Escape to the Movies: Hot Tub Time Machine

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Wow, Bob, honestly didn't think you were gonna touch this one. I thought this week would be some DVD editorial mandate thing, since I looked at the new releases and thought, 'none of these movies are worth a MovieBob review.' What a pleasant surprise for me then.

Anyways, thanks for the advice that it's really good and funny. I must now go and gather my roommates so we may see this movie tonight.

PedroSteckecilo:
I am not going to be able to escape this film for the next few weeks. It was shot in the lovely resort town of Fernie, British Columbia where several of my friends are from. Several of my friends who like these kinda brain-dead gross out comedies that I'm really hit or miss on, seriously I can't recall the last time I saw a movie that "everyone" said was funny that I actually found funny. The Hangover was okay but Pineapple Express, Knocked Up, 40 Year Old Virgin, Superbad etc. all kinda... I dunno, made me annoyed.

I feel exactly the same way man. I've started to avoid all Judd Apatow films. (He directed all the aforementioned Pineapple Express, Knocked Up, 40 Year Old Virgin, Superbad ect.)

I also think that, yes, they would botch up A Back to the Future remake, mainly because, being only 22 years old, I nonetheless saw the last few breaths of those who weren't politically correct and can thus keep my eyes and mind open to certain artforms and jokes that don't particularly fill the whitewashed mold of 2010 (Hence mine, and many other's, appreciation of Repo!) Also, some of the younger teens who also did appreciate Repo! are doing so, I think, because they have also had the chance to come in contact with these same cult classics. Finally, those who overdo the 'politically correct' bit for comedy seem to only end up with a 'Land of the Lost' premise D: ...but anyways.
Yeah, I'll check it out... :)

I've been needing to watch HTTM since I first read the title. Yeah, I've had a massive love affair with ridiculously titled movies ever since SoaP.

Oh, and they'd better not *ever* make another sequel to BttF! The end. That's it. The series is done. The third one wrapped things up nicely; we neither need nor want another. It's inevitable that a remake will happen within the next decade or two so I'll deal with that when it comes but no more sequels to this beloved franchise please!

Well I didn't even know Repo! existed until this video so yeah. Some obscure film has a similar plot to another film so you're going to bitch and whine at a reviewer and throw in some overly emo melodrama? What fantastic lives you lead.

I'm torn on this film. I've noticed that 9/10 Bob is generally right about a film but the piss poor slew of "comedy" films that have come out recently have kind of killed the genre for me.

Izzil:

blakfayt:
Is it possible to lose the respect of a reviewer after one review? Yes, I must say that you have lost a fan Movie bob, you picked me up when you said you hated halo, you lost me when you recommended this movie. Also the problem with Repomen was that the fucking idea was stolen from Repo the genetic opera, it was THE SAME FUCKING CONCEPT WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS. *sigh* farewell movie bob, with this the escapist is one step closer to being dead to me.

Melodramatic much?

Not really, the only reason I came to the escapist was for ZP, I just found a few other things that are slightly above youtube quality here and decided "what the hell?" ZP and Unskippable are the only shows that are actually keeping me here now (oh, and loadingreadyrun is pretty good too) that and the series final of Doomsday Arcade.

Why doesn't anyone think that us 18-20 year olds know nothing about anything before 1990? I love BTTF! Seriously... Just give me the damn script, all you really have to do to have an updated version is change the year, style of clothing and topical references and vwala!

I am sorry Bob that my fellow Repo!: TGO fans bothered you so much. Hell even I was starting to get pissed by how many people posted the exact same thing over and over again for 7 pages!! (Does Anyone READ the forums before they post??) So Again on behalf of my fellow fans I Apologize.

Onto "Hot Tub", Looks like a weird movie premise but sense you say it in tone with "There's something about Mary", I'll have to give it a shot and go watch it. Thanks for the Review. BTW I thought in the Warriors of Virtue it was more of an Alternate Dimension portal then time portal, yea i have sadly seen the movie, in theaters none the less.

williebaz:

MovieBob:
Hot Tub Time Machine

This week MovieBob takes a look at Hot Tub Time Machine.

Be sure to join Escape to the Movies Facebook Fan Page here.

Watch Video

Can you review heavy rain please? I want to see what a movie reviewer thinks of it instead of a game reviewer.

I support this message.

