A View From The Road: Poke-walking Through PAX

Pages 1 2 NEXT

A View From The Road: Poke-walking Through PAX

The Pokewalker may be Nintendo's most ingenious peripheral yet.

Read Full Article

hehe, I supppose great thing about conventions is you will meet like minded people.

I just love how "Pokewalker" became a term for "Lets Connect!"

Good times

Never a day has passed since getting HeartGold when I didn't strap on my pokewalker before heading out to work. So far I've only encountered one other person with it. Guess what he had? A Goldeen. Of all the pokemon, I ran into a guy who carried around a Goldeen. Figures.

Still, it was great meeting someone else with one. Someimes I think I'm the only one in this city who cares about it.

The Pokéwalker is slowly becoming their ingenious design to let the world know that Nintendo truly does own us, I swear.

But all real-world-threat talk alike, those little buggers are indeed like a membership badge.
The even more ingenious aspect to it is that how little experience you get while walking, so you have the urge to keep it with you every second of your day (which only makes me wish I had it back when I was in high school taking gym).

Tangent: Also, your ideal team totally depends on your tier. UU is definitely Rain Dance teams, they dominate with Kabutops, OU is standard beat down, and Ubers is basically putting the Never Used tier in with a bunch of legendaries. Take your pick, Funk. =P

PAX was actually where I learned about this feature of the Pokewalker, and I had pretty much the exact same experience.

This is a well known psychological phenomenon. Having even a small facet in common with another person will foster a community. The fact that you're at the center of a gaming convention just increases the speed with which that bond forms. It's really interesting stuff. I love seeing concepts from my classes affecting the real world.

i've had my pokéwalker on my belt since i got it.
just got the wife the alternate version so now our pokés can playdate too.

Huh, I didn't know you got rare items from connecting two pokewalkers. I wonder if my local Gamestop will mind if I camp there for a few hours

Haha sounds like a very clever and useful feature!

If only I had a DS

RikSharp:
just got the wife the alternate version so now our pokés can playdate too.

...Is that a euphemism?

That aside, I really feel like I need to get my hands on SoulSilver, if just for nostalgia's sake. I'd have to borrow my sisters DS but still, I need it.

That is awesome, social network site and such should do something similar, like when you connect you get points for a reward and the person is added to special friend's list. I'd buy it

Sega missed out on a golden opportunity, it seems. They only had players transfer the otherwise useless Chao pets from Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 to the Virtual Memory Units for training (via mini-game like a stripped down handheld gaming device)and socializing with other players and their Chao with minor rewards and breeding by plugging the VMU into one another.
That Nintendo's Pokewalker lets one level up monsters central to the main gameplay experience by getting exercise and making connections sounds much better to me.
Then again, maybe the pedometer hadn't been invented during the era of the Dreamcast?

Jasmin can also be tackled with a good ground move or two, especially the Levatate-less magnemites. I took care of her by teaching my leveled Sudowodo dig :D (Who is also a great physical tank. Except against fighting. I hate that...)

And I beat carry mine everywhere too. There are three kinds of people at my high school I have discovered. Those who own the new pokemon game, those who would if they had a DS and those who can't believe that eighteen year olds still play pokemon.

There is just something very...... creepy about grown men being excited about pokemon.

:) its always nice to find someone as nerdy as you. [right now gligar has app. 1500watts. time to unlock some more routes] but which WoW dragon did you name it after? im curious.

That's really cool. Too bad every one focusses on the negatives of gaming to give a damn.

One day, I'll be able to shout "Pokewalker" and be awesome like you guys, one day...

me and my friend love using our pokewalker it's so fun

Did you name your dratini Malygos too john?

John Funk:
(Actually, given that I nicknamed my Dratini after a Warcraft dragon, the Pokéwalker did end up identifying me to Pokémon fans and WoW fans alike, but I digress.)

Which one?

I just have this hilarious mental image of Jon wading through a crowded room, pokewalker raised high above the heads of the others in his palm as he calls out "POKEWALKER" as he eyes a potential playmate.

One of my co-workers (I work checkouts at a major grocery store. I know, pathetic) tape his pokewalker to the inside of his arm underneath his long-sleeve work shirt. So 7 or 8 hours of moving his hand back and forth does some wondrous things for his pokemon.

Amnestic:

John Funk:
(Actually, given that I nicknamed my Dratini after a Warcraft dragon, the Pokéwalker did end up identifying me to Pokémon fans and WoW fans alike, but I digress.)

Which one?

