Escape to the Movies: Repo Men

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Wait... A setting that seems somewhat Cyberpunkish... With Jude Law... I'm sold.

I don't normally comment on featured content threads, but I came on with the express intention of pointing out how much this thing rips of Repo!... However I seem to have been ninja'd several times. Suprised Movie Bob didn't pick up on it.

GameGoddess101:
REPO MEN IS A BIG PHAIL TRAIN!!!
It's bodily ripped off from Repo: The Genetic Opera.
They practically used the same goddamn script.
So yeah.... anything that is seen as original in this movie is actually ripped off from Repo: The Genetic Opera.
But whatever.

You're absolutly right. However, the two movies are chasing completely different core audiences. Considering that and the casting, where's the harm? You know that when Law and Whitaker knew this was a fun paycheck film and will try to outdo each other when on camera together.

you should see it because its sick.

Well done on selling it there so no thanks.

Seriously gore gets mentioned in a giggly childlike fashion nearly every review that happens to be above a 12A cert on this board and as soon as it gets mentioned the mind starts going "BLAH BLAH BLAH BLOOD, GORE OMFG SICK MAN, BUCKETS LOL BLAH BLAH BLAH WHATEVER" and like that sentence its pretty infantile.

If the selling point is "hur hur sexy surgery OMFG man gotta watch it!" then its definately a check out later when its on the shelves because im tired of the retarded controversy everyone tries to sell to you when they basically want to TRY THEIR HARDEST to be the most hardcore.

Good review, but I've never heard Carice van Houten's name being pronounced any worse.

I know dutch is hard, it took me 7 years to learn it too.

You pronounce the name: Ka (as in Karate) Ree (as in Reese) S (as in snake), van (the a as in water), Hou (like How) ten (as in... well, ten).

I'm sorry if I seem like a grammar Nazi, but if you are willing to learn how to pronounce Antonioni or Godard you must be willing to learn some other names too.

Forgive me because I have seen either Repo! or Repo Men, but is it really a rip off or is it just a remake? Because it would seem strange to rip off a film and then have virtually the same title. Frankly whatever it is it doesn't bother me, I don't care about people saying Avatar is Dances with Wolves because you know what, Avatar is better! Just becuase the premise is essentially the same in a film, the plots are different and for me that makes it ok.

Oh and when I heard sex/surgery/hacking scene, I was sold.

The premise sounds silly. I generally agree with everything else in this review, but it still doesn't sound like enough to make me want to see this movie.

I have yet to see Repo Men.But nothing,and I mean nothing will ever one up the hallway/hammer scene in Oldboy.

I'm a bit surprised when Moviebob mentioned the "film that must not be named" in the end credits. By the end of the review, I was convinced he'd just never heard of said film. I mean there where so many hints about how this ripped off REPO! The Genetic Opera sprinkled in his summary, I almost expected him to turn 180 and start bashing the film.

Seriously though, don't let Paris Hilton's bit part fool you. If you can find a copy of REPO! hidden in a video store or find it playing at a grindhouse, I recommend you watch it instead. Somewhat because I like to support the underdog, somewhat because Repomen is based of a blatant ripoff written by Eric Garcia, somewhat because it has Paris Hilton having a humiliating moment when her face literally falls off, but mainly because IT HAS GILES SINGING ABOUT RIPPING PEOPLE APART!!!

GameGoddess101:
So yeah.... anything that is seen as original in this movie is actually ripped off from Repo: The Genetic Opera.
But whatever.

Thank you. My sentiments EXACTLY.

Plus Repo the Genetic Opera was a much better movie.

Haven't read the book (don't know if that other Repo movie is based on it as well) but it seems to have a world like a cross between Chuck Palahniuk and William Gibson? Is that safe to presume? Because even that will get me to see it though it might have passed through some pg-13 dumbing down which would not be good.

To all the bashing Avatar was given for story "similar" to Dances with wolves etc. Hmm, the review mentions other 2 sf movies, but I'd add that Avatar is right up there with the description of characterstics (main character changing sides and others) that were described (although I guess Avatar just didn't make the list).
But you see that you can say that it has similar characteristics, but the difference here is - something can have the same basic story (destinct from premise as Bob did), there aren't that many mainstream ones, but you wouldn't compare Repo men to Avatar quite as easily...don't want to start an argument or anything, just noticing.

Onyx Oblivion:
Hmm...Forest and Jude.

HOW DID THIS MATCH HAPPEN?!

Those two in the same movie is something I never thought I'd see.

And yet, they were absolutely fantastic together. Really palpable chemistry between those two, especially in the first act.

