Escape to the Movies: Hot Tub Time Machine

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

doctorwhofan:
Why Colin Baker?

Why not another Doctor?

Aw, give Colin some slack, he had some bad scripts to work with and his audio stuff is terrific.

Wait wait wait wait WAAAAAAAIT a minute!

Bob, I like ya and all, but c'mon!

You write an finger wagging article about how star wars fans need to just get over themselves and forgive george lucas despite him "not doing anything wrong", and to get off his back over things like making greedo shoot first in a horrible bit of editing....

...buuuuut you go nuts and joke about being before a judge for doing horrible things after seeing something similarly offensive to a true Back To The Future fan in similar fashion to how the Star Wars fans rage about how there should have never been new Star Wars movies? (or at least none allowing Lucas to have complete unquestioned creative freedom)

Is the pot calling the kettle black here? XD

Sooooo can someone tell me does he spoil it? I just watched a minute in before he says "It's hard to talk about a good comedy movie"

What? They gonna make another Back to the future movie?

"Jigga whooooo" LOL. So true, Shia ruined Transformers, he will ruin Back to the future.

Sigh. Is it possible that some of you could get it into your skulls that someone having an opinion that differs from your own is not a mark against their credibility? Seriously.

Good job movie bob, you've piqued my interest.

What about those of us who sat bored at There's Something About Mary wondering what the appeal was? I take it you are implying that they use shock humor. But nothing a Hollywood comedy does these days would ever shock me - unless it actually had an intelligent story. If you praised it as "clever" then I might be curious, but "it's funny and I can't tell you why" is as good as a Warning sign for me.

Which is fine, I guess. You're right on BttF of course.

k, let me just say, I thought this movie was going to suck. really really badly. I wasn't really thrilled that my friends dragged me to it.

But I ended up really liking it. it was really, really funny. the last movie that made me laugh so hard was hot rod

as someone fast approaching the ripe old age of nineteen I have too inform you of my opi... JIGGA WHO?

Oh yeah great review mister moviebob, I've been getting more and more into the series ever since your new moon review and you continue to entertain.

Sorry to butt in, but I need to get something off my chest here. I've seen "artsy" movies. Many of them. And REPO! is not artsy. Nor is it good as a musical, since 75% of the cast cannot hold a tune to save their life. REPO! is a godawful mass of putrefying pimple-pus, whom emo-kawai airheads prancing about with their pseudo-knowledge hold above their heads acclaiming it as the purest piece of cinematographic perfection to have ever graced us mortals with its presence.

No, that movie isn't even funny as a farce, and whomever said that a latex covered stalker-surgeon is the new wave of cool should go find the nearest railing and proceed to eviscerate themselves upon it. The music from that movie still haunts me to this day and drives me towards insanity, where it is my fervent hope I will dress up as said surgeon and proceed to remove the internal organs of all those who remotely enjoyed said Genetic Opera in a karmic twist of fate.

Any movie ATTEMPTING to use the same premise and being semi-successful should be awarded something by the academy and possibly by the Nobel committee. I cannot stress how bad said Genetic Opera is, and how I would burn every single synapse linked to that memory if I could. People who like that movie are the kind of people who could tell you that a hamburger is a piece of culinary perfection, or any such kinds of mind-blowing stupidity.

I write this, not in an attempt to create havoc (although I probably did), or to give the clearly foolish blind and half-deaf beings who glorify said movie a /clue/, I write this for the normal people as a warning not to taint their minds with that movie, and to moviebob because I think he needs to know that there are people who do agree with him on REPO!. Oh and I'm writing this for myself, in an attempt to exorcise my own demons spawned by this (REPO!) dehydrated turd of a movie.

Concerning those who will no doubt castigate my opinion of that hateful crime against art, I can only hope that at the end of your lives, you look back upon your opinion of said movie, and weep at your foolishness.

The theater was in absolute hysterics when I saw it, I missed a few lines because of it. It was really funny and not as predictable as you'd expect.

JohanGasMask:
What? They gonna make another Back to the future movie?

I thought they scrapped the idea, but yes there was going to be a part 4 where they rebuilt the Delorean.

Hmm... I wish to know more about this Chloe film...

