It's Time To Forgive George Lucas

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Sorry, I disagree.

Lucas is the epitome of everything that's awful about Hollywood. The CGI-stained, unlikeable character, bums-on-seats, mindless, soulless drivel that's churned out every summer like those hotdogs that sit rotating on their grill. You know that they're awful, mince-filled, dirt-trodden, dry pieces of polystyrene but you also know that someone is going to be paying for them, and that someone could be you.

Lucas may not be the EVIL that he is meant to be, but he believes himself to be above those petty ideas like integrity, and sheer leaving the hell alone that has spawned every last vile "re-definition" of shows that forget the very reason they existed.

Lucas had one good idea (that he stole) and made something wonderful. Then he milked it and squeezed every last drop out of that cow until it was left with nothing more than a shell. Then he packed the shell with tripe and kept milking.

Part of the reason I went back to tell the prequel, of how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader, is that it`s an interesting story and a fun one to tell. Because it is the story of how a good person turns bad.

Some of the great Star Wars moments have been from people other than Lucas, who he then seeks to destroy to save "HIS GREAT WORK".

Forgive Lucas? Never. Purely because he keeps asking for forgiveness and then releasing something awful, while hiding something beautiful.

Learning to make films is very easy. Learning what to make films about is very hard.

Yeah, maybe I'm old and cynical and probably laying it on a bit thick, but think about it for a second.

Phantom Menace

Opening Scene: Yoda lays beaten on the floor as Darth Maul approaches.

"You were foolish to attempt to rescue the boy from me."

He ignites the dual lightsaber and draws back.

"Fool I am? You are one forgetting to disarm me!"

Yoda leaps into the air and strikes hard at Maul. Maul blocks unsteadily and swings at the tumbling Jedi while a small boy looks on in fear and wonder.

THAT's how you win over old and young alike. Not with a pair of bored Jedi and a protocol droid.

That's what he's afraid of, and what he helped to create. He's gone back on his younger self, betrayed to the Dark Side of Cinematography, and as such, he must be struck down before he grows more powerful than we can possibly imagine.

I took over control of the merchandising not because I thought it was going to make me rich, but because I wanted to control it. I wanted to make a stand for social, safety, and quality reasons. I didn`t want someone using the name `Star Wars` on a piece ...

It's not just that the prequels were bad, but that he ruined the sequels as well. And then prevented people from making the choice between them.

"Right or wrong this is my movie, this is my decision, and this is my creative vision, and if people don`t like it, they don`t have to see it."

I'm sorry. Lucas has it coming and more.

From

A special effect is a tool, a means of telling a story. A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing.

to

If the boy and girl walk off into the sunset hand-in-hand in the last scene, it adds 10 million to the box office.

Lastly, besides the atrocity of Jar-Jar, the ear-rending Anakin/Padme, the removal of Alec Guinness - he made Samuel L Jackson and James Earl Jones seem laughable.

That simply isn't on.

ahpuch:
I have to laugh at the fanboys who are angry for the prequels. Jar-jar was not an unexpected failure or departure for Lucas for anyone paying attention. Jar-jar was no worse than when ewoks showed up in RofJ. I guess if you were 8 though when that came out you might not have noticed how much that sucked.

No I'm sure at eight (oddly right on the nose with that) I hated ewoks just as much... Never got how arrow made it through the stormtrooper armor...

Geoffrey42:
As much as I do not enjoy the new movies, and where Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars are ridiculously better than the CG wrecks that follow, I don't begrudge Lucas for not making things that I like. I just don't like them.

I would be fine with the man, if he would just give me the Blu-Ray copies of the original trilogy, un-edited (the Han/Jabba edit is particularly ugly, no matter what issue you take with the retcon aspect of things), which I know he showers in, and swims in, and sleeps in, and builds his private outhouse out of, merely to be mean to his countless fans that love work which he despises.

I like the current Clone Wars series, not so much the movie. It's come into it's own and introduced some cool characters like Cad Bane.

