A View From the Road: PokeMMOn

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Is Pokemon actually a Massively Multiplayer Offline RPG?

Read Full Article

I thought of that idea for a while but, there are plenty of indie gamers who have made one (there not very good) and the fact is pokemon is a single player game with a multi player appeal.

gief Pokemon MMO! or at least make the games have 3D battles ><

Im sure I saw an advert for an "Official Pokemon MMOG"

Dont think that was entirely legit though...

The chances of Nintendo ever making a PC game are slim enough. However, a Poke'mon MMO is something I would absolutely LOVE to see. I started a Poke'mon MMO Petition on Facebook not long ago. It did the trick for Wispas so it may do the trick for this. (Not to be taken seriously).

It has such amazing potential though. The amazing huge free world, the finding, capturing and training of Poke'mon. And don't forget battling. I think an MMO is pretty much Poke'mon's destiny.

AddytheGreat:
Im sure I saw an advert for an "Official Pokemon MMOG"

Dont think that was entirely legit though...

I have too. I saw it on youtube then looked it up, and it was an indie game.

I bet it will be made by the time the DS2 comes out. Man portability with the power of of a Gamecube, HOT DAMN that would be an amazing game.

Nivag:

It has such amazing potential though. The amazing huge free world, the finding, capturing and training of Poke'mon. And don't forget battling. I think an MMO is pretty much Poke'mon's destiny.

Sounds all great and amazing, until you try to balance bazillions of little critters at once.

A pokemon mmo sounds great at first thought, but it starts to crack when you put more thought into this, how would a pokemon mmo handle endgame?
I remember the hunter pet-balancing in wow, if you have 400different beasts, players will just find 3-10 "best" ones and everyone will run around carrying the same stuff.

Moriarty:

Nivag:

Sounds all great and amazing, until you try to balance bazillions of little critters at once.

A pokemon sounds great at first thought, but it starts to crack when you put more thought into this, how would a pokemon mmo handle endgame?
I remember the hunter pet-balancing in wow, if you have 400different beasts, players will just find 3-10 "best" ones and everyone will run around carrying the same stuff.

In competitive play people already do that.

Moriarty:

Nivag:

A pokemon mmo sounds great at first thought, but it starts to crack when you put more thought into this, how would a pokemon mmo handle endgame?

Already the case, endgame pokemon is pretty number crunchy, and has entire websites dedicated to theorycraft much the same as WoW, I mean the game is pretty balanced in on the DS, I mean sure there's some stuff like Wobuffet that's pretty op but for the most part it's a good system.

Moriarty:

Nivag:

I'm thinking the most realistic way would be to only implement the first generation, at least to start with, and also try to reflect which Pokémon are rare and powerful, IE there's only one of the legendary birds on each server etc. This might counteract the players who all catch the same creatures. It would also give enormous amounts of respect to the one who's flying his Zapdos over Pallet Town. Though, he's probably a dick.

Anyway, it's a great premise, but hard to develop, I'm afraid. That said, though, if turned into reality, I'd be all over it like the last cupcake on Christmas.

"Catching Them All" is a stupid, stupid goal, and you should be ashamed for even trying it, especially if you actually succeeded. After all, what was your reward? OH, THAT'S RIGHT, NOTHING. Except a sticker or ribbon or something.

Seriously, a pokemon MMO could work. As for balance and shit. TIER LISTS. God tiers can't PvP with Upper and Lower tiers.

Before we focus on an MMOG lets focus on a 3D Wii version that is similar to the normal games, not a crappy sin off that makes you catch shadow pokemon...

But an MMOG would be AMAZING!

Main advantage of keeping it offline: maintaining a younger demographic. A 4 year old wants to play Pokemon with his friend...

...offline: harmless

...but online? you need adult supervision factored in there. You need to design an interface and set of rules to prevent griefing and bullying(good luck with that). You need to do EVERYTHING perfect to prevent a moral panic or media scandal. A Pokemon MMO is a poison chalice.

Which brings the question up: What's so great about 4 year olds to a games company?

Answer - 4 years ago they weren't around. They see Pokemon for the first time when the new game comes out. They want it. And they don't find the concept jaded or boring. How could they? They haven't been alive for long enough to be bored with it, or to see the cartoon reruns a hundred times.

