Zero Punctuation: Final Fantasy XIII

Pages PREV 1 . . . 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 NEXT

Isn't it clear enough already that Yahtzee isn't a serious critic? He's a comedian, people! He reviews games to entertain, and he will generalize, overlook, misinterpret, and hold prejudices if it makes the review funnier. You can't get mad at him for hyper-criticizing a game. That's his thing. Criticizing that would be like criticizing a car for driving places. That's what it does, and more importantly that's what it's designed to do.

(Maybe it's just me, but I actually find the videos where he attacks games I like to be the funniest sometimes)

Shut Up I Am! BWHAHAHA

I played about maybe up to 20 hours into this game maybe? When they finally let you go off the path for awhile it's nice, but still I stopped playing anyways. The battles just seemed to drag on too long from there.

batosai33:
what, no comment on how the characters names sound like spin-offs of captain planet? Snow, Lightning, Hope, by your powers combined, i am Lieutenant World!

Haha I definitely would have never thought of that. I have to give you applause for this it actually made me see the characters in a way that was enjoyable. Just the image of them all jumping in with their little rings raised proudly in the air as they summon a man creature with a hilariously corny theme song is priceless.

Swmystery:
Not acceptable to you, maybe. But that says nothing about it except that you didn't have the patience to stick with it. And even if it is, Yahtzee is paid (I assume) to review games. It is NOT too much to ask to have said reviewer play the entire game before posting up a lot of hate-filled bilge online. Some of his points are correct, but others are disingenous, and he'd know why had he finished it. The Escapist's other review of FFXIII is far more balanced and truthful, if less amusing then this.

Why is this? Because they bothered to actually stick with it and play the game to the end. Now, if you or I were doing it that might be a bit much to ask, but for a professional job it's lazy at best and shocking at worst. If a movie critic watched the first half an hour of a film and wrote his review based on that he'd be ridiculed, and rightly so. Same logic applies here.

I personally found the story easy to get a grip on, and I'm really not getting the hate on this Datalog business. The game is giving you more information then you need, for those who want to know more about the world and its characters, in an easy to find, simple, and completely optional format. What's not to like? It's not like you wouldn't understand anything if you didn't read them.

I finished the game. I even tried to make this fairly obvious by hinting at what happened at the ending within my post, you know, "lolcrystals". I went through most of the post-game, but didn't bother with all of it since Treasure Hunter would take way too long for my tastes. Having viewed the whole game and read all of the data logs, I can easily say the story is very bland and reeks too much like a drama for my tastes.

I digress, however, so to return to the point:

Datalogs are not an acceptable way to give story information for a video game. Let me be very clear about that; video game. Games are supposed to be interactive story telling, interactive meaning the player is involved with making it progress in a sensible fashion. I don't consider reading walls of text to be interactive.

You could compare datalogs to FMVs in other games, however, FMVs rarely account for 80% of the story in most other titles. You could also try to compare this to characters talking in other games, as that is reading text as well, but I don't have to pause the game and disconnect myself from it in order to do so. The game keeps flowing right along with the characters talking, something that doesn't occur with the datalogs.

Let me try to put this another way. In Metroid Prime, a great deal of the "story," came across by scanning objects and reading the information related to them. "Oh! That's quite similar to this!" you might add. It is not, however. In the Prime games, this was relevant to the story, it fit. Her suit scanned and analyzed the object, spit out data, and we read Samus' thoughts on that data. It fit the gameplay, it fit the universe.

In FFXIII, we are given a magical journal to neatly summarize everything that's occurred. A journal which is never made reference to in gameplay, it just 'exists.' This does not fit the gameplay, it is not gameplay. It is a book within a game. I do not find this acceptable. Hell, even in Kingdom Hearts, the journal that helped explain story data fit because Jiminy Cricket was right alongside you writing it.

Swmystery:

Any evidence to back up this blanket statement? Or are you saying "I didn't like them, so they sucked!"? Sazh is the best character, I agree, but I liked Snow, Fang, and Lightning personally. Hope starts off whiny but gets better over time, and even Vanille grows on the player. None of them are terrible, and all of them go through character development provided you don't abandon the game. None of them are perfectly likeable, but that's realistic. If I ever met Snow, I'd probably punch him too, but that doesn't mean he's a terrible character- quite the opposite. Realism is part of what makes a good character.

