Escape to the Movies: Hot Tub Time Machine

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

sounds to me like MB is just being a little.. whiny. Did the fact that people said Repo Men was a rip off hurt your wittle feewings?

Haha, oh man. Just imagining Shia le Bouf as McFly jr. just gives me the willies. Jigga who?

I think MovieBob is understating just how similar of a premise Repo! and Repo Men have. The similarities between Warriors of Virtue and Hot Tub Time Machine are obviously laughable because they share one debatable similarity.

Repo! The Genetic Opera and Repo Men, however, share much more than that. Repo Men were even the names of the organ collectors in Repo! All the main character needed in Repo Men needed was a dead wife and estranged daughter for it to be the same fucking movie.

MovieBob, I still enjoy your reviews, but this review and the Halo Legends review are starting to make me lose faith in your credibility as a critic. :/

OT: Nice review, even if you did spend it rambling on purpose. It's good when a film which looks like it will be totally retarded is suprisingly high quality.

blakfayt:
Is it possible to lose the respect of a reviewer after one review? Yes, I must say that you have lost a fan Movie bob, you picked me up when you said you hated halo, you lost me when you recommended this movie. Also the problem with Repomen was that the fucking idea was stolen from Repo the genetic opera, it was THE SAME FUCKING CONCEPT WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS. *sigh* farewell movie bob, with this the escapist is one step closer to being dead to me.

Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

dkyros:

Eukaryote:
Jiggawho?

Jiggawatt!!!!

JIGGAWHO?

as a journalist in training all i can say is fucking good job you are funny but yo always make a good point. movie bob you are awesome

Eh... Weakest MovieBob yet, IMHO. If you can't review comedies, then pick something else, instead of taking five minutes to tell us that you can't review it. SOrry.

God, I seriously agree with you about Back to the Future. Please do not make a remake ever!
About Hot Tub Time Machine, it looks pretty good, and I love Rob Cordry, so I'll probably check this out.

Because. Clearly. It's okay to steal someones idea blatantly as long as what your ripping off sucks.

(I'm a fan of both Repo and Movie Bob, but I have to disagree with you here.)

Warriors of Virtue!?
I loved that movie!

I'll probably wait until Hot Tub Time Machine is out on DVD to see it.

I love Repo! in a similar way to my [admittedly] disgusting love of the Final Destination movies. It's such a spectacular mess and at the same time so badass that I have trouble not laughing my balls off every time I watch it.

Hopefully that answers the classic question: "Why do people like Repo?"

Sorry Bob, if we Repo fans annoyed you. (I was on the first page and didn't check back to see how many repeated) And yes sorry if this seems like a repeat post, but: we are not annoyed because of plot, we are annoyed because of concept. The plots are admittedly different but the concepts for the setting of the movies are the same. Repo! is over a decade old now (not the movie, the stage play that is adapted to movie). Also, these links may be helpful for those who don't know why were mad.
Video for short conversation with director, writer,and Alexa Vega :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyQ-2IPXg4k" title="" target="_blank"> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyQ-2IPXg4k
Blog post on the history of Repo by director: http://www.darrenlynnbousman.com/a-brief-lesson-in-history-repo-vs-repo/
(this one's a bit long)
OT: I dunno, I'm still kind of skeptical about HTTM. Then again I'm not one for straight up comedy all the time. I'm a weirdo who prefers drier humor. Still, might be worth keeping in mind when I get in the right move for this kind of comedy :) Also agree about the BttF comment (and I'm 19).

Hm, you know, this little pass, or something, has just been laying around the house for this movie. And it's the weekend now. I may have to see what I can do.

Oh the Repo! TGO Vs. Repo Men. Ehn, to each his own. Here's something I don't like though; I have a friend, and she was yelling about how it's such a big ripoff, and therefor hates it.

...A bit irrational of her, and I'm sure you people here that are fans of Repo! will agree. Hope none of you guys follow that thought pattern.