OT: Bob, I gotta say this may be the first review you've done that I disagreed with. You thought this movie was really good, I thought it was fucking great. OK, well, we're only differing by degrees, and all the points you brought up were quite valid. And sadly, I was in an audience of only 15 people, so the freak-out wasn't nearly as grand as it should have been (except in my own panicked sphere of senses). But the real world implications of the premise were enough to keep me entranced and actively thinking about the movie for the entire duration - except maybe for parts of that bizarre third act.

For those too lazy to look for other reviews here we are.

So far, the film has received generally negative reviews. It currently holds a "generally unfavorable" score of 29 out of 100 at the review aggregator Metacritic, based on 11 reviews from mainstream critics. It also holds a "Rotten" score of 16% at Rotten Tomatoes, based on 37 reviews. The site's consensus is, "Repo Men has an intriguing premise, as well as a likable pair of leads, but they're wasted on a rote screenplay, indifferent direction, and mind-numbing gore."

Once again, Repo: TGO has been ripped the **** off. And those involved with TGO have shown much more class by not suing these scam artists back to the stoneage... class I would readily admit I would lack given the same choice.

Jaredin:

Simalacrum:
ugh, I shant be watching it then, I don't like gore for the sake of gore...

Same. I dont like blood just because it can be there and for no other purpose.

Ill be skipping it too.

Nice review though bob!

I'll be agreeing with these two guys. I've just been turned off by all the movies out there these days, which only have gore in it, just for the sake of just having gore in it. To me, it needs to serve a purpose. It's the reason why horror films in the past decade have gone downhill, because they concentrate way too much on the blood and gore scenes, and not enough on the story of the film itself. Repomen does sound ok, but I'm probably going to wait until it's out on DVD to watch it. I'm not going to the theater to see it, even if it has a strange sex/surgery/computer hacking scene all mixed together for a few moments. Still, interesting review Moviebob.

see i dont much care for this movie for the sole reason: It rips off another even better movie whole heartedly...called.. REPO the Genetic Opera. The premise is the same, and the story is mildly the same as well. Repo man relizes what hes done and goes after the corporate bad guys. Now if you want something both original and amazing as well as funny i suggest Repo... NOT repo men...REPO the genetic opera.

though it does contain rock opera, but hey its made with some of the same guys from SAW, so you know its good and bloody

simmeh:
The second you started to describe it, my thoughts were, "oh no, its Equilibrium again..."

I personally thought Equilibrium was a pretty lame movie, so selling Repo Men as something similar isn't going to work on me.

Gore isn't really a selling point for me either, so I think I'll just skip this one.

It's a good thing then that he's reviewing the movie, not selling it. :P

OT: Probably going to see this movie sometime, it sounds fun.

I have to question Equilibrium's spot in that top-three. I can't help comparing it to Avatar: Awesome visual style, awesome action, awesome characters, barely adequate story.

On Black Book (aka Zwartboek): I agree. Go see it. It's great. Also, it's a 'hoot' to hear Americans trying to pronounce a Dutch name like "van Houten". :P

When I first saw commercials for this I thought it looked like generic crap. Turns out I was right, a good review though you definitely touched on the points that I was curious about. Definitely not seeing this though.

simmeh:
The second you started to describe it, my thoughts were, "oh no, its Equilibrium again..."

I personally thought Equilibrium was a pretty lame movie, so selling Repo Men as something similar isn't going to work on me.

Gore isn't really a selling point for me either, so I think I'll just skip this one.

I agree with this post, Equilibrium? One of the top three science fiction films of recent years? That film was utter cack it was like an MTV music video stretched out of 90 minutes.

Sex surgery and computer hacking? That nows a concept you can sell

Yeah..."Sick" and "Recommendation" only go together for me when I'm getting a doctor's advice. And I turned off Repo: TGO because it just rubbed me the wrong way. A movie that is the same only more so makes me want to do a whole lot of not watching it.

I'm suprised the review didn't mention "Repo!", glad other people have though xD

FFKonoko:
Monty Python: The Meaning of Life? Just before the galaxy song, two guys show up to take the guys liver.

The Island, and Clonus were also closer than Jeepers Creepers regarding organ taking, I suppose.

And The Island itself is a total futuristic ripoff of an amazing children's book called called House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer

Yes it's premise & most of the plot is ripped straight out of Repo!, down to the name itself. But Repo!'s premise is hardly original itself & tbh it was begging for a generic sci-fi action movie to be made out of it so no surprise they did so.

Is there a rock opera in this movie? No? Well then it fails because another movie did it first and did it better.

"I am only living out a lie!"

GameGoddess101:
But whatever.

Beat me to it! Everyone who saw Repo: The Genetic Opera isn't going to see this move.

Forest Whittaker is SUCH a damn good actor. Why he's not in more movies is beyond me, because he's pure 24 carat gold in most of them. The Last King of Scotland was amazing because he totally nailed Idi Amin.

Isn't the Matrix very Surgery/Hacking/Sex with Neo/Trinity though?