Before talking about forgiving OR forgetting George Lucas, one must consider what happened in between 1983 and 1999. Most specifically the explosion of good Star Wars novels, good Star Wars videogames from a LucasArts that hadn't fired all the creative people yet (THAT should be the REAL unforgivable crime,) and the gradual Star Wars hype machine (re-release of the remastered original series, release in theaters and then VHS of the Special Edition with actual nods to Coruscant and such cities,) combined to give the impression that yes, all you readers of the New Star Wars print media and players in the New Star Wars videogame lands (Kotor? Pish-tosh, ye ignorant neophytes, it was all about Rebel Assault, Dark Forces, and TIE Fighter!) were actually being listened to.

As it turned out, no, not really, no. The soft-spirituality of the Force, which you can generally get away with in sci-fi, led directly to the soft-science of the midichlorians (Parasite Eve did that plot way better in the same year,) "going through the planet core"(facepalm), and a ridiculously lame attempt to shoehorn in a 'virgin birth' subplot. (Which I facepalmed at nearly as hard as when the Na'vi told Jake Sully that he must be 'born again'.)

PROTIP: Western movies should only borrow Eastern spiritual concepts. Eastern movies should only borrow Western spiritual concepts. There's something incredibly unright about people who live in your own damn country with your own damn co-religionists getting it that wrong. C.S. Lewis is subtler than that in Narnia. Michael fucking Bay is subtler than that in Transformers. (As soon as I saw Soundwave for the first time, I realized that Transformers 2 less a hard sci-fi movie than a Frank Peretti novel with giant robots standing in for the angels and demons. It's the closest thing to This Present Darkness you'll find in theaters, and that covers for a whole lot.)

I think that Michael Bay actually occasionally watches anime, and might even occasionally read books, even if they are by Frank Peretti. I think C.S. Lewis actually read the Tao Te Ching or the life of Siddhartha Gautama (and a crapload of other books) before writing Narnia. I think that James Cameron actually plays Starcraft, Halo, or other such videogames occasionally. (Frank Peretti most definitely watched every GOOD movie George Lucas ever made.)

I think that George Lucas did none of these things before making the prequels, neither reading the Star Wars books, playing the Star Wars videogames, or watching the zillion pieces of 90s sci-fi remake crap (Lost in Space, anyone?)that would have at least warned him of the direction NOT to go. His sins of commission(the prequels) were directly tied to his sins of omission(the VAST wealth of excellent stories and adaptations made from his work that near every Star Wars fan had been reading.) And thus he thought himself God of Star Wars, and that he could make great boasts without consequence or research, and yet still be taken seriously as God.

And that, as C.S. Lewis might say, is why Pride is not just a sin, it's the sin. Spiritual Pride, where a creator of derivative work assumes that his attitudes on it are the most important attitudes and the only ones that must be listened to, is the very worst.

All of the inchoate fanboy rage against George Lucas is deserved. George Lucas was not simply snubbing us, he was snubbing Timothy Zahn, Kevin J. Anderson, and the entire pre-1999 group of LucasArts employees.

That will be forgiven when it is actually apologized for. But I have seen no public acts of repentance, and thus I would only counsel letting the damned who refuse to be saved slip back into the mists of blessed human forgetfulness.

Forgive? NEVER!

Pff... Hmm.

Yes, I agree with the central thesis. The original Star Wars movies were as remarkable for creating a sort of mythology that held its young audience in a state of wonder as they were for their groundbreaking special effects, legendary musical score, and iconic characters. The big problem with the prequels was, I think, that in many eyes they weren't made with the same kind of love and consideration that many of the "real fans" would have given them, something that is easily recongizable in any number of scenes (and at least one character) that have become nearly legendary for their awfulness: Midichlorians. Jar-Jar. Sand. R2-D2 on jets. And so on.

But with jaded eyes, you can find a fair number of flaws in the "original" trilogy, if you care to look. Little as ham-handed as the prequels, but there are certainly some grimace-worthy moments. Their epic stature often causes us to overlook that.

So I'm not inclined to accuse Lucas of "raping my childhood". He made some bad movies; there are plenty of people guilty of that.

However, he didn't stop with Star Wars, nor does his influence end with those three bad movies. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was delayed because it was waiting for script approval from Lucas- which means he gets a significant share of the blame for that one, as well. But beyond that, the "prequel trilogy" sent a message ringing up the ranks to the suits in Hollywood that story and character weren't the building blocks of blockbuster box-office; what you needed, rather, was state-of-the-art special effects and a recognizable franchise, preferably one that elicited feelings of nostalgia from the target audience and its parents.

So we get Transformers. And Alvin and the Chipmunks. And Scooby-Do... No, I'm certainly no putting all of the blame for that at Lucas' feet; ultimately, it comes down to stupidity and greed. But I do think he helped pave the way. And while LucasArts has done more than it's share of good stuff, I wouldn't lay all the thanks for that at Lucas' feet either.

I don't damn Lucas, but you might say I'm not ready to release him on his own recognizance, either. It seems like the kindest thing the man could do for cinema right now is stay out of the way and let the hungry young creative types- people like he was when he made the original trilogy- do their thing. Or write books; I understand the book he wrote on cinema isn't half bad. But when it comes to popular media today, one feels that he has gotten to the point where his wealth and power vastly outstrips his patience and sense.

AngelOfBlueRoses:
There's nothing too forgive. I liked the prequels for what they were and I'm a devoted Star Wars fan. While he could have made Anakin less of an emo, it's not bad. Move on, people.

Plus, did you notice that the guy in RedLetterMedia can't properly say "Protagonist"? Seriously? You can't say protagonist? It's like a 9th grade word. I didn't trust his review at all after that.

He was doing it for the lawls. I had some pretty good laughs from that review, "Who wants some pizza rolls?!"

I have a love/hate relationship with the prequels, it's actually pretty hard to explain now that I think of it. o.0

Frank_Sinatra_:

I don't see why everyone hated the prequels so much.
Phantom Menace had some sickass lightsaber fights,

Phantom Menace ONLY had some sickass lightsaber fights. I can watch a Jackie Chan film for better.

MarioKart is no subject for a Epic Space Opera.

AngelOfBlueRoses:
There's nothing too forgive. I liked the prequels for what they were and I'm a devoted Star Wars fan. While he could have made Anakin less of an emo, it's not bad. Move on, people.

Plus, did you notice that the guy in RedLetterMedia can't properly say "Protagonist"? Seriously? You can't say protagonist? It's like a 9th grade word. I didn't trust his review at all after that.

You think that's bad; my lecturer can't say it properly, and she has a doctorate in English.

OT: I always thought Episode One was actually quite good, so I couldn't understand why it garnered so much hate. I'm not really against the whole prequel trilogy, although Episode 2 is probably one of the worst big-budget movies I've ever seen. What irritates me about George Lucas is his constant need to fill in gaps that quite frankly should be left alone. There's a point where the author of any fantastical creation needs to step aside and allow it a life of its own, rather than acting like they are the sole master of it. Case in point: J.K Rowling coming out after the last Harry Potter book with "by the way, Dumbledore was gay". George Lucas keeps trying to fill in the gaps in the prequel and the leadup to the original trilogy, and it just keeps producing these asinine storylines like that of The Force Unleashed - which I hear is now getting a sequel.

What the Star Wars Franchise needs is more Old Republic stuff that doesn't have a direct bearing on the trilogies. It's kind of amusing that Bioware are currently doing a better job of expanding the Star Wars universe than George Lucas himself. But really, they need to just leave that period alone. Anything written after Return of the Jedi mostly revolves around the Empire/Emperor not actually being defeated and coming back: a striking lack of imagination, to say the least. Anything written in the prequel timeline tends to just pad it out to bursting point because for some reason LucasArts always feel the need to shoehorn in popular characters, instead of really trying to create new ones.

I guess it's easy to forget how much love and hope the fans had put into Star Wars before the prequels even existed.

After the prequels, Star Wars is just another series of movies - enjoyable but flawed.

Beforehand, they were a social phenomenon that could probably have fuelled global peace, if properly harnassed. Oh well. Roll on Clash of the Titans.

Shamanic Rhythm:
It's kind of amusing that Bioware are currently doing a better job of expanding the Star Wars universe than George Lucas himself.

From what I've seen, most of the non-Lucas stuff is filled with the same charm and love the originals had. Which is why losing Star Wars Galaxies to the NGE was such a hard knock.

It's like George simply doesn't "get" what made the movies great, and is trying his hardest to make them for himself, rather than the people who loved them. That's why it took so many re-scriptings, the original original was trash.

How many quotes from the sequels can you rattle off from the top of your head? The prequels just seems to have "NooooooOOOOOooooo".

I'm mildly amused by the vitriol some people have for a man over sixteen or so hours of moving images. It's just... bizarre, really. There are better things to invest your sense of well-being in than a few movies.

That being said, as a fan of the original three movies (not a fanatic, thank you) I do think Lucas seriously botched the prequels. It seems to me that he's at his best when he's being thwarted from creating his original "vision" and has to find ways around the limitations placed before him. And it does seem to help if he has other creative, and more-focused, people helping him along. I won't deny that A New Hope was as much about spectacle and bombast as Phantom Menace was, but PM seemed more... compartmentalized. As if Lucas decided that THIS section of the movie would be whiz-bang special effects, and THIS section would be exposition and plot advancement... and then didn't really bother tying them together.

And then... there was Jar-Jar. Where C3PO was amusing for his bumbling about, Jar-Jar came across as annoying. Perhaps if he'd been given an R2-D2 type of foil of his own, it might have been better, but to be honest the movie could have gotten by perfectly well without him. His inclusion feels like Lucas came up with the idea to put a marketable sidekick in the movie and then followed the worst possible decision tree in its development.

Worst of all, however- and here I'm not sure how much of this can be laid at Lucas's feet; I don't know how much input he really had- was the casting. Ewan MacGregor was a fairly good call as Obi-Wan, and who hasn't wanted to put a lightsabre in Samuel L. Jackson's hands, but the twin mannequins that are Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman absolutely sucked the energy out of any scene either of them was in. Having them together in a scene proved a miracle cure for insomnia, as they blatantly exercised their inability to emote or portray convincing characters. Christensen was particularly bad- he took Anakin Skywalker's slow slide towards the dark side, justifying every increasingly bad decision with the protection of his love, and turned it into an emo-tastic poutfest.

And then, there was the dethroning moment of suck: "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

So, yeah, I don't HATE George Lucas. I never invested myself heavily enough in anything he made to be so deeply affected. But I do think he got far too involved with all the gee-whiz special effects and marketing possibilities to pay enough attention to things like story and characterization, and (as many others here have said) he didn't have enough people around him to point him in a better direction. I suppose when you spend a couple decades hearing people tell you what a genius you are, you can't help but let it get to your head.

Oh, yes, I linked to TV Tropes. I bask in your hate! I feed upon it! Ahhh haha ha ha ha ha HA HA HA HA HA HA *cough cough wheeze* ...dammit.

I never hated Lucas, just what he did to the franchise and the way I feel about him is the same way I feel about other bad movies. I lament the potential, I cry for the lost chance for greatness. It's just more spectacular with Lucas because he proved that he could do so much better.
I partly blame the rise of technology. I think the limits of technology forced George Lucas to think really hard about how he wanted to present his story. All that extra effort paid off in higher film quality. The advancement of technology made it too easy; he didn't have to take as much time to think about what he was doing, so the films didn't come out as good. I feel the same way about Spielberg's movies as well.
But he is still responsible. Lucas has fucked up royally and that's on his head. He thoroughly lobotomized his best franchises through negligence and arrogance. I'm not going to firebomb his house, or spam his inbox with hatemail, but I'm also never going to say he's the greatest filmmaker of all time, which at one time, he could have been. He's a man who produced some of the greatest films of all time, did a lot of good things for filmmaking, then fell from glory, like a rock star who got hooked on drugs. It's tragic, but he's got no one to blame but himself.

Nothing to forgive from me either. I never thought of the original trilogy as the holy bible in the first place as some fans might have. They were just silly movies I enjoyed very much so there was nothing to ruin anyway. And I was ok with the new trilogy too, so... yeah.

And let's not forget Pixar (started in 1979 as Graphics Group, a part of the Computer Division of Lucasfilm).

I think the problem was people just jumping on the bandwagon of general opinion. The first page of replies confirms this.

I also have to completely disagree with you bob. Fuck the original starwars and forget about Indiana Jones. Pretend they never happened. George Had all the resources in the world to make great science fiction films and yet he instead raped someone elses creation. Yeah I'm saying it. I strongly suspect George Lucas is not responsible for much if not all of the original starwars but rather Ralph McQuarrie who actually designed the star wars universe was the true talent behind the films.

I watched the webcast in the making of the prequel trilogy. Lucas had very little to do with most of the design and concept of it. Theres even a webcast showing the 5 artists he PAID to come up with General grievous.

Yeah fine I'm sure I sound like a raving fan/fanatic but I stood in line for hours to see phantom menace. I went to opening night for attack of the clones. Then I waited weeks to see revenge of sith and was still disappointed. After all this bullshit and hoohaa I just want my fucking money back and I want George Lucas to go the fuck away. He's a fraud and his films have turned to shit.

yes forgive him and start hating the idiots who screwed up the transformer movies

I never got the whole hating of the three prequels.

I suppose it's like reading the book before watching the movie.
The book is almost always better, so watching the movie is a disappointment.
Watch the movie first, have fun, then read the book, have more fun.

I saw the first three before the originals, so I enjoyed it all the way through.

I still don't get why people hate the prequels so much, I thought they were a little less fun (though not for lack of trying) and there a few wooden moments (that don't seem entirely out of place) but overall I think they're pretty good. Probably the best guesses I've heard are what's in the article-- it's a revelation one of their favorite things is fallible and not so much of a special little snowflake-- and tat a lot of fans had probably come up with their perfect version of episodes one through three in their minds and got attached to it and being told the story wasn't that really upset them. Every time someone has tried to explain to me why they're (almost) the worst things ever I got nowhere.

There are just too many movies to "hate" any filmmaker. Really, there's an immense ocean of stuff out there. You never have to watch the same movie twice. There are hundreds of great movies just as absorbing and thrilling as any Starwars flick. Just last night I saw 1939's Stagecoach. Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress the night before that. Later this year, a new version of Fritz Lang's Metropolis is coming out.

It used to make me mad that I couldn't watch the original Star Wars on DVD, and then when it did come out, it was a crummy laserdisc port. But now I don't care if I ever see Star Wars again. If he doesn't want to put out the original versions, I don't have to watch them. Star Wars doesn't matter. It's just a movie.

What? No mention of "Day of the Tentacle" or "Zombies Ate My Neighbors?" Those games were BADASS!!! That's just poor-form, sun worshiper.

[note=Rao is the patron deity of Krypton, symbolized by a red sun. Just FYI for the people on the board who are not hopeless comic-book nerds like me :P]

Yeah the first prequel was a pretty big fail overall but IMO he did better on the other two. Sure the romance and so called "emo-zation" of Vader was disappointing but I pretty much loved everything else in the prequels that didn't involve Anakin.

The rest of the Jedi, the Seperatists, the FUCKING CLONES!! If I picked out one more thing to hate it would be how the the droids were turned into more comic relief than actual threats to galactic peace.

So basically yeah Anakin's story was pretty bad. Everything else outside of Ep. 1 though was pretty good, IMO.

This was an interesting article...

...Right up until the part where he credited George Lucas for the SCUMM games. Those games could have existed just as easily without him, and I'm 100% Lucas himself had absolutely nothing to do with any of the specific games Chipman listed. They were great games, but not because of the LucasArts title slapped on them. Point and click adventure games existed without SCUMM, and they continute to exist with it.

Besides, we all know the best SCUMM game ever written was LOOM.

zelda2fanboy:
It's just a movie.

William Shakespear was just a writer. Albert Einstein was just a physicist. War and Peace was just a book.

That doesn't mean that they didn't have a huge effect on Human history, psychology, belief and dreams.

Oh, and Zelda was just a game. Or do you still twitch when I say "EXCUUUUUSE ME, Princess"? :)

i still dont forgive him for howard the duck

Two things: First, compare the hours of enjoyment you've gotten from the Star Wars franchise to the hours you wasted/hated from the Star Wars franchise, i'm willing to bet that you've spent more hours enjoying Star Wars than you have hating it.

Secondly, lets say you have never seen a Star Wars movie and you watch em in order, from PM to ROTJ, the series only gets better, right? Thats not an entirely bad thing, plenty of film series get worse every film, for example, the Matrix trilogy. I watch the first film from start to finish then i just watch some of the cooler fights in the second and third as the rest of those two films are unbarable.

I would also like to point out that ILM worked not only on the Star Trek films, but also Star Trek: TNG. Making the Lucas (at least somewhat) responsible for at least two other freakin awesome sci fi series.

The Rogue Wolf:

Worst of all, however- and here I'm not sure how much of this can be laid at Lucas's feet; I don't know how much input he really had- was the casting. Ewan MacGregor was a fairly good call as Obi-Wan, and who hasn't wanted to put a lightsabre in Samuel L. Jackson's hands, but the twin mannequins that are Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman absolutely sucked the energy out of any scene either of them was in. Having them together in a scene proved a miracle cure for insomnia, as they blatantly exercised their inability to emote or portray convincing characters. Christensen was particularly bad- he took Anakin Skywalker's slow slide towards the dark side, justifying every increasingly bad decision with the protection of his love, and turned it into an emo-tastic poutfest.

And then, there was the dethroning moment of suck: "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Actually, the performance an actor turns is very much in the director's hands - it's how a good director can take an "unknown" actor and turn them into a very effective character. Admitedly, not all directors are good at this. By the accounts of all the actors in the prequels, however, GL is especially bad at it, as evidenced by the disaffected face of just about any of the main actors.

On the other hand, the movies are very very pretty. Even if they don't hold up so well. Maybe he'll make a special edition soon! Yay! Zzzzz!

FORGIVE ? ! ? NEVER ! ! !

George Lucas is like the Prophet Mohammed. It is remotely possible that he was once touched by greatness, something special and divine, but then he became corrupt and like SouthPark said, "raped my childhood memories for money". If he was a good man he wouldn't have done that. If he were still a genius and not some sort of "film media vandal" I could forgive. If he had produced something good recently, I might forgive. But lets face facts, the man hasn't done anything except coat his legacy in a veneer of fecal matter and roll in the money like a porky cocaine addicted swine. At age 7 I was a StarWars Fan. Now like Darth Vader I scream a powerless "NOOOOOOO" at the appalling tragedy that has unfolded, but unlike Darth, I had no say in it. It is time George Lucas be put out of our collective misery by having 100,000 Jarjar Binks action figures rammed up his rectum before he does any more damage to his films (if that is possible).

Movie Bob is just being a preachy idiot as all critics are when they start analyzing and passing down their high and mighty judgements. "Thou shalt not mess with my childhood nerddoms" - GET OVER IT. God forbid the person who CREATED the thing that you like does what he wants with it. He did it the way he wanted to. Yes, blah blah sentimental value of old movies from the 70's and 80's - nothing will match their legend - I don't buy it. But series as a general can easily run afoul, I would have pointed to Star Trek as a series that managed to make many movies and continue to be entertaining (alternating pattern of high/low with the even number rule - yes I buy into that lol, always been right for me) - but the travesty that was "Star Trek '11'" was so bad, the trailers pained me so that I didn't dare watch that travesty of a film. In that regard, Movie Bob was quite accurate and refreshingly so - I mean they called it "This generations Star Wars" WTF!?

People can say whatever they like, I think most people LIKED the prequels and a very vocal minority likes to run their mouth about how "blah blah - it's not PERFECT in my opinion - rant rant George Lucas should have made my fan story into a movie". So what, you're telling me that RotJ having the Empire fall as the grand finale would have been better if he made a trilogy of sequels? Any potential sequels to RotJ would be SO hard to make and make well, and you want to talk with screwing with the Star Wars universe that would do it way more. Leave the books to let your mind explore the period after RotJ. Given the way ANH starts, it lends itself to having prequels to explain how things came to be. If you were so satisfied with not having the backstory - don't watch the freakin' prequels! Just ignore them and stop blubbering on about how they're so bad (because they're not, just because you wish they didn't use CG and that they used your fan story doesn't make them bad to everyone else who appreciates them).

I was a kid right around the time Episode I was premiering, so to me this was amazing. I had watched and thought the other Star Wars movies were cool, but Episode I was to me what probably ANH was to many people who were around when it premiered. I'm not going to deny having any favouritism due to being a kid and excited about a new movie, but I wouldn't be the Star Wars fan I am today without the prequels to have really got me into the series. Maybe it's because when I watch movies I don't sit there thinking of ways to pick at it and find flaws in it. I don't know what kind of great life a movie critic must have (self-proclaimed ones too) but they must be miserable a lot trying to find things to pick at to make a fine movie horrible.