I wasn't expecting Hot Tub Time Machine to be funny but hey, guess I'll take your word for it. Agree with you about the Back to the Future thing, all those movies are my number 1 favorite movie; Any contemporary rendition would suck. They should put Christopher Loydd in more movies though.

Got to see this one :P

MaraJade03:
I am sorry Bob that my fellow Repo!: TGO fans bothered you so much. Hell even I was starting to get pissed by how many people posted the exact same thing over and over again for 7 pages!! (Does Anyone READ the forums before they post??) So Again on behalf of my fellow fans I Apologize.

It pisses me off too. People just kept replying to the first post mentioning REPO! and PHAIL TRAIN (sic) that looked like some bitchings a three year old farted out, just to say, "I agree with this". I mean, if you're going to bother posting, at least add SOMETHING to the discussion.

Also, I don't harbour much ill will on the makers of Repomen; I'm just saddened by the ignorance they've shown. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I still don't think Repomen was intended to be a rip-off; all we know for sure is that the book it was based on is a shameless rip-off.

Wait a sec, there's ACTUALLY a movie called Hot Tub Time Machine? I totally thought it was just a 30 Rock joke. Man...

I have to admit, this review has gotten me interested in going to the theater again sometime soon. I just don't know which one to choose, Hot Tub Time Machine or Chloe. One movie is a comedy MovieBob gave a thumbs up to, and the other has that hot chick that wasn't Megan Fox in Jennifer's Body but also hotter than her that MovieBob gave a thumbs up to as well.

As for Back to the Future, I agree they should leave that one alone. Though I would enjoy see Christopher Loydd on the big screen again, I wouldn't want somebody take over as Marty for Michael J Fox. The only way a new Back to the Future installment might work in my opinion, is if it takes place after the third film several years later, and focuses on Doctor Brown's sons as the main characters of the film. Christopher Loydd would act like how he was in the orginal trilogy while being overprotective towards his sons as they get into trouble. I don't know what they'd do about Dr Brown's wife, but if they want to have Marty to be involved in the film, I'd say bring back Michael J Fox as the character for only one or two scenes. Yes, he has that condition we all know of, but after watching him act in the Rescue Me tv series I think he still has some ability to act in another Back in the Future as long as the scenes are short and have a point. Of course, Marty would be older and would more than likely just give the two kids some advice, but heck it's the only way I think it would work in that kind of movie. But of course, I still say leave Back to the Future alone.

I've never seen Mulholland Drive, just heard of it. Bob's convinced me to go give it a rent.

Ever noticed that in science games, Magic is replaced by Quantumn?

Eukaryote:
Jiggawho?

Jiggawatt!!!!

Now thats out of my system (and lets face it someone had to do it) I will say that this was a decent review with an awesome end. Based on the review I am definatly tempted to see the movie now. Always like comedies and it would be nice to see how our measures of comedy differ, talking to you Bob ^^

The plot sounds utterly stupid, looking at it. I'm all for the funny, but seriously, it's hard to take "hot tub causes four guys to go back in time" as a plot element without a cynical comment.

I'm glad we both agree on what would happen if Back to the Future was rebooted. I wouldn't even call it a reboot, I'd call it a money making excuse. At least it's not as bad as Chris Evans being cast as Cap'n America for the movie series...oh wait...didn't he also play the role of The Human Torch in the Fantastic Four films?
image....AHHHHHHHHHHH CHARACTER PARADOX! Why won't they cast Nathan Fillion?! It's an injustice I tell you. Anyways my wife is set on never going to theaters ever again so I have to wait for the dvd even though I really want to see Hot Tub Time Machine. Right now I'm gonna go watch Astro Boy and Ninja Assassin.

I want to see this now.
Oh, and THE DOCTOR SAYS NO!

I'm also a big skiier and missing the mountain already, even though it's been a week since my last trip of the season. If it involves shinnanigans, snow, and weird looking goggles, I'm in.

Uhhh... So why is someone a douche-bag just because you weren't born when a movie came out? Ghostbusters is one of my favorite movies, but I wasn't around in '86.

ANYWAY! Good review, but damn Bob, I don't like when you go off on these maniacal hate trips.