Snow spends the entire game, minus about 3 minutes of bawwwing, with a puffed out chest trying to act like, "the hero." It gets tiresome within the first few minutes of seeing it, and never goes away.

I simply hate Fang. I can't quite pin down why, but basically everything about her just makes me want to choke her. She just gets under my skin for some reason.

Lightning is a stubborn, blind asshole of a character for the first quarter of the game, which immediately detracted a lot of points from her. "Oh, but she'll get better later!" She never really does. She loses the blind part after Odin, but she still remains a stubborn asshole for the most part.

Vanille... Vanille ... Vanille. I ... cannot stand her voice. Beyond that, she's way too cheerful. "No no, but she's just masking her real emotions with that!" Ok. So? Forced or not, she has way too much of a bubbly attitude. Combined with her voice making me annoyed, I just could not ever like her.

Don't even get me started on Hope. Just ... ugh.

Swmystery:

One, I am not a regular on here. Two, I have read other reviews, and though most of them do point out some of the same flaws that ZP does, most of them at least go to the effort to point out the good parts, too. That's part of what makes a critic as opposed to simply someone who plays a bit of the game and declares it terrible- which is, ironically, exactly what ZP's done here. I'm not saying some of these complaints aren't valid, because they are. I'm saying the review is lazy and because of that it paints an misleading picture of how bad the game is. Again, he stuck with Heavy Rain despite being even more disconnected from the game then with FFXIII, and was able to point out that getting better over time was a redeeming point. The exact same is true of FFXIII, but he doesn't do the same here because he's not given it a fair review.

I can agree it paints a misleading picture and even basically stated so. I'm not entirely sure why you had to post this. I very clearly stated he is biased against JRPGs, and that you should read other reviews. Regardless what else I posted, that alone is all you needed to know about his video.

I still loved how he killed Vanille. I hope he does it more.

Regiment:
Isn't it clear enough already that Yahtzee isn't a serious critic? He's a comedian, people! He reviews games to entertain, and he will generalize, overlook, misinterpret, and hold prejudices if it makes the review funnier. You can't get mad at him for hyper-criticizing a game. That's his thing. Criticizing that would be like criticizing a car for driving places. That's what it does, and more importantly that's what it's designed to do.

(Maybe it's just me, but I actually find the videos where he attacks games I like to be the funniest sometimes)

He states in the video that he is a professional when it comes to reviewing, but the way he gave it, is very unprofessional. Reviews aren't supposed to be made funny, they are supposed to contain fact and opinion about the game.

'No matter What, there is always good and always bad about something. There is no denying it. In the end, it is all personal opinion.'

I agree to the extent that 'At least she's trying her best!' is 'something good'. Bad writing is still bad writing. Poor grasp of dramatic structure, unwieldy exposition, can combine to create a bad narrative experience.

There is such a thing as being just... bad. Most of that is relative. Twilight would be amazing if it were the only book on earth.

'I have read other reviews, and though most of them do point out some of the same flaws that ZP does, most of them at least go to the effort to point out the good parts, too. That's part of what makes a critic...'

A critic's job is to convey to his audience whether or not THEY will enjoy the product. Yahtzee himself has stated, however, that ZP is not about hearing what is good about a game. His reviews do not exist in a void, they fill a very specific (and popular) niche. Claims to objectivity need not apply.

ragnawind:

Regiment:

He states in the video that he is a professional when it comes to reviewing, but the way he gave it, is very unprofessional. Reviews aren't supposed to be made funny, they are supposed to contain fact and opinion about the game.

I think your dissonance stems from being used to having reviewers treat games with kid gloves. 'The writing isn't the best but the graphics are really pretty!'

