Rebecca Mayes Muses: The Mirror

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I lol'd when the lyrics went 'your beautiful' and a picture of the predalien from AVP popped up.

Very good!
You are beautiful!

I love this video; it's amazing. It makes me feel good. ^_^

I find it odd that you mentioned Space wizards 1&2, since they have customizable characters.
I managed to make my Shepard look like a less smiley, less handsome version of me.
Also, they made the default male Shepard horribly ugly, so there's that.

Superb. Excellent song. Lyrics, music, production - all great.

Nice video too - plenty of footage from the games in the video.

Great work once again.

Thank you, Rebecca. This was awesome. I loved the video, and how images from games were interspersed with real actual people.

dududf:
Aye that was a nice song.

Although, I concede that if everyone looked normal, it'd be a kind of boring game, or at least affect the over all feel of it.

How can a greater variety be boring? The whole point is that you get one beautiful/desirable shape, and every character must look like this. Regardless of hair color and clothing, having only one body shape (or a select few) is already boring. Variety would then make this aspect of gaming more interesting.

silver wolf009:
I lol'd when the lyrics went 'your beautiful' and a picture of the predalien from AVP popped up.

This made me smile too, but consider this: The only ugly things are the bad guys. Fat, nasty, flawed. While I agree that Darkspawn are icky, I know some very nice people who look a little like ogres.

Souplex:
I find it odd that you mentioned Space wizards 1&2, since they have customizable characters.
I managed to make my Shepard look like a less smiley, less handsome version of me.

Even the tools you can use to customize your character aren't enough. In the Sims, when you make your character overweight, women get big hips and men get big bellies. What about hippy men and top-heavy women? I and my husband both have funny lip shapes that aren't supported, and my niece's extremely outward-tilted eyes were impossible to make.

Beautiful and poignant. These just keep getting better and better.

Cheers!

skyfire_freckles:

dududf:

Although, I concede that if everyone looked normal, it'd be a kind of boring game, or at least affect the over all feel of it.

How can a greater variety be boring? The whole point is that you get one beautiful/desirable shape, and every character must look like this. Regardless of hair color and clothing, having only one body shape (or a select few) is already boring. Variety would then make this aspect of gaming more interesting.

Because a every teenager would wear a hoody, and would look normal, not out of the ordinary, not something to catch my eye.

It'd just be same ol' same ol'.

Video games should not strive to be as real life as possible, or else it'd suffer from the boringness of real life.

Would you like everyone in the age of 13-19 look like this?

No I'd rather something different, perhaps unusual.

I would want to play something that looked DIFFERENT from normal, it'd add some visual appeal to the game.

That was awesome, maybe Rebecca should do more songs about gaming culture as well as games.

A poignant (and incredibly catchy) message.

I really liked this one. Lovely lyrics.

Thank you for brightening my day ^^

Beautiful song. It reminds me of the feelings that your Sims video elicited.

PS: Kudos to the male harem dance troupe!

Well said. and nice tune ....

That was a fucking wonderful song. I think Rebecca Mayes just made my list of female musicians who I'm secretly in love with (right after Liz Enthusiasm).

Can we give her an award for this? Or maybe use this video in a Clockwork Orange-esque plot involving video game development firms, because this point really needs to be more enforced. Yes, I understand the budget constraints and many other complexities involved in making games, but I am so beyond tired of having to play as 'men with boobs' or characters more suited to a job in a strip joint than a contributor to a quest to save the world.

You Rebecca are a beautiful person. In personality and outlook. Great song.

I'll tell you what's beautiful: Rebecca Mayes!
Seriously though, a fine composition. I agree with what has been said plenty before, but do think it should be recognized that Hollywood perpetrates the "perfect looking body everywhere" at least as much as gaming. It's a part of the escapist (wink wink) nature of media. Still, it'd be nice for the message that you don't have to look perfect to be interesting, fun, and entertaining to get out there a little more.

I wish her songs were available to download from somewhere.

If Beth Orton and Dido made video game review songs I have to imagine they'd sound something like Rebecca Mayes.

