The Escapist Presents: Starcraft 2 101: Zerg

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Starcraft 2 101: Zerg

Team Escapist submits to the Overmind to swarm with the Zerg race from the Starcraft 2 beta.

Watch Video

SC2 really can't be released fast enough. I'm currently investing time in playing the first Starcraft so I can, well, not suck.

ZERG RUSH

KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE

In all seriousness, I had a lot of fun making this. The Swarm has quickly become my favorite race in the beta :)

wowww.....it seems zerg are OP...but thats just cuz funk did a great job showind their strengths. im pretty pumped for this game to come out
also, when will we see the protoss 101 video?

I'm looking forward to trying out the Protoss most of all, but the Zerg seem like fun as well. I like the fact that their base defense is mobile.

That was awesome! Zerg were my least favourite race in SC1, but that might change this time around. I especially love the Broodlord - it's like a Zerg Carrier, only cooler...

I may go buy Starcraft 2 now. *Leaves to find beta*

josh797:
wowww.....it seems zerg are OP...but thats just cuz funk did a great job showind their strengths. im pretty pumped for this game to come out
also, when will we see the protoss 101 video?

It should be same time next week, I capture VO and get footage from Greg Tito today to start cutting.

A rolling green swam of extremely adorable death!

They look like a lot of fun. How much micro is there with the Queen's spawn larva ability? Are you switching back to it ever 10 seconds to pump out more larva or is it closer to 30 seconds?

Amnestic:
A rolling green swam of extremely adorable death!

They look like a lot of fun. How much micro is there with the Queen's spawn larva ability? Are you switching back to it ever 10 seconds to pump out more larva or is it closer to 30 seconds?

It takes about ~40 seconds for the larvae to pop out, and you can't inject a hatchery that's already spawning some. If you have multiple hatcheries in one base, I tend to find myself doing it every ~25 seconds to alternate, since that's how long it takes to regenerate the 25 energy that the ability costs.

John Funk:
ZERG RUSH

In all seriousness, I had a lot of fun making this. The Swarm has quickly become my favorite race in the beta :)

Hehe, and talk about a rush! I was watching it near the end and green swarm of death looks like it will be the bane of alot of peoples existence!

I always loved them for the ability to just overrun and outnumber

"Like piranhas shredding a cat" =D Looks like the Zerg are **back**!!!

The more I watch these preview videos, the more I get excited about StarCraft 2. Can't wait!

Like piranhas shredding a cow...
You know how long that takes?!
Those lazy gits take forever to chomp down a cow.
Red one's, sure, they're faster, but their not going to devour a cow in less than a few hours still...

A better comparsion would be "Like a fat kid goes through cake."

Kickass video.

After watching many SC2 videos of people playing I cannot stress that the first ability the queen should use when spawned is one and only one creep tumor. The creep tumor is a self producing unit allowing an endless chain unless a detector unit(observer, raven, overseer) ends the chain by destroying a creep tumor.

In terms of running away and going across the field as fast as possible nothing is more important than getting that first creep tumor and running the tumor across your expansion and towards the enemy base. It is amazing how quickly maps are covered in creep preventing other players from expanding.

EDIT: If you want to learn about damage types and what units are what type or types check out this website, it is really informative about how much damage and cost each unit can do.

http://www.sc2armory.com

Oh man... I really want to get an invite in to the beta now...Feh why do all my friends have other friends who are also interested in this damn game!?

Ooh, these new abilities will lead to some awesome custom scenarios!

Also, (you know it's coming)

ZERG RUSH! KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE ^_^

Gawwww, those are the cutest swarms of death i've ever seen.

anyway, keep up the good works guys!

ZERG RUSH! KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE!

John Funk:
ZERG RUSH

Zerg is by far my favorite race too! I just LOVE the flexibility, you can pump out counters on a dime.

And holy CRAP that was a lot of corruptors! I'm amazed you got that much gas O_O

In most games I opt to be a more defensive player. But in Starcraft I find myself playing as the Zerg, despite them being mostly built on offensive power, though they do seem really flexible in Starcraft 2. I'm not sure why they became my favorite race in the first place.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the Nydus network though. I've only seen it used a few times, but it looks like one the best methods of rapid transportation in the game.

Internet Kraken:
In most games I opt to be a more defensive player. But in Starcraft I find myself playing as the Zerg, despite them being mostly built on offensive power, though they do seem really flexible in Starcraft 2. I'm not sure why they became my favorite race in the first place.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the Nydus network though. I've only seen it used a few times, but it looks like one the best methods of rapid transportation in the game.

The Nydus is a funny thing. Blizz doubled the production time of the Nydus so you can't just ninja it into bases anymore (which was really fun). But it's also incredibly high tier, and most games I play don't make it that far O_O.

So I feel like the idea of the Nydus was to help BE a game changer for games that are dragging on.

Roaches look OP as all hell.

Would anybody in the beta please tell me more about Roaches?

Xombee:

They have high health, cost halfway between Zerglings and Hydras (75M/25V), are kind of slow, regenerate health while burrowed and can move while burrowed if you buy a 150M/150V upgrade.

But they get absolutely destroyed by Marauders (T) and Immortals (P) and can't hit air.

"Rolling green swarm of exploding death"? I'M IN!
And as a matter of fact, I just got Starcraft 1 today, and am already willing tot ry this other one out.

