How Can Videogames Make Us Cry?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Nouw:
When Anthony Carmine dies in Gears 2. I didn't even play the game! Just watched clips from youtube...

I saw that. Teared like a baby because he was just so innocent. Also when

. I wanted to throw my controller for some odd reason with that.

As well as in Assassin's Creed 2, the last part of 16's files before you see his final 'memory'. When he was just begging to be let go and telling us that 'his mind is gone' and 'Lucy. I'm just ready to go...' just made me almost bawl like a baby, I had gotten to attatched to him.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but about the only thing that really makes me cry is when someone whips out the honor shit. Like when the leader is utterly out numbered and there is no chance for survival and instead of running the last three guards say something epic like, "to die in your service is enough" or nearly any of the whole vikings about to go on an obvious suicide mission type thing, the end of The 13th Warrior where all them vikings did that IDK poem, ritual like thing talking about seeing all their forefathers, that made me ball like a baby missing his pacifier.

Furburt:
Q.How Can Videogames Make Us Furburt Cry?

A. When they are The Longest Journey or Grim Fandango.

The only ones so far lads! Keep it up though.

you have good standarts, i respect that!

Perhaps not cry, but certainly sorrow in some games. Such as a certain choice you had to make in the first Mass Effect. Of course that only helped make my decisions for that character in Mass Effect 2, and get the best ending I could for it.

In Silent Hill 2, where Maria

I burst into tears, because the game was just so UNFAIR to the poor guy.

Furburt:

Donnyp:

What about a heroic dog you spend your entire game with is protecting you and dies while sacrificing himself to save you?

Which game is this now?

It doesn't just asking if this would induce crying.

Donnyp:

It doesn't just asking if this would induce crying.

I doubt it would make me cry, but I'd definitely feel very sad.

COD4 when Captain Price died. I just ended up tearing up, lol.

lacktheknack:
In Silent Hill 2, where Maria

I burst into tears, because the game was just so UNFAIR to the poor guy.

My friends and I played and got the Mary ending. Friend burst into tears. Spent 5 minutes trying to comfort her, even when shedding a few manly tears. Felt like a hero when she calmed down.

The ending to Mafia was pretty sad.

The_ModeRazor:
Cried?
No.
Shed a few tears? Yeah, happens sometimes. I only get that response from the same thing once, so I guess I must lack a soul.

Ya its the same as me. I haven't cried in a game, I've only gotten a little teary-eyed. But I know what you mean about "I only get that response from the same thing once", a movie can bring a tear to my eye many times, but a game can only do it once. So far there have been no exceptions

Now to reply to the thread. I didn't cry, but i did get a little teary-eyed when i first saw the ending of ME1 (the "save the council" version). What can I say? It was a powerful scene

For games to cause any strong emotions they need 3-dimensional characters, stories without any major plot holes, and gameplay that makes you feel a part of your character.

Ending to MGS 3, FFVII are particularly sad for me.

Altheus_Necron:

Jangles:
Video games should be, at their core, novels where you can control the main character.

Take for example, Final Fantasy VII (Because I just loved it that much), the game was so amazing, not because of the turn-based combat, but because of the story telling elements.

Final Fantasy successfully familiarized the player with all the characters well enough so that when one of them died, Aeris for example, the player felt as if someone that they had known for more than 10 minutes had died.

Furthermore, Aeris was an extremely amiable character.

Most of the Final Fantasies, Lost Oddysey, and etc. Are the most ready examples of good story telling and tear evoking games.

- In conclusion we don't need a game developer telling us how to make good games, but a good writer.

guiltless:
It didn't even have to be as drastic as Aeris I Was even upset when Biggs, Wedge, and Jesse died in the beginning of the game. But agreed Square Enix knows how to make you care about a character.

OMG Aeris DIES? Use spoilers next time...

Seriously though, welcome to the Escapist. May your stay be a long one. =)

OT: It all comes down to the writing. You can have the best looking game in the world, with the most awesome gameplay, but if your writing means that all your characters are made of cardboard then there's not going to be the emotional attachment needed to evoke emotional responses.

Although games have made me feel sad at points (such as the afforementioned Aeris) I have never payed on that has made me cry.

