Escape to the Movies: Clash of the Titans

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Clash of the Titans

This week MovieBob takes a look at Clash of the Titans.

Watch Video

Ha, good review! Cheers

good review I guess, you seemed rather happy this...evening/morning

I hadn't heard of the movie until the release the kraken thread the other day but i probably won't be rushing out to see it.

I'm not sold on the whole 3D thing, when I saw Avatar it hurt my eyes at times because if you weren't looking at the right point on the screen it was all out of focus! I think I need to see a film in both to make up my mind though!

I might check this movie out, but it probably won't be coming out over here for many months yet!

great review bob keep it up!
too bad i was thinking this was going to be better. would've been better if it was longer but i still think i'll go see it.

Damn the Bob I still can't make my mind up about weather I should see this film! I'm probly gunna wait for it to come on DVD.

Well i guess i have to see it now since Bob's reviewed it.

Cool monsters, lots of action, barebones character development. About on par with the original except with better special effects. I'm in! Figure it is a good popcorn flick.

Huh... Now see I went to see this with my mom who saw the original (actually as I recall she was a theater manager when the original movie came out so she's probably seen it more than anyone else here who doesn't own it and doesn't suffer from some form of obsessive compulsiveness) and she says that in terms of quality, this new Clash of the Titans is pretty much the same, the only exception being the part where they can Bubo, which in her eyes made it at least a slight bit better. Now as for my own opinion, as someone who has never seen the original, but has rather had to hang on his mothers word regarding the subject, I don't know as though this movie is necessarily a downgrade of the original, granted I didn't walk out of the theater with any pronounced sense of satisfaction, but from what I've heard, neither would I have if I saw Ray Harryhausen's (or however that's spelled) original work. However I will say though that the movie's biggest damn offence is the fact that whoever it was that directed it can't direct action. Seriously this movie is fucking plagued by that Michael-Bay-Cam bullshit.
#EDIT

benjtfell:
Damn the Bob I still can't make my mind up about weather I should see this film! I'm probly gunna wait for it to come on DVD.

Whatever you do don't go see it in 3D, it will make you eyeballs explode... and not in the awesome way.

Looking at the review, it seems safe to assume that this movie is good for a bit of ecapism. Plus playing God of War 3 has put me in the mood for some mindless Greek legend violence.

Great review. Don't think I'll see this one.

You can't really say that he's THE illegitimate son of Zues, since Zues' police was basically to impregnate just about anything that moved (more often than not, looking something other than himself).
Also, I didn't actually expect this to be good from the trailers (to me it looked like it was going to be 90% action and 10% weak story), but it looks like it could actually serve as a popcorn flick.

Nice review, but correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the Krackin look ripped off. Looks as though they ripped off Gears of War design. The only reason why I probably won't see the movie is that it looks too much like a video game. Where I might enjoy it only if I was playing it. From the review giving sounds like that was the case with only the main character getting fleshed out while others aren't.

A rather averge film for me, saw it this morning/early afternoon. Lots of mythical changes that annoyed my girl friend to no end.

I went with unusual high hopes though, a name like "Clash of the Titans" and rather good trailers made me go in wanting a epic film, but it's average, feels short and as such it's just OK.

I'm getting dragged to this film by my mates who like films like Transformers.

So i guess i might not like it that much.

... Where the hell does a giant scorpion fit into ancient Greek lore? I understand the giant crab that attacked Hercules, but never ran across a mention of any scorpions?

Did'nt really seem to be a review of the actual movie until the last minute or so, oh well, im going into the movie expecting to see giant monster action and nothing else

I work at a cinema and saw a staff screening of this last night, I thought it was terrible, i wouldn't of been surprised if the manager had come out and said 'April fool'. the only enjoyment i got, as all British people will, was the city of Argos unfortunately sharing its name with a high-street shop. i got some giggles from "I am king of Argos" etc.

hurricanejbb:
... Where the hell does a giant scorpion fit into ancient Greek lore? I understand the giant crab that attacked Hercules, but never ran across a mention of any scorpions?