I doubt they intended a ripoff, but it happened. I ripped off Cartesian Skepticism without even knowing it. It can happen. I personally think that Repo Men have a solid place, because the whole concept is a lot more relevant in this day and age. Besides, that;s actually... an interesting idea. Convert a plot to a different genre? ...With the right type of people, this could work as a universal concept.

But not now. Tired.

SaunaKalja:
Wait a sec, there's ACTUALLY a movie called Hot Tub Time Machine? I totally thought it was just a 30 Rock joke. Man...

The first time I saw the ad on T.V. this was my reaction.

OT: I kind of love 80s comedies. I might have to see this.

I had absolutely no intention of seeing it before. I really think this movie suffers from an atrocious title.

And I totally agree about Back to the Future. A remake would most likely ruin it. I don't even want to think about who they'd cast in it.

tomservo4prezident:
I love Repo! in a similar way to my [admittedly] disgusting love of the Final Destination movies. It's such a spectacular mess and at the same time so badass that I have trouble not laughing my balls off every time I watch it.

Actually I liked it cause of the music. Some of the gore took me awhile to watch. That and it's a bizarre coming of age story. Which is where it differs from Repo Men even if they take place in similar worlds. I like to compare REPO! TGO to Alice in Wonderland, mainly cause I see the Graverobber in a Cherise Cat role but that's just me.

IF they do another Back to the Future it should be an actual sequel with the original cast all grown up with writers who saw Back to the Future. Also I actually enjoyed the third one it was gimmicky sure but still enjoyable, it was like someone decided to toy around with the concept a bit.

The first rule about Back To the Future; you don't remake Back To the Future.

It's the law.

ZZoMBiE13:
Shia LaBeof in a BttF film would... WOULD... rip apart the time-space continuum. Seriously.

It would cause me to go on a genocide from anger.

Seriously, I hate that little Shia Labitch cunt so much.

Just how "Artsy" is Chloe??? Also, MovieBob hope you have fun reviewing Clash of the Titans next week, at least that's what I'm hoping you'll review.

MaraJade03:

tomservo4prezident:

Actually I liked it cause of the music. Some of the gore took me awhile to watch. That and it's a bizarre coming of age story. Which is where it differs from Repo Men even if they take place in similar worlds. I like to compare REPO! TGO to Alice in Wonderland, mainly cause I see the Graverobber in a Cherise Cat role but that's just me.

Actually, that's a good comparison. I agree on the music being awesome too, but The Graverobber truly is an awesome character, and as you pointed out, a good sort of "not really that important but incredibly entertaining trickster" role. Also, because of him, Paris Hilton's face falls off.

THANKS, TERRANCE!

Dear MovieBob,
I love your show, but what's with no respect for "Repo! The Genetic Opera"? It was one of my favorite movies of that year. Also, way to bring the pain back, "Warriors Of Virtue", I thought I had successfully repressed that!

Anyways, damn good show, as usual!

I take it that the last bit was a reference to Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal skull?

So bob have u seen the posters for the Wall Street remake yet with Shia le Bouf? dont worry they will be redoing BttF soon enough.

Eukaryote:
Jiggawho?

gigalo?

At least he mentioned Repo!. Even though it was a veiled "It sucked", it still got credit.
Woo.

SerpentofSet:

blakfayt:
Is it possible to lose the respect of a reviewer after one review? Yes, I must say that you have lost a fan Movie bob, you picked me up when you said you hated halo, you lost me when you recommended this movie. Also the problem with Repomen was that the fucking idea was stolen from Repo the genetic opera, it was THE SAME FUCKING CONCEPT WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS. *sigh* farewell movie bob, with this the escapist is one step closer to being dead to me.

*ahem*

http://www.cracked.com/funny-2724-trolls/

Second one from the top.

Now if you had bothered to read my profile you would know that YES, I'M A FUCKING CRITIC, IT IS RIGHT THERE IN MY DESCRIPTION! Freelance critic (albeit game critic, but a critic none the less) next time you want to insult someone, do your damn homework.

Onyx Oblivion:
I might go see it, unless its a comedy in the style of stuff like Superbad, 40 year old Virgin, and Knocked Up.

