A Boy and His iPad

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

A Boy and His iPad

Ever wonder what goes through a Mac geek's mind as he opens some delicious new piece of Apple tech? Wonder no more.

Read Full Article

I am waiting for the Camera Version.

But I WILL get one....it has to have 3G though.

"My first task was typing. This device simply would not succeed if the input were not sound. To my delight it wasn't bad"

It wasnt bad? High praise indeed! I long for the days I can spend 500 on something that merely doesnt suck :)

It looks like a nice piece of kit but I still dont understand what I would do with it but then again I never had an Ipod either aso I guess I am not the target market.

Well written though

I does suck it does not have 3G and needs a WiFi network...I can see it will have some form of application, but, still not for me really

Huh, interesting so it appears my hunch was right that when it comes to dominating the tablet market less is more and closed OS is better than open OS.

That's the one thing that I never understood why tablet computers and windows mobile phones never really caught on until I saw the ipad and iphone. Consumers will only want to do with what they are given and when given the chance to do everything they really don't know what to use the computer for nevermind the more important part of a window or linux OS, how to take care of the computer.

Having the same OS where everything is emulated seems nice because of familiarity but when trying to move into an electronic device that is much more portable or smaller or require a different interface using that same OS won't work even if you do shrink the OS down. That is the edge of the ipad/iphone OS because the responsibility is taken out of the consumer's hand when it comes to maintenance aside from protecting the device from damage. There is no defrag or disk check just updates via itunes.

Greg let me play some Plants vs Zombies on it. Holy. Crap. So very, very awesome.

Pipotchi:
It wasnt bad? High praise indeed! I long for the days I can spend 500 on something that merely doesnt suck :)

Well, its what the entirety of the television market has become.

Apparently mediocrity is the future of everything.

Hopeless Bastard:

Pipotchi:

Well, its what the entirety of the television market has become.

Apparently mediocrity is the future of everything.

Truly! If you set your sights so low you dont even care if they are met then you can never be dissapointed.

On a side note that could be the new slogan for any number of companies

Apple - Mediocrity is the future

My Dad's recently become an Apple-bitch, beggining with an iPhone, then a MAC and with an iPad ordered.

Personally I lost interest when he told me they wanted to charge him 700 to put in another 4GB RAM when they built it for him.

I remain skeptical concerning the iPad (I want an iPhone and MAC's don't appeal to me - I'm a PC gamer after all) but I'll have a go on his nonetheless.

Pipotchi:
Apple - Mediocrity is the future

Apple - The future is mediocre

Steve Jobs: its ironic! GIVE ME YER MONEH

I'll admit it isn't totally useless when it does flash. I'd say roughly 10-15% of the Internet requires flash, while another 20-30% is heavily reliant on it (e.g. The Escapist). Not all that much, but enough to make it less than acceptable as an Internet device.

I'll stick to my itouch 3G for what that device is worth (which is a lot, I like using it for story ideas and music, photos of art to inspire) , if I really need a interface to work directly on I have my cintiq 12WX which actually has power behind it.

Woodsey:

Personally I lost interest when he told me they wanted to charge him 700 to put in another 4GB RAM when they built it for him.

Was that a typo? Surely it was. I mean, 70 is quite high for four gigs, right? Surely that's what you meant to type... RIGHT?!?

*Shaking Visibly* RIGHT!?!

Nimbus:

Woodsey:

Was that a typo? Surely it was. I mean, 70 is quite high for four gigs, right? Surely that's what you meant to type... RIGHT?!?

Seven hundred my friend. Seven hundred.

Pipotchi:

It's worth noting that I was referring to touchtyping, and that it wasn't as difficult to get comfortable with than I had expected overall. Two finger pecking is exceptional, using the same recognition I've grown to love on the iPhone. I just wanted to know that I'd ideally be able to type relatively quickly without looking at the keyboard if at all possible. I'm confident this will be the case in short order.

I hold everything I buy to high standards, and anyone will tell you that I frequently gripe about unacceptable crap. There are already things I have issues with in this Freshman device, but I didn't want to focus on the negative in the preliminary article, given the thing just came out of the box. I know the experience will get better in the next few days or weeks, and if they don't, I hope to address it in a followup.

Thanks very much for your compliments on the writing!

I wouldn't buy this if I had all the money in the world. For some reason I always viewed Apple "gadgets" as useless money grabbing products. No one really needs any of those. iPod was the only Apple product that made sense.

Woodsey:

Nimbus:

Woodsey:

Holy fucking Spaghetti-Monster... That's unbelievable! Since when is a 1000% markup acceptable?!

Nimbus:

Woodsey:

Nimbus:

Woodsey:

Holy fucking Spaghetti-Monster... That's unbelievable! Since when is a 1000% markup acceptable?!

It's a well known fact that you always buy the smallest amount of RAM from Apple and upgrade it yourself. Apple's RAM prices have never made any sense.

Eh, hooray for Apple fanboys? Excuse me if a positive review from a self-acknowledged Mac geek doesn't sway my opinion on Apple's latest moneymaker.

I love the iPod and iPhone, but I still don't see a single reason why I'd want an iPad. Or why anyone would want it, to be honest (apart from ZOMG IT'S FROM APPLE IF I BUY THIS I WILL HAVE 10% MORE COOLNESS POINTS).

Not sure on what niche the ipad is going for, if I want to go mobile and do stuff, I'd use my old Blackberry or the iphone, if I want to watch a movie, I'd use my main system or ps3, if I want to read, I'd buy a book, music would be again the main system or the iphone (which needs the main system to import the playlist).