When you say 'Reviews aren't supposed to be made funny', what I'm getting is that you don't like how Yahtzee focuses on tearing games a new one for the sake of humor. The thing is that style is entirely personal and extremely subjective. Even in a traditional style review the tone of voice can be utterly different across different writers. See Eurogamer or Rockpapershotgun for good examples of quirk.

As I said earlier, Zero Punctuation does not exist in a void. The traditional reviews still exist. He's part of the criticism landscape. I've read reviews, Roger Ebert's E.T. review comes to mind, based entirely on a conceit. In the case of the E.T. review, it was in the form of a letter to his niece. Shortest movie review in history, for the film Isn't it Romantic? 'No.'

Yahtzee does give 'fact and opinion' about his review subjects. He states the facts (It's Final Fantasy, with all the connotations that brings) as well as his opinion (it sucks, I didn't bother). You're of course free to disagree with them and of course free to enjoy whatever games you want. If you genuinely had fun with FF13, good for you. Your life was enriched by a videogame, how is this a bad thing?

ragnawind:

Regiment:

It's a joke! It's sarcasm! It's a comedy video! It shouldn't be taken seriously! It's possibly one valid argument swimming in a five minute sea of insults!

That's what he is: an insult comic. Not a reviewer, not a serious critic, not a salmon, but an insult comic.

As someone who loves Final Fantasy XIII and can't wait to go back and complete all the side missions on Gran Pulse, I still found Yahtzee's review funny. Do you people actually look at him as a credible review source? He's a comedian, first and foremost, as far as I've seen. I can't believe people are actually getting upset about this. So he didn't like it and didn't finish it? Is the world going to end? There are a lot of games I love that he hated. I still watch his stuff. The guy's funny. Stop taking everything so seriously.

I thought the video was pretty funny, but it isn't right to destroy a game in a so-called review. Some people don't actually realize that it is meant to be funny and not to be taken seriously. It shouldn't even be called a review at all. Also, you shouldn't even try to make a review for something you don't even like, even if it isn't meant to be a review at all, but has it labeled as a review.

All one has to do is just check out any of his other reviews to see what his shtick is. This isn't misleading anyone. And even if they think of him as a real reviewer, why should it matter to people what he says if they love the game already? I absolutely hated Final Fantasy XII and every critic out there got an erection from it. Didn't change my life any. I absolutely love Godhand. Go check out the Metacritic scores for that. Didn't change my opinion any.

Personally, I think XIII is the best of the series, but if someone disagrees, that's their right. If someone wants to write a comical review of it, that's also their right. All you have to do is check out some of his other reviews. Eventually, you should get the joke.

I didn't realize people took Yahtzee's reviews quite so seriously, especially because he comically dislikes games for a living to begin with.

I feel exactly the same way about Final Fantasy games. I was in love with 1, 2/4 and 3/6 ... 7 was OK ... and fuck the rest. End of story!

richtaur:
I feel exactly the same way about Final Fantasy games. I was in love with 1, 2/4 and 3/6 ... 7 was OK ... and fuck the rest. End of story!

i like 1 10 12 and 13 haven't been able to find or play the others

I've played FFXIII for over thirty hours now, I'm on the third disc, and quite frankly, I'm STILL waiting for it to get good.

Kwatsu:
I've played FFXIII for over thirty hours now, I'm on the third disc, and quite frankly, I'm STILL waiting for it to get good.

you must not be a jrpg fan so move on

tony2077:

richtaur:

Then you have not played a real FF game. Ever since FF10, the series have gone downhill. Once you play (at least) FF 5,6,7,8 you will understand why there is so much hate towards the 13th installment.

Tetranitrophenol:

tony2077:

richtaur:

Then you have not played a real FF game. Ever since FF10, the series have gone downhill. Once you play (at least) FF 5,6,7,8 you will understand why there is so much hate towards the 13th installment.

so what i will still like what i like playing more games in the series won't change that

You guys have no right to be upset that he reviewed the game after playing for only 5 hours when HE OPENLY ADMITTED THAT HE ONLY PLAYED THE GAME FOR 5 HOURS. And for the record, I am an RPG fan and after about the 40th hour I gave up on this game resembling even the shadow of the worst that final fantasy has previously offered. No exploration, no customization, no choices about where to go or what to do, no towns to visit, no extraneous things to discover, and the story was delivered via a journal dump. This is the worst excuse of a JRPG I have ever played.

