Escape to the Movies: Repo Men

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

silversun101:
After nearly an hour of uncomfortable flip-flopping it had finally settled into the comfortable nook of "brainless action flick" and the unwarranted left turn at the very end left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

WARNING: SPOILER DISCUSSED BELOW:

@ movie bob

love your work by the way, cheers.

Any international movie with dutch actors is worth a look (at least if you are dutch).

I won't say this movie ripped off "Repo the Genetic Opera" that would be ignorant. This movie was based on a novel called "Reposession Mambo". The author of that novel ripped off "Repo the Genetic Opera", which was based on a live theater show in the late 90's.

The premise sounds like a mainstream rip-off of 'Repo: The Genetic Opera'. It may be based on other sources, but based on this review I think it is [probably?] got it's eye on that film's success. Having said that i will probably go see this :P

Echo136:
The premise seems almost identical to Repo: The Genetic Opera, which really rubs me the wrong way because Im a huge fan of the movie, but I kinda wanna see this movie anyways.

I'm just wondering if there wasn't some small legal battle because of this. I mean, it's a fucking duplicate, for pete's sake. I haven't heard anything about one. Somebody? Help me out here?

Raining blooooooooooooood! From a lacerated sky!!!
sorry...

With the greatest respect... (well...) Bob, you're an idiot.

How can you possibly rate Equilibrium over 21st century sci-fi gold like Children of Men and Sunshine? I fully agree with D9 and Moon but feel positively insulted you would try to compare any of these fantastic titles with the poorly written, pathetically acted and shockingly directed junk that Equilibrium was. It was a poor mans 1984, an idiots Fahrenheit 451 and quite frankly a cash-in job from the studio giving money to a fool to make a film built solely round a fake martial arts the film maker developed in his back garden! I was always a bit unsure about your judgement when reporting past film releases, this has confirmed me suspicions.

Apparently no one really was that interested in this film. USA domestic opening box office was generally weak at only $6 million, making it a distant 4th place. It is going to have a time making up that $32 million budget at this rate.

Apparently no one really was that interested in this film. USA domestic opening box office was generally weak at only $6 million, making it a distant 4th place. It is going to have a time making up that $32 million budget at this rate.

(Pardon if this duplicates.)

GameGoddess101:
REPO MEN IS A BIG PHAIL TRAIN!!!
It's bodily ripped off from Repo: The Genetic Opera.
They practically used the same goddamn script.
So yeah.... anything that is seen as original in this movie is actually ripped off from Repo: The Genetic Opera.
But whatever.

I was thinking the same thing as soon as I heard about it. However I will say that while kind of cool "Repo: The Genetic Opera" seemed to suffer from being a translation of a stage play to a movie, where this movie was constructed from the big screen to begin with. That said, the plot going by this review also seems slightly more simplistic than Repo (as odd as that will sound).

Not sure if I'm going to see "Repo Men" or wait for tape/PPV. As a horror/gore fan it sounds like a movie that will actually benefit from a director's cut.

That said one thing that does sort of bother me is that I get a little tired of all of the anti-corperate, anti-capitolism messages. Especially when it seems like they don't think things through.

Interestingly, I'm waiting for a science fiction movie where the corperations/capitolists are actually the good guys, making points about freedom and such. I've read a number of science fiction novels involving space traders, and such over the years. Not to mention looking at a few RPG concepts like "The Hoffman Institute" which is basically a large university/corperate conglomerate that has it's shady side, but is ultimatly the closest thing to a group of good guys the world has in an eviroment full of covert supernatural and alien terrors. Not to mention one episode of the old "Wild C.A.T.S." cartoon show where they really brought the fact that they worked for a godlike multinational corperation to the front, and while cheezy actually used all kinds of ridiculous business gimmicks to mess with the bad guys (blocking roads, etc...).

The ironic thing about the central premise of "Repo Men" (having not seen the movie) is that it strikes me as being pointless. See Creditors want you to keep paying them something. Realistically these "robot parts" would probably be mass produced fairly cheaply, with inflated price tags. The corperation would benefit more from having a dude thrown in jail as punishment and then released to keep paying, because really every dead person is someone who isn't paying. You basically set it up so everyone pays as much as they can bear, constantly. Perhaps the movie covers this, but it's basically why VISA or Mastercard don't send assasins to kill people who can't pay their debts. Jail time + attached wages benefits them more in the long run even if it's less than was agreed on.

pumasuit:

Echo136:
The premise seems almost identical to Repo: The Genetic Opera, which really rubs me the wrong way because Im a huge fan of the movie, but I kinda wanna see this movie anyways.

