The Pocket Gamer Report: The Progress of Apple

The Pocket Gamer Report: The Progress of Apple

The iPhone paved the way for Apple to join the casual gaming handheld market, but can iPad make even more headway?

Read Full Article

The iPad... I heard about it months ago but didn't think much of it, only today after seeing it on the apple website I must admit I am pretty excited. Shame I probably won't have the funds to pay for it. :(

hmmmmm...

The only really big advantage I can think of for the new bigger iPad screen is that it'll make it easier to play RTS games...

Other than that, I really can't think of why bigger screen will mean better gameplay... heck, in many genre's it'll likely make it more clumsy to play, let alone easier.

Also, iPad apps are significantly pricier in many cases compared to their iPhone counterparts... though still not as much as your bog standard UMD or DS game, it does kinda take the edge of Apple's gaming price advantage.

It looks like it might be good but...its just too much, and too large I think.

I know I have see the meme's about, with it getting larger and larger but...For those who can afford it, I am sure they will love it

I heard you cannot multi-task on that thing. That's one big drawback for such price.

I'd be glad to try it out, but I don't desire to spend any € towards that device, sure it looks great and is a geek-gadget, but I'd place my bet on the new Iphone that will be pushed out. Apple sometimes is too arrogrant but their products are a refreshing change.

Pocket Gamer:
Even when dedicated iPad games do appear, will it have the raw appeal to suck in hardcore console gamers who have thus far managed to resist the allure of the iPhone?

I can tell you the answer to that right now, and it's no. At least not for this hardcore gamer.

I'll be interested in the iPad when Apple can make one that can survive David Letterman.

A friend of mine brought up a fairly good point- the iPad is great for tabletop games like Carcassonne and Settlers of Catan, where you'd otherwise have a bunch of pieces that could possibly get lost. But for PC- and console-centric gaming? I just don't see it happening. The iPad is far less portable than a DS or the like, and- if the iPhone is any indication- doesn't lend itself well to fine control.

Not just one but two of the employees at my local GameStop bought iPads on release day. They waited in line for the store open. Do they count as gamers?

Just sayin'.

Well, it looks like it would be very good for RTSs, but I'm not a big fan of the genre, so I don't really see much reason of buying one. Movies would also be easier to watch, but I don't usually watch movies when I'm on the go anyways, so that's not much of a reason for me to buy it either.

Honestly, I thought it was a lot bigger than this. I'm actually very disappointed because this looks just big enough to make it incredibly inconvenient to carry around; I thought it was a lot bigger and therefore could see it as a great way to play boardgames and the like with friends without actually having to have the game. As it is now, I can't really see much reason to buy it, but Apple always manages to polish its products to a glossy shine, so I'm sure they have something good planned for it.

I suppose it is just me, but I find it a bit ridiculous that Apple would invest so heavily in a device that is basically an oversized IPhone for playing video games. If this were truly their intention from the start, then why not just make an IPhone that just played games? Oh wait... that IS what the IPad is. Damn.

Fundamentally, this toy is just a big IPhone for games. Hmmm... maybe someone can explain to me again why people just don't use a regular computer for that purpose?

But this makes me wonder just how many computers the average household has these days thanks to Apple. Everyone who has an IPod needs a computer to download updates and songs, and I'll guess that some people will want to connect their IPad to their computer to save time on downloading their favorite apps from their home computer... so why not just stick with the home computer instead of needing what is essentially a $900 Gameboy? If you already have an IPhone, you can play the same games, apparently cheaper.
Or is the next incarnation of the IPhone going to have an HDMI output on it for an TV, bypassing the need for an IPad?

I find some of the opinions and views of gamers so funny and lopsided. The iPad is not built as a gaming device that does some light-weight computing. It's built as a light-weight computing device that is capable of some gaming. I would not expect a device such as this to ever replace the desktop computer or the home-console for gaming, and that really is not its intent. Whether it is a device you will invest in remains your own decision based on your own needs, preferences, life-style, and what you can afford.

(I find the jihads of gamers and geeks over tech-toys and games most hilarious at times. You would think some of them never passed the emotional age of 5 to realize that different people like different things and have different uses and needs for different things, and that this is, in fact, an okay thing. Also, it not necessary to buy every piece of tech and gaming that comes out. You can live without some stuff.)

Each device, iPhone, iPad, desktop, gaming-console, hand-held gaming device, is designed for a particular purpose and mode of operation. They support different levels of capability, portability, convenience, and usability as well as different user workflows for different situations. True, there is some overlap between these devices, but that is to be expected with technology. However, different technology is designed to be a better fit for particular circumstances than other technology; there is no singular device that fits every situation perfectly well. The only real area of competition between these devices is that people only have just so much money to spend. In this regard, people must make a choice of trade-offs between how much they can afford and which devices most suit their needs and lifestyle.

As far as comparisons to saying it is a big iPhone, there is some merit to this comparison. However, the comparison to the iPhone is an over-simplification as it ignores the changes in user workflow that come with the bigger screen. Some applications that are tedious or difficult to use on the smaller screen of the iPhone could become quite facile when built for the larger screen of the iPad. For example, which would you rather try to read an e-book on, the iPhone screen or the iPad screen?

As for myself, I'm quite interested in the iPad, but not as a portable gaming device. Rather, I'm more interested in its other potential uses; these are uses that are more cumbersome to execute on an iPhone(which I do have) and for which my laptop and desktop are too much overkill in terms of size and power, not to mention, unwieldy.

geizr:
I find some of the opinions and views of gamers so funny and lopsided. The iPad is not built as a gaming device that does some light-weight computing. It's built as a light-weight computing device that is capable of some gaming. I would not expect a device such as this to ever replace the desktop computer or the home-console for gaming, and that really is not its intent. Whether it is a device you will invest in remains your own decision based on your own needs, preferences, life-style, and what you can afford.

