Escape to the Movies: Repo Men

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

wfpdk:
idk, i liked it as a musical because it was a musical. take that away and it's just not my cup of tea.

Totally. The idea of organ repossession in a science fiction movie isn't super original, but the *way* Repo! presented it was what made it brilliant. In Repo!, the Repo Men are considered bad people. That's why they wear masks. Yet we still sympathize with one. Also, he was forced into being a Repo man. Plus, yeah. It's a musical. Take that away, it's just another action flick. It's the presentation, not the underlying idea, that matters here.

I was disappointed that Bob didn't reference Repo! I generally consider him my favorite movie critic, but that review just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Before I saw this review... I wanted to see this movie.

Now I REALLY want to see this movie!

Wow, Bob knows how to recommend movies.

A lot of people are saying this is ripping off the Genetic Opera, which in all honesty I was expecting Movie Bob to mention. Though really it looks like the Opera with a better paint job and less singing, so a more marketable version I suppose.

RestamSalucard:
Stuff on Repo

BTW, you realise that spelling backwards is more difficult than it looks ;)

Eh, I don't know, I don't really go to a movie to be disgusted or freaked out.

I still find the premise to be ungodly stupid. I'd rather just die than have some jerk carve me open to reclaim some property.

Well sure, its probably an action packed, gorey sci fi thriller, which I always love.

But will it feature Buffy's Giles in a duet with himself and a recently executed prisoner whose vocal cords he's playing like a puppet? Hmmm? Because I refuse to accept a premise like this without that. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

I'll take one guess as to what older movie it steals an ending from:

Think about it. That's how all these dystopian society movies tend to end.

Nevertheless, I think you actually scared me off a bit seeing as how I'm not a fan of excessive gore. Now I'm probably gonna see something else... if I'm not too busy playing my copy of Heavy Rain on my newly garnered PS3, that is... ;)

I wonder how it compares to The Genetic Opera though: The original Repo.

This movie didn't actually rip off the genetic opera. They started at about the same time, this took longer because there was more post-production. Also, the musical was an overly-artsy, preachy POS. If anything, the opera should be thankful this movie exists, because some people will hear about for the first time because of whiners saying "Repo Men ripped it off! Whaaa!".

Hmm... One of your better reviews. Seiously, you keep yankin me back in whenever you bring up Equilibrium, the most underviewed movie of all time.

Jude Law is, in my opinion, one of the most varied and consistently good actors being used in movies today. He's been solid if not exceptional (in many cases the latter) in every movie I've seen him in, and played roles from psychopath killer (Road to Perdition) to suicidal rich egotist (Gattaca).

Still, it's kind of a shame you're not reviewing Repo Man instead of this movie.

GameGoddess101:
REPO MEN IS A BIG PHAIL TRAIN!!!
It's bodily ripped off from Repo: The Genetic Opera.
They practically used the same goddamn script.
So yeah.... anything that is seen as original in this movie is actually ripped off from Repo: The Genetic Opera.
But whatever.

I have to echo this too, Bob. Not a single mention in your review to this film's obvious source material? What the Hell... I'll admit that Repo Men takes it in a few other directions, but c'mon.

I have a question. I am a fan of Repo: The Genetic Rock Opera. Which is this movie, but with many musical numbers (I'm serious the premise is identical) Will this movie ruin my fond memories of Anthony Head singing while removing organs?

Any chance of doing an Equilibrium review Bob?

GameGoddess101:
So yeah.... anything that is seen as original in this movie is actually ripped off from Repo: The Genetic Opera.
But whatever.

Um...in the credits, it says it's based off that Opera...so yeah...not a ripoff because they're pretty up front about it.

Simalacrum:
ugh, I shant be watching it then, I don't like gore for the sake of gore...

That's why I hate Saw so much.
OT: that computer hacking scene sounds interesting but in the same way going to an 11 year olds piano recital sounds interesting, you go just to laugh. (That's right I'm evil watcha gonna do about it?)

If I were the script writer then I would have made it his gf who needed an organ repossessed. That way her character would be more than just a tacked on love interest and the reason for going against his former employers would be more than just blatent self interest.

Granted I haven't seen it yet (and may never cuz I'm not a fan of blood and gore) so it might work fine the way they wrote it but just hearing that plot did make me laugh and shake my head.

I'm going to see it.
Forest for the win!

ok I'm not saying you shouldnt go see this movie, but it does ripoff Repo! that being said it still looks good and I am going to see it if only for the sex/surgiry/hacking seen but you should give credit were credits due and after you go see RepoMen rent or at lest look into Repo! the Genetic Opera

ps ill make it easy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NBdxo0MeLo&feature=related
link biatch

You forgot to mention how that also sounds like "Logan's Run."

=)

Wait wait wait. He LIKED Equilibrium?!?

Was that invaders must die playing near the start?

Hooray for random music spotting!

zel359359:
ok I'm not saying you shouldnt go see this movie, but it does ripoff Repo! that being said it still looks good and I am going to see it if only for the sex/surgiry/hacking seen but you should give credit were credits due and after you go see RepoMen rent or at lest look into Repo! the Genetic Opera

ps ill make it easy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NBdxo0MeLo&feature=related
link biatch

Actually, beyond the argument about who came up with it (my own candidate and link are above), let's just face that Repo! is a pretty terrible movie. There's something to be said for B-list cult classics, but movies made on shoestring budgets specifically hoping their cheapness will qualify for that status rarely work. Remember Tank Girl? Yeah, exactly.