So its bought for them. Since parents see kids playing together at the very least they'll think its better than a young child sitting along playing games, so they're probably happier buying Pokemon than most one player games.

Keep selling to 4 year olds and you have STEADY SOURCE OF REVENUE (Heck, I bet all these annual Gameboy restylings and special editions are done for this exact reason). Which is madness* to abandon as a business model, especially with the global economy so messed up.

*Madness. Not Sparta.

I have been saying this for forever and a day. My brother, who plays WoW and other online games like that, argued me that the MMO community would never embrace Pokemon as an MMO, but I've argued that's not the community they would be after. I mean, I've never paid for an MMO in my life, and I'm generally a cheap bastard, but if there was a Pokemon offering, I would pay for it. Nintendo is foolish for ignoring this.

The Cake Is Annoying:
-snip-

Nothing to stop them keep selling for the DS, besides the main player base for pokemon is Twenty something, pokemon is actually quite advanced and nerdy once you get to the endgame stuff, also you do NOT need to do everything kiddy friendly and perfectly to stop a moral scandal, I dont see WoW, WaR, Eve or anything ever having created a scandal.

Besides I hardly see a 4yo having the concentration to play a Pokemon MMO online, they;d be catering to the older demographic, the one's who want a pokemon MMO, like myself.

John Funk:

Is Pokemon actually a Massively Multiplayer Offline RPG?

Read Full Article

Bro, I did the same thing with my starter. Vaporeon: Unstoppable.

Also, wasn't there a fan-made Poke'mon MMO?

Interesting idea. I want to get back into the Pokémon scene, I haven't bought a game in years, and as soon as I get a DS, I'm buying Soul Silver. (But I still want a bloody remake of Crystal!) The Gold/Silver generation was in my opinion the best. It had the best of all Pokémons, and it didn't do too much. Another example of the theory "First game good, second game awesome, third game less than awesome"

If I see someone playing their copy of Pokemon, I can walk up to them and challenge them to a battle

Or, you can take into account the userbase of ShoddyBattle and NetBattle, and just do it randomly.

*cough* Mystery Dungeon *cough* Although, that does sound like you are describing the OU tier of regular match-ups.

if there was then everyone would wait for like six hours to fight one gym leader.

Yeah a Pokemon MMO done, and done well would probably do well in the MMO market

It's not a WoW clone, it could probably be played PvP or PvE, depending on what you want to go after (Trainer battles, Legendary Pokemon/Gymleader/Elite Four Battles)

Balance it right and you've got one exciting premise.

I don't Nintendo will ever put out a Pokemon MMO. I think they might've said something to that fact, too.

But if it did ever happen, day one launch for me. It could easily be the greatest game ever made.

Skullkid4187:
if there was then everyone would wait for like six hours to fight one gym leader.

How do you think they dealt with that problem in WoW? It has 12 (?) million players. How would they all fight Arthas if they had to fight him one at a time?

Hmmm, well I've put a couple hours into Pokemon recently, so I know more about it than I used to. To be honest I think this basic idea could make a good MMORPG, but Pokemon itself would not work well with the idea. The world and basic mechanics are too geared around the idea of a single player experience being at the core. It's also I feel a bit too cutesy to be a major success, despite the people it would draw in just with the "Pokemon" name.

Truthfully though, a game in a similar vein to the Shin Megami Tensei games that take themselves more seriously, and balance the cute with the grotesque (Mara deserves some kind of award) seems like it could be successful. Especially seeing as using a new world for it would prevent problems with trying to balance existing creatures for an MMO enviroment.

So far I've seen a number of games with a certain degree of potential that even had players commanding groups of characters rather than a single one. Both the defunct "Gods and Heroes" (which I betaed, I think I have the name right), and "Sword Of The New World" involved a concept where you were commanding a band of characters either outright, or a single persistant hero who collected followers. Obtaining additional characters and/or monsters for your "family" or "camp" was a key component to the game and a reward right alongside the equipment/weapons/armor/etc...

The idea definatly has potential, but the experiments with it have failed so far. I do see the potential if a big developer with a decent budget decided to give it a spin however.

Truthfully though I suspect such a game would require a lot of depth as well, more so than Pokemon has (despite what some people think) for example, the focus on Pokemon is entirely on the Pokemon themselves, you don't see trainers getting involved in battles or anything themselves. Heck, I don't think I've ever even seen any adult characters running around with weapons, never mind the presumed legions of people who are not involved with the Pokemon. This can work within the simple confines of a gameboy game, but truthfully in an MMORPG all of this would need to be worked on, and that would involve doubtlessly working on a far less interesting concept where the characters would be just as much a factor as whatever minions they happened to collect (Much like Gods and Heroes tried to do).

Such are my thoughts.

Skullkid4187:

Gym Leader = Instance. Problem solved

Fake Edit: DAMN NINJAED

elvor0:
gief Pokemon MMO! or at least make the games have 3D battles ><

Ive seen some on the Wii...you can play online and do battles with people online.

Looks pretty cool

Angerwing:

Skullkid4187:

How do you think they dealt with that problem in WoW? It has 12 (?) million players. How would they all fight Arthas if they had to fight him one at a time?

Gym leader instance Ninja'd >.<

I agree, a Pokemon MMOG would be amazing if done well, but I don't see it happening.

Damn you Funk! you almost gave me a heart attack when i saw pokemon and MMOG in the same sentence! god i would jizz in my pants if i heard it was being officially planned by Nintendo...god i'd be happy!

My friend once sent an email to Nintendo, requesting and explaining how it could work as an MMO, but for some reason he never got a reply....

I think it would be a fantastic idea, but it would suffer form all the problems WoW does, but then again, I guess WoW is still popular! High end Pokemon is already kind of complicated and I don't know if concepts like effort values and such would work as a MMO concept.

Would love to see it though! I'd be on it all the time!

twitchingace:

Angerwing:

Skullkid4187:

Gym leader instance Ninja'd >.<

I agree, a Pokemon MMOG would be amazing if done well, but I don't see it happening.

I saw the original message :P I was referring to the instance aspect of it, cos Arthas (the actual fight at least) comes only in flavours of 10 and 25 players.

But yeah, instancing the gym leaders would remove all problems.

OT: I think it would be odd. Would it be turn-based free-roaming (with a time limit on moves, so you don't get griefers who duel then AFK) similar to the gameboy games, but in 3D? Or would it be strategic button mashing and run/pivoting like in WoW? What would the rules be on trading (because if there were no limits it would be easy to twink someone incredibly)? Would the trainer him/herself have actual skills and abilities?

I think it would be possible.

It is an ambitious project, but Nintendo could pull it off. As long as they don't call it the WoW killer, it has a pretty good chance of succeeding.

A Pokémon MMO would be a very interesting example of game design. There'd be a great opportunity to see success or failure depending entirely on design decisions made at the highest level. Basically, the core question is: "How similar do we keep it to Pokémon handheld games?"

If you kept it precisely the same, but with multiple players running around the world, it'd fall over pretty quickly. Player #2 would defeat every second trainer (at best!), or just destroy them all (at worst). This amounts to halving the challenge and XP-reward of the game. And that's just coop.

I would like to see someone give this a serious shot - implementing 5-man PvE instances, somehow, or setting up tournament brackets for players, rare legendaries, etc. I mean, a 360 hour spawn for Lugia would be pretty insane.

Massive expansion of the "secret base" concept would work quite well, and there are many many systems which would scale excellently to many players.

I think if you had tournaments with level caps, you could try to encourage people running "twink" teams rather than having everyone camp the top end. I think a level 40 tournament would be an interesting sort of level to pick. Doesn't take too long to get there, does limit some of the craziest evolutions and techniques. Make it as rewarding as a level 100 tournament to encourage participation.

But I really, really doubt that Gamefreak or Nintendo as a whole even have the capacity to develop such a Massive game.

nothing was better for a 2 day car trip than starting a new game of pokemon with my brother and then fighting it out at the end of the trip to see who was the better trainer

what would the world have become without the invention of Pokemon? i wonder that every now and then...

If they ever make a pokemon MMO they might as well just proclaim me dead because I will vanish off the radar till my reserves of money dry up.

Orcus_35:
what would the world have become without the invention of Pokemon? i wonder that every now and then...

A dry boring husk of repetetive FPS sequels that never innovate and MMO after MMO that is dry and lacking trying feverishly to be better than the one that managed to just be itself.
`
Oh...shit...So basically the exact same thing.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here