The Escapist Presents: Pokewalking with The Escapist

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Artemus_Cain:
God, they made it so hard to cheat at that thing. Just sitting and shaking it only works once in a blue moon.

Works all the time for me

But on topic what I do is take it with me whenever I go out and then put it in the passengers seat when I'm driving, so every bump I hit makes it move and I get LOTS of steps

Susan Arendt:
I would think the movement of the fan would be far too smooth. There has to be a back-and-forth-ness to the movement in order for it to register.

What about taking out one of the blades to make it lopsided?
Then it would be all...shakey.

Or! Wrapping it in something soft and dangling it over a fan, so the fan hits it over and over!

Fun video, though!
The dog is just adorable, and Jordan's bouncing is hypnotic! (That was Jordan, right?)

lol at the attaching it to his dog...lawl

Woulden't it be a better idea to tape the pokéwalker to the car tire instead and just drive around for a while?

CaptainCrunch:
Nope. Pedometers generally measure rapid changes in acceleration. When your foot hits the ground, the pedometer accelerates rapidly in the opposite direction it was traveling. The electronics measure the spike and add to the counter. If you attached it to anything that rotates at relatively constant speed in the same direction, you would only get steps when you went over large bumps, or if you changed gears a lot.

That's how it seems to work to me. I'd like to try taping it to a clock pendulum, which I suspect would work well, but I don't have access to a clock with one these days ;)

I choose secret option X:

Tape it to the wrist of a teenage boy between the ages of 13-18...

I'm very sorry everyone, I'll take my leave now!

its a GARADOSE (how you say it lol)

Awww your dog is so cute, also I didn't know The Escapist headquarters was that large.

Sorry my post is a bit off topic

its gar not guy. also cant you just shake it in you hand for 5 or 6 minutes every day, because you need 20000000 steps to unlock every in the pokewalker

Maybe John Funk can use a hyperactive kid like how Gabe and Tycho did.

The Rockerfly:
Awww your dog is so cute, also I didn't know The Escapist headquarters was that large.

Sorry my post is a bit off topic

Thanks, his name is Jasper, he likes long walks in the grass, getting up way too early, and helping me with work experiments.

Also, that building is just a front. Escapist HQ is in a bunker 2 miles underground ;)

Baby Tea:

Susan Arendt:
I would think the movement of the fan would be far too smooth. There has to be a back-and-forth-ness to the movement in order for it to register.

What about taking out one of the blades to make it lopsided?
Then it would be all...shakey.

Or! Wrapping it in something soft and dangling it over a fan, so the fan hits it over and over!

It's probably only sensitive in one axis. (Up/Down) If it's as cheaply made as I'm thinking, your best bet would be to rig up a rotating cam system. Link

It is also likely that it's not very sensitive to motion in the first place (built cheaply). The absolute peak of cheating efficiency would require a 555 timer circuit and a bit of creative engineering. But, you could get all your unlocks in less than a day with such a method. (555 timers max out @ 180Khz, but I'm guessing it would only work up to 60Hz with the Pokewalker.)

You'd also void your warranty and possibly bring the wrath of Nintendo. Fair warning.

Good to know. If I ever do decide to get HeartGold or SoulSilver I'll just attach the Pokewalker to my windsheild wiper.

jpakaferrari:
I suggest using the laboratory vortex to shape it up. You just hold it on there for a bit with your hand and push down and it vibrates really fast. Should shake it up quite nicely. That is if you have access to one possibly in a biology laboratory.

I am so trying this when I finally get the game (stupid EU release dates). Getting it first thing tomorrow.

Bwahaha, that was hilarious. Taping to an office worker on an exercise ball...!

CaptainCrunch:

DarkGargoyle:
I think the restless leg test might have been compromised. As I recall, these devices are easiest to cheat in a vertical orientation, so attaching it to the ankle rather than the top of the foot might have different results.

I'd wager a guess that the pedometer in the Pokewalker is little more than a freely swinging switch. Most simple pedometers operate on this principle, and as such require the contact be maintained for a brief time to log the step.

Meaning, restless leg more likely failed because it was too fast. It would be the same for the mechanical paint can shaker.

If you tap your heel instead of just shaking your leg it works. Even if the pokewalker is in your pocket, it will pick up the movement. It worked for me, anyways.

I'd tape and zip tie it to the wheel of my car.

I just walk to campus. A half-hour walk, both ways, gets me more watts than I know what to do with.

I suspect the Pokewalker was designed for fat kids.

I suffer from restless leg syndrome so my only problem will be hiding it from the people I work with. I've also got 7 hours of orchestra on Saturday which will mean my leg will be bouncing up and down to keep time so should be able to get some xp there as well.

Great video though. I knew there was a reason I came to the Escapist.

Stopped watching as soon as you slaughtered the pronunciation of Gyarados.

guy-ra-dos?

gy-a-ra-dos?

ga-ra-dos?

How dare you make me question the pronunciation!

yanipheonu:
Stopped watching as soon as you slaughtered the pronunciation of Gyarados.

Fun fact. I worked at the Pokemon Center in New York City for a summer, and that's where I picked up "Guy-ra-dos."

Couldn't you just shake it? That's how most pedometers work.

Get tired, sit down, shake hand.

It seems that all you need is way too much spare time, then you will eventually figure something out.

Is your Pokewalker painted black?

Oh come on, surely you can think of better ways:

- We're getting into the summer any month now, and summer comes with fans... Stick it to a fan "paddle" and enjoy your million steps WHILE you work.

- Instead of tying it to the car's windshield, why not tie it to the wheel "rays"? Going for a drive? Enjoy a huge "step" boost!

- ...Got a bike? Same as the car system.

- Alternatively, turn the bike upside down, tie the walker thing to the wheel ray-thing, and "manually" pedal. Not as constructive since you're not going anywhere, but on the other hand, there's no resistance, so you should get a lot more steps faster.

- Tie it to a small/medium size rope (about the size of your forearm at most) and swing it in circles.

- ....Blender?

I say this needs an episode 2.

After watching this experiment I tried out the headbanging thing while sitting at my desk and it worked pretty well. Granted, it was hard to watch the shaky computer screen and I had typos galore, but I never really got any work done whenever they play Queen on the radio.

i cant decide if the pokewalker is a good idea or just lame. awesome video though.

The Rockerfly:

We have an office in one of the corners of one of the floors of that building. The whole thing isn't ours ;)

Symantec has the entire first floor though.

sonic232:
Ummm... You can't evolve a Pokemon in the Pokewalker >.>;; I've tried it. It can't learn any moves, either. That can only be done in-game.

The programme pronounces Gyarados as

"Garadose"

Holding it in my hand and shaking it up and down seems to work well for me... And keeping it attached to my pocket while I drive. It seems to count every little bump as a step.

I can say for a fact that I generate mad Watts by attaching my Pokewalker to the side of my shoe next to the heel while I am sitting in my office at work. If you have restless legs like me, just make sure the back of your heel is lightly tapping the ground-- the device seems to respond to force rather than just movement.

I just walk to my train station everyday. It's like 5,000 steps in 20 minutes.

Poke-dog... useful and adorable.

So you don't want to walk 500 mules and then 500 more just to be the man who walk a thousand miles unlocks all the pokecontent?

My solution would be to tie the thing to a vacuum cleaner and see if that works, but I guess the wipers really are effective.

Ok.... I'm going to describe this in the coldest most clinical method I can, so as to avoid suspension and ban.

Why not try using a Poké-walker during sexual intercourse? Not that I want to see the video of it on this site, mind you. They could call it Poké.... well, Poké-poker, to be perfectly frank.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here