Yeah which one? I want to know too.

But this sounds quite interesting, haven't played a Pokemon game in a while but i remember them being enjoyable, and this device has also peaked my interest.

Due to Final Fantasy XIII, I've had little time to fiddle with Heart Gold, I've only been using someone else's Soul Silver version so we both start with all 3 starting Pokemon, haha. But I want to finish Final Fantasy XIII before I go gallavanting onto another turn based RPG.

I've seen my friend use it though, it looks awesome.

Guvnorium:
Jasmin can also be tackled with a good ground move or two, especially the Levatate-less magnemites. I took care of her by teaching my leveled Sudowodo dig :D (Who is also a great physical tank. Except against fighting. I hate that...)

And I beat carry mine everywhere too. There are three kinds of people at my high school I have discovered. Those who own the new pokemon game, those who would if they had a DS and those who can't believe that eighteen year olds still play pokemon.

Ok, since I have a magnemite, I have to ask. What do you mean by "levatate-less"? Also, isn't Jasmine's Steelix level 35, and don't magnemites evolve at level 30?

Guvnorium:

Me and my friends bring our old gameboys to school just to play Pokemon against each other. Sadly, it's not an uncommon thing at my school to play the old games for some reason.

orannis62:

Guvnorium:

Ok, since I have a magnemite, I have to ask. What do you mean by "levatate-less"? Also, isn't Jasmine's Steelix level 35, and don't magnemites evolve at level 30?

"levatate-less" as in its ability is not levatate. you can kill it with ground.
(or fighting, or fire...)
steelix is easy, surf FTW, rock gives it the weakness and low SpDef make it really hurt.

I always end up getting Dive Balls from connecting to other people, on a bright note, i did get TM 32 yesterday.

OT: i always end up bringing my pokewalker with me wherever i go, im still tyring to evolve my magby though the thing, which come to think of it i should put my baby Eevee in there...

sallene:
There is just something very...... creepy about grown men being excited about pokemon.

Uh, why? It's a great game for all ages.

prophet0607:
:) its always nice to find someone as nerdy as you. [right now gligar has app. 1500watts. time to unlock some more routes] but which WoW dragon did you name it after? im curious.

WhiteRat07:
Did you name your dratini Malygos too john?

Amnestic:

John Funk:

Which one?

gibboss28:

Amnestic:

John Funk:

Which one?

Yeah which one? I want to know too.

But this sounds quite interesting, haven't played a Pokemon game in a while but i remember them being enjoyable, and this device has also peaked my interest.

It was a female Dratini, so naturally I had to name it Alexstraza (wasn't enough room to spell it correctly, sadly).

didnt the tamagachi use to be like this say way back when?

sallene:

Don't deny a man his Pokemons!

On an unrelated note, has anyone here heard about Shoddy Battle? It's a pokemon simulator that allows online pvp matches. Just pick your team and fight.
Be warned it is VERY competitive and is not for begginers. I've been playing there for months and I still get my ass kicked.

John Funk:

It was a female Dratini, so naturally I had to name it Alexstraza (wasn't enough room to spell it correctly, sadly).

ehh. i was gonna name the red gyarados that but it ended up male. so i named it Korialstrasz. if i had named my dratini it would have been Nozdormu because dragonite ends up a goldish color.

John Funk:

sallene:

I wouldnt really say for all ages. Its sort of a kids game isnt it? Least I dont see too many grown ups lugging around tele-tubbies or dora the explorer items around.

Just seems creepy for an adult to get into a kids game, especially when they dont have kids.

thats just me, not saying it how it really is.

sallene:

John Funk:

sallene:

I wouldnt really say for all ages. Its sort of a kids game isnt it? Least I dont see too many grown ups lugging around tele-tubbies or dora the explorer items around.

Just seems creepy for an adult to get into a kids game, especially when they dont have kids.

...but it isn't tele-tubbies or dora the explorer. It's a Nintendo game. Are you going to call it creepy for people to like Mario, now? It's literally all-ages.

sallene:

John Funk:

sallene:

Your ignorance makes me sad, so I will do my part to educate you. While the TV show is directed at kids the games are more of a "fun for the whole family" kind of thing. I guess to parallel it it's kinda like a pixar movie, fun for kids and adults alike. I happen to know at least one of the 2 PA guys gets really into it, despite being in his mid 30s.

Hey... I use a dratini too. (Dubbed Smaug) And I agree it's an awesome little thing. Except someone I linked with got TM11... the bastard.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here