes in within a few kilometers of SCUD missile platforms, with SCUD missles that had hollow cavities used for holding chemical agents.
It turns out the SCUD missiles themselves had a greater range than what the UN sanctioned them for making them fall into the WMD category even without having NBC agents. So did we find WMD's? Yes. Were they nuclear/chemical/biological? No. But the components were there.
We really wont ever know because whatever we found had been burned out.

Anyone here ever play with Legos? you know how all the pieces come in little bags and all you need is a little bit of time and determination to take those pieces, and put them together?

Ha! Americans, arrogant? I've known that for years. I will likely see this movie eventually, but not at full theater price.

This was less "MovieBob reviews Greenzone" and more "MovieBob uses Greenzone as a backdrop to talk about his political views."

I liked the Hurt Locker. It was overrated though; anyone who says otherwise is just lying to themselves, but it was still a great movie. Better than Avatar, for sure.

I thought green zone was gonna be another mindless action film were I get to see things blow up. In that respect I was right who cares about the message the movies has to bring. I would see a film like that for one reason and one reason only to see matt damon kick ass. Which the man can do but this film seems like much like another bourne movie set in iraq. There are better films based in that setting like the hurt locker ( which is not over rated by any means it is a great film). But in the end I would only really check this film out to see matt damon kick ass.

Hey, why is it that spill.com does the same video reviews as Movie Bob....ahwell, I like both critics style.

Anyways, I wont see this movie. Just reminds me how pitiful you Americans are in reelecting Bush when it was common knowledge that Bush lied about the 3 main reasons for war.
Just reopens old wounds and reminds me you're going to do it again and again. Jeeze...name me three Americans that feel its the electorates fault for the last 4 years of Bush.
(...hmm, too proud of themselves for electing someone other than Bush in 2008, even though he couldn't run. Yeah, we all know Obama's not Caucasian...big deal, most countries werent built off slavery like the U.S...so I don't see the big deal on patting yourselves on the back for it.)

This is the reason I havent been on an Afghanistan tour...I can understand why a group of people would want to attack the U.S...especially an ex-ally that the U.S screwed over (see post Afghan Russian war).

Anyways, onto trying to forget I loath your country and countrymens hypocrisy. (and yeah, I see the role of the U.S in WW1 and WW2 as simple war profiteering and not the "Savior of the allies". Canada went to war with Japan on day one of WW2...the U.S was the hero of WW2....bullshit; Russia was).

Dont' bother repling to this post because you have your panties in a bunch either. I'll either think of you as some yuppie yank prick too lazy to try to change your gov't in a (gasp) democracy, some too-little too-late meet me half way person, or a person who would rather forget about the information and fall in line (-no connections to sept 11 or Osama..Saddam was even an enemy of Osama. -who do you think sold the nerve gas to Saddam during Reagan? -Who helped the Jihad during the Afghan Russian war + leaving your allies without aid or a rebuilt infrastructure post war creating a power vacuum that saw the Jihad into power, -one sided views towards Israel vs Palistien...I have lots of reasons behind my convictions...don't get me started.)

One thing I hate more than a movie that screams patriotism, is a movie that pretends to be insightful but ultimately screams patriotism even more.

""most countries werent built off slavery like the U.S""

Have you ever opened a history book before? European Imperialism was built on the back of the slave trade. Who do you think sold America the slaves? Hell even Wikipedia could tell you that one.

You're welcome to your opinion, luxury of being the strongest militarily means you don't have to care about sentiment. But ignorance spouted off to sound santimonious makes you look moronic.

Too tempting to reply to there, but as for the film. The only movie I liked that was politically slanted was The Day After Tommorrow.

It was so liberally slanted I was just waiting for ACLU-lead coup with the Bill Clinton cameo while America huddled in Mexico.....BUUUUT as for an "end of the world" film it was pretty darn good and IMO was only topped in that department by 2012. But a political message greasing up a mindless, camera spasming action film....holy god I'm glad I read saw this review....thanks Movie Bob.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here