The way some of you talk, it's like the prequels were some super low budget crap movies. Good lord I've watched some low budget movies, and not the "nostalgic" kind - the plain out bad kind, like "Wow, this movie is so poorly made it's unbearable to watch". Theoretically speaking in some aspects people might consider the classic The Day The Earth Stood Still to be cheesy and antiquated, but like ANH it's timeless. Now compare to some of those cheesy alien movies from the 60's, none of the famous ones just completely random ones that no one remembers. EXACTLY, NO ONE remembers and no one wants to. They're just not enjoyable. I think every Star Wars movie will always be enjoyable to any generation, as soon as the people who were kids when ANH die of old age everyone will still enjoy and like the Star Wars franchise - perhaps with less fervency than the original fans if there aren't any new movies out when they're around or if someone other than Mr. Lucas makes the films which will almost guaranteed not be anywhere close to any of the current films. Seriously die hard old school fans, if you hate the prequels so much - just think about a "Star Trek '11'" in the Star Wars universe, a Star Wars that completely FUBARs the series universe by doing stupid things just to make it popular with more people. Think about the fact THERE WERE CARS IN STAR TREK (When in the future did we decide to use outdated vehicles when there are flying shuttles?), just think if they put real Earth style cars in Star Wars. How f$@&ed up would that be? See Darth Vader driving around in a damn Grand National or something...that kind of scale of screwed up, where he has a cell phone and all that - just look at Transformers to see how they can mess with stuff you think you know.

Again, I'm no movie critic - but then again I enjoy watching movies where I suppose some people enjoy just hating what they see. I only watch genres I like and premises that interest me - so I know I am bored of a sports movie, romance story, etc before I even start watching it so I bypass it completely. No one can just enjoy the damned movies without nitpicking. But like Movie Bob said of the Back to the Future series - no more. It's complete. The way those are setup further movies would be obvious cash cows. Consider the original Star Wars trilogy, while it was GREAT and people loved it - did the prequels totally destroy the Star Wars universe and just make the whole thing bad? Maybe some of you still foolishly think so, but I think more people like than dislike the prequels and thanks to this Star Wars on the whole.

Prequel haters get out of your movie critic chair and get back in the enjoyment chair, you're missing out on a lot...George Lucas didn't rape your childhood or whatever - if you think so then you are convincing yourself of it, probably because you don't get enough attention. Stop being so melodramatic.

Gotta remember George is one person im sure others had thier hand in messing up the movies
gotta blame everyone not just one single person

Overall, it is his creation, and therefore he doesn't have to care whether we see it or not. HE does need to be forgiven because there is nothing to forgive. Sure, maybe the movies weren't perfect, but I wouldn't call them "awful" either. In the end it just shows that he is human and not every single movie in existence is going to be a masterpiece. They were technically a success since he made millions of dollars on it. I just think people should get off their high horse and look at the good aspects of the first three episodes.

formless777:
FORGIVE ? ! ? NEVER ! ! !

George Lucas is like the Prophet Mohammed. It is remotely possible that he was once touched by greatness, something special and divine, but then he became corrupt and like SouthPark said, "raped my childhood memories for money". If he was a good man he wouldn't have done that. If he were still a genius and not some sort of "film media vandal" I could forgive. If he had produced something good recently, I might forgive. But lets face facts, the man hasn't done anything except coat his legacy in a veneer of fecal matter and roll in the money like a porky cocaine addicted swine. At age 7 I was a StarWars Fan. Now like Darth Vader I scream a powerless "NOOOOOOO" at the appalling tragedy that has unfolded, but unlike Darth, I had no say in it. It is time George Lucas be put out of our collective misery by having 100,000 Jarjar Binks action figures rammed up his rectum before he does any more damage to his films (if that is possible).

You really should get a different hobby.

I never hated the prequel trilogy, I always thought the legions of haters out there were bat-shit bonkers.

I will stop being angry w/ George when he stops trying to destroy his own franchise. Jar Jar indeed >.>

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here