I'm just wondering if there wasn't some small legal battle because of this. I mean, it's a fucking duplicate, for pete's sake. I haven't heard anything about one. Somebody? Help me out here?

Written seperatly because this is a long spoiler: he's the details on Repo: The Genetic Opera.

*Jumping on the Repo! bandwagon*

Repomen's villains just can't compare to Repo!'s crazy-ass corporate family. -1
Repo!'s repoman was more believable and organic, and I actually felt for him; Repomen's characters are too cardboard cutout. -1
Repomen doesn't have awesome musical numbers with its gory scenes. -1000000000000000

In conclusion: Repo! wins.

my friend told me this movie was a rip-off of Repo The Genetic Opera

secretshadow90:
I must respectfully disagree with MovieBob for once. He just tole me the plot and ending are borrowed from other films And so is the premise which he appears to be unaware of. The premise was taken from Repo! The Genetic Opera. It's a lower budget movie that got short-shifted on an advertising budget. It's based off a stageplay from the 90s and was in production the same time as Repo Men, back when it was Reposession Mamba (the silliest name ever). That too also has a good helping of blood as Darren Bousman, the director os Saw II and III, is the director. It also stars Anthony Stewart Head as the awesome Nathan Wallace/Repo Man. And yes, the premise is exactly the same, with the addition of a drug in a little glass vial. Please check this movie out, it's worth it.

This....times a thousand

MovieBob was more or less right. Just got back from this movie. Not bad, but HARD TO WATCH. Wierd. I can watch violent movies where the characters shoot each other and be desensitized all the way from here to egypt, but make it a movie where the characters cut themselves/ea other, and it grosses me out to the point of being physically ill.

Well, after seeing repomen I have to say it was a pretty good movie, realistic characters, compelling story (apart from the WTF bit at the end) and impressive visuals. I then went to see the movie this "ripped off". Yes, it's very similar; but why does everyone care?

The creaters of repomen took a geeky, low budget film and made it more mainstream and, frankly, better. Why is this such a problem for everyone?

At least "Repo! The Genetic Opera" had a less sterilized version of the future, some really good music tracks, no shoe-horned moral message other than "these corporate guys are psychotic", and Paris Hilton's face fell off.

I'll go with the little genre flick that doesn't fall into American Action trope 735, complete with shocking twist "the bad guy becomes the good guy".

To quote myself:

TraumaHound's Twitter Feed:
"Repo Men" was awesome! Action, paranoia, morality-dillemas, utopian/dystopian future, this film had it all and more. 5 of 5 stars!

As MovieBob pointed out, and I, too omitted in my post above, it is a bit gory. Not throughout the entire movie, and I didn't feel it was gratuitous by any means as the gore is contained within the organ-removal processes but it was pretty grisly.

I thought the look of the world was very well done, tying in some Blade Runner elements (minus the flying cars) as well as I, Robot. The corporate city is shiny (reminded me of pics I've seen of Tokyo), the suburbs look similar to our own time (though, I'm sure, with some technological updates), with what equates to "the badlands" existing outside the city-limits. I think it was a believable look, technology didn't seem too far fetched that we couldn't have this be our future-outcome.

The acting was excellent and I, too, found myself wanting to see more of Whitaker & Law buddy-up. You get that they're friends (I loved the flashback of how they became friends) and co-workers; and Whitaker well-plays the friend who has it all but still longs for something his best-bud has (or at least that was what I was reading into it.)

I would've liked to have seen Liev Schreiber in a larger part (though he's excellent in the scenes he's in.) I thought he was amazing in Defiance and wanted to see more of him. He's an excellent corporate douchebag, though. I think his size and gravelly tone work well to make him menacing but in a seemingly unthreatening way, you trust his smile as he sells you on a heart you know you can't afford ("You owe it to your family, you owe it to yourself.") but if you listen to his tone and really look at his sinister smile you can see you're really selling him your soul *cue cash registers dinging as the customer signs on the dotted line*.