Mr. Gency:

GameGoddess101:
But whatever.

Beat me to it! Everyone who saw Repo: The Genetic Opera isn't going to see this move.

So wait, what's the timing on this thing? Because Repo is from what? 2008? And Repossession Mambo, the novel upon which Repo Men is based was published on 2009. Now, it is not impossible for the author of Repossession Mambo to have at least heard of the premise of Repo: The Genetic Opera and build up his own novel from that, finish it, get it published, secure a movie deal and have the movie developed and produced all in the span of two or three years, but it is damn unlikely.

So, unless Repo is in turn based on an earlier property (I haven't seen the movie and I have no clue if it is, so count that as an honest question) I'm willing to call this parallel development.

It's not too convoluted, either. Health care corporation killing you and repossessing your organs if you default payment is kind of fitting for the times, and the likelihood of two people complaining about the state of health care and corporate greed remembering that one sketch from The Meaning of Life at the same time is kind of high.

Also, I absolutely hate it when people dance around spoilers for a movie I had already decided to avoid. It's so... enticing.

EDIT: Looked it up. Repo was a 2006 short before being remade into a feature. I guess it makes the timeline a bit more plausible, but I still find the Monty Python connection far more likely.

Simalacrum:
ugh, I shant be watching it then, I don't like gore for the sake of gore...

This. Gore to me is boring.

Noelveiga:

So wait, what's the timing on this thing? Because Repo is from what? 2008? And Repossession Mambo, the novel upon which Repo Men is based was published on 2009. Now, it is not impossible for the author of Repossession Mambo to have at least heard of the premise of Repo: The Genetic Opera and build up his own nove from that, finish it, get it published, secure a movie deal and have the movie developed and produced all in the span of two or three years, but it is damn unlikely.

So, unless Repo is in turn based on an earlier property (I haven't seen the movie and I have no clue if it is, so count that as an honest question) I'm willing to call this parallel development.

It's not too convoluted, either. Health care corporation killing you and repossessing your organs if you default payment is kind of fitting for the times, and the likelihood of two people complaining about the state of health care and corporate greed remembering that one sketch from The Meaning of Life at the same time is kind of high.

Also, I absolutely hate it when people dance around spoilers for a movie I had already decided to avoid. It's so... enticing.

Repo! The Genetic Opera is based off a stageplay from the 90s under the same name. Terrance Zdunich the writer/ Graverobber has been touring shows with the stageplay and movie since the early 90s. I haven't seen the Monty Python sketch, but since it's a Monty Python sketch I assume it's very silly. Repo! despite being a musical, takes its world seriously (the villain is an operatic magnificent bastard played by Paul Sorvino so he gets a bit silly). Repo! gives you a good look into the world outside the repo men and takes a family feud to some heights. (Also, Paris Hilton's face falls off which is hilarious)

Noelveiga:

Mr. Gency:

GameGoddess101:
But whatever.

So wait, what's the timing on this thing? Because Repo is from what? 2008? And Repossession Mambo, the novel upon which Repo Men is based was published on 2009. Now, it is not impossible for the author of Repossession Mambo to have at least heard of the premise of Repo: The Genetic Opera and build up his own novel from that, finish it, get it published, secure a movie deal and have the movie developed and produced all in the span of two or three years, but it is damn unlikely.

EDIT: Looked it up. Repo was a 2006 short before being remade into a feature. I guess it makes the timeline a bit more plausible, but I still find the Monty Python connection far more likely.

Before that Repo! the genetic opera was a stage play in the 90s so theres a significant bit of time there.

secretshadow90:

Okay

Repo! The Genetic Opera is based off a stageplay from the 90s under the same name. Terrance Zdunich the writer/ Graverobber has been touring shows with the stageplay and movie since the early 90s. I haven't seen the Monty Python sketch, but since it's a Monty Python sketch I assume it's very silly. Repo! despite being a musical, takes its world seriously (the villain is an operatic magnificent bastard played by Paul Sorvino so he gets a bit silly). Repo! gives you a good look into the world outside the repo men and takes a family feud to some heights. (Also, Paris Hilton's face falls off which is hilarious)

Ah, so it goes even further.

Okay.

As for Monty Python, check this out:

WARNING, it is damn creepy and gory, so be warned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aclS1pGHp8o

and tell me it's not at the origin of this whole thing.

For the record, Meaning of Life is from 83.

I'll probably see this. I still think REPO! The Genetic Opera is better. Love Jude Law. Love Forest Whitaker. Liev Schreiber...eh, okay I can take him.

Sex/

Surgery/

Hacking/

...The Fuck?

At first i was considering seeing this but now...eeeeehhh i think i might value my sanity a bit too much.

idk, i liked it as a musical because it was a musical. take that away and it's just not my cup of tea.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here