I'd assume they came from Medusa. In a lot of the myths (or at least the original Clash,) her blood would spawn scorpions.

Interesting review. The "meh" reviews across the board mean that at most, I might see this in a cheap theater if I can find some friends to go with. And Bob's still wrong about the new Chocolate Factory. :)

So it basically comes out to be a "see for the monsters at a mantinee, and never think about it again," kind of film. It ain't going to hurt you much if you see it or miss it. It seams so OK that nobody is really going to remember it three months from now anyway, except the studio who will be swimming in money for it being the only summer block busterish film out right now.

hurricanejbb:

Well there is a myth in which Apollo sends a giant scorpion (who became Scorpio the constellation) to kill Orion so I guess that's where they got it from

Adaephon:

Well there is a myth in which Apollo sends a giant scorpion (who became Scorpio the constellation) to kill Orion so I guess that's where they got it from

Thanks. I completely forgot about that.

I was expecting a comparison to God of War, but I digress.

As for your views on Greek Drama, Bob, I have to disagree. Destiny is always a nice stand-in for the Gods or God when a man is not controlled by his own will. After all, Hamlet spent half the play debating whether it was his place to enact vengeance or God's, and if he really had any free will in the matter. The Star Wars series has a very strong destiny theme running and if Georgie would've worked it well, Revenge of the Sith would've been a compelling look at how destiny can also work for evil.

It's not so much that the idea of one man's will being subject to a higher power CAN'T work in modern-day cinema, it's just all in how you work it.

If it has big monsters in it, that's all I give a damn about. For once in my life, I only want to see a movie for the special effects. It's too bad it's lacking all the other stuff, but I had absolutely no expectations for this flick beyond seeing mortals battling giant scorpions, kraken, and other insane shit. I'll be too fucked up when I see it to know the difference between cheesy melodrama and Legendary Pictures' trademark 'too-hard-ass-to-be-emotional' brand of drama anyway.

Also, did anyone else expect this movie to be about Zynga vs. Valve? Sam Worthington as Zynga, the Kraken as Valve, and Zeus as all of us escapists who are completely flabbergasted by our monster's defeat? MM humor, anyone?

I was wondering about the scorpions as well, but that is already answered :)
However, I never quite got what the kraken is doing in greece. Isn't he supposed to be stalking vikings in Norse myth?

viking97:
great review bob keep it up!
too bad i was thinking this was going to be better. would've been better if it was longer but i still think i'll go see it.

Same, despite the shrot coming it still seems to have enough to keep me entertained at least...

wildcard9:

It's not so much that the idea of one man's will being subject to a higher power CAN'T work in modern-day cinema, it's just all in how you work it.

Well the thing is today's society isn't exactly as God fearing as they use to be, and when it comes to story. The audience wants their protagonist empowered to where they can take on anything, hence why you have a game like God of War with a mortal as the lead given the chance to kill a God.

Today's audience wants that sense of empowerment in their fantasized alter egos, and the only time I've seen it different have been in Lovecraft-esque horror movies.

Maybe if they were to threat this subject matter similar they might just make it work for today's audience while still being respectful to the source material...and even then the audience would still expect a Hollywood ending...>>

SO basically atheism works as long as it's against Greek and Roman deities. FECKIN ORESUM!

IRL we're not supposed to worship gods, we're supposed to worship larger-than-life heroes. Who, in the movies, are all sons of the gods...is atheism just trying to get me to worship Jesus so long as he impales Zeus or Yahweh or whoever? Because that's the impression I'm getting.

