Science!: Sperm Battles And Bad Fathers

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Nice article! I lol'd hard reading the sperm fight bit. I can just imagine a load of sperms wearing helmets, banging heads. Also, guys try to show off infront of girls?! WOW I DIDNT KNOW! /sarcasm.

That was pretty interesting o.o

doesn't water flow up stream on the nile? I KNEW IT the Egyptian Pharaohs have lazers!

ninjajoeman:
doesn't water flow up stream on the nile? I KNEW IT the Egyptian Pharaohs have lazers!

Kratos strolls in to downtown Memphis looking to conquer, moments later a beam of light turns him to ash. Ra is sitting up on his Kill-Sat laughing his ass off.

I think everyone already knew that boys like to show off when hot girls are around. You don't think all those nut busting hand rail mishaps were accidents do you?

Y'know, I just attended yet another mandatory safety class on drunk driving, wherein they detail all the bad stuff that can happen to you if you're caught driving drunk. It's been all I can to not just yell "STOP WITH THE WHOLE MOTHERS AGAINST DRUNK DRIVING THING WHAT YOU NEED IS HOT LOYAL CHICKS AGAINST DRUNK DRIVING YOU IDIOTS!!!"

No one ever likes my ideas, and the hot disloyal chicks are mostly just driving drunk themselves.

Y'know, how do you actually classify a fish that effectively gets pregnant as a male? Does it have, like, a vestigal penis? Or do they just go off of the size of the gametes? An 'oviposter' that shoots unfertilized eggs is a penis by any other name to me.

Next week we will all learb that oxygen is good for you.

ninjajoeman:

What did you think all those giant stone structures were for? The bodies found insode aren't dead kings at all, they're people used as living batteries to power death rays.

"Combined with a form of fusion," don't forget.

ninjajoeman:

It makes everything in Stargate feel so true! It is a sign!

Also, why are they calling this process of reabsorbing some fishy-kids 'abortion' or 'cannibalism,' when it tends to happen naturally in humans as well? (Answer-because it makes feminists feel better about supporting abortion when they can point to 'males' who do this as well.) Besides, in multiple pregnancies, absorbing the extraneous is a perfectly natural reaction to too much kid for one woman.

Wait, didn't we already have this discussion?

008Zulu:

ninjajoeman:

Kratos strolls in to downtown Memphis looking to conquer, moments later a beam of light turns him to ash. Ra is sitting up on his Kill-Sat laughing his ass off.

I think everyone already knew that boys like to show off when hot girls are around. You don't think all those nut busting hand rail mishaps were accidents do you?

Evolutionary irony of damaging one's testicles to impress the female of the species.

"In the sperm world, you need to be ready for anything."

Great quote, or greatest quote?

Excellent science! this week. I especially enjoyed the water and silicon thingy. I have to wonder what these biologists think of their jobs when they make the discovery that ant sperm fight each other. It's interesting and all, but how will that ever have a practical application?

messy:

008Zulu:

Evolutionary irony of damaging one's testicles to impress the female of the species.

The Universe has a wicked sense of the ironic.

Epoetker:
Y'know, I just attended yet another mandatory safety class on drunk driving, wherein they detail all the bad stuff that can happen to you if you're caught driving drunk. It's been all I can to not just yell "STOP WITH THE WHOLE MOTHERS AGAINST DRUNK DRIVING THING WHAT YOU NEED IS HOT LOYAL CHICKS AGAINST DRUNK DRIVING YOU IDIOTS!!!"

No one ever likes my ideas, and the hot disloyal chicks are mostly just driving drunk themselves.

Y'know, how do you actually classify a fish that effectively gets pregnant as a male? Does it have, like, a vestigal penis? Or do they just go off of the size of the gametes? An 'oviposter' that shoots unfertilized eggs is a penis by any other name to me.

The classification of 'male' and 'female' is determined by the chromosomes of the subject - this fish is chromasomally male but just so happens to be the childbearing one. Same is true of sea-horses if I remember correctly. There are a few really cool creatures that can change their sex depending on the situation!

zelda2fanboy:
Excellent science! this week. I especially enjoyed the water and silicon thingy. I have to wonder what these biologists think of their jobs when they make the discovery that ant sperm fight each other. It's interesting and all, but how will that ever have a practical application?

There was a cool one I read about this week where they protein tagged two male mosquitos sperm one red, one green, then watched what happened as they went round the females womb some of the pictures were really cool!

Cant find my source, check back for it at some point!

EDIT: Found the press release, couldn't get the pictures! http://www.syr.edu/news/articles/2010/fluorescent-sperm-03-10.html

Interesting as usual. Just one thing... worker ants are female. Males are called drones, and breeding is their purpose in life - the only thing they do and the only reason they're bred. If it's not close to the nuptial flight of mating season, the colony is entirely female, typically with one or more breeders (the queen(s)) and a lot of usually sterile workers and soldiers.