tony2077:

Tetranitrophenol:

tony2077:

richtaur:

so what i will still like what i like playing more games in the series won't change that

Picture this; you eat potato chips that you get from a vending machine for 65 cents, obviously you like them and you cant understand why people say they are bad, I mean, you taste them and think they are good! whats wrong with them??. However, later on, you go to a 5 star restaurant and buy a delicious stake dinner, and suddenly you realize; hey, this is waaaay better than those cheap potato chips I used to eat!.

FF10,12,13 are the cheap potato chips, most young players have been introduced to the series with these installments, so, there is no wonder in them thinking these are good. But, it is not until they try the succulent stake dinner that were the previous installments that they will realize FF10,12,13 are bland, mostly concerned about looking good rather than being good.
It is still Final Fantasy and they have points in their favor but they will never live up to their predecessors.

I was going to buy this game when it came out, and then i found a demo in the shop. Played it for about five minutes. Got bored. Bought Dante's Inferno instead.

AcacianLeaves:
You guys have no right to be upset that he reviewed the game after playing for only 5 hours when HE OPENLY ADMITTED THAT HE ONLY PLAYED THE GAME FOR 5 HOURS. And for the record, I am an RPG fan and after about the 40th hour I gave up on this game resembling even the shadow of the worst that final fantasy has previously offered. No exploration, no customization, no choices about where to go or what to do, no towns to visit, no extraneous things to discover, and the story was delivered via a journal dump. This is the worst excuse of a JRPG I have ever played.

When you get to the 13th game in a main series (thats disregarding all of the spinoffs and whatnot) you can get away with stuff like that and still sell a helluva lot of games.

OT: Great review, congrats on lasting five hours, I barely lasted five minutes of that shitty combat system.

well sod it,i actually liked the games after VI, then again i'm one of those fucktards who actually like characters looking more human than maniquin and just because a game was good then doesnt make it good now, FFXIII was good as a game in the way it kept me amused for hours but once it's done it's done so all i can say is thank god for it having the crap kicked out of it

Tetranitrophenol:

tony2077:

Tetranitrophenol:

tony2077:

richtaur:

Picture this; you eat potato chips that you get from a vending machine for 65 cents, obviously you like them and you cant understand why people say they are bad, I mean, you taste them and think they are good! whats wrong with them??. However, later on, you go to a 5 star restaurant and buy a delicious stake dinner, and suddenly you realize; hey, this is waaaay better than those cheap potato chips I used to eat!.

FF10,12,13 are the cheap potato chips, most young players have been introduced to the series with these installments, so, there is no wonder in them thinking these are good. But, it is not until they try the succulent stake dinner that were the previous installments that they will realize FF10,12,13 are bland, mostly concerned about looking good rather than being good.
It is still Final Fantasy and they have points in their favor but they will never live up to their predecessors.

i like the games and just because you can't understand that you spout a bunch of bs so leave before you dig the hole your in any deeper then you already have

so you thought that yahtzee was ripping apart other games was unbiased? begone fanboy!

gareth_gobblecoque:
so you thought that yahtzee was ripping apart other games was unbiased? begone fanboy!

hmm?

tony2077:
i like the games and just because you can't understand that you spout a bunch of bs so leave before you dig the hole your in any deeper then you already have

Spout a bunch of bs? ha!
Sorry, didn't realized you were a fanboy, its all right tho, I mean if you want to dwell in the mediocrity of FF10,12 and 13 you can, you don't have to get all dramatic about it.

I DO see why you like and defend the games (even tho you shouldn't), since you haven't experienced what a Real Final Fantasy game is all about you think things don't get better than this.
Once you open up your mind to the possibility that they might actually not be as good as you led yourself to believe and decide to go and play some of the previous installments for a change, you will see the sheer contrast in story depth and complexity that the previous had and these latter ones so miserably lack.
But its ok, keep living out of the cheap potato chips you like so much.