(I find the jihads of gamers and geeks over tech-toys and games most hilarious at times. You would think some of them never passed the emotional age of 5 to realize that different people like different things and have different uses and needs for different things, and that this is, in fact, an okay thing. Also, it not necessary to buy every piece of tech and gaming that comes out. You can live without some stuff.)

Each device, iPhone, iPad, desktop, gaming-console, hand-held gaming device, is designed for a particular purpose and mode of operation. They support different levels of capability, portability, convenience, and usability as well as different user workflows for different situations. True, there is some overlap between these devices, but that is to be expected with technology. However, different technology is designed to be a better fit for particular circumstances than other technology; there is no singular device that fits every situation perfectly well. The only real area of competition between these devices is that people only have just so much money to spend. In this regard, people must make a choice of trade-offs between how much they can afford and which devices most suit their needs and lifestyle.

As far as comparisons to saying it is a big iPhone, there is some merit to this comparison. However, the comparison to the iPhone is an over-simplification as it ignores the changes in user workflow that come with the bigger screen. Some applications that are tedious or difficult to use on the smaller screen of the iPhone could become quite facile when built for the larger screen of the iPad. For example, which would you rather try to read an e-book on, the iPhone screen or the iPad screen?

As for myself, I'm quite interested in the iPad, but not as a portable gaming device. Rather, I'm more interested in its other potential uses; these are uses that are more cumbersome to execute on an iPhone(which I do have) and for which my laptop and desktop are too much overkill in terms of size and power, not to mention, unwieldy.

You have to admit that it IS a larger iTouch. Sure it has a bigger screen but for $400? That is truly the ONLY thing I can see with this.

There are just two major drawbacks to this device that will stop Apple taking a lead in any market share but cell phone.

No Flash
No Multitask

Cell phones are now coming out with multitasking and flash, HTC Desire for instance. If you like gaming, which this news is ALL about. The iPad will fail. People play games while at work, on the bus or between calls. I would hope they wouldn't be sitting at home playing games on this.

Games aren't good without buttons. The iPad has no buttons; any game you play would be painful. Even if they try to make them DS style, you need a stylus for good touchscreen controls.

I saw them try to play an FPS on it. Eugh.

I think the iPhone is just a "lets see how this goes" deal. It has no outstanding new tech, so it's not like Apple will lose anything on it. It's just a big R&D experiment. I don't think another iPad will appear soon. Also, why is apple trying to get into the portable gaming market this way? If they want a piece of the market, make an outright gaming platform. Not a giant iPhone with more power, bigger screen, minus the phone part, wannabe tablet PC.

xscoot:
Games aren't good without buttons. The iPad has no buttons; any game you play would be painful. Even if they try to make them DS style, you need a stylus for good touchscreen controls.

I saw them try to play an FPS on it. Eugh.

Great point. That would be funny to watch...or painful.

what? seriously? It's acctually being considered to target the gaming market either by apple themselves or others? what the hell..... the i phone is not a portable games device. its a phone. My phone has games on it, infact my first phone had snake on it. Does that mean it's in league with the gameboy?

casual gamers are not gamers, there is no similarity between the two whatsoever.

I played NOVA on my iPod Touch and it was much better than trying to play a FPS game in handheld consoles. The reason was that thanks to the multitouch screen i can actually look around with precision. This is the first time i can strafe and shoot an enemy in a portable device with ease. There *are* issues though but i think with time people will figure out ways around them and i think iPad might be better since your fingers won't hide as much screen as in iPod/iPhone.

My biggest issue with iPod/iPad/iPhone controls is that you don't have physical feedback. The virtual D-pads don't feel the same as real ones. On the other hand in most FPS games you can arrange the controls around as you feel more comfortable.

Having said the above, i think iPad is much more than a gaming device. Its a good ebook reader, especially for comics. Its a good alternative to Netbooks because its much easier to browse the net while you're not on your computer (the lack of Flash might be a concern, but most uses of Flash by average people is for videos and most video sites are making HTML5 versions of their video pages so they can be played in iPad). Its obviously not for people who spend most of their time in front of their computers and its not a replacement for one, except maybe for older people who cant or simply don't want to learn how to use a full operating system and just want to send and receive emails, maybe watch some youtube and browse the web a bit (all of them can be done easily in a iPad).

Also its the Doom 3 PDA:
(in a less industrial strength version)

Apple doesn't have a first-party developer for games on the iPhone nor the iPad.
That pretty much says how seriously Apple takes gaming and how little one should care for gaming on a a overpriced piece of slab hardware that is the iPad.

Apple isn't exactly known for internal software development and thus you will never have a Apple Gaming Studio who solely concentrates on new game IPs for the Apple hardware as a gaming device.
All the games that exist on the iPhone; and most likely the iPad are near amaturish small dumbed-down iterations that already exists on other console. The iPhone/iPad games will [u]NEVER[/U] match up to the quality of Nintendo or Sony or Microsoft for that very reason that Apple doesn't invest in first-party support for their hardware when it comes to gaming and Apples is going to be solely dependent on third-party development of games.

The only games that exist on the iPad are oversized games that have existed on the iPhone which in itself are superificial old small time-wasting games that have existed for decades.

Nobody took the iPhone as a serious gaming platform and that will not change with the iPad.
Like Ashens says: If you slab a bigger screen onto something it doesn't make it less poo

This is why the article is dumbdfounded because the Progress isn't made by Apple when it comes to gaming. It is ENTIRELY up to the third-party support of the system which is why the iPhone as a gaming device is often mentioned in-par with the Nokia N-Gage and the Gizmondo.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here