Completely agreed; Many people think that Fallout 3's characters were simply dioramas. However, perhaps I have an overactive conscience, but even while I was TRYING TO GET ACHIEVEMENTS I very nearly could not help myself continue to save everybody I could because of the in-game consequences of killing people, and Three Dawg's resultant comments when you do

P.S. How do you do a spoiler alert like Citrus Insanity pulled off?

Scrythe:
Okay, I'll man up and admit it. Metal Gear Solid 4 actually brought me to tears on my first playthrough, especially Act 4. Walking in such a familiar area, looking at the broken security cameras, and listening to The Best Is Yet To Come and I just sat there, reflecting on how far the series has come.

It was an emotional moment as I thought about playing the NES port of Metal Gear as a child. I thought about my elementary school friend introducing me to Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. I thought about the day I was browsing the racks at Blockbuster to find Metal Gear Solid, then taking it home and beating it in one day, completely blown away by it. I thought about the day I rushed home from school just so I can pick up a copy of Sons of Libery. I thought about how, despite the deception, I grew to like Raiden. I thought about the day I found a copy of Metal Gear on NES at a garage sale for $0.50, rushing back home to relive the memories. I thought about dominating the forests of Russia in Snake Eater, playing as Solid Snake's father and hilariously meeting Johnny's grandfather (who I spared). And here I am again, as Solid Snake, back in Alaska staring at a broken camera, listening to audio flashbacks, dodging guards that weren't there anymore, and spending the whole level on top-down view (1000 points!).

The hand-to-hand fight between Solid Snake and Liquid Ocelot had it's own emotional weight as well. Two men, who experienced things that no normal solder could imagine. Two men who fought, bled, and gave every ounce of their existence for what they believed. Solid Snake, the hero. Ocelot, the anti-hero. Adversaries for decades. And this was their last duel, their final mission. Only one of them was walking away alive.

Then in the next minute, I'm watching Snake at the cemetery, ready to take his own life. At that point, I couldn't hold back anymore. This was Snake. A character hero since my childhood. A character I played from a pixelated green blob to what he is now. This wasn't just any regular game character, this was my character. And when that screen went black, I sobbed like a bitch. Needless to say I actually cheered to see the final ending, the real resolution. I cheered when Big Boss showed up, and I hissed when Zero died. This was a great conclusion to a brilliant series. And it sure went out with a bang. I know there are more Metal Gear Solid games coming out, but Snake's tale is over.

The only game that ever came close to making me feel like this was Episode 4 of Tales of Monkey Island. I had a similar reflection, looking back at all the adventures I had with Guybrush Threepwood, from when my friend introduced me to the series up till now. After that, I was hanging on the edge of my seat waiting for Episode 5 to come out.

I completely agree with your MGS4 comment. Bravo

Jangles:
*snip*

P.S. How do you do a spoiler alert like Citrus Insanity pulled off?

You use the following tags, but take out the *

[*spoiler=Warning text goes here]Actual spoiler goes here[/spoiler*]

That turns into this

If you don't put warning text in, then you get the default "Spoiler: Click to view" warning instead, like this

Furburt:
Q.How Can Videogames Make Us Furburt Cry?

A. When they are The Longest Journey or Grim Fandango.

The only ones so far lads! Keep it up though.

What about a heroic dog you spend your entire game with is protecting you and dies while sacrificing himself to save you?

OT: No. I get a lump in the throat but thats about it.

Donnyp:

Which game is this now?

the only time i ever cried in a video game was when aeris died ... WHY SHE WAS YOUNG

Punishment needles in game pads should do it - it's like a rumble feature, only you get stabbed by needles that shoot out of the pad when you don't do very well.

The first time I completed Silent Hill 2 I got the "In Water" ending. Damn, that was brutal. Brought me completely to tears.

Mr. Grey:
The only things to make me almost cry are good TV shows, movies and books.

I am immune to video games because as soon as I hit reset, guess what? Everything is as it should be, no one has to die and everyone can hold hands and sing songs. Till I decide to watch said person die again and again, because clearly this person was a token thing meant to instill emotions into me.

