The Escapist Presents: Pokewalking with The Escapist

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Pokewalking with The Escapist

John Funk takes a look at how to beat the system and cheat the step-counting Pokewalker.

Watch Video

I was going to tell you guys you should be ashamed for this but I can't seem to stop laughing long enough to put any concerted effort into it.

God, they made it so hard to cheat at that thing. Just sitting and shaking it only works once in a blue moon.

I think the restless leg test might have been compromised. As I recall, these devices are easiest to cheat in a vertical orientation, so attaching it to the ankle rather than the top of the foot might have different results.

I remember when digimon was the thing, you'd just shake it in your hand while watching tv or something. I'm surprised that, that wasn't tested.

Is that really how you pronounce Gyarados?

Meh. I liked his original name better anyway.

Ummm... You can't evolve a Pokemon in the Pokewalker >.>;; I've tried it. It can't learn any moves, either. That can only be done in-game.

sonic232:
Ummm... You can't evolve a Pokemon in the Pokewalker >.>;; I've tried it. It can't learn any moves, either. That can only be done in-game.

I know. I still have a Gyarados now :P

sonic232:

Welcome to the Escapist!

OT: I call BS on the leg, the way i do it is use the clip, slide it onto the top of my sock (Near the toes, im guessing thats the bottom, but whatever) and have at it, ive gotten a hell of a lot of steps from that, enought to screw around catching pokemon in it and have enough left over to unlock more parks up to 2000W. (I forget which one that is at the moment.)

Love this man, I hope you do more of this pseudo-science stuff. How awesome would that be?

I require more Jasper! (the dog)

Well, that is useful, I guess.
But, if I were ever to play Pokemon, it still takes me 20 minutes to get to school and I don't have a car.

Me, out loud, at the two minute mark:

"TAPE IT TO JORDAN DEAM!"

Then at three and a half minutes, you actually did.

I laughed.

John, they should pay you for this or something.

Too bad I can't drive so I don't have a car.

Would attaching it to the spokes on a bike do much?

When I was doing a lot of model cars I made a paint shakers from some old kinex set. It probably would have worked well for your cheat since it wouldn't have been strong enough to actually damage it.

You also said no dryer but if it was one of those older ones that shake a lot, you wouldn't need to put it inside but tape it on top.

i lol'd.
If you live near a theme park, just tape it to a rollacoaster.
OR
To go to the extreme, tape it to a trains wheel level.

Rock! IT'S THE WAY TO VICTORY!
And you know it :D

Well that was interesting, I have a dog that likes to walk a lot... hey Aussy (my dog), lets play!!!

It seems like it would be much easier to walk with it...

DarkGargoyle:
I think the restless leg test might have been compromised. As I recall, these devices are easiest to cheat in a vertical orientation, so attaching it to the ankle rather than the top of the foot might have different results.

I'd wager a guess that the pedometer in the Pokewalker is little more than a freely swinging switch. Most simple pedometers operate on this principle, and as such require the contact be maintained for a brief time to log the step.

Meaning, restless leg more likely failed because it was too fast. It would be the same for the mechanical paint can shaker.

LittleRena:
Too bad I can't drive so I don't have a car.

Would attaching it to the spokes on a bike do much?

Nope. Pedometers generally measure rapid changes in acceleration. When your foot hits the ground, the pedometer accelerates rapidly in the opposite direction it was traveling. The electronics measure the spike and add to the counter. If you attached it to anything that rotates at relatively constant speed in the same direction, you would only get steps when you went over large bumps, or if you changed gears a lot.

Try taping it onto a fan or a power drill!

haha ... I see a new job for WOW gold farmers ...

Bah, just get some exercise.
You might lose some weight you know

zauxz:

I read that a ceiling fan would work nicely...just make sure it's on the nice and snug.

OH I'm showing this to my lil sis when she gets home from school, we have a dog and it always wants to play.

Tales of Golden Sun:

This wasn't meant to be taken seriously, you know. :P I bring the Pokewalker with me when I go work out every night.

Melancholy_Ocelot:

zauxz:

I read that a ceiling fan would work nicely...just make sure it's on the nice and snug.

I would think the movement of the fan would be far too smooth. There has to be a back-and-forth-ness to the movement in order for it to register.

Thats awesome, lol...I loved the Jordan Dean trick XD "Trust us, he wont mind!"

Heh, Ill need to share this with a feew friends who have it =D

John Funk:

Tales of Golden Sun:

This wasn't meant to be taken seriously, you know. :P I bring the Pokewalker with me when I go work out every night.

I...
I knew that.

Is the pokewalker totally replacing the day-care in the game or is it just an extra?

Tales of Golden Sun:

John Funk:

Tales of Golden Sun:

I...
I knew that.

Is the pokewalker totally replacing the day-care in the game or is it just an extra?

Nope! The day care's still there. How else would you breed your 'mons?

Through the process of accidental experimentation, the washer dryer method does not destroy the pokewalker (Nintendo must have though about people like me), and gave me about 540-ish steps in over the process of a few hours.

John Funk:

Tales of Golden Sun:

Nope! The day care's still there. How else would you breed your 'mons?

A clean motel and Marvin Gaye? Aah, I'm kidding, I'm kidding, don't hit!

I suggest using the laboratory vortex to shape it up. You just hold it on there for a bit with your hand and push down and it vibrates really fast. Should shake it up quite nicely. That is if you have access to one possibly in a biology laboratory.

It's been a while since I cheated at a Nintendo game.
Well, I guess if I get bored with it I can do that, but there's not much of a reason to use the Pokewalker.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here