Escape to the Movies: Hot Tub Time Machine

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Hot Tub Time Machine

This week MovieBob takes a look at Hot Tub Time Machine.

Watch Video

Nice review, I might check this out when it comes out on DVD.
I agree about the Back to the Future comment, besides the third, I wasn't a big fan of the third, it wasn't bad, just not as good.

I might go see it, unless its a comedy in the style of stuff like Superbad, 40 year old Virgin, and Knocked Up.

I HATE THOSE MOVIES WITH A PASSION.

I've always said they should leave that series WELL alone. Still that last joke was really funny. Good video as always.

You know, I thought for sure this one was going to bomb, but so far, all the reviews seem pretty positive. I guess I gotta keep an open mind more often.

Shia LaBeof in a BttF film would... WOULD... rip apart the time-space continuum. Seriously.

I lol'd at the end, they really shouldnt make any more BTTF's.
Also, i now want to see Hot tub time machine & Chloe.

Good review. Personally, I have the same feelings about this move I had for the movie, The Hangover, which was hysterical... but movies like Knocked Up, Superbad, and Accepted (basically, the American Pie douches making the same damn movie with the same damn jokes) have colored my opinions of modern comedies a poor color... like... shitty brown. I might go see it, though.

Good review. One of his funniest ones too in awhile.

Is it possible to lose the respect of a reviewer after one review? Yes, I must say that you have lost a fan Movie bob, you picked me up when you said you hated halo, you lost me when you recommended this movie. Also the problem with Repomen was that the fucking idea was stolen from Repo the genetic opera, it was THE SAME FUCKING CONCEPT WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS. *sigh* farewell movie bob, with this the escapist is one step closer to being dead to me.

Hooray, I was so hoping for this movie to be good. Also, completely agree on the BttF point. The remake would probably have way too much lens-glare or shaky camera anyway

Yeah I was poised for you to tear into this thing because the commercials don't make it look very good. Yet, you gave a really pretty much glowing review. I just might go see this movie based on this review, where as there was no chance in hell I would have seen it before.

Good review...

Hot... Tub... Time... Machine?
Who the heck thinks up these names?

Might go catch hot tub at some point, seems like a good unwinding flick.

Kudos for the stance on Back To The Future too, couldnt agree more on a 4th installment.

Look, we're not angry because Repo: The Genetic Opera was really good, we're angry because whoever the fuck came up with the title was blatantly stupid enough to add the word Repo to the title of a movie that's ripping off the same general premise as another movie with Repo in it. Quality isn't the problem: plagarism is.

I kind of wanted to see this anyway, even though I rarely go out of my way to see comedies. But you haven't steered me wrong on movies yet Bob, so I'm going to try and check it out.

<grumble> Shia...grr...

He's right about Back to the future.

So Hot Tub Time Machine is funny

blakfayt:
Is it possible to lose the respect of a reviewer after one review? Yes, I must say that you have lost a fan Movie bob, you picked me up when you said you hated halo, you lost me when you recommended this movie. Also the problem with Repomen was that the fucking idea was stolen from Repo the genetic opera, it was THE SAME FUCKING CONCEPT WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS. *sigh* farewell movie bob, with this the escapist is one step closer to being dead to me.

Melodramatic much?

OT--I was on the fence about seeing this. On the one hand it had a decent cast. On the other, the premise was idiotic. Maybe I'll give it a go when it hits the local cheap seats.

I was thoroughly prepared for Bob to rip this one apart. I completely thought that it would be a terrible comedy I mean really, how good could a movie be with the title "Hot Tub Time Machine" be. I guess I need to stop judging books by their cover.

I find comedy like that really awkward.

PayJ567:
I've always said they should leave that series WELL alone. Still that last joke was really funny. Good video as always.

I said something along same lines too, heh.

The last joke did craack me up pretty bad =P Had to explain to a co-worker why I was laughing so hard lol

I am not going to be able to escape this film for the next few weeks. It was shot in the lovely resort town of Fernie, British Columbia where several of my friends are from. Several of my friends who like these kinda brain-dead gross out comedies that I'm really hit or miss on, seriously I can't recall the last time I saw a movie that "everyone" said was funny that I actually found funny. The Hangover was okay but Pineapple Express, Knocked Up, 40 Year Old Virgin, Superbad etc. all kinda... I dunno, made me annoyed.

You ever get the feeling Bob likes to snipe back at the people that snipe at him? (states the obvious)
shrug. I'm actually under orders to go to the movies Bob likes (only reason I saw Repo Men), but in this case I think I'll make an exception. Comedies by and large aren't my thing. Haven't actually enjoyed one since Office Space.

Jiggawho?

MovieBob:
Hot Tub Time Machine

Be sure to join Escape to the Movies Facebook Fan Page here.

Watch Video

Can you review heavy rain please? I want to see what a movie reviewer thinks of it instead of a game reviewer.

If that happens to back to the future odds are I'd be right behind you on the retaliation

Imagine if Bay directer

I would have put Hot Tub Time Machine and She's Out of My League in the same league (of s***), but hearing Bob's review has changed my mind a bit. Who doesn't love making fun of the 80s? I think I may go see it now.

Haha, loved the bit at the end Bob, great stuff.

Below is my final, definitive opinion on the whole Repo! concept rip off notion

Sorry, I rambled a bit, my apologies, back on topic dammit, back on topic.
Well this movie does look interesting, hopefully some of the humor is more mature then some recent comedies but if nothing else it certainly LOOKS very unique and creative in the sense that it's just a random crazy wild adventure that doesn't need to make sense, just entertain. I would enjoy watching it save for that I would have to wait a very long time given that I live in Australia and therefore most of our movies arrive in theatres MONTHS after yours do (to give an indication of time frame here, only a few weeks ago have I started seeing posters advertising the Book of Eli.... yeah, that's how far behind we are) so odds are I'll be waiting a little while.... or a really long while.

Also, I have to agree with what you said about Back to the Future, while I wasn't born when it first showed up I too fell for its charm and as a result I would not want my own generation to dirty it with their filthy hands.

Wow, were people really that pissed off about Repo?

Damn...

OT: I honestly didn't expect this movie to be considered funny. Probably because of all of the so called "comedy" movies out now make me want to murder whoever came up with them...

But still, might go see this. It sure peaked my curiosity thats for sure.

Now I want to go see Chloe.

Oh yeah, and HTTM as well.

The only thing I'm wondering is whether the guys in this movie act like guys, or more like underdeveloped men. I mean, I KNOW they're going back to their teenage years, but I'm just so sick of comedies where the guys in it act like children who have never seen breasts before. It'll be far more interesting to me if they're acting like their 30 year old selves in teenage bodies.

I have not seen a film at a cinema that made me really laugh in a long time. I just don't think comedy works as well in 90+ minute format, and modern comedy films tend to be either loud and obnoxious or have tons of cultural references that mean nothing to me. I like silly or dark comedy and not seeing much of that around at movies.

That all said, this could be a rental on DVD someday and might be decent.

williebaz:

MovieBob:
Hot Tub Time Machine

Be sure to join Escape to the Movies Facebook Fan Page here.

Watch Video

Can you review heavy rain please? I want to see what a movie reviewer thinks of it instead of a game reviewer.

He could do a Game OverThinker episode on some aspect of it.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here