Tetranitrophenol:

tony2077:

Spout a bunch of bs? ha!
Sorry, didn't realized you were a fanboy, its all right tho, I mean if you want to dwell in the mediocrity of FF10,11 and 12 you can, you don't have to get all dramatic about it.

I DO see why you like and defend the games (even tho you shouldn't), since you haven't experienced what a Real Final Fantasy game is all about you think things don't get better than this.
Once you open up your mind to the possibility that they might actually not be as good as you led yourself to believe and decide to go and play some of the previous installments for a change, you will see the sheer contrast in story depth and complexity that the previous had and these latter ones so miserably lack.

Uh, too bad you're the one coming off as an annoying fanboy. Seriously, just because you thought those games were mediocre in no way means your opinion is fact. He should be free to enjoy what he wants to without someone else telling him his tastes are sub-par. That's just obnoxious and unnecessary. Also to disprove your opinion I actually found the story and gameplay in all the FF "gems" you mentioned to be boring and groan worthy. Hell, I liked and finished none except for twelve and I don't care if you feel that's wrong you just need to accept OTHERS DON'T HAVE THE SAME TASTE AS YOU!

To me seven and eight? Those were freaking potato chips. So he likes thirteen and neither of us did. It doesn't matter at all. Games are all about enjoyment and if he's enjoying himself then the game has done its job.

Nocturnal Gentleman:

Tetranitrophenol:

tony2077:

Spout a bunch of bs? ha!
Sorry, didn't realized you were a fanboy, its all right tho, I mean if you want to dwell in the mediocrity of FF10,11 and 12 you can, you don't have to get all dramatic about it.

Uh, too bad you're the one coming off as an annoying fanboy. Seriously, just because you thought those games were mediocre in no way means your opinion is fact. He should be free to enjoy what he wants to without someone else telling him his tastes are sub-par. That's just obnoxious and unnecessary. Also to disprove your opinion I actually found the story and gameplay in all the FF "gems" you mentioned to be boring and groan worthy. Hell, I liked and finished none except for twelve and I don't care if you feel that's wrong you just need to accept OTHERS DON'T HAVE THE SAME TASTE AS YOU!

To me seven and eight? Those were freaking potato chips. So he likes thirteen and neither of us did. It doesn't matter at all. Games are all about enjoyment and if he's enjoying himself then the game has done its job.

i like defending games i like from people who don't seem to understand that people have different opinions which the person that posted before doesn't seem to understand and i would play the other ones if i could bloody find them on a system i have which to be honest i don't think that will ever happen. i forgot to mention i have the psp ff7 game and the movie for it but haven't come across a place where i can get the main part of it no credit card makes it difficult

Nocturnal Gentleman:

huh? U his mom or something?

Im not saying that FF10,12 and 13 are bad just because I say so, they are bad because they don't live to what a real FF game is. Thus I invite him to see for himself how these games suck badly when compared to the originals, nothing fanboish about that, more like trolling to me.
If he doesn't want people telling him that his tastes are "Sup-par" then he shouldn't be watching Zero Punctuation since that is pretty much a trademark of the whole thing.

Finally, you say you haven't finished or even liked any FF game except for 12 despite of playing them all... well, that sounds a bit extreme dosent it? I mean you play 1 didn't like it, 2 didn't liked it, 3 didn't liked it and so on until you reach 12... hard to believe IMO.

Dr_Steve_Brule:
Look at this review-
http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/04/03/vlog-4-3-10/
This guy played 15 HOURS OF THIS, and guess what? It's still shit.
I'm sorry, but saying "it gets better after 15 hours" just doesn't work here.

I would place about as much trust in Spoony's review as I would Yahtzee.
So no dice.

s69-5:

Dr_Steve_Brule:
Look at this review-
http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/04/03/vlog-4-3-10/
This guy played 15 HOURS OF THIS, and guess what? It's still shit.
I'm sorry, but saying "it gets better after 15 hours" just doesn't work here.

I would place about as much trust in Spoony's review as I would Yahtzee.
So no dice.