I HATE THOSE MOVIES WITH A PASSION.

I do as well, I didn't laugh once watching any of those movies.

OP: I might see this if I get the chance, I was pleasantly suprised by The Hangover (Which I thought was going to be incredibly stupid, luckily I was wrong) so I've been optimistic about comedy movies coming out lately.

I like how you act like Cop out never happens.

That's too true. A Back to the Future movie now would more than likely be terrible. I'd like to think that we're creative enough to make another one, but I should know better.
It's just... A little sad actually.

Eukaryote:
Jiggawho?

Damn. Ninja'd.

Don't mean I can't say it though! JIGGAWHO?

McShizzle:
I've never seen Mulholland Drive, just heard of it. Bob's convinced me to go give it a rent.

In case you didn't know I'm just pointing out (as a fan) that it's a David Lynch movie. If you're at all familiar with Lynch, you have an idea if you'll dig it or not. Again, as a Lynch fan I think it's one of the best things he's ever done, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

If you're not familiar with this stuff, it tends to be tremendously surreal.

Onyx Oblivion:
I might go see it, unless its a comedy in the style of stuff like Superbad, 40 year old Virgin, and Knocked Up.

I HATE THOSE MOVIES WITH A PASSION.

Bob killed it for me when he brought up Something About Mary in the review. Once he flashed the movie poster my brain short circuited. I don't know if he said it was similair or he thought Something about Mary was funny, it all goes black after the poster. But my mind immediatly went to 40 year old virgin and the like.. no thanks on the frat boy comedy. Dur Hur Hur Penis.

Vrex360:
Repo! admittedly did not come up with it first, that was a movie called Brazil I think...

I actually just wanted to point out one small thing, Repo! didn't really take any elements from Brazil. Repo Men actually takes a major plot point from Brazil however. I won't give it away because it's a twist in both movies (and if you're familiar with one and have yet to see the other, I do apologize, because you already probably know what I'm talking about).

Just pointing out that Repo Men actually ripped off two movies. Ha! No seriously though, I do believe that while the central premise (and name) of both movies are similar, things sort of head in two very different directions (even putting aside the one being a musical and the other not thing). Plus I AM pretty sure I've seen the idea of repo men reposessing body organs before, it seems to be a pretty popular trope in horror. Obvious reason being the fears and anxieties we have over a world where it progressively seems like we don't really 'own' any part of our lives anymore.

I'm just going to say that you should all forget about either of these movies and go watch the 1984 punk cult classic Repo Man with a young Emilio Estivez. Has nothing to do with reposessing organs, but it's still fantastic.

Cosplay Horatio:
At least it's not as bad as Chris Evans being cast as Cap'n America for the movie series...oh wait...didn't he also play the role of The Human Torch in the Fantastic Four films?

Personally, I've got no real issue with Evans as Cap. He's far and away the best of the guys they were otherwise looking at (Ryan Philipe, John Krasinski, Mike Vogel and Channing Tatum) and since A.) There aren't going to be anymore of those god-awful FF movies and B.) They were made by a different studio and won't be "connected" to the other Marvel properties at all, I can deal with the dissonance.

Why won't they cast Nathan Fillion?! It's an injustice I tell you.

Because he's too old for it, or at least looks it. They're casting for someone who can play 20-something guy who's not "army material yet" in the first one AND the costumed role for a decade or so of sequels and crossovers. Plus, Fillion has a hit TV show he's probably not keen to walk away from.

Look, I understand, my generation went through a "such-and-such-oldschool-looking-hero-actor should play EVERY genre role!!!!" thing with Bruce Campbell; so lemme save you some time: Nathan Fillion is probably NEVER going to play a franchise superhero character, save for some voicework he already did.

SerpentofSet:

blakfayt:

*ahem*

Second one from the top.

awesome

A Back to the Future remake... *shudders*. I actually never thought about it before, but I would have to slit my wrists if they made that.

SerpentofSet:

blakfayt:

*ahem*

Second one from the top.

Flawless victory

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist: