Escape to the Movies: Hot Tub Time Machine

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Bob is growing on me.
not saying why he liked the movie other than its funny - I can respect that.

I get that comedy movies are hard to review...at least good ones anyway.

That said, why base your episode on this. Why not make Hot Tub Time Machine an aside on another review ("Oh by the way, that movie with the hot tub? Funny as hell, go see it") Then spend the rest of the episode on another, more debatable movie.

Oh and I didn't know there *were* rabid fans of "Warriors of Virtue". I remember watching that movie and thinking it was nothing remarkable.

AgentNein:

McShizzle:
I've never seen Mulholland Drive, just heard of it. Bob's convinced me to go give it a rent.

In case you didn't know I'm just pointing out (as a fan) that it's a David Lynch movie. If you're at all familiar with Lynch, you have an idea if you'll dig it or not. Again, as a Lynch fan I think it's one of the best things he's ever done, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

If you're not familiar with this stuff, it tends to be tremendously surreal.

I've seen Blue Velvet, it was pretty cool (and strange) and I f-ing love Twin Peaks so I think it oughta be ok.

I really do hope there isn't another Back to the future film.

I'll think I will go mad if Shia Labeouf is in it and he's in Wall Street 2, I mean come on! I've got such a bad feeling of that film because he's in it!

BTW Movie Bob keep up the great work!

Back to the Future IV would be a guaranteed bomb. It would fill even the most moderate Fanboy with inconsolable Nerd Rage. You hear that Hollywood? I know you have a chronic illness that forces you to remake or stretch any popular series in history but STAY AWAY FROM THIS ONE!

Also, I think you've sold me on this new movie. Nice Review Moviebob.

Props for Peri, the Sixth Doctor and the Dalek! :)

But...

Tell me Bob, when we're forgiving George Lucas, are you going to be forgiving Michael Bay's Back Four The Future?

No?

Well...you can understand our Lucas-hate then :)

You give the remake crowd WAY more credit than they deserve, MovieBob.

Christopher Lloyd wouldn't even appear AS Doc Brown. More likely they'd stick him in some cheesy wink-at-the-camera cameo role like they do with every other bad remake made in the history of the written word.

I will definitely rent this (forget throwing money away at theaters) because my inner 80s child wants to see how accurate this is XD

A) I'm 20 and I think the "Jigga" concept is moronic. And I love Back to the Future. And no, they should never make another, or a remake or anything like that. And we should cut the conversation here before a movie exec hears us.

B) 90% of the people who brought up Repo! have not seen it, and I'll explain why. (For the record, I've seen it, was fairly amused, thought it was the best thing to involve Paris Hilton clothed since she took the spear to the eye in House of Wax, and didn't care enough or think it was good enough to bring it up). People like to feel they're connected to cultures and impress people with their knowledge of cultures, that they're not really connected to. Hence they bring up obscure movies in conversation to make people think that they watch obscure films when they don't.
I've seen Repo! but that's not that impressive for me. I'm a filmmaker in training (no, I'm not being a pretentious dick, I'm studying as a film major in college) and hence, the best way to learn how to make movies is to...well watch them. Hence I watch a LOT of movies that are far more obscure than Repo! So most of the people who brought up Repo! didn't watch it, they just wanted you and the forum to think they had an be impressed that they'd seen it.

C) Just saw Chloe a few hours, it was...pretty good. Not as good as Mulholland Drive, or however you spell that. Side note, between this and Jennifer's Body, Amanda Seyfried seems to spend a lot of time making out with other lasses. Hm.

Gee Bob, what a smartass attitude about Repo! The Genetic Opera. It wasn't 'incidental' similarities, it was an almost complete ripoff, just minus the rock opera.

And yes, people who watched it DID enjoy it, just not many watched it, jackass.

All that said, I figured Hot Tub Time Machine would be good, I love Cusack and he really doesn't disappoint in the movies I have seen him in.

Elesar:
B) 90% of the people who brought up Repo! have not seen it, and I'll explain why. (For the record, I've seen it, was fairly amused, thought it was the best thing to involve Paris Hilton clothed since she took the spear to the eye in House of Wax, and didn't care enough or think it was good enough to bring it up). People like to feel they're connected to cultures and impress people with their knowledge of cultures, that they're not really connected to. Hence they bring up obscure movies in conversation to make people think that they watch obscure films when they don't.
I've seen Repo! but that's not that impressive for me. I'm a filmmaker in training (no, I'm not being a pretentious dick, I'm studying as a film major in college) and hence, the best way to learn how to make movies is to...well watch them. Hence I watch a LOT of movies that are far more obscure than Repo! So most of the people who brought up Repo! didn't watch it, they just wanted you and the forum to think they had an be impressed that they'd seen it.

Seeing as I can only speak for myself, you may be correct. Nonetheless, while you have given a possible motive, you have not explained how you came to this conclusion. You said yourself, there are "a LOT of movies that are far more obscure then Repo!."

Also, might I ask why Repo!'s obscurity should impress people?

P.S. While you might not have intended to be a pretentious dick, you certainly came across that way.

blakfayt:
Is it possible to lose the respect of a reviewer after one review? Yes, I must say that you have lost a fan Movie bob, you picked me up when you said you hated halo, you lost me when you recommended this movie. Also the problem with Repomen was that the fucking idea was stolen from Repo the genetic opera, it was THE SAME FUCKING CONCEPT WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS. *sigh* farewell movie bob, with this the escapist is one step closer to being dead to me.

yes it is a shame he dislikes Repo! glad I'm not the only one still pissed abot that well movie bob this will probly be the last review of yours I watch your very funny but I cant stand lisning to someone talk for five minutes when all ill be thinking is this guy insulted Repo! i'll admite the acting left something to be desired and Pamela Anderson was a turnoff I still would hardly call it third rate and frankly I no longer trust your judgement
sincerely a disappointed fan

Onyx Oblivion:
I might go see it, unless its a comedy in the style of stuff like Superbad, 40 year old Virgin, and Knocked Up.

I HATE THOSE MOVIES WITH A PASSION.

Dude I just saw this movie with some of my friends and the whole theater had a blast watching it. Trust me its not like the movies you listed above.

Marik2:

Onyx Oblivion:
I might go see it, unless its a comedy in the style of stuff like Superbad, 40 year old Virgin, and Knocked Up.

Dude I just saw this movie with some of my friends and the whole theater had a blast watching it. Trust me its not like the movies you listed above.

Sweet. I'll see it then! Thanks.

i love the tidbit that Bob threw in there about SO many people have seen repo and liked it. The reason why it was done so well it because...it WAS a B movie. It wasnt something hyped up and made overly hollywood for the simple fact because it COULD, it was a soul product of Darren Smith and Terrance Zdunich. And it was DAMN GOOD for what it was. Sure not all of us are the biggest fans of rock opera, but who cares. When you got a cast like: Alexa Vega
Paul Sorvino
Anthony Stewart Head
Sarah Brightman
Paris Hilton
and Ogre from skinny puppy, who are not only a strong musical cast, but a damn homicidal cast as well.

They keep the story going, interesting, and just hella good to look at. Not to mention most of the clothing is from Paris Hiltons own wardrobe, which makes you think "where the hell does she buy her outfits from".

I mean where can you go see a movie where they rip out someones own spine, while not only talking to his daughter on a holographic watch communicator, but also SINGING.

meh the movie looks alright like if it is on tv I won't change the channel but I wouldn't go out to see it.

Onyx Oblivion:

Marik2:

Onyx Oblivion:

do u like anchorman

mchoueiri:

Onyx Oblivion:

Marik2:

Onyx Oblivion:

do u like anchorman

an odd question, but on the whole, yes.

Why Colin Baker?

Why not another Doctor?

the title of the movie alone screams no plot and retarded!

blakfayt:
Is it possible to lose the respect of a reviewer after one review? Yes, I must say that you have lost a fan Movie bob, you picked me up when you said you hated halo, you lost me when you recommended this movie. Also the problem with Repomen was that the fucking idea was stolen from Repo the genetic opera, it was THE SAME FUCKING CONCEPT WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS. *sigh* farewell movie bob, with this the escapist is one step closer to being dead to me.

...RTGO was boring as all hell, it blows my mind, like movie bob, that people actually enjoyed it, and losing a reliable source of movie information over something as lame as this, is well - idiotic, dude.

this wasn't his best episode, but what he was saying wasn't blasphemous, so don't lose him over this man.

Nobody here thinks there's anything wrong with this review? I mean, there's lots he could say, for instance comparing the style of comedy to other movies or mentally preparing us for one or two parts that we might not find as funny without forewarning. I don't know, I'm not the one whose job depends on having something to talk about.

I'm just saying that I wasn't enamoured with MovieBob when it started, and I don't think the quality has gone up with time. This one was simply the 'shark jumping' moment, when I realized he's just wasting time in his reviews and trying to make a joke of his ineptitude. I'm not so attached to the show that my heart is breaking or I feel utterly betrayed or anything, I've just lost interest.