I saw this in the early afternoon so the theater was relatively empty; no big-crowd-reaction to some of the more grisly bits but it was definitely worth seeing on the big screen. I'm going to pick up the novel this is based on "The Repossession Mambo" to further explore this world.

Oh, and if you're in the market for a new heart, liver, kidneys, or what have you, make sure you stop by The Union's site: http://www.theunioncares.com I've got a set of Ocurity Eyes on order, just waiting for my credit app to clear before heading in for my upgrade.

I guess its always funny to hear people try to pronounce names in a different language. This time, Carice van Houten (more like "car iece vaun hauten", not hooten by the way) and Paul Verhoeven (sounds like: verhooven).

That review made me watch Equilibrium and that was some well spent time. Thanks, MovieBob!

Repo Men was great,I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!!! it had a cool visual style, great characters, good pace and the songs blew me away, "ZYDRATE COME IN A LITTLE GLASS VIAL!".... oh wait.. WRONG MOVIE!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0963194/

GameGoddess101:

Yeah that's what I was thinking, the premise seems the same.

The local paper gave the movie 0 out of 4 stars. I have never once seen that. Usually really bad movies get 1/2 stars, but 0? It's no surprise it had such a shitty opening weekend and I'm certainly not going to see it even though I'm a Forest Whitaker fan.

Jesus, were you asleep for the last scene? Ruined the whole fucking movie for me, and I was loving, predictable but great, it up 'til that point, even if the "ending" seemed cheesy.

Totally agree with you on the sex/surgery/hacking scene though.

I liked it up until the ending, it killed it for me.

GameGoddess101:
So yeah.... anything that is seen as original in this movie is actually ripped off from Repo: The Genetic Opera.
But whatever.

From my understanding, Repo Men is based on a novel which came out a year after Repo the Genetic Opera, so they're worse: it's a copy of a copy of an original.
I'm surprised he didn't mention Repo the Genetic Opera in his review. I'm sure he's seen it or at least I sure HOPE he's seen it, hint hint nudge nudge. Cuz it's teh awesome.

MovieBob:
Repo Men

This week MovieBob takes a stab at Repo Men.

For more from MovieBob, check out Intermission.

Be sure to join Escape to the Movies Facebook Fan Page here.

Watch Video

Have you thought about reviewing heavy rain? I'm interested to see what a film critic would think of it.

I'm glad to see people actually commenting on how Repo Men has the same exact premise as Repo!. I still don't get how not many people have picked up on that. Also, did the writers get permission from the guys who made Repo!? I have a hard time believing they did. I don't think that they would let someone else take that concept and turn it into a shitty action movie.

Nigh Invulnerable:
"[Film X] is just ripping off [film Y]! Oh no!"

Every good film is ripping off something that has come before in some manner, bad films do it unapologetically. Yeah, Avatar was just Dances With Wolves mixed with Pocahontas and all that. Read up on some Joseph Campbell and you'll find that everything shares tons of commonalities, but you know what? It doesn't matter. Just let the different angle on the story be the part that entertains instead of nitpicking about where the idea came from, because I guarantee you Repo: the Genetic Opera wasn't the first either.

you bring a surprisingly valid point to mind..
its like how you could take 1000 pictures of the same exact thing, but yet all the pictures are quite different

williebaz:

MovieBob:
Repo Men

This week MovieBob takes a stab at Repo Men.

For more from MovieBob, check out Intermission.

Be sure to join Escape to the Movies Facebook Fan Page here.

Watch Video

Have you thought about reviewing heavy rain? I'm interested to see what a film critic would think of it.

that is an excellent idea!

I thought The Genetic Opera was pretty awful. Just throwing that out there.

GameGoddess101:
But whatever.

Amen.

Man, your top-three list made me grin like a child. I thought I was the only one who loved those. And you mentioned Old Boy and Zwartboek, which makes this officially the most awesome video on the internet.

Alias42:
Good review, but I've never heard Carice van Houten's name being pronounced any worse.

I know dutch is hard, it took me 7 years to learn it too.

You pronounce the name: Ka (as in Karate) Ree (as in Reese) S (as in snake), van (the a as in water), Hou (like How) ten (as in... well, ten).

I'm sorry if I seem like a grammar Nazi, but if you are willing to learn how to pronounce Antonioni or Godard you must be willing to learn some other names too.

Haha, it freaked me out as well.
Foreigners & Dutch don't ever mix well

I wanna see Repo Men

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook