Zero Punctuation: Heavy Rain

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Man I don't get Yatzhee sometimes. It's funny and he's a really great guy, but what's he exactly trying to get at?

He keeps on complaining about lazy sequels, cookie-cutter bland adventures and an overall lack of originality, but then he doesn't do anything about it. He keeps on reviewing shitty, mainstream titles instead of maybe branching out a bit to show us some better games. He said that 'noone likes it when I'm being nice', but that's just not true. His Psychonauts review owned, I bet thousands of people picked that up and tried it because of his recommendation. I did. He just doesn't do anything about it. He has a viewership of millions, he really could pitch some new concepts at us instead of whining and repeating the same tripe.

So the pacing is off? I strongly disagree. In order for these 'visceral' moments to work, the pacing has to be balanced with high to low moments. Like in great movies, starting slow is often extremely helpfull because it makes the more accelerated bits seem more extreme. It's supposed to be a murder mistery like 'Misery' or 'Don't Look Now', it's always good to set these up in the frameworks of common lifes to get the necessary shock value later on. U2 was great, but the shoot-bang-bang formula will only work so well, and no single moment is able to stand out. Excessive action is really a problem in modern entertainment.

I loved the beginning of this game. You really don't know what to expect. It starts incredibly slow. Ridiculously slow. I sure as hell made some jokes about it, while I was playing it (like shake contoller after the peeing animation), but it still worked because it was new and set the frame works. My mother was interested in the game from watching the first 10 minutes, that says it all (and she's very hard to get interested in games). The only thing she's been interested in in this medium is The Last Guardian, because it resembles the imaginative.

I don't mind that he doesn't like it. Hell there are loads of things that I didn't like about it. Voice acting was extremely unbalanced, it relied on a fair share of clichees and the timing that the game is on can be iritating at times. But it was a breath of fresh air in the current releases. Atleast he can highlight that it does some new things, instead of giving people the impression that this is a Sims game.

I feel obligated to jump into this discussion and tell this so-called critic and his followers what Heavy Rain is really about. This video that does nothing more and nothing less than rants on an ingenious game is in my opinion a valuable waste of internet space and the biggest load of ass paint I have ever seen.

If you didn't get the point of the emotional immersion in the story and the bond you create with the characters, you have failed to understand the point of Heavy Rain. Do take notice of the fact that the majority of the reviewers are giving this game 90 at least. That says a lot about you and your "understanding" of the fact that these characters are supposed to be portrayed as real people with a life. But apparently, all you want are artificial characters with no realistic background that are always getting their heads blown off for no apparent reason.

So in conclusion: you have lost all credibility, Yahtzee, if you ever had any to begin with. The only thing missing is the spoiling of the Origami Killer's identity. That would have really been the finishing touch on this mountain of wannabe review crap.

Yes, this is my opinion and I'm not changing a single word. Feel free to ban me.

D4zZ:
I can't tell if these are spoilers or not.
Guess I'll have to play it to find out!

Yeah the one where he talks about cutting your finger off is one :/

A1:

JaredXE:

A1:

delta46:
WAnk!
wank !
Wank!
Wank!

I'm glad that someone saw it was just a big quicktime event

Excuse me? At what point did Yahtzee actually describe the game as such?

I believe it's the part where he says the QTE's are the core, skin, seed and whole fucking apple tree of the game.

But that's because I payed attention.

I payed attention to that too. He never uses the words "a big quicktime event".

And sorry if I come off as rude but it seems that you're just using your own preconceived idea as an interpretation of Yahtzee's words. One could just as easily say that Yahtzee means that QTEs are a very essential part of the game. This would seem to be an especially valid interpretation in light of the fact that he also indicates that QTE's are not the only part of the game.

Based on how Yahtzee started the review I would say the 2:00 to 2:08 part *does* give the impression the game is a long series of QTE in the tradition of an interactive movie with not much in the interactivity department. Hence the comment about the movie reviewer wondering why the "movie" is 10 hours long.

for some unknown reason I cant watch this weeks review :(

Hey, I'm not in the controversy game (anymore), so I don't feel the need to rant about games, but I will say this: Heavy Rain is one of those games that are more interesting than enjoyable. Which is not to say that it isn't enjoyable, it's just that it makes me kind of wish that somebody took the ideas in it and ran with them to some glorious place where a new kind of videogame is waiting for all of us.

Heavy Rain is not that, and I know it. It is a cool "interactive movie" thingy, but its obstinate refusal to have... well, gameplay, is as artistically brave as it is unappealing. They have developed a way to make anguish, fear and pain interactive. That is awesome. Now, when you have this really cool actual game and you want to put those things in it when you need them rather than chainsawing another bad guy to death, you can.

Please somebody go do that. Right now. Please.

TOp notch analogies out there tonight, Mr. Crowshaw

Your inventiveness as a novelist is a credit to all writers everywhere

Wow ... so basically this game is the QTE 500!? Freaking sweet!

Joa_Belgium:
do take notice of the fact that the majority of the reviewers are giving this game 90 at least. That says a lot about you and your "understanding" of the fact that these characters are supposed to be portrayed as real people with a life.

"Everyone else liked this game" means shit.

But apparently, all you want are artificial characters with no realistic background that are always getting their heads blown off for no apparent reason.

Is this the only review of his you've ever seen?

Being British and getting European games, i remember Fahrenheit... i remember loving it too, it was my first game with Quick-time events and because they were essentially how you fought and did about 80% of the game (the rest being walking around, trying to cover up/find clues, attempting to find key storyline impliments... oh, or more QTE's ;p), so i found it quite enjoyable... i found it thrilling during the cutscenes, i got fully immersed in the parts where i was walking around, pulling back sheets i'd covered up only half an hour ago etc.
plus, i found the story quite good... then again, i only got up to the bit where the main character has flashbacks of his childhood at some Army-place... apparently it all goes to pot only 5 minutes later.

And from what i've interpreted from Yahtzee, is that "Heavy Rain" is "Fahrenheit 2" with a little life-simulation to start off... so i think i'll get it

whats that, PS3 exclusive... craaap

Yahtzee didn't attack the QTE half as much as I thought he would, haha.

Overall, I thought Heavy Rain was pretty good, but the writing was a bit bizarre to say the least.

Great review. Loved it. Kind of afraid for FFXIII and GOWIII. Both seem to be rehash of previous titles. I wonder if he'll actually review them or skip them for something else.

The thing you have to give Heavy Rain is at least it's an experiment with the establishment as video games as a story driven medium. Not to contest any other titles in their ability to tell a good story, which they can very much do and in some cases better then any other medium, but after the parade of stoic shooters and selflessly heroic rpg's it's good to break apart the formula to see what else you can do.

D4zZ:
I can't tell if these are spoilers or not.

Not unless the killer was a 16 ton weight.

Seems a nice game to play when you have absolutely nothing to do and you have played every other game there is out there at the moment. If I had a ps3 I'd check it out at least.

mike1921:

Joa_Belgium:
do take notice of the fact that the majority of the reviewers are giving this game 90 at least. That says a lot about you and your "understanding" of the fact that these characters are supposed to be portrayed as real people with a life.

"Everyone else liked this game" means shit.

But apparently, all you want are artificial characters with no realistic background that are always getting their heads blown off for no apparent reason.

Is this the only review of his you've ever seen?

Intelligent posters need not appply.

They obvious don't get it so you might as well let them dwell in their own shiny little world.

i figured this would be somewhat how he felt about the game.

Wauw, I have watched all the Zero Punctuation episodes multiple times by now, but this one is by far the best. He's not even completely hating it, yet at the same time gets to the core and destroys it. Fantastic!

First game Yahtzee liked more than me.

I thought it was terrible in every aspect. glad I only rented it.

I actually quite liked it.
By the by, "Heavy Complain"?
That is a stretch.

Thought I loved it I can fully understand while others would not. The start is slow, but I think it needed to be. This is obviously a work of love,
based on the way he lost his own son. This is his grieving process and I think quite an amazing one.

Of course, I loved Shenmue as well, so I also just enjoy a mood deepening leisurely pace.

I don't own a PS3 myself,but I will just give me my 2 cents.I played Fahrenheit and I enjoyed it even though 90% of the game was QTE.Heavy Rain on the other hand I have watched gameplay movies and I can say that I can agree with Yahtzee with his statements.

On the other hand,I would consider buying it if I'd own a PS3,just putting it out there :)

PS: Another funny review,good job!

Most of the review is pretty accurate, except for the end where he implies that he knew who the killer was going to be from the start.

I, on the other hand, was blown away when I found out who the real killer was, mostly because of the fact they drop a crapload of false clues in the story to make you think it's different people throughout the story.

Maybe Yahtzee is just psychic...

delta46:
WAnk!
wank !
Wank!
Wank!

I'm glad that someone saw it was just a big quicktime event

Well, most of those I've seen talk about it says it is, and it really fucking IS!!! When they announced the movie I thought that would be the game except they removed the buttons you need to press.

I didn't want him to do a review of this game because I thought I knew what he'd say about it. I was wrong, he did surprise me and I love this review.

Wasn't gonna get it before, still not gonna get it now. I watched a friend play and I can honestly tell you it was the most boring game I have ever seen. Bad gameplay, bad pacing, bad characters, bad story.

This review deserves a hearty WHAT THE FUCK!!!

Im gonna have to watch it another 5 times just to get everything he said.

Bravo good sir BRAvooooo

Eagle Est1986:
Huh, early this week, I assume there's been a day-light saving change somewhere in the world that isn't here?
Kinda disappointed he even reviewed this to be honest, not his best. Still, Final Fantasy XIII and God Of War III soon, can't wait!

I wouldn't hold my breath for a FF XIII review from Yahtzee He's been quite clear on his thoughts of JRPGs. Finished God of War III today. It may be my new third favorite game ever. Super epic.

OT: This was the funniest review of his in months. Shampoo-drinkingly will have to be added to my lexicon of awesome Yahtzee-inspired adverbs.

When i saw the review supplement for Heavy Rain I knew Yaz would rip it a new one, I was not disapointed.

nice episode yathzee next god of war 3

Funny as always but im still getting this, mostly just to get a break from all the gods of war rip offs and power armored space marines! :-P

Joa_Belgium:
I feel obligated to jump into this discussion and tell this so-called critic and his followers what Heavy Rain is really about. This video that does nothing more and nothing less than rants on an ingenious game is in my opinion a valuable waste of internet space and the biggest load of ass paint I have ever seen.

If you didn't get the point of the emotional immersion in the story and the bond you create with the characters, you have failed to understand the point of Heavy Rain. Do take notice of the fact that the majority of the reviewers are giving this game 90 at least. That says a lot about you and your "understanding" of the fact that these characters are supposed to be portrayed as real people with a life. But apparently, all you want are artificial characters with no realistic background that are always getting their heads blown off for no apparent reason.

So in conclusion: you have lost all credibility, Yahtzee, if you ever had any to begin with. The only thing missing is the spoiling of the Origami Killer's identity. That would have really been the finishing touch on this mountain of wannabe review crap.

Yes, this is my opinion and I'm not changing a single word. Feel free to ban me.

You should meet up with the people who were extremely upset about Yahtzee's review of Halo 3....and the ones who were upset about his review of Metal Gear Solid 4....and Super Smash Bros. Brawl...and -wait, what was reviewed last week? I've already forgotten, but I'm sure someone complained about how Yahtzee wasn't a real reviewer and blah blah blah last week too.

And hey, funny you should mention 'opinion'. Look it up sometime.

Someone said something bad about the game you love. Get over it. Many of us already have. If you can't get over it, just go back to playing the game and enjoying it. No reason to get all riled up because someone on the internet doesn't have the same unconditional love for it that you have.

hmm..

I already spoilered myself in the forum, seeing how I'm unlikely to play this game anytime soon but shouldn't that info about the killer be in a spoiler tag?

ForgottenPr0digy:
I'm surprised Yathzee actually like the game

Interesting interpretation of, "as a game, it's a stack of poo poo pancakes."

That's pretty much what I derived from researching it, really. It's not so much a game as it is a cinematic experience. Then, it's not so much a cinematic experience as it is a movie with some elements of interactions being rendered on PS3 hardware.

On the other hard, it did make Yahtzee highly uncomfortable, so it served as an excellent game for a Zero Punctuation review.

pretty much exactly what i expected of his review and the game.

still, very entertaining review, if the game was on PC id consider buying it

Hm, I hear Heavy Rain is really good, so I'll probably buy it, but I didn't like this episode that much. Yahtzee's pacing and tone sound rushed and really off.

Oh wow, for a game he kinda liked, he really obliterated it! Very funny video!

Definately one of his funniest reviews, I hope he will do God of War III soon, and maybe even FFXIII. I know he's not too keen on JRPGs but he did do Valkyria Chronicles, so yeah...

Anyways I loved the bit, "Baron von Teapot's fucking ludicrous adventure". :P

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or