It's just not you, man.

blakfayt:
Is it possible to lose the respect of a reviewer after one review? Yes, I must say that you have lost a fan Movie bob, you picked me up when you said you hated halo, you lost me when you recommended this movie. Also the problem with Repomen was that the fucking idea was stolen from Repo the genetic opera, it was THE SAME FUCKING CONCEPT WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS. *sigh* farewell movie bob, with this the escapist is one step closer to being dead to me.

this just in; Chronicles of Narnia [the Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe] is just a rip-off of the bible, Audio Slave is a rip-off of Pink Floyd, every parliament type used in the world is a rip-off of the Viking ones thousands of years ago, and of course Final Fantasy in itself uses the exact same story for every single game.

or, maybe a picture would be more helpful

seriously, people who complain "oh, that movie stole'd the idea from another one so obviously it must suck" are the reasons I cant enjoy movies anymore.

now we got that out of the way, Repomen is not REPO! as REPO! was a musical. If your going to say that Repomen is a straight rioff of that musical crap, then Nudist Colony of the Dead is obviously a canon story of the Land of the Dead series.

OT: if its as funny as you claim it to be Moviebob, Ill watch it, Im still wary of people calling a movie 'funny' from an incident with a friend who claimed 'superbad' was funny.

the maker of those movies should be banned form ever having ideas.

i can always count on you to remind me why they should never remake movies

blakfayt:

you take yourself too seriously, friend.

I feel somewhat responsible for the repo opener, however I never said I liked repo I said it wasn't bad.

Anyhow I suppose I will look into this movie as I do like the 80s and would enjoy a good old comedy. I'm amazed you managed to fill the entire episode and I think I would help you in destroying the theater after a new back to the future movie. Then we could take a road trip to holly wood and fix some wagons...fix em good.

So I take it we are all in agreement that the other girl from jennifers body was hotter than megan fox? Good I'm glad we got that squared away.

Honestly, of all of the movie previews i saw over the last year, Hot Tub Time Machine looked the most unfunny and retarded. i was expecting a total pile of shit, with probably the least likely chance of receiving positive reviews.

Now that it's out, i'm still in utter disbelief that it's getting positive reviews. Either the theory from Idiocracy is running full force, or i need to stop being so prejudice against shitty movie previews. we'll see after tonight, after this review convinced me to go see it.

I got to say thank you for not spoiling any of the jokes. A lot of good comedies fallow that same route. Will have to cheek out. Hopefully you do the same with Kick Ass.

Though just on a personal note since I was born in late eights. Back To The Future is to me what Star Wars is to others. I went to Universal Parks when they had the ride for the sole purpose of it. Took a ton of pictures of just the Delorian they had out there. Seen the movie in VHS, Batamax, and DVD, all because I love those movies. Hell I watch Back To The Future the series for a good while, and watch Bill Nyie(have no idea how to spell his name right) The Science Guy because of that.

Just because some of use might not be as wise as you, don't mean we don't know our stuff. I fully agree with you it probably suck, because that was the same reasoning for why we got Marty McFly played by the same guy who did Teen Wolf.

(please delete this sorry about double post)

blakfayt:

*ahem*

http://www.cracked.com/funny-2724-trolls/

Second one from the top.

Please stop reading the comments MovieBob. Don't be afraid to be a know it all critic who ignores his fans.

Works for Yahtzee

Bob, I will admit that that when you mentioned that Julianne Moore and Amanda Seyfried would be doing the nasty in a movie, I dropped my sandwich and said aloud (to my computer), "What?!" I was more than a little freaked out when you then respond, "No, seriously. They totally do" after the appropriate comedic beat. Well played, Bob. Well played, indeed.

I was going to check this movie out just in case it was funny. I've lost faith in a lot of new comedy movies, due namely to the ones that have been mentioned (superbad, etc), and also I didn't think the hangover was very funny at all. As for the repo vs repo ripoff argument, it is not a new concept.. Monty python did something similar in 1983's Meaning of Life http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp-pU8TFsg0

I wasn't sure about Hot Tub but this review is making me want to watch it.

I guess i gotta watch this, not much else to comment on the review.

He's damn right about a back to the future remake. Not necesarely the writer is going to be young but certainly is going to target the script to a younger audience, and we all know what's the average teenager like.

blakfayt:

I agree my friend, they didnt just steal one thing from the movie like most movies do, Repo! was movie was not trying to be Rocky Horror, he contradicted himself in saying that, just because it was an unconventional musical with gothic elements. If your going to be that black and white about it, then mark up Sweeney Todd as a ripoff too.

Repo! was an over the top political statement while Repo Men ripped off Repo! Daybreakers, Equiliberium and about a dozen other scifi movies.

Seriously disappointed movie Bob, especially when you always bitch about Transformers, even though i agree with you

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here