Escape to the Movies: Repo Men

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

GameGoddess101:
REPO MEN IS A BIG PHAIL TRAIN!!!
It's bodily ripped off from Repo: The Genetic Opera.
They practically used the same goddamn script.
So yeah.... anything that is seen as original in this movie is actually ripped off from Repo: The Genetic Opera.
But whatever.

E X ACTLY

When i first saw the trailers for this, i thought to myself "huh, rip-off". When a few of my buddies saw the movie and reported to me, i thought "Huh, possible plagiarism?". When i saw the movie for myself, it thought "huh, why has no one sued these assholes for the massive obvious hijacking of intellectual property?"

Its like if someone made a game named "Hailo" with a protagonist named the "Mister Cheef" and an enemy called the "Covernant", and tried to sell it a an original game. That would never sell, so why did this?

There is also the TV movie "Race Against Time" from 2000, that also has a very similar premise, as a matter of fact it was the film I first thought of when The Genetic Opera Trailers came out. When it comes right down to it however, other than sharing the premise of organ harvesting they share nothing in common. Repo men, from what I have heard about it seems like a more blatant ripoff, but who knows. I once thought of a cool premise where the entire history of our planet is actually the most popular reality show in the Galaxy (like the Truman Show, but on a more epic scale). Then I found out Frank Herbert already thought of it and wrote the novel "The Heaven Makers" 42 years ago, not to mention a similar short story written by larry niven in his Draco Tavern setting ("War Movie" I think).

I am Jack's profile:

GameGoddess101:
So yeah.... anything that is seen as original in this movie is actually ripped off from Repo: The Genetic Opera.
But whatever.

repo the genetic opera was a very bad movie. the only thing you could praise was the uniqueness . but in the end it's a movie that failed to do anything. I'm sitting here trying to remember anything from that movie and i can't remember a thing. thats a problem. the movie looked like it had 15 diffrent directers. It was glaring with plot holes and ultimatly never came into somthing even half way structured.

Um, yeah. Fuck you. Repo! was a very good movie. Yes, it was unique, but it was also directed towards a specific audience - the same audience that likes musicals, gore, dark gritty atmosphere, and gothic style. I'm not sure why it was so unmemorable for you, but I remember it scene for scene. It was a very good movie; it had its violence, suspense, psychological elements, and emotional moments. And excuse me, 15 different directors? Plot holes? Not even half-way structured? What movie were you watching? I will counter each of these accusations with a statement:

1. 15 different directors? Bousman had a very consistent atmosphere throughout the movie. It was always very dark, almost depressing, and very morbid. It also delved into the human psyche, something I believe the Saw movies did. All of the movie was very, well, consistent. Bousman made sure that all of the actors stayed in character. He made sure that the characters had plausible relationships, be they good OR bad. The actors all made the characters very real and believable. I actually cried at certain parts of the movie.

2. Plot holes? Excuse me, but I could not find one moment where everything was not explained in very explicit detail. The back-story of each character was explained either through comic book style(which was very interesting) or through exposition in song. Please explain to me a plot hole and I will find at least one thing to fill it.

3. Not even half-way structured? It was most certainly 100% structured. It had a consistent atmosphere, engaging story, interesting characters, and was very well-executed. The gore was much in quantity, but sparse in presentation. It was only present when it needed to be which made sure that there wasn't too much. The characters were all very relatable in one way or another and had very emotional back-stories which were all weaved together in a very easy-to-understand fashion.

So, please, challenge me. I'm very interested to see how you'll screw yourself over even more.

Off-topic: Please, learn to spell.

old boy rockd so hard

I liked all but the ending, I can deal with a twist but that was just wrong

I just saw this and thought it was pretty good. Although I did see the film that this movie borrowed its ending from and saw it coming a mile away within the first 20 minutes so that was kinda disappointing.

Saw this a few days ago and I actually loved it.

I also loved the ending...

You have no idea how happy I got when you made that Oldboy reference
that was one of the most mind-raping movies I've ever seen

Movie Bob: if by chance you read this, please do a review of Crank and/or Crank 2
I would really like to know what you thought of it

Just after watching a film this weekend called Repo: a genetic opera // Had a similar feel to this (ie: the set up was the exact same!) but the plot was different // Epic musical is the best way to describe it

Will go watch Repo Men later but first need to buy Repo a genetic opera's soundtrack.

-M

GameGoddess101:
But whatever.

Okay, when I first heard the intent for this movie to be made, THIS was my exact first thought. I'm amazed MovieBob didn't even mention this in his review. REPO:The Genetic Opera was immensely entertaining for me. I loved practically every nuance of the work. This one... eh, not so much.

eraser7278:
i never saw this cult favorite Repo! the genetic opera everyone keeps talking about. that being said, if the creators "borrowed" from anyone (beyond the organ repossession concept) i'd have to say their biggest donor is 1985's Brazil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_%28film%29)

Holy shit. Only one person in the entire thread mentioned that reference.
That makes me sad.

That being said i've only watched Brazil less than a month ago, so yeah. Y can act all outraged and i'm entitled to it.

I watched this movie today and I have to say this movie had THE MOST depressing ending I have ever seen. A great movie, but it ruined my good mood for the day...

Russian_Assassin:
I watched this movie today and I have to say this movie had THE MOST depressing ending I have ever seen. A great movie, but it ruined my good mood for the day...

I just saw this movie and I have to agree it's got one depressing ending. Maybe not the worst ending though, I've seen worse.

I want to say outright that this movie sucked. But I can't. There were a ton of little touches that were good from the little girl's "Yay!" upon completing a surgery to the hammer close-up letting us know specifically this was a reference to oldboy, even down to the references to Brazil and Blade Runner, which in light of the hammer I have to believe were intentional. That said, in my humble opinion is it a good movie? No. It's not all bad but there's more bad than good.

Sorry to raise this thread from the dead, but I just saw the movie, and I've read the comparison to Repo: The Genetic Opera. I haven't seen R:TGO, but I am aware that the premises are the same (but hey, there's nothing wrong with that).

I do have to take some serious issue with the idea that the book ripped off the other movie, though. Half of the "coincidences" listed in the spookydan article are things like "they both mention hookers at some point." I'm sorry, but that's just not good enough. If every movie that mentioned a number of things that happen to be mentioned in another movie were considered to be a ripoff, you would legitimately be able to say there are no more original movies in the world.

Of course there's going to be an anti-rejection drug; you have a piece of metal in your body. Of course it's going to have bad side-effects; all anti-rejection drugs have side-effects. This is not an example of theft, it's an example of research.

As for the ending, it actually is foreshadowed if you've seen a certain Penelope Cruz movie before. Same idea; a certain effect happens once in the entire movie, and it's relevant. The one in Repo Men just doesn't go pear shaped like the other one does.

Overall, I rather liked the movie. I think I'd see it again.

You loved Equalibrium. Now i officialy love you.
Repo man premise has been seen in almost a hundred movies now, and its not the best pullover of it, but yeah like you said the reaction was all worth it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here