Why I Won't Be Playing God of War 3

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Why I Won't Be Playing God of War 3

Some games should be seen and not played.

Read Full Article

You can watch me play God of War 3 any time.

...........that sounded better in my head.

Am I the only person here who got mega man 10 instead?

OT: I'm teaming up with my brother to beat all three in one sitting.

It does look awesome. I won't be playing as I don't have a PS3. :(

Oddly enough, I'm expecting this to link me to an article that says "I don't own a PS3".

I've never, ever played a game which was better to watch than to play. I find that someone else playing gives me the urge to play myself, and I can usually (if not always) take in the scenery while I am playing. Besides, watching the entire game would be like watching a 10 hour movie, but with the DVD going back to the start of the chapter every now and again;.

Cpt_Oblivious:
Oddly enough, I'm expecting this to link me to an article that says "I don't own a PS3".

Huh? I do have a PS3. I even took it with me on vacation. Maybe I'm just confused by what you're saying.

My girlfriend has been yelling at me for not playing FFXIII near enough for her to keep up with the story. She also thinks I suck for not playing Valkyria Chronicles enough.

I had 2 people specifically request nights watching me play Fallout 3. Read that sentence again, please. My roommate insisted I tell him when the final showdown in both BioShock and BioShock 2 was about to happen, so he could watch. His brother stopped by while I was playing Arkham Asylum one night, and he's been trying to reschedule a visit to see that again since.

They aren't asking to play. they want to watch.

You are not alone, Susan. There seems to be a growing group of happy spectators.

I agree. I couldn't play Uncharted 2 for more than a few minutes before getting frustrated, then I had a friend play it and it was massively enjoyable.
I wont be playing OR buying GoW 3 because I felt like there should not have been a second one. The first one made sense: Ares turned on Kratos, Kratos is pissed, Kratos kills Ares. I felt like the whole of the second one's story came out of left field.
I'll just replay 1, thank you very much.

Now surely a lovely woman as yourself has someone in mind?

Couldn't you do both? I do that all the time. I played all of MGS4, then watched (and helped) a friend play it. We also did this for Ninja Gaiden 2 (whihc is inherently cinematic if you have a really good player playing (which I am not); the camera is great for excellent players, sucky for everyone else).

My sister loves horror movies but can't play through scary games as she finds it much more frightening when she's in control. This leaves me having to play through a lot of games when she's too scared to play but is still interested in the story.

I kinda see your piont....

When a game grips you by the balls the way GoW3 does, the fantastic visuals take a backseat since you're to involved in disemboweling centaurs. By that fact the visual experience maybe better just watching someone play.

....But it's God of War 3, for christ's sake! Do yourself a favor Miss Arendt and just play this freaking behemoth of a game!

Susan, I would fly out there on my own dime to play God of War 3 for you.

I managed to pick up the Ultimate Edition yesterday (cause I'm a huge nerd) and have had just a blast playing it. Granted I am only an hour or so in. I am still in Hades.

The game looks great, plays like I would expect it to play and will hopefully wrap up the story in a nice pretty bloody bow.

Susan Arendt:

Cpt_Oblivious:

Huh? I do have a PS3. I even took it with me on vacation. Maybe I'm just confused by what you're saying.

It's just my strange sense of humour, don't worry.

Wait, you took your PS3 on vacation? That's serious gaming commitment, the best I manage is a DS.

Dead Space, Condemned and Silent Hill are all far scarier when you take on the role of observer with no direct control over your fate. Sometimes a game's hands-off enjoyment value has less to do with the content and more with the gameplay. Playing a good shooter is always fun, but watching my infinitely more-skilled husband pull off moves I could never dream of achieving is entertainment worthy of its own bowl of popcorn.

This is true for me, as well. I can't play horror games anymore - I just don't get scared by them. There are enemies, I have a weapon, I destroy the enemies with the weapon. The hours I spent being bored by Dead Space didn't even approach the level of fear and adrenaline that watching my clumsy friend stumble through Mirror's Edge invoked in me.

Cpt_Oblivious:

Susan Arendt:

Cpt_Oblivious:

Just because Susan has a functioning brain and expresses opinions nuanced enough to occasionally be interpreted as hostile to Sony and PS3, I can assure you of the following provable facts:

1) She owns a PS3 and plays it. I have her gamertag.
2) She likes the platform, enough so that she would like to see it improve, and the only path to that is informed criticism.
3) She's not a troll, cabbage, or any other non-human sort of thing. She's 100% homo sapien gamericus and on your side (that being the PS3's side) more than you might think.

So, please, no baiting. Wait for her to actually say something you disagree with to start stoking the furnace.

SaintWaldo:
-blah blah blah-

What? That's not baiting, nor stoking the furnace of the metaphorical anything. And who's side am I on?

What the hell are you talking about man?!

i happen to accidentally watch my brother play for a few hours. it's almost as entertaining as playing the game yourself. i like seeing how someone else handles a situation and compare it to what i would have done. that works better with a game than with a movie because the player is right next to you.
i have almost entirely watched mgs3 but haven't played it much.
when i'm watching i do want to pick up the controller myself some time. i'm not going to only watch if i haven't played the game yet!

I feel this way about a lot of QTE games. Not that GOW is all QTE, but usually, when Kratos is doing his QTE thing, that's when the best scenes are. And I feel like I'm missing some of it by playing it.

But then again, if I have to watch someone else do it, and they won't let me try, my fingers start to itch... such torment I cannot stand.

Cpt_Oblivious:

Your joke was subtle and looked like hostility. I read it again and laughed.

Everything I said is still true.

This is creepily close to the exact reason I shant be getting it, despite (or maybe because of) the demo.

Cpt_Oblivious:

And this as well.

Cpt_Oblivious:

Susan Arendt:

Cpt_Oblivious:

Wait, you took your PS3 on vacation? That's serious gaming commitment, the best I manage is a DS.

My husband and I often take a small LCD T.V. with us, along with our PS3 and or 360. If we're driving that is. Many hotel rooms don't have the right hookups.

It's a pain in the ass, but so worth it when you can't sleep in those strange beds and are up late at night.

I would but been in the UK! Damn lol.

I can agree with you on the points though, and, it does make for fine game to watch from what I saw.

I watched Dante's Inferno been played and that was entertaining!

meganmeave:

Cpt_Oblivious:

Susan Arendt:

Cpt_Oblivious:

My husband and I often take a small LCD T.V. with us, along with our PS3 and or 360. If we're driving that is. Many hotel rooms don't have the right hookups.

It's a pain in the ass, but so worth it when you can't sleep in those strange beds and are up late at night.

I need to up my game for my next holiday then, a simple handheld just doesn't seem to cut it any more.

Though to play anything in the car I'd need loads of extension cords...

I totally agree with this article...was late to work today cuz i stared in slack jawed amazement as someone who works in the video game store beat the shit out of Poseidon...then QTE'd his ass to death...it was awesome...

Cpt_Oblivious:

meganmeave:

Cpt_Oblivious:

Susan Arendt:

Cpt_Oblivious:

I need to up my game for my next holiday then, a simple handheld just doesn't seem to cut it any more.

Though to play anything in the car I'd need loads of extension cords...

We rented a cabin in the mountains, and I brought along the PS3 so I could play Heavy Rain at my leisure. (And got totally boned by the PSN snafu that erased trophies, but I digress.) It snowed for four days straight, so it was really nice to be able to just download a movie at night and watch some DVDs that we'd brought with us. I also read three books and played in the snow with the dog. :)

This article actually raises a question to me instead of providing me with answers.

Which is more glee-inducing, so to say, in GoW3? The scenery or the gameplay?

Me and my younger brother know exactly what you mean. Watching him play heavy rain was pretty sweet.

Cpt_Oblivious:

SaintWaldo:
-blah blah blah-

What? That's not baiting, nor stoking the furnace of the metaphorical anything. And who's side am I on?

What the hell are you talking about man?!

Make the fire captain, full speed ahead!

I find that I don't mind watching someone else play a game as long as their better at it than me. I get frustrated watching someone make mistakes and whatnot, especially if it's an RPG.

SaintWaldo:

Cpt_Oblivious:

Susan Arendt:

Cpt_Oblivious:

Just because Susan has a functioning brain and expresses opinions nuanced enough to occasionally be interpreted as hostile to Sony and PS3, I can assure you of the following provable facts:

1) She owns a PS3 and plays it. I have her gamertag.
2) She likes the platform, enough so that she would like to see it improve, and the only path to that is informed criticism.
3) She's not a troll, cabbage, or any other non-human sort of thing. She's 100% homo sapien gamericus and on your side (that being the PS3's side) more than you might think.

So, please, no baiting. Wait for her to actually say something you disagree with to start stoking the furnace.

Some games are more theatrical experiences then they are game playing experiences. Makes sense, it was probably the same thing for me and Prototype. Just watching the silly carnage unravel would have been enough for me.

posting glitched on me, move on

There are some games that this principle does not hold true. Super Smash Brothers, for instance. In highly cinematic and story-based games like Heavy Rain, God of War 3, Dead Space, and Uncharted 2, it can be easily entertaining for some people to just sit and watch instead of play. But in non-cinematic games (particularly 2-D fighters and FPS's) I find myself itching to grab a controller.

reg42:
I've never, ever played a game which was better to watch than to play.

I have.
1) The Touhou games. I can NOT do bullet hell games for the life of me, but those swirling geometric patterns and the high-octane music keep me captivated.

2) I Wanna Be The Guy.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or