Oh, and just for kicks;

"Zydrate comes in a little glass vial..."

Incidental... 3rd rate... Seriously bob. I have lost pretty much all my respect for you as a reviewer. Yes, you are allowed to like different things but you go and rag on Repo! The Genetic Opera which is pretty fucking awesome yet review the most generic, fucking boring movies around and like them.
Repomen is not incidental. It is a exact rip off. If you did any sort of research you would know that there was almost a damn law suit over this shit when Repomen got announced.
Oh and btw, who cares you do not like Repo. You loved Drag Me To Hell which is one of the worst godawful movies ever.
It was a pile of crap that just tried to cash in on everyones love of Evil Dead. I watched it with my girlfriend who had never seen Evil Dead and she thought it was just a cheesy crap movie. I love Evil Dead and hated it even more for shamelessly rubbing Evil Dead jokes in our faces every 5 minutes.

Loop Stricken:

"Zydrate comes in a little glass vial..."

"A little glass vial?"

I loved Warriors of Virtue...

Onyx Oblivion:
I might go see it, unless its a comedy in the style of stuff like Superbad, 40 year old Virgin, and Knocked Up.

I HATE THOSE MOVIES WITH A PASSION.

SAME HERE !

RestamSalucard:

Seeing as I can only speak for myself, you may be correct. Nonetheless, while you have given a possible motive, you have not explained how you came to this conclusion. You said yourself, there are "a LOT of movies that are far more obscure then Repo!."

Also, might I ask why Repo!'s obscurity should impress people?

P.S. While you might not have intended to be a pretentious dick, you certainly came across that way.

As I said, it's simply an attempt to appear you watch obscure movies by name checking an obvious comparison. It's not that impressive, but if said people actually watched obscure movies, they'd know that.

And while I wasn't intending to come across as a pretentious dick... well I am something of a pretentious dick.

I wish people would form their own opinions about movies and games, but I went into Hot Tub Time Machine expecting a mediocre movie and it was actually really funny, highly recommend it.

Ben Legend:
Hot... Tub... Time... Machine?
Who the heck thinks up these names?

It's exactly what it says on the cover

I'm waiting for the sequel.

Ice Cream Matter Transporter.

I didn't really think that the "Hair Gel" gag in Everybody Loves Mary was that funny...

Here I am, bored on a Sunday, and the thought occurs to me to check out Escapist to see if anything new has come up and, neat! A new review from Movie Bob. However, when I actually start watching, I get smacked in the face by a tsunami of butthurt from him regarding Repo!TGO and RepoMen from last week's review.

Yes, Movie Bob. People know Repo! and like it - love it, even. You might not be a fan of the musical genre, but just because you don't get something doesn't lower the chances of anyone ELSE finding it interesting or exciting.

For example, I thought Drag Me to Hell was a completely unnecessary series of gross-out gags better left to the 10-year-olds and you're talking about it as though it's fucking Taxi Driver. Not to mention Hot Tub Time Machine. I mean, really? REALLY? You're pushing *this* piece of wannabe Superbad/Something About Mary/40 Year Old Virgin hackneyed 'comedy' garbage as something worth spending $8 plus $20 for popcorn on? People don't know what proper comedy is anymore. Comedy is not fart/shit/piss/puke/jizz in the hair jokes. That's comedy if you're 5. Comedy for proper adults is something else altogether different. Comedy is not about 'bits' and 'gags' - it's Adam Sandler and Jack Black and other dipshits like them that ruined comedy and turned it into cheap, easily-forgotten tripe to amuse the ADD-addled generation who can't sit still without something exploding -- or somebody having explosive diarrhea. "Comedy" in US movies these days is not comedy. It's Itchy and Scratchy for retard frat boys or those who have the maturity of retard frat boys.

I actually did enjoy your reviews, but after this, I give up. Sure, something might not be to your taste, but a reviewer with some class would just chalk it up to 'it's not my cup of tea' and leave it at that, rather than take up half a review (for what is more than likely a completely mediocre piece of shit, btw - oh, the irony) insulting Repo fans and the people who created the movie and just shrugging your shoulders at out and out, boldfaced plagiarism. So, yeah. Fuck that. I wish you Shia LeBouff in every single summer action flick this year -- in *every* movie this year, regardless of whether it's an action movie or not. Douche.

"A little glass vial!"

I came on the site today hoping to decide whether to see "Hot Tub Time" machine and left really wanting to watch "Mulholland Drive" again. Naomi Watts and Laura Harring; hell yeah.

XD If not for the fact that it's a ridiculously awesome movie (no matter what anyone says) I'm glad this many of us bitched about Genetic Opera being cooler last time JUST because it spawned that intro.

Perhaps that third 'really' will persuade me to see this at some point.

I may have nightmares of them remaking Back to the Future now.
Way to go.

"And the little glass vial goes into the gun like a battery"

wow nice video this is the first one ive seen really cool

Three things:

1. Hot Tub Time Machine is fucking hilarious. Just saw it a few hours ago, and it is absolutely as funny as Movie Bob makes it out to be. The only people who won't find this funny are the same people who think Rushmore is the greatest comedy of all time.

2. Movie Bob sometimes doesn't like great movies. So what? We all have a movie we hate that is otherwise a solid piece of film making. I hate most of the James Bond movies, and there are people who would crucify me for saying that in public. The point is there's no accounting for taste. If something just seems bad to you because it doesn't appeal to you, doesn't make you an idiot or a philistine.

3. Repomen rips off the following from Repo!, and nothing else: It's the future; a megacorp makes replacement organs; megacorp gets super rich; megacorp repossesses replacement organs if you can't pay. Similarities over. Repo! was an amazing goth rock-opera tragedy, and Repomen is a high-action "bad guy repents becomes hero" movie. How does this make these the same movie?

Quiet Stranger:
Sooooo can someone tell me does he spoil it? I just watched a minute in before he says "It's hard to talk about a good comedy movie"

No, he doesn't spoil it. But he doesn't review it, either. He boils it down to "if you like There's Something About Mary, you'll like this" and that's about it. No indication of why it should be liked, or whether or not it's interesting if you don't like current comedies, but he doesn't give away any of the jokes, plot, or characters.

Like, seriously, he doesn't. He skims the premise and then said that it was "really, really, really funny."

MovieBob:

Cosplay Horatio:
At least it's not as bad as Chris Evans being cast as Cap'n America for the movie series...oh wait...didn't he also play the role of The Human Torch in the Fantastic Four films?

Personally, I've got no real issue with Evans as Cap. He's far and away the best of the guys they were otherwise looking at (Ryan Philipe, John Krasinski, Mike Vogel and Channing Tatum) and since A.) There aren't going to be anymore of those god-awful FF movies and B.) They were made by a different studio and won't be "connected" to the other Marvel properties at all, I can deal with the dissonance.

Why won't they cast Nathan Fillion?! It's an injustice I tell you.

Because he's too old for it, or at least looks it. They're casting for someone who can play 20-something guy who's not "army material yet" in the first one AND the costumed role for a decade or so of sequels and crossovers. Plus, Fillion has a hit TV show he's probably not keen to walk away from.

Look, I understand, my generation went through a "such-and-such-oldschool-looking-hero-actor should play EVERY genre role!!!!" thing with Bruce Campbell; so lemme save you some time: Nathan Fillion is probably NEVER going to play a franchise superhero character, save for some voicework he already did.

Few days after my rant, I apologize by the way, I've been warming up to him and I'm glad that Chris is going to be Cap. Even before my rant I've always said whoever gets to be Cap'n America will be the most popular of all the comic book characters that made it to the silver screen but we still have to wait to see your review and the movie itself.

As far as Nathan Fillion, and again I apologize, I understand now and thanks for replying.

Funniest bit of the whole review was the Back to the Future segment and the cinema being blown up.

LoL at all the people who see that moviebob's opinion differs from theirs that automatically think he loses all credibility. Seriously, no one cares what you think.

Reviewers review movies for everyone in an attempt to explain why or why not most people might like or dislike a movie, a reviewer does NOT need to think the same as you. Not that your opinion is gospel anyway. If you need a reviewer to agree with everything you do just so you can nod your head and pretend to be thinking important thoughts, you need a higher self esteem or something.

I didn't very much like this movie myself, but eh the humor used here isn't my thing. Another good video regardless.

You know what's irritating about Movie Bob's analogy of Repo! to Warriors of Virtue? The fact that the only thing that Hot Tub Time Machine has in common with Warriors of Virtue is that there is a whirlpool vortex, while Repo Men is a shameless rip off of Repo!, save for the fact that it has a bigger budget and is not a musical.

Did I like Repo the Genetic Opera? Yeah, sure it was fun. I'm not a die hard fan or anything, but I enjoyed it. I just think Movie Bob needs to get his head out of his ass a bit on this one. I really don't care he didn't like it, but comparing a rehash (because Repo! became oddly successful, a mainstream remake was inevitable) to a slight similarity seems both ignorant and snobbish.

The truth is, if the production company, Liongate, didn't fight against Repo! as much as it did, this would mostly be a non issue, but I can't shake the feeling that some corporate money grabber noticed that Repo!, despite it's cripplingly small publicity, did fairly well, and decided to repackage it into a more approachable, mainstream version. Now, this is all speculation, but it kind of makes sense, doesn't it?

As a side note, I think it's kind of amusing that he mentions Equilibrium, which is also a little known movie with a cult following that didn't get the publicity it deserved. Just a thought.

mchoueiri:
meh the movie looks alright like if it is on tv I won't change the channel but I wouldn't go out to see it.

I have to agree with the idea that this doesn't look like it really needs the big screen to get full enjoyment out of it. I might borrow someone's copy or even rent one, but I'm not going to pay inflated theater prices for no reason.

Not sure...but I'll keep an open mind about it.

Great BK 2V Future Shire la Booth.
I might see this movie anyways. And thanks for the heads up on that "other" one.

MovieBob:

Cosplay Horatio:
At least it's not as bad as Chris Evans being cast as Cap'n America for the movie series...oh wait...didn't he also play the role of The Human Torch in the Fantastic Four films?

Personally, I've got no real issue with Evans as Cap. He's far and away the best of the guys they were otherwise looking at (Ryan Philipe, John Krasinski, Mike Vogel and Channing Tatum) and since A.) There aren't going to be anymore of those god-awful FF movies and B.) They were made by a different studio and won't be "connected" to the other Marvel properties at all, I can deal with the dissonance.

Why won't they cast Nathan Fillion?! It's an injustice I tell you.

Because he's too old for it, or at least looks it. They're casting for someone who can play 20-something guy who's not "army material yet" in the first one AND the costumed role for a decade or so of sequels and crossovers. Plus, Fillion has a hit TV show he's probably not keen to walk away from.

Look, I understand, my generation went through a "such-and-such-oldschool-looking-hero-actor should play EVERY genre role!!!!" thing with Bruce Campbell; so lemme save you some time: Nathan Fillion is probably NEVER going to play a franchise superhero character, save for some voicework he already did.

Well personally in my opinion Evans won't be able to handle the role as Cap.
OK maybe I am being too negative about this but think about it for a sec, wouldn't it be perfect if they cast someone who actually understands what Captain America is all about ?
Yeah...I gotta stop dreamin...But anyway I am more interested in the Green Lantern movie :)
Oh and about the new Spider-Man movie...I want to ask you good escapist people what do you think of the whole thing ? When I heard that it would have a new story I was kinda interested about the whole ting :) Here are the opinions of James Franco (Harry Osborn) and Kirsten Dunst (Mary Jane Watson) about the new Spider-Man :)

What do James Franco and Kirsten Dunst, who played Harry Osborn and Mary Jane Watson in Sam Raimi's Spidey trilogy, think about the Spider-Man reboot?

Talking to E! Online, Franco says that he doesn't have a problem with it. "It worked out well for Batman, and comics themselves have different artists and writers. I think it's perfectly fine."

He did add, however, that he thinks "for the viewers you want a little space [between Raimi's and Webb's flicks], so you can get everyone else out of your head."

Dunst said it is "sad to see it end. I think for Sam it was time for him to move on, and so we're all going to move on with him. But we've had a good 10 years."

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here