The Pocket Gamer Report: PSPgo - The Sega Dreamcast of This Generation?

The Pocket Gamer Report: PSPgo - The Sega Dreamcast of This Generation?

Why Sony is way ahead of the game with its latest handheld.

Read Full Article

Get the PSP 2 in, then we all should be fine... The PSP go is good... but we need PHYSICAL copies of games to really get into them In my personal Opinion.

Calumon: I had a Dream cast on me once. I was eating cake and I could have sworn I was going to burst!

It will fail in similar fashion

I'll buy digital distribution when hell freezes over!

P.S. not counting ninth circle

Digital distrubition is indeed the future.
I just don't want it, and will happily remain in the past for as long as I can- along with about 90% of the consumer base they ignored.

Can't really compare the PSPGo with the dreamcast. It's more like... the Vtec.

Pocket Gamer:
However, Sony is the first gaming-centric company to actually take the brave step of going download-only, and while this move has incurred the wrath of gamers and retailers alike, it's quite obviously the future of the industry.

And a future I'm not happy about. It may be more convenient, but digital distribution on the whole favours publishers more than it does the consumer. Call me outdated, but I much prefer the feel of a hard copy.

Besides, when it comes to PC software, I can also make a backup ISO. Best of both.

The PSPGo isn't quite the Dreamcast of the handheld generation. The Dreamcast was a new piece of hardware with a new games library, the PSPGo is an incremental release of an existing platform, with significant disincentives to adopt it as opposed to it's established bretheren because the entire existing library of games on shelves cannot be used with it.

If someone wanted to play a Dreamcast game, they had to buy a Dreamcast.

If someone wants to play a PSP game, they don't need a PSP Go, and if they get an ordinary PSP they get a significant back catalogue of other games which they can pick up for cheap.

And that's why the platform isn't just "struggling", it's dead in the water with the sharks already nibbling, PSP Go sales in Japan are of the order of 1000-2000 units per week whereas the standard PSP shifted 64,000 last week.

ZombieGenesis:
I just don't want it, and will happily remain in the past for as long as I can- along with about 90% of the consumer base they ignored.

Same here. I will always want to own a physical copy where I can. I might change my mind if its old, out of date titles which you cannot get anymore.

But, mostly. I want to be able to look at my shelf in pride!

"The iPhone has proven that digital distribution is easier, cheaper, and actually benefits developers more directly than the traditional middle man method that involves the costly production of physical items, transportation costs, and retailer mark-up."

Yes and all of this has proven just how terrible of a system this is for consumers. Sure it can be just as convenient and beneficial to us, but only if we pirate. Not to mention that I LIKE owning physical copies of my games.

Jaredin:

ZombieGenesis:

Same here. I will always want to own a physical copy where I can. I might change my mind if its old, out of date titles which you cannot get anymore.

But, mostly. I want to be able to look at my shelf in pride!

For the most part I agree, but not for portable consoles. I think that digital distribution is a necessity for portable gaming machines, because UMDs and cartridges are a pretty big limitation in terms of mobility.

OT: I thought the PSPGo has some features that are half a generation too early. The Lack of a UMD is a killer, because the PSN doesn't yet have the proper support for it. It should have been something left until PSP2 was ready to go, and the PSN should already have a huge library of quality titles before they stick out a console that is 100% dependent on PSN purchases. Also, I don't understand the price point. The new, slim model of any console should be priced the same as the current console.

The price point killed this thing along with the lack of an external drive to read UMDs I already own. The thing is great for my kids, though - I don't want them touching my discs anyhow, and if I buy one digital copy of a game I can attach it to five devices (including my PSP-1000). Makes multi-player things like Monster Hunter a no-brainer to buy digitally.

The psychological need of having the physical media is a strange one - I've been gaming for a long time now (over three decades if you include Pong) and I'm trying my best to get over this mental issue. Now that I have kids I have to admit that it is nice that they can't scratch up the hard copies of the games because they don't exist. When that happens the only (ok, only legal) recourse is to go buy it again...

GloatingSwine:
The PSPGo isn't quite the Dreamcast of the handheld generation. The Dreamcast was a new piece of hardware with a new games library, the PSPGo is an incremental release of an existing platform, with significant disincentives to adopt it as opposed to it's established bretheren because the entire existing library of games on shelves cannot be used with it.

If someone wanted to play a Dreamcast game, they had to buy a Dreamcast.

If someone wants to play a PSP game, they don't need a PSP Go, and if they get an ordinary PSP they get a significant back catalogue of other games which they can pick up for cheap.

And that's why the platform isn't just "struggling", it's dead in the water with the sharks already nibbling, PSP Go sales in Japan are of the order of 1000-2000 units per week whereas the standard PSP shifted 64,000 last week.