Silicone and Water, a love that was never meant to be.....

I can see it now

"What light through yonder laser breaks! It is my water, and he is my photon." or something of the sort.

As always Lauren, shedding a drop of light into the wild and scary world of scientific discovery!

for the water up hill article it sounds like the tiny grooves in the silicon are sucking up the water in much the same way capillaries in the human body are able to suck blood into very small areas of the body. If you have small enough grooves in anything capillary action will take place.
I'm not saying that water isnt attracted to silicon, I'm saying the main driving force behind this science is probably capillary action coupled with some attraction between the water and silicon.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the water going up on the silicon similar to the capillary effect produced by things like wicks? If that's the case, I fail to see how this is really anything new and exciting, excluding the fact that a laser was involved of course.

Free energy applications aside, I wonder if this is the grounds for a perpetual motion machine. If you put a treated silicon wafer in a pool of water, will water travel up it, up over the top of the wafer, and then back down into the pool? Probably not, if the water is more attracted to the silicon at the head of the wafer than it is gravity.

That last one just proved my scientific thesis: Science is only around to prove things we already know. In fact, my announcement of this is just further proof. The cycle repeats.

Seems unscientific of the researchers to comment on the attractiveness of the women determining the risk-taking behaviour of the skateboarders. The study was just "in front of males" compared with "in front of females." They're just assuming the predicted effect is true.

geldonyetich:
Free energy applications aside, I wonder if this is the grounds for a perpetual motion machine.

Free energy = perpetual motion = "overunity engines". They're all the same impossibility in different costumes.

Formica Archonis:

geldonyetich:
Free energy applications aside, I wonder if this is the grounds for a perpetual motion machine.

Free energy = perpetual motion = "overunity engines". They're all the same impossibility in different costumes.

A reasonable assertion, I'll give you that, but I feel it unwise to underestimate what impossibilities may be rendered into boring practical everyday applications of the future.

I was under the impression that human sperm was competitive. I think I learned this from one of my high school teachers, but men have three types of sperm: ones that attempt to fertilize the egg, offensive ones that attack rival sperm, and defensive ones that attempt to block rival attacking sperm.

I remember reading a story about how superman could potentially create a weapon of mass destruction by masturbating.

His sperm would travel through the air just like it would water or any other matter. In theory this would create millions of tiny single minded creatures that penetrate all surfaces looking for eggs.

They'd end up killing, at least, every female in Metropolis. Not to mention any males or animals they puncture (or impregnate) along the way.

Kinda unrelated. But we were talking about deadly sperm so...meh :P.

geldonyetich:

Formica Archonis:

geldonyetich:

A reasonable assertion, I'll give you that, but I feel it unwise to underestimate what impossibilities may be rendered into boring practical everyday applications of the future.

You mean like storing the equivelant of all the data ever written by ever person who has ever lived on a device the size of your pinky nail? :).

Lauren Admire:
This Just In: Boys Do Stupid Things Around Pretty Girls
>snip<
Tell us something we didn't already know.

Yeah, that sounds about right: any teenager who went to high school could attest to that. But at least we have scientific proof now, right?? :)
Cool little piece about water and silicon, I really learned something there!! Thanks!

Those pipefish are messed up! I'm just picturing humans doing what they do. A guy marries a semi-attractive woman and has kids with her. But then he notices a prettier girl. So he divorces his wife, eats his kids, and repeats the process with the new girl.

...yeah, I like our way better.

Boris Baer:
"To my knowledge women do not copulate with 90 mates in half an hour, so whether there is much room that this has evolved in humans as well, I have my doubts," says Baeur. "[But] in the sperm world you must be prepared for everything."

I have no idea what to make of this quote. Is he being sarcastic? Making a joke? Whatever the reason, this is pretty funny.

I'm glad my sperm won't have to battle it out arena-style with 90 other males' sperm :O

I had a horrible mental imagine when I read sperm fights.

Someone standing up in a room shouting "SPERM FIIIIGHT!". Wrong... so very Wrong.

theultimateend:
I remember reading a story about how superman could potentially create a weapon of mass destruction by masturbating.

I think you're thinking about Larry Niven's classic Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex.

Formica Archonis:
Interesting as usual. Just one thing... worker ants are female. Males are called drones, and breeding is their purpose in life - the only thing they do and the only reason they're bred. If it's not close to the nuptial flight of mating season, the colony is entirely female, typically with one or more breeders (the queen(s)) and a lot of usually sterile workers and soldiers.

Thanks for pointing that out - it's been fixed!

Lauren Admire:
Thanks for pointing that out - it's been fixed!

My pleasure. I knew all my years of reading and assorted geekery would someday come in handy.:)

In the quote at the end he said "affect" when it should have been "effect", unless once again I'm being thick...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here