Escape to the Movies: Repo Men

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

God damnit.
He didn't mention that it came from REPO! The Genetic Opera.

AvauntVanguard:
God damnit.
He didn't mention that it came from REPO! The Genetic Opera.

Thats ok, just about everyone else in this thread already has.

GameGoddess101:
REPO MEN IS A BIG PHAIL TRAIN!!!
It's bodily ripped off from Repo: The Genetic Opera.
They practically used the same goddamn script.
So yeah.... anything that is seen as original in this movie is actually ripped off from Repo: The Genetic Opera.
But whatever.

Thank you for saying this before I did, but yeah, Repo from '08 is the awesomest thing I've seen in a long while :D

I'm surprised you didn't make any mention that the movies Premise was based off of "Repo! The Genetic Rock Opera". I know you said you won't mention it but.. why not?

Okay, here's the thing:

The reason "Repo: The Genetic Opera" isn't mentioned is that I - honestly - completely forgot that it had ever existed until someone brought it up. I saw it (once, didn't care for it, obviously left next to no impression) but literally was not reminded of it once while watching this. In any case, unless I'm COMPLETELY mis-remembering TGO, it and Repo Men don't have much in common aside from one broad plot element and a (fairly generic) name for a profession.

Is this one of those movies that was a bigger deal in certain territories than others? Because it's basically a non-entity here in the States. I'm honestly amazed that THIS many people are concerned with the integrity/legacy of what at the time struck me as a Troma-esque musical spoof. Ah, well...

GameGoddess101:
So yeah.... anything that is seen as original in this movie is actually ripped off from Repo: The Genetic Opera.
But whatever.

I bet the music's not as good on top of it all.

*listens to "21st Century Cure" again*
lol

Equilibrium was god-awful. How anyone could put that steaming pile of manure above Moon is beyond me.

Repo Men was quite awesome. Loved the ending. Very

I just saw the movie and... Appeantly everyone else went to see Repo! instead because there was 6 people in the showing. lol Not does it matter though.

Well anywho... It was slighty, just slighty, better than I thought really. It had its moments but I was kind of bored with it. Some stuff wasn't necessary like the sex/surgery/computer hacking. I felt akward during that.

Your better off seeing "Repo!" like other people suggested before. But if you really want to see "Repo Men" your better off with "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" since it was the original.

Btw "Repo!" fans. If you think that "Repo Men" ripped off "Repo!" enough well...

Sounds familar doesn't it? lol

Equilibrium was horrible.

MOON was f**king fantastic! and this movie looks like something i might check out thnx bob!

GameGoddess101:
But whatever.

Thank you! At least someone else out there knows of the BEST (underground) Rock Opera with a huge following that which rivals Rocky Horror. Repo Men is a complete rip of the opera. & That's why I'm not supporting it. I'm not going to give Hollywood $$$ on a rehash. Much like AVATAR.
Now, MovieBob has mentioned before how a movie is much like another movie. And in this review, I was really hoping he would rip this up one side and down the other. I'm disappointed a little. I was hoping for a review like Avatar. :/ Well... Maybe next time.

I personally don't recommend this movie without seeing the original.

I didnt knew that movie "moon" existed, great film! Even tough solaris is better.

GameGoddess101:
But whatever.

I was wondering if someone would say it. Shame it doesn't have Grave Digger though don't you think? I personally believe that char would make ANY movie better . . . seriously, put him in The Blindside and it'd become MILES better. (or perhaps yards is more appropriate)

I deeply respect movieBob and i agree whit about 90percent of everithing he says (you could say we have about the same tastes) but, (and this has nothing to do whit the review of the movie hes absolutely right about everithing) the "but" is how in hell can you review this movie WITHOUT talking about Genetic Opera, you should at least mention it, sure there is the whole art "inspiring" other art, and all that crap that people who steal ideas say to defend themselves, but this was TOO obvious, they even called the guys the same, and dont say that originality is dead, there are hundreds of good sci-fi stories out there you can do in hollywood whitout having to blatangly steal your main concept from another movie. (excuse my english i live in Venezuela so is not my natal or primary usage tongue) anyone who watched Genetic Opera cant say whit a straight face that this is not a gross, obvious rip-off, and sure genetic opera wasnt all that great and all (tough it HAS a small fierce cult following) but at least in my opinion is miles better than this "lets-do-the-same-movie-but-darker-and-no-one-will-notice" rip-off

and yes this is my first post, i registered just for this

MovieBob:
Okay, here's the thing:

The reason "Repo: The Genetic Opera" isn't mentioned is that I - honestly - completely forgot that it had ever existed until someone brought it up. I saw it (once, didn't care for it, obviously left next to no impression) but literally was not reminded of it once while watching this. In any case, unless I'm COMPLETELY mis-remembering TGO, it and Repo Men don't have much in common aside from one broad plot element and a (fairly generic) name for a profession.

Is this one of those movies that was a bigger deal in certain territories than others? Because it's basically a non-entity here in the States. I'm honestly amazed that THIS many people are concerned with the integrity/legacy of what at the time struck me as a Troma-esque musical spoof. Ah, well...

Bob, let me put it straight for you. I'm the same way about REPO! as the rest crying and screaming about it. Remember how Pulp Fiction exploded into geekdom? REPO! did the same, but silently . . . it was more like a benign cancerous cist. Growing so fast no one knew what the fuck. It's (I think) a great film, and if not brilliant a HILARIOUS musical. But it's the kind of cult classic that will be talked about for YEARS to come if only in whispers.

It's like Nightmare Before Christmass but with the jingle from Starcraft that says "Nuclear Launch Detected" it might not be WIDELY spoken of, but the fan base is HUGE . . . especially on the internet where everyone is anonymous and no one cares what anyone else thinks.

Koeryn:
I bet the music's not as good on top of it all.

*listens to "21st Century Cure" again*
lol

Actually, the music is pretty damn good. Rock opera with a heavy industrial/goth metal theme. The premise is pretty cool and several of the scenes are highly memorable but I feel the film as a whole lacks cohesion, either from budget or time constraints. I came away feeling it could have been much more than the end product, but a fun watch nonetheless.

EDIT: NVM, I totally missed both the intent of your comment and sarcasm it implied and am a complete idiot. Never just glance at something and then knee-jerk respond, kids. I blame my tired eyes. The comment stands, though, as I feel it is an accurate one.

Also, I asked one of my friends who is a big fan of Repo! about the similarities and she told me that the writer/director Darren Smith originally approached Universal with the script but later tried to back out of the contract due to creative differences, there was a lawsuit over who owned the rights, Universal went ahead with their Repo Men project while Smith went on to make Repo! with Lionsgate. Basically Universal snatched the story out from under Smith. How much (if any) truth is there to this? Anyone know?

wfpdk:
idk, i liked it as a musical because it was a musical. take that away and it's just not my cup of tea.

Same here, Not too good on gore but the great music is what got me to watch it. (but still took me awhile to actually WATCH the "Thankless Job" Scene)

silversun101:
Also, I asked one of my friends who is a big fan of Repo! about the similarities and she told me that the writer/director Darren Smith originally approached Universal with the script but later tried to back out of the contract due to creative differences, there was a lawsuit over who owned the rights, Universal went ahead with their Repo Men project while Smith went on to make Repo! with Lionsgate. Basically Universal snatched the story out from under Smith. How much (if any) truth is there to this? Anyone know?

I was under the impression that the movie itself is not a ripoff, but that the book it was based on, The Repossession Mamba by Eric Garcia, was the blatant plagiarism.

I really enjoyed the movie. Jude Law pulled of the "Jason Statam bad-assery" really well and Forest Witiker brought a great atribute to the movie with his role. I felt that movie was well paced, keep me intersted, had great actions scences (especially towards the end), and had a great twist ending. I'm actually hoping for a sequel; its probably not going to happen, but still.

GameGoddess101:
But whatever.

Quite so, my sentiments exactly. Glad somebody isn't riding the fail train with the rest of these people that think it's original. Sorry, "repo men" but "Repo!" beat you to it some years ago.

Wait.... If MovieBob says he didn't remember REPO! TGO while watching Repo Men.... Then what the Hell is the movie that Repo Men borrowed their ending from he was talking about!?!

I like the musical version better, "Repo Man"

MaraJade03:
Wait.... If MovieBob says he didn't remember REPO! TGO while watching Repo Men.... Then what the Hell is the movie that Repo Men borrowed their ending from he was talking about!?!

Someone probably mentioned it too late into the production for Bob to edit his video beyond the message during the credits.

MaraJade03:

If I told you, I'd be potentially spoiling one of TWO movies, one of which is a bona-fide classic :)

I still cant find out weather this is a rip off or Genetic Opera or a Remake, Anything guys?

She took the WHOLE thing!!! man my friends and I laughed so hard at that.
Movie was good but i hated it. If you have seen it... yeah...

Really Equilibrium ranks among the best? I mean it looks cool and all and I can't blame you for enjoying it but I found the whole the matrix meats farenhight 451 thing to come off a little thin. Everytime the action stopped I started to loose interest. Their has to be other films that top it. I don't know if Children of Men counts enough as sci-fi but I feel that would deserve a spot above it.

i never saw this cult favorite Repo! the genetic opera everyone keeps talking about. that being said, if the creators "borrowed" from anyone (beyond the organ repossession concept) i'd have to say their biggest donor is 1985's Brazil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_%28film%29)

Sounds like a thing for Terry Pratchett's elves.

Come on Bob. Not even a cursory mention of Repo: The Genetic Opera?
Wheres your geek cred man?
Bleh, you should be forced to sit down and watch then review the real Repoman.

I'm beginning to see a trend here. If a geek has much more interest in the sound of his own voice than an attention span, he's more likely to both have enjoyed the jumbled mess that is Repo! AND to somehow ignore dozens of posts making his same point in the exact same words just above his post. That would explain the amount of people commenting about Repo! without even skimming the thread or noticing Bob's post above.

I really liked the premise for Repo! TGO, but the actual movie didn't do much for me. Too much teen angst and hammy acting, and the music wasn't all that great either. The only part I really enjoyed was seeing Paris Hilton's face fall off. If they added more humor like that it would have been a much better movie, almost as good as Rocky Horror.

Anyways, Repo Men sounds like it will be more to my liking than Repo!; Same interesting premise, different style. I don't get high blood pressure over remakes and ripoffs like some people do. In fact, I enjoy seeing different film makers versions of the same story/concept. And if nothing else, it creates publicity for the original films; I'm sure some people hadn't even heard of Repo! until it was mentioned here in this thread.

Equilibrium one of the 3 best sci-fi movies of the decade!? are you nuts? Equilibrium was one of the stupidest movies i've seen in the last few years...

I'm not really gonna jump on the Repo!-remake train, I'm just really suprised MovieBob didn't mention it in this review. I was hoping to see what he might think of "Mr. Giles" as the repoman. :D

I want to see this movie, just to find out what the hell the sex/surgery/hacking scene is all about. 0_o

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here