Chesterton was right:

It is the contention of these pages that while the best judge of Christianity is a Christian, the next best judge would be something more like a Confucian. The worst judge of all is the man now most ready with his judgements; the ill-educated Christian turning gradually into the ill-tempered agnostic, entangled in the end of a feud of which he never understood the beginning, blighted with a sort of hereditary boredom with he knows not what, and already weary of hearing what he has never heard. He does not judge Christianity calmly as a Confucian would; he does not judge it as he would judge Confucianism. He cannot by an effort of fancy set the Catholic Church thousands of miles away in strange skies of morning and judge it as impartially as a Chinese pagoda. It is said that the great St. Francis Xavier, who very nearly succeeded in setting up the Church there as a tower overtopping all pagodas, failed partly because his followers were accused by their fellow missionaries of representing the Twelve Apostles with the garb or attributes of Chinamen. But it would be far better to see them as Chinamen, and judge them fairly as Chinamen, than to see them as featureless idols merely made to be battered by iconoclasts; or rather as cockshies to be pelted by empty-handed cockneys. It would be better to see the whole thing as a remote Asiatic cult; the mitres of its bishops as the towering head dresses of mysterious bonzes; its pastoral staffs as the sticks twisted like serpents carried in some Asiatic procession; to see the prayer book as fantastic as the prayer-wheel and the Cross as crooked as the Swastika. Then at least we should not lose our temper as some of the sceptical critics seem to lose their temper, not to mention their wits. Their anti-clericalism has become an atmosphere, an atmosphere of negation and hostility from which they cannot escape. Compared with that, it would be better to see the whole thing as something belonging to another continent, or to another planet. It would be more philosophical to stare indifferently at bonzes than to be perpetually and pointlessly grumbling at bishops. It would be better to walk past a church as if it were a pagoda than to stand permanently in the porch, impotent either to go inside and help or to go outside and forget. For those in whom a mere reaction has thus become an obsession, I do seriously recommend the imaginative effort of conceiving the Twelve Apostles as Chinamen. In other words, I recommend these critics to try to do as much justice to Christian saints as if they were Pagan sages.

Instead, every Greek and Roman myth is going to be culturally imperialized into a Western Christian-atheist feud, with all players serving as stand-ins for whatever strawman the most-funded moviemaker can remember. You can't learn anything new or surprising that you've forgotten from such films.

Biggest reason I got into and continue to inhabit the whole Japanese anime and videogame fandom is that at least they aren't that stupid about the religions they make stories out of. There's an even chance that they'll at least have a knowledge of the nature of man, or woman, or even deity. I was kind of excited about The Manga Bible until I realized that it was less Japanese than 300-style Frank Miller, and made by a Brit. Writing was actually both orthodox and pretty good, artwork...no, not so much.

Now if the manga Bible was written in a serialized format, used Kentaro Miura as the artist and a few good conservative top tier seminary grad students as the writer (Or this guy,) and was comparable in volume to the Akira behemoth, then yes, I'd be all over that.

You know, I feel like I've seen this movie even though I haven't. Maybe it's because I just finished God of War 3?

He started sounding like the AVGN there by the end, I have also heard it's not as good as the original but I'll still go see it

I... I'm not sure it counts as atheism when you're trying to kill/rebel against literal gods you believe in.

It's not that we atheists don't like gods, the heart of the matter is we believe them to be fictional. Any movie dealing with interaction between man and "real" gods has very little to do with atheism - you can't disbelieve the presence of a thing you're trying to kill.

Despite what your preacher may tell you, atheists aren't looking to usurp the gods. We just think you're all silly.

I like his old timer voice. good review.
pretty much what I thought it would be, really wish it were better.

Huh, I would not have seen the movie as militant Atheism, but more like a God of War rip off.

About what I thought would happen, not as good as the original (but what is aside from the Resident Evil/Perfect Dark remakes >_>, oh I thought the American remake of Funny Games was nice too...), but still an enjoyable action movie with great special effects.

Kinda gettin sick of this 3D thing, I hate how companies and people just latch on to a fad and do it to death until they find something else.

Definitely going to see this.

What I would like to know is when it became standard practise for gorgons like Medusa to be portrayed with serpentine lower-halfs instead of legs. They're not lamias or nagas. Whenever Medusa, Euryale or Stheno are portrayed they had human bodies, just with added wings and a head with tusks and snake-hair. Yet now if its a gorgon it has to be snake from the waist down as well as the hairdo

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here