Stolen Pixels #179: Breen Interviews Chell

Pages 1 2 NEXT

In today's Stolen Pixels, a Valve crossover of epic proportions! ...kind of.

Read Full Article

Some fans did patch the ending of KOTOR II. They added all the stuff that didn't make the cut due to time constraints.

Hmm...I thought Portal's original ending was shit.

I liked the song, until I heard it over and over and over on the internet.

But I hate this cryptic bullshit that Valve pulls even more.

Give us solid info or no info.

Shamus Young:
Is it too late for someone to patch up the end of Knights of the Old Republic II? I'm just asking.

It's too late! We have failed, it's all my fault! All my fault! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

laryri:
Some fans did patch the ending of KOTOR II. They added all the stuff that didn't make the cut due to time constraints.

Oh wait, they did. Whew.

The comic was pretty funny though.

She may be a silent protagonist, but that expression can say a lot.

"Convinced them to? I'm the friggin test subject!"

Didn't Fallout 3 change the ending after launch?
Because the first ending...you know...sucked?

For a silent protagonist, she has a lot to say. Even if it's just with her eyes.

Always a delight to see Breen behind his interview desk. Thanks, Shamus!

That was even funnier for me because I haven't played the game didn't know Chell was a silent protagonist, so... you know, surprise!!! :)

And here is a link to the patch for KOTOR II.

Team Gizka promises that it includes:
* The long-lost HK Droid Factory! (not the same as the Droid Planet M4-78)
* Several ways to murder Visas!
* A whole new group of people who want to kill you!
* Multiple endings! (no, really, actual endings)
* Various ways to be responsible for the deaths of all your party members!

http://www.team-gizka.org/

Now the only thing we need it for someone to fix the storyline in Mass Effect 2, so that its not completely crap and confusing.

Who knew Metro was a fan?

Wait, it's Portal. It'd be easier to ask, "who isn't a fan?"

Does it really count as a retcon when it just shows what happened next?

Baby Tea:

that was when broken steel was released it changed.

cool i would love to see them change hl 2's ending.

lmao. Is Gabe Newell a silent protagonist XD

Brilliant

JeppeH:

There's also the other one, that's "final".

http://www.deadlystream.com/forum/f123/sith-lords-restored-content-mod-final-1-5-version-here-1158.html

It's a less "perfectionist" project.

I have a new theory. Metro dragged Chell over to the studio after seeing her on the ground while visiting the Apeture Science labs because he wanted to see where the game took place. He dragged her to the studio and now she's angry at Breen and Metro and is giving them the silent treatment. Protal 2 will take place in the studio.

laryri:

Well they added a lot more stuff in, not all of it.

Baby Tea:

Nah, you just don't die after the crappy ending. Now you just wake up, ready to go smash in some more Enclave faces and carry right where you left off.

Yes, we all are fans of the Chell, but it's a good thing Breen didn't interview the WCC...
It might have caused a massive fan rush :D

Phoenix1213:

JeppeH:

There's also the other one, that's "final".

http://www.deadlystream.com/forum/f123/sith-lords-restored-content-mod-final-1-5-version-here-1158.html

It's a less "perfectionist" project.

In the sense that, unlike Team Gizka's work, this has actually been released and isn't stuck in development hell, heh. Didn't realize they were up to 1.5 though, I think I'm still using 1.4d - thanks for prompting me to get the new version!

Did they REALLY need to patch the ending? They could have merely plopped the continued ending into the intro for Portal 2.

George Lucas is now working for Valve???

I was excited about 2 when I finished Portal, apart from a couple of fears which have now been dissolved...

I WANT THAT GAME!

Baby Tea:

I don't think it was changed so much as simply extended. Although, one assumed at the end of Portal that Chell had escaped, but instead was receptured when the story changed. Likewise, the player would assume that the Lone Wanderer died at the end of F3, but instead survived to continue the story, so... I don't know, maybe it was changed.