But you can start all those things over and decide to watch/read someone's death as well.

I'll refrain from any spoilers, but as a dad myself, the ending I received in Heavy Rain almost brought me to tears.

I can't say I've full on rained down tears, but I've definitely been choked up numerous times. Square games were always able to do it to me. Even going back to the SNES days, FF4 had some real sad moments (even if they retracted them later) like Palom and Porom sacrificing themselves. FF6, SoM, Chrono Trigger, FF7, FF8, etc. they all got me fighting back tears at one point or several.

Love Lost Ending of Silent Hill Shattered Memories, This made me shed a tear and feel so depressed, although I think it was mostly that song Acceptance (forget Artist). I actually used that song for a Photostory project about Child Mortality in my Social Studies class.

if only I had played FFVII back when it was released originally (and having had half the plot and plot twists be told to me)
I was probably too young to appreciate the story then anyway tho

Jubilant:

Nouw:
When Anthony Carmine dies in Gears 2. I didn't even play the game! Just watched clips from youtube...

I saw that. Teared like a baby because he was just so innocent. Also when Dom found Maria again. I wanted to throw my controller for some odd reason with that.

As well as in Assassin's Creed 2, the last part of 16's files before you see his final 'memory'. When he was just begging to be let go and telling us that 'his mind is gone' and 'Lucy. I'm just ready to go...' just made me almost bawl like a baby, I had gotten to attatched to him.

dude I forgot about Gears 2...yeah it didn't sadden me to tears, but it did make me feel really really really bad
like from the moment we first saw Tai broken...bleh

shoot I haven't played the AC2 DLCs aaugh gotta get them (I got SO into AC2, beat it 100% but seeing the ending I was like nooo what happened to Ezio...)

Movies and television have made me weepy and shiny-eyed on countless occasions. I have yet to experience sadness from a game though. I find it difficult to empathize to that degree with any video game character. The closest I've come is literal heart thumping adrenaline during certain FPS's.

They have never made me cry, just rage.

Stabby Joe:

SimuLord:
Fallout 3, Mr. Rouse? That game didn't make me cry. It made me angry. It made me think "this could've been game of the year, but the ending sucked so badly that I have to give this award to another game". It's the reason I wouldn't recommend anyone even consider the game without at least Broken Steel added on to it.

Bad example.

I'll agree with it as an example but "not even consider"? It's just one mission at the end, if you don't do it you can keep on playing or at least reload after the ending.

As for this topic, I have yet to get teary from a video game but I think it is possible... still waiting on it though...

With the Game of the Year edition out it's kind of a moot point, but Broken Steel is otherwise the most essential ten bucks you can spend on that game. Not only does it fix the ending but it raises the too-low level cap to a point that makes a bit more sense.

I'll admit it: I cried at the end of Persona 3. I cried like a little girl, and then my roomie mocked me.

I also cried near the end of Okami. "Reset: Thank You" combined with the scene in which the song was played had that effect on me.

By stabbing you with a knife hidden in the USB ports every time you die.

Most of the common death ones don't do it for me.

Mass Effect: Oh man, obligatory "big choice" part of the game. I'm sure it's something the writers barely thought about, as it can go both ways and can have no major plot significance at all. (vs FF7: Aeris' death allowed for the world to be saved in the end. It meant everything)

One that did it just from the THREAT of someone dying was Phoenix Wright: Justice for All.

Braid's ending was pretty influential as well.

For me, what really brings me to tears is usually the death of a character I've become really attached to or cases of self sacrifice in games.

The stories in the Lost Odyssey are the only exception to that. Those things make me bawl like a little girl.

Jubilant:

Nouw:

I saw that. Teared like a baby because he was just so innocent. Also when Dom found Maria again. I wanted to throw my controller for some odd reason with that.

Did you come here just because of March Mayhem? If yes, that's my story! If no, Welcome To The Escapist anyway.

Dom found Maria, wait what? Tell me the full-story using spoiler-tags. If you don't know how to use them:

[spoiler=whatever you want to come up as text when someone sees the box7]The Context[/spoiler7]

Without the 7s of course.

Every time a 60$+ game comes out I cry.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook