Review: Just Cause 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Bad voice acting and glitchy sound, I'll agree with. The dying in the intro I don't get, didn't happen to me or any of my friends once, so maybe you just suck :P Extraction is a fantastic time saver, but I still fly most places myself so I can stop along the way. The supplies dropping where you place the reticule when you summon the black market is intuitive enough that trying to call him while aiming at the side of a building is just foolish. Can't say much about the driving, I use the grapple/'chute or a chopper to get around.

What else...? The gunplay worked for me. He can hit the target as long as the reticule is red ever if you aren't looking directly at the baddie, but if you make the effort of focusing fire on the head, even the toughest colonels drop quickly. Although, I prefer to kill colonels by dropping cars on them. I have never had ammo issues (playing on experienced), and I rarely call for a weapon drop, unless I feel like a different 2-handed weapon.

tl;dr Fantastic game, love most everything about it.

The controls were quite easy to use on the PC demo...

And your character has the health of most planets, so dying wasn't an issue for me...

And I used the black market only for bombs (and on the PC, you press a button and click to summon it)...

I love exploding things...

Since I have no problems with your problems, I'm going to buy this. Very quickly.

I only have one big complaint besides the voice acting. I'm and inverted axis man on the PS3 and that makes attack helicopters insanely difficult and unnatural to use. Other than that, having a blast.

...huh. I'm absolutely loving it. If you seriously went into the game expecting a deep and original plot and sympathetic characters, you're doing it wrong. The entire purpose of Just Cause 2 is to blow stuff up in the most ludicrous and amazing ways possible. Everything else is just there to support the fact.

Also, it seems many of the problems you encountered are the result of not paying attention to how the game works. You have to aim the crosshair at a level space big enough to park a vehicle when calling the Black Market dealer. Makes perfect sense. If you keep dying because some colonel and his bodyguards are in the way of your objective, make him your new objective. There's no rush. Kill him, by running him over or something, and then don't drive to your destination, grapple onto a near by tree and open your parachute while reeling in, and just fucking fly to where you want to go.

It sounds like you need to loosen up and play the game for its intended purpose: blowing shit up for points. If that's not your cup of tea, then no offense, but perhaps someone else should have reviewed this game.

Did anyone else notice in the demo the HUGE delay between pulling the trigger and firing? I timed it at a full second. When I tried to do headshots by single tapping it didn't even register.

too bad greg couldn't learn how to use the black market. i mean, all you have to do is look at the ground, but to some that proves a little tricky. some of his other complaints seem to be based on a misunderstanding of how the game works, or trivial nitpicks (time it take to die? come on. it's not instant, but it only takes a few seconds). it's a real shame, because the game is really fun

DrTrevelyan:
Not to insult your intelligence, but you died ten times in the first parachuting tutorial? I had no problem figuring out how to maneuver while gliding, nor did I have any trouble calling in for an extraction. maybe these "frustrating" features are only so because you didn't get the hang of them?

Yeah, I'm a touch confused at that as well. When you first get out of the chopper, you're catching up to a falling dead guy. As soon as you get within about 50 metres of him, a cutscene starts. Then it tells you to land on the side of this mountain. A big tip comes up at the bottom telling you which button to press to get the parachute out, then a cut scene comes up when you get close to the landing point. What the hell were you doing? Ignoring the parachute and nose diving straight down to slam Rico's face into a mountain?

LOL at the Black/white market comment. Hooray for unapologetic racism!

So this game is like Mercenaries 2, except it's not broken. I like!

"Perhaps that's why it's the black market and not the white market... It's a pain in the ass on purpose." - Greg Tito, March 30th 2010

I love you guys. :D

BobisOnlyBob:
Driving? Seriously? I've been watching my friend parachute around at high-speed thanks to the parachute/hookshot combo. Also, no mention of using the grappling hook to attach objects to objects? He's been dispatching generic mooks by attaching them to canisters and explosive barrels and then attacking them instead. Or vehicles.

The extraction system is easy and quick. The only problem I've seen is the lack of explanation; however, they're quick to work out with some experimentation.

It sounds like you've hit hard by journalistic time pressure and coming off the end of PAX. Hopefully you'll have some more time to dabble and either update the review or acknowledge the greater depth of the game here in the comments, because as it stands this review is poorly-researched at best.

I am the friend he mentioned. I bought this game for the PC a couple of days ago after playing the demo through 4 times. Since then I've put in nearly 20 hours and I'm still loving it. As you might be able to tell, I disagree with this review. This is probably the best sandbox game I've ever played. Most of the points he mentioned are niggles that didn't bother me. Black market? Death sequence? Really? I barely noticed them. Some of the problems he mentioned suggest that the good Mr Tito might just suck at this game. I figured out the black market system and parachute in 5 seconds. These are not complex mechanics. It's perfectly easy to use the black market to fast travel as well, so I really don't see what the problem is.

I won't pretend the game is entirely without its frustrations. It has a tendency to not explain its mechanics much, which is why you really need to mess around and experiment to fully understand how it works. In particular, the reviewer hardly mentioned the uses of the grappling hook in travelling and combat. Like Bob said, driving? Seriously? After a few hours of messing around I figured out how to use the hook to travel faster than a car and climb mountains like Spiderman. The fact that they weren't mentioned suggests that he just didn't realise you could do those things. Possibly deadlines and other engagements prevented him from taking the time to experiment properly.

I'm liking Greg Titos reviews, more concise than other reviewers.

All in all, this was a very entertaining game... for about an hour. With the storyline and voice acting so bad, I wasn't all that impressed. But it is alot of fun running around, blowing things up and playing with all the toys that you can get.

Oh, and there are some really touching moments:

I find it incredibly immersive, sometimes I just plot a destination to the furthest point on the map and just ride in a motorbike enjoying the great graphics.

It doesn't run on XP so that is the cut-off for me. I now wish for the death of the entire dev team. I played JC 1 and loved it. I was waiting for this game for MONTHS. but it doesn't run on DX9. *sobs and presses "tactical nuke button" followed by "blizzard studios" button. The best explosion the game ever caused...*

Excellent review.... Not much else to say here.

Baby Tea:
I guess I'm the only one who has absolutely no problem with the Blackmarket thing?

You're not, I'm playing it on PC and the whole process to the item screen takes tops 2 seconds.

Hey I dont think this game is an experiment. Its a sequel to a super fun game. I understand its a bit repetitive, but its more about going crazy and exploring. You also didnt mention the beautiful vistas, clouds, lighting effects, or the sheer number and variety of vehicles to wreak havoc with. Um I think you missed on this review.

This review really feels like Greg never bothered to RTFM.

I never experienced any off the issues Greg speaks of.

Opening drop sequence was smooth and fun, I wasn't even aware that you could die on the opening. The Black Market Beacons worked just fine, I saw the red reticule, figured I needed a flat track of land and boom... it dropped just fine.

My only problem with Just cause 2 was the terribly bad voice acting and gawd awful script... but thats also what I love about the game, so much so that I have taken to calling Rico "Dangeresque."

008Zulu:
Is it better or worse than the first one? I have the first but never finished it. I did like it but after a while repetition set in and I couldnt get back in to it.

Both. The overall gameplay is better, but the missions and overall "take-over-ability" of Panau feels a little stale. If you're a die hard, buy it, otherwise, follow the reviewer's suggestion and rent it. My take, rent it on Gamefly: That way you can keep it until you're finished and don't feel rushed into exploring or finishing the story mode.

i have a question how many hours could you put into this game and still have fun/complete all missions. trying to decide if i should just rent it for 2 weeks or buy it

Hmmm, decent review except for the crack on "WASP Heroes". Let's keep the racism or implied racism (in either direciton) out of things please.

That said it sounds kind of cool, not sure when I'll pick it up, but I probably will eventually. I'm not exactly drowning in cash at the moment. Despite my RPG addiction I do enjoy sandbox action games even if I'm not all that good at it. This seems a lot like the game Mercenaries 2 should have been.

I will mention however that setting up checkpoints and such is a touchy subject with games. To be honest few games have done it perfectly. The typical problem is that if respawning is too easy and conveinent people will complain that it makes the game too easy since you can just do a one man zerg rush, and it removes any real sense of risk from the game. Bioshock which had Vita Chambers almost everywhere, is a key example of this type of complaint.

They need to make dying meaningful, and in an action game like this, I'm not entirely sure how else they can do it.

GonzoGamer:

DoW Lowen:

Greg Tito would like to apologize to all of the innocent citizens of Panau for jumping onto their cars and tossing them out.

Yeah but you don't mean it.

OT: I just recently played Saint's Row 2 for the first time. Based on what I'm reading it looks like SR2 still holds the championship belt for best sand box game.

Actually, I thought Fallout 3 took the throne but that was more of an rpg.
I loved Saints Row 2 (it was the perfect thing at the time to wash the stale after-taste of gta4) and I think you got your perspective a little off.

They are very different games. Imagine if they guys who made Saints Row 2 said, "hey, we ripped off gta and made it better in the process. Let's do the same with Mercenaries." This would be the result.

It's not a perfect game but it's just fun and it gives you a hell of a lot of possibilities.

Saint's Row 2 was the most ridiculously fun game I ever played. I really found it hilarious that certain reviews bashed it for being "immature" and "unable to grow up". It's like bashing The Waterboy for being unable to make you cry.

There's something about Just Cause 2 that I don't like.

It takes the best aspect of all the good sandbox games and tries to incorporate it together. Prototype, Saint's Row, Crack Down, Mercenaries - it's all in there.

But it looks like it's spreading itself too thin. It all seems to be bones and no flesh.

Don't think I'm going to play it.

Zhukov:
Yeah, that's pretty accurate.

But no mention of the truly atrocious voice acting?

Sure, bad voice acting is practically a video game tradition but this is the only game that forced me to turn on subtitles and hit the mute button every time a character opened his or her mouth.

It wasn't bad voice acting, per se, just so incredibly cheesy it was rather cringe-inducing. I thought the VAs got into their characters quite well, and the issue was the hamtastic writing and ludicrous-to-the-point-of-offensive accents. Still a great game, although every time Sheldon opens his mouth I bang my head against the keyboard.

This review was...wrong. I thing you fucked around too much.

I never had to drive 2 miles to the start of a mission after dying. Because you're not supposed to fight anything until you get to the place. And then a checkpoint kicks in.

And the beacon was not confusing AT ALL.

I used it the first time they mentioned it.

TruthMan:
i have a question how many hours could you put into this game and still have fun/complete all missions. trying to decide if i should just rent it for 2 weeks or buy it

Like I said, I've been playing it for nearly 20 hours so far. Almost all of that is made up of me just fucking around, exploring the map and blowing up random things. I've hardly done any of the missions. Potentially it could keep you going for months, because the game is so damn huge. All depends on how you play and how long you think random faffing about would hold your attention.

3 seconds. Really. That's about how long it takes to die.

And I also think that the game mechanics are really well done. It's like a good version of mercenaries 2.

Also, It's like the only sandbox game where I actually had fun just dicking around. And yes, I have played saints row 2.

Therumancer:
Hmmm, decent review except for the crack on "WASP Heroes". Let's keep the racism or implied racism (in either direciton) out of things please.

Such as the "I guess that's why they call it the black market and not the white market."

I am a fan of off color humor, I rebel in the face of political correctness but that was just immature, childish, unfunny and lame.

DoW Lowen:

GonzoGamer:

DoW Lowen:

Greg Tito would like to apologize to all of the innocent citizens of Panau for jumping onto their cars and tossing them out.

Yeah but you don't mean it.

OT: I just recently played Saint's Row 2 for the first time. Based on what I'm reading it looks like SR2 still holds the championship belt for best sand box game.

Actually, I thought Fallout 3 took the throne but that was more of an rpg.
I loved Saints Row 2 (it was the perfect thing at the time to wash the stale after-taste of gta4) and I think you got your perspective a little off.

They are very different games. Imagine if they guys who made Saints Row 2 said, "hey, we ripped off gta and made it better in the process. Let's do the same with Mercenaries." This would be the result.

It's not a perfect game but it's just fun and it gives you a hell of a lot of possibilities.

Saint's Row 2 was the most ridiculously fun game I ever played. I really found it hilarious that certain reviews bashed it for being "immature" and "unable to grow up". It's like bashing The Waterboy for being unable to make you cry.

There's something about Just Cause 2 that I don't like.

It takes the best aspect of all the good sandbox games and tries to incorporate it together. Prototype, Saint's Row, Crack Down, Mercenaries - it's all in there.

But it looks like it's spreading itself too thin. It all seems to be bones and no flesh.

Don't think I'm going to play it.

Don't get me wrong, the game has it's problems and you're kind of right; it does seem to spread itself too thin. You can see that their layoffs affected how the game turned out and there's so much more they could've easily done with it; like having rewards for the collectable skulls and drug cases; you need not bother looking for them. It could've also used some more customization.

So while the story missions are few and not that great they seem to only be there to illustrate and force you to try what you thought might be impossible.

But I never get too involved in stories and characters in these games. With a game like SR2 or Prototype, I want to tour the environment and wreak havoc in all the different locations and that's what this game delivers on. Tons of locations and tools to cause chaos in and with. It's what my friends and I call "When Keepin it Real goes wrong," named after the Dave Chappelle skit.
If you speed through the story to have fun with that portion of the game, then this is the game for you.
However, it would probably be thrifty of you to hold off and pick up the goty edition in another year as there's plenty of space for dlc.

I really didn't like this review, I would call this a rant on annoying things in Just Cause 2 instead. While I do agree that they could have you just press down once instead of down -> aim on ground -> Y, it takes 2 seconds to figure out and 0 seconds to do each time.

As many people have pointed out, use extract to get to any found settlement fast. Or use the parachute + grapple since you can get insane speed and fly over mountains in minutes. Or buy a jetplane...

There was also no mention of the other features like using the grapple like attaching objects and people to other objects and people or climbing out of and standing on your car while in motion. And jump to other cars. Or helicopters. Or freaking jets! Yes you can jump from a jet to another while they are in flight. Learning how to use the grapple to wreak havoc is a major part of the gameplay and one of the few things you won't find in every other sandbox third person shooter.

I died the first 10 times I jumped because I couldn't figure out how to pilot parachuting Rico onto the landing spot on top of a mountain. This was incredibly frustrating, which is not the emotion you want to give your player during the first minute of the game.

It does say press A to open parachute. That's it. Did you turn 180 and fly the opposite way or something? Don't be frustrated and blame the game if you can't follow simple instructions.

I might come across as a bit of a fanboy here. While I most certainly don't think that JC2 is TEH BEST GAEM EVAR, I think this review is way to negative and exaggerates on every little minuscule detail the writer did not approve.

If you have any interest in sandbox games, buy or rent JC2 for one single reason.
It's just really fun to play. I mean really!

Umm..... this review is kinda bad.
You sound like one of those Gamespot losers who can't play a game and just dissects it for every fault.

I believe most people have already pointed out the things that were wrong with your review so I won't bother.

I can easily say this is one of the most entertaining sandbox games I've ever played, and it deserves at least an 8.5 out of 10.

I didn't like this game much, found it more frustrating than entertaining. I had the PC version, I found the controls quite annoying... you want to go an inch forward and the guy runs a mile, the combat was laughable with the compensatory auto lock-on, driving was beyond crap... slightest tap in any direction and your car/bike would do a full 90 degree turn, and above all the game was glitchy. Example, I was ordered to take down a Helicopter by getting in an AA gun in one mission, I got in the AA gun and it started jumping all over the place... I got out and the gun stopped jumping around and just started to float away! I never completed the game, I got frustrated with the driving during a Kidnap mission and the NPC's incredible stupidity... I died waiting on the bastard to get in the car with me which he simply refused to do. Rage uninstall.
Only good parts I took from the game was the thousands of uses for the grappling hook and the Helicopter controls/combat, graphics were also very nice. It could have been a much better game imo. I'd give it a generous 5/10.

sure you probably have a long way to go after you die, but to be fair it is VERY hard to die, especially as they got rid of insta-kill cars from the first game.

I disagree about the Hookshot thing, it's nothing like the hookshot.
Now Bionic Commandos arm, THAT I can see!

Travel solutions:
1. Drop in a Jet.
2. Extract and fast travel.
3. Have some fun on the way. Hijack people's cars and then grapple them to the back of it, or stunt jump on top of a moving car and then grapple other fast moving cars to the ground, or parachute slingshot your way there.

I cannot be bored of this game.
Missions aren't great.... but who cares. I don't even play them.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here