You be the judge.

I don't think the ending really "changed" for Portal. Certainly you assume that Chell escaped, but in reality, you could say that the, "New" ending is just a couple of extra seconds tacked on to the old ending, and extending what happened by a little bit. No changes, just adding.

Fallout 3, however, changed the ending. At least for many, it says that you died, sacrificing your life to save everyone. Then, they changed it to you surviving. This is punctuated by the fact that at one point, the game ended, and with the DLC, you suddenly could play again. However, I'm fine with this, because they listened to the fans, and made it better.

Luckily it doesn't affekt my theory that the lab is on Hawaii and that is where ep3 is going to play out.

They mention it in ep2!

I just hope they finish Half Life 2 and I have time to play it before the actual collapse of human civilization takes place.

my_ledge_ends:
Did they REALLY need to patch the ending? They could have merely plopped the continued ending into the intro for Portal 2.

Well it certainly added a lot more hype towards the game. People are talking about it like crazy so to me it seems like a smart marketing device.

Where do you get the Character Model for Chell Shamus? It doesn't seem practical that its pulled from "views through portals" of the player character. The face seems so much detailed than I ever remembered it.

On another note, Chell isn't necessarily a silent protagonist, its the simple matter of there's no other human in the game for her to interact with, so why would she talk? Given the choice of keeping quiet or having conversations with Glados, I think I'd stay quiet too. Glados has nice dulcet tones, but for most of the game she's all business: "This next room is likely to take you a very, very long time. Feel free to faint. Someone will be along shortly to revive you with epson salts and adrenaline." Face it, she's just not an interesting AI to have a chat with. I myself would be thrilled if Chell speaks in Portal 2, if in fact there is anyone for her to speak to, once again.

Is it just me or does Chell's "sitting pose" seem sorta awkward? But that's just nitpicking.

Well, good comic as always Shamus. Thumbs up.

Andronicus:

Baby Tea:

I don't think it was changed so much as simply extended. Although, one assumed at the end of Portal that Chell had escaped, but instead was receptured when the story changed.

The original end of Portal was entirely ambiguous. Personally I had assumed that Chell was dead. Sucked through a white hole in the ceiling and dropped out face-first on the pavement amid a bunch of flaming wreckage? That did not fill me with optimism regarding her organic body's survival of the transition from point A to point B. Other people thought she escaped - okay, possible. Point being that the ending was just extended. It's a change, but it's not like the original ending was Chell getting up and running out into the forest screaming in joyous freedom.

They added closure, in a sense. Better? Worse? Eh, just more information than we had with the first version.

Yes, I too would like a complete re-do of KotOR II. It's not gonna happen though, even the unofficial patches are more than I expected. That game was so... manic-depressive, it jumped from insanely awesome and well written to laughably and lazily designed. It's a shame, really, since I could say I enjoyed it overall if it weren't for that god-awful last hour.

On topic, Chell is looking nice. Did she always have that bed-hair? I don't remember that. Maybe my graphics were always set too low.

Shamus Young:

In today's Stolen Pixels, a Valve crossover of epic proportions! ...kind of.

Read Full Article

It wasn't a retcon! The update didn't change anything that previously happened, it only showed what happened after the end.

I applaud their audacity to retcon. In my opinion, videogames need to use retcons (DMC 2, anyone?) It would be great if a one-off idea bombs and they say, "Sorry, fans, we'll erase this from the history and make sure it never happens again." Especially with all the switch-ups that can occur with creative control.

There's an obscure game called "Secret Files: Tunguska" where the developers changed the ending after the players complained.
Basically, the heroine spends the whole game searching for her father, but the original ending didn't even mention him. The patch fixed that and even added a 'where are they now' montage.

This comic is unfortunate thanks to the recent news. but please let Dr. Breen live on, we all love him!

Well, that's a funny aneurysm moment isn't it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here