I was going to say something exactly of this sort - the PSP go gave gamers a huge middle finger when Sony decided not to do anything about the games someone already has. PSP on the go without lugging around UMDs? Great! But PSP on the go without ANY of my old games? I'd rather lug around UMDs than not be able to play old games. Sony should have waited until they were full on releasing their next handheld for this jump.

But hey, maybe it will make the all-digital PSP 2 work better, huh?

It will die a similiar fate but other than that the two console are very distinct.

The Dreamcast was an underappreciated console with some true gems on it. The PSPGo is a mangled PSP where you don't even get to "own" the games you buy!

I like my hard copies, it ensures they'll be there in a few years time.

And just think this could all have been avoided if they had included a fucking UMD SLOT!

My problem was that it was just the same PSP repackaged with a shiny new app. I love digital distribution, I am working my way through all my fave PS1 classics on my PSP and backing up to my hard disk. I am just not going to drop that much on tech that has nearly run it's life cycle. The PSP 2 is on it's way and I'd rather save for that.

I still think the dreamcast was the best console released. I mean it had so many new ideas and fun games - it's a shame it didn't do to well, and was a badly put together machine.

Apart from anything else, you could use the $200 saving you made by buying the PSP 3000 to buy yourself half a dozen games and a carry case for them all to go into. It's not like UMD discs weigh much.

When you make something online only you automatically exclude a percentage of potential customers. Not everyone has an internet connection, not everyone that has an internet connection has broadband, and not everyone that has broadband has bandwidth to burn on downloading games.

Digital distribution is all well and good, and sometimes extremely convenient and cost effective, but it's not in any position to take over from the shiny shiny discs that I love so very much. And I don't see it being so in my lifetime.

Completely different situation actually I'm sorry but youre only slightly off. The Pspgo is actually the Sega 32x of this generation.

Digital distribution may be the future of gaming, but I don't understand why Sony would make a digital-only system so early on; physical copies, while not the new thing, are far from outdated, and most gamers actually prefer them.

FAIL!! FAIL! Download only is a sinkhole of fail that will only lead to much suffering. There are so many problems with download only I don't even have the time, nor the patience, to list them all. And if people are bitching about useless antipiracy now, wait till download only is the new thing. I don't think it takes a genius to figure out all the problems with download only, me and my uncle hammered it out one night on messenger, we had a total of 26 different MAJOR problems, 48 including minor downsides, and annoyances.

I think arguing that full digital distribution for games being only a few years away is a folly. People have been saying the same thing about the Kindle, how it would replace books and no one would ever read real pages again. It hasn't, and it won't. Not for a long, long, long time anyway.

I think that the PSP Go is like communism, decent on paper, but terrible in execution. Well, terrible in timing for the PSP Go.

I bought the PSPGo and I love it. I love the fact that you don't have to lug around UMDs. You don't hear the disk spinning while you're playing UMDs. Since I know how to budget my part-time job money, the price point isn't an issue. Brand new games cost less for me on the PSPGo. More Memory from the start with 16 Gigs right away. My only issue is that I can't buy Crisis Core for it yet because it's not on the PSN. But I can wait. Someone has to take the step forward. It rarely happens that all technologies upgrade at the same time. The PSPGo will survive because it's a variant of the PSP rather than a sequel. It's made for people who are tired of lugging around UMDs. That's really it. I like the idea of having my entire library of portable games in my pocket at once.

Can the PSPgo play PSP games? If so then I want it. If not then I don't. Simple as that.

Catkid906:
Calumon:

I'm really loving your Calumon posts. They're quite entertaining!

AvsJoe:
Can the PSPgo play PSP games? If so then I want it. If not then I don't. Simple as that.

Catkid906:
Calumon:

Thank you. Me and Calumon find them an entertaining escape from boring reality.

Calumon: I just like having someone else to talk to. Talking to Jack makes my Head spin.

Hey, I'm smart. It's like essentially being existential with a newborn baby!

Calumon: You do need changing.

Not ME!

The PSP Go could have been a great thing, yes. However, Sony priced the machine high, the games equally expensive despite no physical copy, and no backwards compatibility and games had no used game resale value. And it was against the old PSP, which, for the hard core who would drive such a device's sales, could be hacked, where it could have the same functionality as long as the user didn't feel pirating games they owned wasn't morally wrong (and heck, it seems many people don't feel that pirating games they *don't* own is morally wrong).

The Dreamcast was a good system that had its followers, and fanatics. The PSPgo felt like a corporate money grab, and unless Sony raises their opinion of their customers and fixes some of the problems, it will deservedly crash and burn.

What's wrong with digital distribution? I love my go. I can carry my 15+ games around in one pocket. How awesome is that?