The only way an ipad could overcome all these things is if I didn't own any of them, and I have read there are a few problems that would annoy the heck out of me too much to bother with it for too long, maybe even a mass recall for the Wi-Fi problems.

Just an ipod thats bigger and faster in internet and has same apps and maybe some new ones i think it is a dumb idea who would want to carry that around get a mini notebook or watever instead

Eh, I stopped desiring Apple products around the time I discovered that they oppose the GNU General Public License and open source software.

As you said, Linux OS's have started trying to look and act more like Windows, but that's more because the Windows interface is intuitive for most (pardon the term) computer illiterate people. You can easily configure the GUI to act like a Mac, if that's what you're comfortable with (for instance, I use the little bar at the bottom of the screen, because it's easier than the tiny-ass "Quick-Start Bar" in XP). The only reason to own an OS you have had to pay for anymore is to play video games...and the instant Steam is Ubuntu-compatible, I'm deleting everything Windows related on my computer.

Nonetheless, I wish you all happiness out of your new implement/toy/whatever you choose to call it. Lord knows I enjoy the hell out of my implements/toys/whatevers. :D

My main issue, beyond all the technical shortcomings and limitations unique to Apple's device, is that the tablet itself is a less than useful concept. What you're producing when you make one is essentially a fancy electronic clipboard. In science fiction, we think it's really cool when all the engineers walk around carrying those instead of boring generic clipboards - it lets us know we're in the future!

But think about it: how often do you see people just walking around with clipboards outside of an office environment (or increasingly enough inside one for that matter)? This is my big problem with tablets - they're too large to be conveniently portable and yet too small to warrant the usual full pack treatment we give systems that are actually not all that much larger and yet way the hell more functional than the fancy clipboard.

If it's too big to carry in your pocket, you're going to have to lug it around in a bag (or hold it all the time). If it has to go into a bag anyways, why not just get an actual laptop, which can do way more and doesn't require you to place it flat on a surface and stare straight down to type? If you aren't going to be taking it everywhere, why do you need a portable computing device in the first place?

I'm still convinced that tablets are filling a niche that does not strictly exist as such.

The article was a good read; we never grow up, we just desire more expensive toys :D

I own an ipod and an iphone, but I will not get an ipad. I don't see how it will enrich my existence. I have a perfectly good laptop that does so much more than that thing does. I also can't stand Macs. They force them upon us at TAFE, and I find them frequently unintuitive.

I smell an Apple fanboy... o_O

Still never getting it. It looks to be nothing but an oversized iPod touch. I have one of those now, but I'm ditching it for a smartphone when Verizon builds their tower. If I MUST have something like the iPad, I'll buy a Windows Laptop.

When it's able to run an OS proper, i will be interested. I have many tech-savvy friends in the computing industry and they have confirmed that as of right now, it's technically impossible to really make it do anything more than web browsing, music, video, and the iphone apps.

Once it gains some more flexibility in its use, and once the price tiering makes more sense, i may consider it. Right now, i'm sorry to say, but I really do have to jump onto the 'It's an oversized iPod Touch' bandwagon - because it's true.

Trujkin:
A Boy and His iPad

Ever wonder what goes through a Mac geek's mind as he opens some delicious new piece of Apple tech? Wonder no more.

Read Full Article

Would anyone know if the iPad can work like a electronic sketchbook?

Am i the only one that cant quite see what role the Ipad fills? I mean...Its...

Its shiny, Dont get me wrong, And its well marketed...But its the same as the iphone.

Its shiny, And sure, it has some redeeming features, But i cant see what the fuss is about. The Ipad is a (not particually powerful) Laptop thats also touch screen...Big woop?

The Heik:

As a matter of fact there are some cool apps already available. I've got my eye on Autodesk's port of their Sketchbook Pro package. It looks pretty shiny.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sketchbook-pro/id364253478?mt=8

AS a java and flash programmer, i can't see why someone wants to buy this. Also, after seeing that low-level, stupid and counter-intuitive programming language that you have to use to make a software on the iphone/ipad (and that you NEED a mac to use the SDK), i can't see why someone would want to do a software on that thing (except for the popularity of the thing).

Trujkin:

The Heik:

As a matter of fact there are some cool apps already available. I've got my eye on Autodesk's port of their Sketchbook Pro package. It looks pretty shiny.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sketchbook-pro/id364253478?mt=8

That alone may make me buy the iPad. Is it possible to use a stylus with it?

Honestly, I think the basic idea of this device is something that will eventually be quite useful. I think a tablet is capable of doing pretty much everything 90% of people use a computer for, and why get a laptop if a tablet is all you need.

That being said, I'm part of the 10% that wants more out of a computer, and even if I weren't I wouldn't ever buy anything made by Apple. Apple is like Microsoft with better PR, less success, and more evil.

Really. The main reason Apple is still less successful than Microsoft is that they continuously attempt to engage in monopolistic practices before they have a monopoly. It's pathetic and scary at the same time.

I dunno, This was the best thing I saw on the ipad so far. Does it Blend ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko

The Heik:

That alone may make me buy the iPad. Is it possible to use a stylus with it?

So far this is the only thing I've seen :P
http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-02/meat-iphone-sausage-stylus

Hopefully science comes up with something, because that's definitely a huge drawback to capacitance-only screens for this type of application. It's been a long time since I drew with only my fingers.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here