Holy crap. One song that's not about a specific game and it turns out to be a statement about physical character portrayal in games. That was amazing.

I think this is my favourite so far, completely took me off guard. Bloody brilliant. Cheers very much from a fellow west country inhabitant.

I think this is one of the best ones yet. Keep up the good work.

Catchy and definitely truthful in it's message. The video was in some ways a little cliche though given the subject matter.. even if I wouldn't have had any better ideas myself. :)

George Palmer:
5 stars! :)

6 stars. I win.

How do you decide if you are good enough? Is it the judgment of your neighbors and the comments of your friends? Is it conforming to society, becoming a plastic copy of everyone else in the world?
The true measure of you is to look in the mirror. You have to like yourself; because that is the one person you are always with. Sometimes even when the whole wide world is just putting you down, you cant back down. You have to say to yourself that I am enough, and that is enough for me.

+ 1 Million awesome points and an internet to Rebecca :)
Just... true. I have little to say, but I can agree. Breaking the mold doesn't make you ugly.

s0p0g:
that was just visc.... SLEDGEHAMMER!

Yeah! ENN is AWESOME!

But on topic, so is this. I really liked the song, and the message behind it. You've got talent, Rebecca Mayes. You truly do.

Great song, and a nice message too. Though it's odd that such a message is coming from someone who is very physically attractive.

It's a nice surprise :)

dududf:

skyfire_freckles:

dududf:

Because a every teenager would wear a hoody, and would look normal, not out of the ordinary, not something to catch my eye.

It'd just be same ol' same ol'.

Video games should not strive to be as real life as possible, or else it'd suffer from the boringness of real life.

Would you like everyone in the age of 13-19 look like this?

No I'd rather something different, perhaps unusual.

I would want to play something that looked DIFFERENT from normal, it'd add some visual appeal to the game.

Is this what you see when you look at real people? Just a blank, boring, iconic, sterilized version of normal? By the Gods, real life isn't boring. It may have boring stretches, but real people are so wildly different from each other, in looks and mannerisms. Nowhere but in video games (well, movies, too) do you see such sameness. Five of that guy make a group of teens? The teens I see are tall, short, thin, fat, all with different smiles and eyes.

Basically, the only way I can understand what you're saying to me is to interpret it this way: "I don't want games to look real because I see the same shit every day in my life, and I want to see things I don't always see."

If that's true, then you need to get out and life a little, pay attention more. People aren't always nice, they can be dangerous, but they are interesting!

Very good video and great song. You have a great voice.

The usual excellent piece. Really enjoyed this one for the message, but also on its own merits.

That was worth the wait, loved it. :)

Now to sit and twiddle my thumbs whilst you make the next one!

Lemontastic as always!
And a really good message to.

Great song with a great message. One of my faves so far.

My favourite of your songs yet, I like how you are giving yourself a wider leash to work on than just a single game. So much more creative and more relevant to every day life, not just games. Brilliant work!

A bit preachy that, though. On the one hand sure, there are stereotypes of sexual appeal out there and they are reinforced (but not originated) in media, but it's also true that games are a bit less guilty than others of this. Not only are you very often allowed to actually customize your characters, but many times being unable to be... well, fat, is a matter of a lack of technology rather than choice. Kudos to Saints Row for actually going ahead and coming up with a good fat person model, but I understand why you wouldn't invest resources on that more often than not.

So, hey, yeah, there are plenty of big biceps and skinny girls out there, but there are also dwarves and gnomes and monsters and games in which you get old and saggy and fat if you let yourself go. And that's without even going into whether or not the stereotypes make actual sense. Fit people as a model for beauty is not an unhealthy proposition, and I have my doubts about whether making every single human being feel beautiful is actually wise (and, believe me, I'm firmly in the unattractive group, certainly far more into it than Ms. Mayes here).

My point being, this is a difficult topic and I'm not sure I'm willing to look at it from the perspective portrayed here. Pretty decent song, though. Probably the best so far.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here