John Funk:
ZERG RUSH

I bet you had a lot of fun making it because YOU GOT TO PLAY IT *goes into corner and starts slicing his wrists*

Anyone want to friend me in the beta? My ID is Weaver.weaver
Add me, we could play a few games maybe :D

Xombee:

Many WOULD argue that Roaches are OP. They have 2 armor without upgrades, higher than a vanilla Ultralisk. They have around 140 HP with regen that increases while burrowed. They also high pretty high damage output. They can murder pretty much any of the races basic units except Marauders, and with use of a Queen you can get a lot of them out fast before the enemy can get their counters. It's especially hard on Protoss, since they have to tech to Immortals before they can really counter Roaches, as Zealots and Stalkers cannot take them.

AC10:

Feel free to add me if you want. I'm Dakkadakka.dakkadakka. Be warned, I'm pretty bad at this game right now. I just got into the beta last Friday, and haven't played too much. I never really played the first one online so I'm trying to get the basics of macro/micro down against people.

Comic Sans:

Xombee:

Many WOULD argue that Roaches are OP. They have 2 armor without upgrades, higher than a vanilla Ultralisk. They have around 140 HP with regen that increases while burrowed. They also high pretty high damage output. They can murder pretty much any of the races basic units except Marauders, and with use of a Queen you can get a lot of them out fast before the enemy can get their counters. It's especially hard on Protoss, since they have to tech to Immortals before they can really counter Roaches, as Zealots and Stalkers cannot take them.

AC10:

Feel free to add me if you want. I'm Dakkadakka.dakkadakka. Be warned, I'm pretty bad at this game right now. I just got into the beta last Friday, and haven't played too much. I never really played the first one online so I'm trying to get the basics of macro/micro down against people.

40k fan I see ;) I am too!
I'll add you sometime today, lots of work to do lol.

Comic Sans:

I would disagree about them being OP. They were very tough to beat early on in the beta, but that was mainly because they were new and nobody knew how to counter them. Nowadays Roach Rushes are rarely seen, as they are countered in the early game by Marauders from the Terran's and properly micro'd Stalkers for Protoss. The Stalkers will be shredded by Roaches if you let them get into range, but a Stalker has twice the firing range then Roaches and deals bonus damage against Armored, which happily Roaches are. By the time the Roaches have Burrow to allow them to charge your Stalkers, you should have a Immortal or two handy to end the Roach threat.

God I love this beta. :D

John Funk:

Xombee:

They have high health, cost halfway between Zerglings and Hydras (75M/25V), are kind of slow, regenerate health while burrowed and can move while burrowed if you buy a 150M/150V upgrade.

But they get absolutely destroyed by Marauders (T) and Immortals (P) and can't hit air.

Roaches are the new Hydralisk? I don't know how that makes me feel, hydras are awesome.

Do roaches heal rapidly only while burrowed? What kind of damage do the Marauders deal? I remember from SC concussive, normal, and explosive type damage modifiers which was further modified by the unit's size class. Is that what gives Marauders the edge?

Xombee:

John Funk:

Xombee:

Roaches are the new Hydralisk? I don't know how that makes me feel, hydras are awesome.

Do roaches heal rapidly only while burrowed? What kind of damage do the Marauders deal? I remember from SC concussive, normal, and explosive type damage modifiers which was further modified by the unit's size class. Is that what gives Marauders the edge?

Roaches arent replacement for Hydras if thats what you meant. They are a tier 1.5 ranged unit that cant hit air. Hydras are still in the game and are very powerfull in damage but kinda squishy.

Loved the vids and I am looking forward to the Protoss 101.

Desworks:

Comic Sans:

I would disagree about them being OP. They were very tough to beat early on in the beta, but that was mainly because they were new and nobody knew how to counter them. Nowadays Roach Rushes are rarely seen, as they are countered in the early game by Marauders from the Terran's and properly micro'd Stalkers for Protoss. The Stalkers will be shredded by Roaches if you let them get into range, but a Stalker has twice the firing range then Roaches and deals bonus damage against Armored, which happily Roaches are. By the time the Roaches have Burrow to allow them to charge your Stalkers, you should have a Immortal or two handy to end the Roach threat.

God I love this beta. :D

Stalkers don't necessarily beat Roaches. Yes, they have longer range, but can't kite because by the time they stop moving, shoot, then move again Roaches have hit them. Stalkers are also more expensive than Roaches, and have longer production time. It's way easier for Roaches to get in battle and kill Stalkers than vice versa. However, they CAN win if there's a Sentinal giving it's shield at a choke. That's one of the few situations where Stalkers have the advantage. Otherwise, they only have the advantage in theory rather than practice.

But yeah, Marauders rape Roaches.

ZUUUUURRGGG RUUUUSSSHHHHHH!
*dies*

can't wait to try them Zerg in PvP :D

Xombee:

John Funk:

Xombee:

Yes, Roaches only heal when burrowed underground. Rather than the old concussive, normal and explosive, in Starcraft 2 certain units have increased damage against specific types. For example, Marauders do increased damage to Armored units and the Baneling does increased damage against Light units. I think all the increased damage types are Light, Armored or Biological - with some units belonging to multiple types. Marines are light biological. So yes, Marauders tear up Roaches because of their inherent damage bonus to the Armored Roach, but they also attack at twice the range and slow targets they hit.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here