I'm losing patience with this originality thing. It is a myth, it doesn't exist other than as a compilation of execution and depth. People whining about Avatar because it had a common structure that people instantly traced to the most popular movie they could remember that also used it (and not to the other few dozen they didn't bother to mention) was annoying, but this Repo! thing is quickly catching up to it. Sure, it's the opposite, the very specific premise that ties to a single very obscure crappy movie that people like to brag about having seen, but it's still, still... Let's just say that I used to think Bob's attempts to predict what stupid argument his reviews would generate seemed stupid at first but I'm quickly changing my mind.

GameGoddess101:
But whatever.

Ughh...

two things

The only parralel is that a coorperation makes organs and sells them at insane prices then revokes them if you don't pony up

th films are taken in two completly diffrent directions from here(i have not see repomen but i am going to assume it's more of a bad ass action flick rather then a Drama/musical/bucket of shit.) there is nothing worth mentioning.

Harry potter and Xmen(movie bob pointed this out) Both dealed with the humans mistreating the Mutants/Wizards and qustioned the moral fiber with it. both deal with With mutants/wizards either choosing to cooperate with the humans or kill them. these aren't just side bits either, they are major parts of These franchises.

So clearly Harry potter copied X-men?

What i am trying to say is that when the premise is the same and everything else is diffrent. It's not really copying.

repo the genetic opera was a very bad movie. the only thing you could praise was the uniqueness . but in the end it's a movie that failed to do anything. I'm sitting here trying to remember anything from that movie and i can't remember a thing. thats a problem. the movie looked like it had 15 diffrent directers. It was glaring with plot holes and ultimatly never came into somthing even half way structured.

People liked Equilibrium? I thought that film was terrible. It wasn't even the funny kind of terrible that makes a movie entertaining to watch. It was the boring kind of terrible.

This plot not only seems like District 9 and Equilibrium's, but nearly EVERY sci-fi film in the last 20 years. I don't think I could deal with another future dystopia run by evil mega-corporations story.

That's why I like Ghost in the Shell; it is nice seeing a portrail of a future that isn't an outright dystopia (or what superficially appears utopian but is secretly flawed and dystopian). A future in which the good guys are loyal cops trying to protect society, not the rebels trying to "bust this thing wide open" (though the rebels do get their say).

GameGoddess101:
But whatever.

That's what I was thinking too, that it was basically just Repo: the genetic Opera without the Opera, I honestly was expecting Bob to acknowledge that.
But still I may give watching it a chance, though I'll have to wait a long time to see it in Australian cinemas.

EDIT: Admittedly it's not a bad thing to use plot elements from other movies and clearly they both are heading in different directions in terms of movie making, so I can't be that annoyed. After all I don't want to seem like one of those whiny types who cry and moan that something was 'ripped off' after all the plot seems to be heading in a different direction to Repo! so it's not a complete ripoff, more like a movie with a similar premise.

The_root_of_all_evil:

RestamSalucard:
I'm a bit surprised when Moviebob mentioned the "film that must not be named" in the end credits. By the end of the review, I was convinced he'd just never heard of said film. I mean there where so many hints about how this ripped off REPO! The Genetic Opera sprinkled in his summary, I almost expected him to turn 180 and start bashing the film.

Seriously though, don't let Paris Hilton's bit part fool you. If you can find a copy of REPO! hidden in a video store or find it playing at a grindhouse, I recommend you watch it instead. Somewhat because I like to support the underdog, somewhat because Repomen is based of a blatant ripoff written by Eric Garcia, somewhat because it has Paris Hilton having a humiliating moment when her face literally falls off, but mainly because IT HAS GILES SINGING ABOUT RIPPING PEOPLE APART!!!

BTW, you realise that spelling backwards is more difficult than it looks ;)

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

RestamSalucard:

Your username :)

I know this has been said a bunch already, but ill say it again anyways. That is literally the exact same premise as Repo: the Genetic opera, which i recommend you go see. I might see Repomen but i dont know if ill like it as much. not that i dont like scifi, its just that violence and gore is much more delicious when there's a song that goes with it.

The_root_of_all_evil:

RestamSalucard:

Again, what does that have to do with anything?

GameGoddess101:
But whatever.

i know!!!!!!!! and thats my favorite movie1 i was like wtf and trolled everyforum for it lol

So this isn't just repo without the musical? Because I heard they were gonna do that so I have gone along assuming this is it. I was shocked that you didn't even mention it either, or was that bit in the credits the reference to it looking like repo?

I suppose I will look into it if my friends want to see it, I know this won't be one I see by myself because no one was available. That is reserved for the best of movies like district 9 and inglorious basterds. Which I saw by myself partly to avoid being bothered while I enjoyed the awesome.

Is it just me, or does this movie seem exactly like Repo: The Genetic Opera except not nearly as bold or as interesting to look at?

RestamSalucard:

The_root_of_all_evil:

RestamSalucard:

Again, what does that have to do with anything?

Oh snap! :o

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or