I have to question the forethought and gamer-cred of anyone who acts like the demise of "brick and mortar"/physical copies is a good thing. Oh, sure, digital distribution is nice and convenient, but more complicated technology means there's more stuff that can go wrong and with games generally being an investment of $30+ dollars, I'm not willing to settle for that.

AvsJoe:

Catkid906:
Calumon:

If you mean can it play UMDs? No. But if you mean can it play any game a normal PSP then yes it can. Although you could easily buy a normal PSP, a big enough memory stick for the same price as a go and download all the games you want. You also get the option for using UMD's as well which is a plus seeing as not ALL the PSPs games are on the PSN.

Really, the go was good in concept but was executed badly with it being charged at a far too high price point and not offering THAT big of an added benefit over the previous models. A didgital distribution handheld is nice in terms of game convenience, and the PSP could already do it even before the go, but hard copies should always remain no matter what.

Really what they should have done instead of the go was take the PSP-3000, cram that 16GB of flash memory in there. It would still have the normal memory card slot for game saves and added memory. Give it the bluetooth capabilities of the go, and hell even the overall design of the go whilst still keeping UMD drive and MAYBE bump up the RAM a little more. See THAT would have been worth at best the 200 dollar price point and be a decent upgrade. It's a shame Sony didn't take a more prudent approach like this, it probably would have been accepted more by people seeing as it would be a far more appealing package without compromising your current state of affairs with the system.

I think the Go's just a dry trial run for a PSP phone. Might as well make some money on the prototypes, and make sure the online store is well-padded by the time the real hardware launches.

The problem with the PSP is the lack of media for it. Why buy a gameing platform that has no games? Its the same problem the PS3 had. Not so much anymore for the PS3 but the PSP, and especially the PSPgo still is lacking in software.

I love our PSPgo. Somehow it's genius- if I go to an 'in the real world' store I feel like I'm paying more, and it's easier to talk myself out of it. But the Play Station store allows for more impulse buys I think. We've bought more games on this system than most Nintendo handhelds we've owned, and I like Gameboy's just fine.

Plus... Loco Roco is the best game EVAR!!!11!!

Daemascus:
The problem with the PSP is the lack of media for it. Why buy a gameing platform that has no games? Its the same problem the PS3 had. Not so much anymore for the PS3 but the PSP, and especially the PSPgo still is lacking in software.

That statement was relavent maybe two or three years ago, or unless you completely ignored 2008 and 2009. The system has plenty of good games, it's hardly lacking. It's only lacking to those who don't bother to look or are just ignorant/don't own one. I can pull up at least 50 games that I own or can be considered good games for the system.

In the beginning the system had a slow start, but pulling this tired old statement out any time after 2008 is a load of bull. The bigger problem right now is less the software (for reasons already stated), and more the actual marketing and to an extent, piracy (although I won't debate how much it has affected the system right now). Sony SUCKS at marketing and some lazy developers are also to blame. This is no surprise, Sonys marketing team has been crappy for most of this gen up until 2009 where they got their asses in gear.

Also the an even lesser extent, I'd take a gamble and say that some of the systems problems may come from people in general. How many times have you heard people complain about the lack of a second stick despite it not being entirely necessary for most games. Also again there is the terrible marketing job by Sony which paints the impression that the system "has no games". Some just refuse to give it any sort of chance but I won't force them to, but I won't let misinformation pass by and have it furthur cloud peoples judgment.

It's really a shame this stuff happens. it's a wonderful system and its loaded with potential. it's a nice alternative for those looking for a different handheld experience, but so many hurtful factors from all encompassing parties has dented this things image. It's really unfortunate that the Go just made things worse and that's an impression that leaves a big mark on a system.

If they dont market the games its pretty much as if they never existed except as sink holes of money, which in turn make developers less likely to make stuff for it, aggravating the problem.

Digital Distribution is not a replacement for the retail market, currently it's 5% of the entire games market. Will it be the future? Hard to say, but we won't know for many years.

All of this is of course moot because it is an insult to the Dreamcast to compare the PSPGo to it. The PSPGo is the Sega NOMAD of this generation. An expensive piece of crap that does nothing different from its predecessors except doing them worse.

It mentions that all games will be download only, and how theoretically, this would make games cheaper do to lack of physical production costs, retailer mark up and middle man profits. However I seriously doubt that that will happen. The price will stay the same to combat pirating.

And even though I have purchased full games off of xbox live, I find that i play games on disk more then games downloaded because I actually can see that "Hey i have this game" when deciding what to play instead of looking at the Xbox's game library.

Also this affects Price reduction. A game is reduced in price if it doesn't sell well. I doubt that download games will reduce in price very much if at all, for the xbox's future at least (COD 2's map pack still costs $10. That's almost double how much you can buy the game!)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here