Thanks, Bob!
I agree on what you said about Amanda Seyfried.
I guess I can't expect for a lot of comedy to be reviewed in your show unless it sucks.

Sorry Bob, but this was a truly terrible review for you. You spent a minute ripping on how everyone, but you, stated the obvious in how Repo Men "borrowed"(to put it nicely) heavily from REPO!. You spent the next minute complaining about how you couldn't do your job with regards to this film. And the rest was just... rambling. You could have taken everything you said in this review and had a much more coherent dialog on your blog or in your article(though what you wrote about was fine). Not your best work by far, but I eagerly await your next review.

antigodoflife:

blakfayt:

...RTGO was boring as all hell, it blows my mind, like movie bob, that people actually enjoyed it, and losing a reliable source of movie information over something as lame as this, is well - idiotic, dude.

this wasn't his best episode, but what he was saying wasn't blasphemous, so don't lose him over this man.

Repo! was for specific people, the music was GREAT, the idea of a knife wielding, leather clad, surgeon assassin was inspired, and repomen was what they were called. Repomen:the movie, was a bland action ripoff that fits in with the same scifi plot of several movies, it was like someone couldn't make up their damn mind. For an action film it was good, but I don't like action movies.

Pretty lazy Bob. You could have atleast went into what type of humour the movie does and how its compares (or is funnier) to all of the other (bad) comedies we've been getting over the years. There are a few ways you could have described this without spoiling it.

Anything would have been better "Its really funny" followed by "Uh..." For 3 mins. Then going off topic.

Sorry to do this but there was a hot tub used for time travel in Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law the episode is titled Beyond the Valley of the Dinosaurs the hot tub is literally the only carry over.
Sorry...

easy evil:
I find comedy like that really awkward.

It's one of those "love it or hate it" things, but I'm the same way. That sort of comedy is forced and based on cheap laughs. A popcorn movie that's a waste of ticket price. Just revisit an old favourite and save the money.

For a review, there wasn't much meat to it. More just "it's funny, go see it. No I can't explain why it's funny" fluff that reeks of a lazy review. If we don't like the big comedies of the last five years, what does it do differently? Is there anything remotely interesting in it?

Ummm yeah, Repo! is not taht obscure and Repo Men's plot is not similar they stole teh fucking idea I read the name and thought no they reamade it already? then i saw trailers and synopsises and realized they didn't take the rough plot they stole key plot points from teh other movie! If Repo men had songs in it I would call it a blatant rip off.

Onyx Oblivion:

You and me both.

OT: Beautiful sarcasm, Bob.

McShizzle:

AgentNein:

McShizzle:
I've never seen Mulholland Drive, just heard of it. Bob's convinced me to go give it a rent.

In case you didn't know I'm just pointing out (as a fan) that it's a David Lynch movie. If you're at all familiar with Lynch, you have an idea if you'll dig it or not. Again, as a Lynch fan I think it's one of the best things he's ever done, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

If you're not familiar with this stuff, it tends to be tremendously surreal.

I've seen Blue Velvet, it was pretty cool (and strange) and I f-ing love Twin Peaks so I think it oughta be ok.

Cool. Also, while we're at it, I recommend finding a copy of Eraserhead, which was his first full movie. One of my favorites.

I dont care,
go see Hot Tub Time Machine! Its funny as fuck

Repo and Repo have more than a passing similarity.
And moviebob is a giant dick.
Seriously.

Also, his definition of a "good comedy" is kindof stupid. I mean, I haven't seen this movie yet, but he seems to believe that a "good comedy" doesn't need any real plot.

Also, the bit at the end was not remotely funny. Yes, it was just filler, but if you can't review a movie then don't review the movie.

they really arent letting the whole repo thing go away, right bob (guilty as charged i was one of the ramblers) and is not that you should based the entire review on the riping off part is that, yo should at least mention it (like you did whit avatar, and this one altough it was sarcastic and just to nag at us for nagging at you whit repo) so do your homework next time, and dont be to amazed that a lot people like repo, i assure that an even bigger amount of people is gonna be even more amazed that you like Equilibrium (i get you, i love it too, my all time sci-fi favorite is Dark City by Alex Proyas, also a obscure little known movie but whit a small base of rabid fans like myself, and it seems that most movies that are at least a bit original and different have this little cult followers for good measure)

and the most important part of my post... I WANT THAT MARIO 3 INBOX!!!!

I honestly think this is the funniest review youve done in a while, well done.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here