The Guide for New Tabletop Players

Pages PREV 1 2

Nice article. Mebbe next week beginners guide to rolling dice :D No really it confuses people. Try explaining Shadowrun to a beginner :D

LimaBravo:
Nice article. Mebbe next week beginners guide to rolling dice :D No really it confuses people. Try explaining Shadowrun to a beginner :D

One of my gaming friends suggested Shadowrun as a possible introductory game for my newbie co-worker. I fell off my chair laughing, but he was deadly serious. :o

Have seen these tabletop/role play games pop up every now and then but never really thought to try them.
People seem to enjoy them and have a lot of fun, so maybe one day I will have a go.

BobisOnlyBob:

You must've been bored. That or I'm just jaded with regard to LOLRANDUMB roleplaying. Too much World of Darkness for me.

I agree I typically hate Dipshit roleplayers in Table Top games, but it was just one of those days were you were feeling random.

They need a RPG social network site where you can meet people. I'd love to play D&D again. I haven't played in 14+ years. But I would jump on an opportunity to play.

Kojiro ftt:
They need a RPG social network site where you can meet people. I'd love to play D&D again. I haven't played in 14+ years. But I would jump on an opportunity to play.

I was in my local games shops today :D (zOMG Dragon Warriors in hardback thats awesome :D)

Amazon warrior:

LimaBravo:

One of my gaming friends suggested Shadowrun as a possible introductory game for my newbie co-worker. I fell off my chair laughing, but he was deadly serious. :o

One of my regular players wanted to GM Shadowrun so I says sure. We all sat down 5 of use with our expansive multi set dice bags. Within half an hour the GM had borrowed all the d6's out the set to make simple skill checks never mind combat. World Of Darkness does the same thing but with d10's :D

Its strange because WEG system (Mmm WEG Star Wars) used the same amount of dice but it just worked so much better.

Ahhh, I remember my first tabletop RPG game, Warhammer Fantasy.
I was a new member of the College group and some were playing Warhammer Fantasy. They were towards the end, I got to take over a character because the orgional player had left. We were sneaking up on a Chaos Ritual. To shorten things down a Greater Demon was summoned and we were forced to battle it. I managed to slash it with my short-sword at which point it bled, it bled angry purple bees!! Unfortunately the game got cut off soon after because we had to be out by ten o' clock. As I recall I dealt the killing blow.

Anyway, good article. Tabletop RPGs!

Oooooooo, is this going to be a one man show column or can anybody get naked and dance?

lol you also need a roleplaying group >:( which not everyone is so lucky i mean it sucks im in england and cant find one and its making me mad >:{

DaxStrife:
Great article for those who are starting to or thinking of getting into tabletop gaming.
Is it sad that I immediately looked at that picture of dice and thought, "Why is there no d8 and why are there two percentile die?"

LOL it's that stuff right there that chases me away.. Don't understand the dice thing at all. =\

I was actually hoping this would have covered that a bit.

snowfox:

DaxStrife:
Great article for those who are starting to or thinking of getting into tabletop gaming.
Is it sad that I immediately looked at that picture of dice and thought, "Why is there no d8 and why are there two percentile die?"

LOL it's that stuff right there that chases me away.. Don't understand the dice thing at all. =\

There was actually a recent article on the Escapist that covered dice in minute detail.. Lemme find it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/days-of-high-adventure/7125-Those-Funny-Dice

there we go.

Enjoy :)

Excellent advice, and keep up the column. It's been great.
I'm kind of a newbie. Me and my friends, well, we're pretty much all nerds/gamers/geeks. We decided to check out Dungeons And Dragons. We've only got together twice so far, may do so again next weekend... Anyway, none of us knew what we were doing, basically we'll probably restart next session, now that we know what we're doing lol. But I agree, mistakes are actually good. Apart from being hilarious memories, nothing could make me remember that damn feat giving me a +1 for damage roll until something was left standing with one health. Then, our DM reminded me about it lol.

Altorin:

snowfox:

DaxStrife:

There was actually a recent article on the Escapist that covered dice in minute detail.. Lemme find it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/days-of-high-adventure/7125-Those-Funny-Dice

there we go.

Enjoy :)

Ahh!! I must have missed this one, Thank you, :)

Now if only there were people in this town that actually had an interest in tabletop games that would want to give this a go =\

A great list of things to keep in mind and relate to new players. Thanks, Greg!

I know more about the technical aspect of the game than I've liked, yet I've never played a single game with another human being

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here