Hey. Hey. Not cool. Did you actually watch the review? He said he wanted to like it and was pretty forgiving with the characters. He's a lot more unbiased than Yahzee, lovable as he is.

Tetranitrophenol:

Nocturnal Gentleman:

huh? U his mom or something?

Im not saying that FF10,12 and 13 are bad just because I say so, they are bad because they don't live to what a real FF game is. Thus I invite him to see for himself how these games suck badly when compared to the originals, nothing fanboish about that, more like trolling to me.
If he doesn't want people telling him that his tastes are "Sup-par" then he shouldn't be watching Zero Punctuation since that is pretty much a trademark of the whole thing.

Finally, you haven't finished any FF game except for 12 (said so yourself) how can you state that 7 & 8 were the bad ones? since you are in the same position as the kid, go play and finish earlier Final Fantasy installments first, then try and be heroic.

Why do you feel like just because I said I didn't finish the games means I pretty much gave up on it near the beginning? When I drop a game like final fantasy it can be anywhere from about 15 hours in to 40 or more. I damn near played both to the end but then lost interest and didn't beat them. Also, no I'm not going back to playing something I felt sucked. That makes no sense and I would probably only dislike them even more now.

Also there is no "real FF game". I treat all the games like stand alone games not like anything that has to adhere to traits of previous games. To me seven through nine bored me and I would not hold them up as the high points of the series. While I don't feel like six is the best rpg out there I can agree that it is one of the better of the series. Still doesn't change the fact I like twelve more.

Also watching zero punctuation does not show people what games are the paramount of taste and which ones aren't. I like some of the games ZP holds highly and also have enjoyed ones that were torn apart. Doesn't mean I have no taste just that they're different. I just watch ZP for the laughs which was what I thought was the purpose all along.

Also, by saying I sound like some mother like figure that means you've been coming off as a childish jerk spouting nonsense. You know it is very possible to say you don't like this game or those games without feeling the need to insult those who enjoyed them. You think all the FFs previous to ten were amazing. I don't. Why does it matter?

Don't try to change my opinions on what's good and what isn't because you will fail from the start. I will play what I like, and you will play what you like. That's all it comes down to and all that matters.

tony2077:
i like defending games i like from people who don't seem to understand that people have different opinions which the person that posted before doesn't seem to understand and i would play the other ones if i could bloody find them on a system i have which to be honest i don't think that will ever happen. i forgot to mention i have the psp ff7 game and the movie for it but haven't come across a place where i can get the main part of it no credit card makes it difficult

I'm sorry then I never meant to take away your fun. I just can't stand when people think that what they find important to a game is more fundamental to the experience then what someone else thinks is important. Also if you really want to find the games and try them out I would recommend trying to find a pawn shop holding older games and systems. I found some of my favorite ps games at a local out of the way shop that would have been damn near impossible to buy online because of rarity or price. Though I don't know if there are places like that near you so that was probably useless advice.

You could also look at getting the games on the system emulators but I'm not really sure how or where to do that safely especially with ps games. I only have emulators for snes and gameboy color since my brother put those on my computer. Maybe pursuing this advice may be a little more helpful I'm not sure. Since you really want to try them out I hope I've helped. You'll probably like them more than I did since you enjoyed several final fantasy games already.

Nocturnal Gentleman:

I'm sorry then I never meant to take away your fun. I just can't stand when people think that what they find important to a game is more fundamental to the experience then what someone else thinks is important. Also if you really want to find the games and try them out I would recommend trying to find a pawn shop holding older games and systems. I found some of my favorite ps games at a local out of the way shop that would have been damn near impossible to buy online because of rarity or price. Though I don't know if there are places like that near you so that was probably useless advice.

You could also look at getting the games on the system emulators but I'm not really sure how or where to do that safely especially with ps games. I only have emulators for snes and gameboy color since my brother put those on my computer. Maybe pursuing this advice may be a little more helpful I'm not sure. Since you really want to try them out I hope I've helped. You'll probably like them more than I did since you enjoyed several final fantasy games already.[/quote] i know about those i just thought it'd be nice to do it legally

Pages PREV 1 . . . 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here