Zero Punctuation: God of War III

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

zombie711:
He sounds sick. or maybe depressed because he has to decide between Bioware and Valve for march mayhem.

thats positive thinking seeing what he have said of both companies games

geldonyetich:
Seems a tad unenthusiastic. Almost as though opening a bar in a major Australian metropolitan area may somehow be draining.

Anywho, at the risk of attracting replies from kneejerking GoW fans, personally I was bored of GoW when I was bored of Devil May Cry. GoW-III may be "fun," but (from the other 3 1/2 minutes Yahtzee was talking) sounds like it's lacking in worthwhile substance.

Lacking in worthwhile substance? I hope you realize that that particular charge can be plausibly leveled at most video games in existence.

If you haven't already seen it this video points out a number of interesting things but what I'm referring to specifically this time around is when he says "right now about 95% of the video games in the world......" near the beginning of the video.

http://www.destructoid.com/rev-rant-fun-isn-t-enough-142052.phtml

But of course Yahtzee probably wouldn't be one to agree with the video as a whole. In his review of Saints Row 2 Yahtzee strongly implies that fun is all that's needed in a game. Of course this also makes his petty God of War 3 nitpicking all the more odd. But then again I've said it before and I'll say it again. Consistency certainly doesn't seem to be Yahtzee's strong point.

hrmm..sounds like yahtzee's got the flu again

So if I get a ps3 this summer, can I play god of war 1 and 2 on it? I want to play them before 3.

Irridium:
So I wasn't the only one who thought the story wasn't so good. Sweetness.

Also, was anyone else royally pissed off at the cutscene after the credits?

I hope you keep this voice,it really reminds me of old non escapist reviews

Yup he hit the nail on the head yet again, GoW3 despite being incredibly awesome (gameplay wise) is essentially just one long dragged out conclusion to GoW2 in HD with awesome graphics and a badly written ending. I'm on my 4th play through already so yeah, its easily the funnest game the genre has ever seen but man I wish they had written it better.

Oh, I think I get the pattern now. You review an overly popular, undeserving game that has millions of fanboys, then the next week you review a God of War title, and then finally you do a Mailbag Showdown with all the screaming fanboys of the previous week. Yahtzee, you creature of habit. :D

A1:

geldonyetich:
Seems a tad unenthusiastic. Almost as though opening a bar in a major Australian metropolitan area may somehow be draining.

Anywho, at the risk of attracting replies from kneejerking GoW fans, personally I was bored of GoW when I was bored of Devil May Cry. GoW-III may be "fun," but (from the other 3 1/2 minutes Yahtzee was talking) sounds like it's lacking in worthwhile substance.

Lacking in worthwhile substance? I hope you realize that that particular charge can be plausibly leveled at most video games in existence.

If you haven't already seen it this video points out a number of interesting things but what I'm referring to specifically this time around is when he says "right now about 95% of the video games in the world......" near the beginning of the video.

But of course Yahtzee probably wouldn't be one to agree with the video as a whole. In his review of Saints Row 2 Yahtzee strongly implies that fun is all that's needed in a game. Of course this also makes his petty God of War 3 nitpicking all the more odd. But then again I've said it before and I'll say it again. Consistency certainly doesn't seem to be Yahtzee's strong point.

As if it's impossible to like a game where you drive around in a huge varity of cars, use a varity of weapons, customize yourself in hundredes of different ways blowing people to hell, and dislike a hack and slash game?

Good review. The story was pretty crap but it really is one of the best games that I've played in a while. So yes, for me gameplay > story.

I liked the review, but didn't like the sore throat. :(

Looking forward to either Just Cause 2 or Metro 2033 next!

Ahh, a sore throat, that explains it all!

I was waiting for the "real" Yahtzee to burst in yelling:

- Wth?! Who are you and what are you doing whit my headset? Is that my script? OUT!

Think that voice is hangover from Mana's opening?

Not sure what level of realism / believability he expects from a game where you kill gods, but still. Good review. The whole "plot" in these games is really just a tack on to ultra-violence. Though I did find the whole "what's in the box" bit a tad overplayed, since we all knew what was in the box, but I digress.

Timotei:
Was something wrong with his voice. It sounds like he's sick.

Sore throat.

OT:Some people find that the game is less good than GOW2(Gamespot, Gamefaqs users, Escapist) but it's still worth getting.
What annoys me though are the Yahtzee puppets who take this video as sole reason not to buy the game.

Kanlic:
I am surprised that he didn't bring up his "Like God of War" stamp again, but whatever

His complaints in this video were too manufactured, there is no point in complaining that a game is giving you a lot of options of eviscerating centaurs, because what would the alternative be? a game that gets old very fast

Essentially there's no real point to reviewing this game...since 90% of what he could say was covered in his GOW retrospective...and "Like God of War But in HD" would be a 3 second review. All that's really different between this game and the GOW II is the story, which kind of deserved some ripping.

Kratos really is not heroic at all...also, it's kind of problematic.

Also, I don't think it's a manufactured complaint to say the story is treading water, by the end of GOW II you had killed Ares and Athena and curb-stomped Zeus...the game really does paint itself into a corner wherein the only option was to stall.

Still, I think this was generally a positive review under the set-up of "it's God of War, obviously it's good overall...let's pick nits"

OT:Some people find that the game is less good than GOW2(Gamespot, Gamefaqs users, Escapist) but it's still worth getting.
What annoys me though are the Yahtzee puppets who take this video as sole reason not to buy the game.

I don't know why...he said the game was fun he just said the story was a little weird...

Yahtzee is a lot more positive than people give him credit for.

joshthor:
i run around in my underpants screaming as well, yahtzee. anywho, i loved how he said cronos was the size of a pregnant air craft carrier.

Haha! ditto!

sinclose:

Timotei:
Was something wrong with his voice. It sounds like he's sick.

Sore throat.

Yeah, it pisses me off too.

Are we getting Metro 2033 next? I love the game but it needs a good Yahtzee style thrashing.

Mcface:

A1:

geldonyetich:

As if it's impossible to like a game where you drive around in a huge varity of cars, use a varity of weapons, customize yourself in hundredes of different ways blowing people to hell, and dislike a hack and slash game?

Don't split hairs. Mindless fun is still mindless fun. Does it really matter where it comes from?

And Yahtzee certainly doesn't dislike God of War 3.

So, sore throat from Mana Bar-ing it up all night, or broken mike like in Screed 2? I hope it's the first one; sore throats get better on their own, new mikes cost cash.

Anyways, it's nice to see this game tossed off Mount Olympus and down to the mortal plane for a while. I played this game until I killed Poseidon, and I had to wonder, "Why do that?" I know that it's Kratos, but still, he had beaten him! It was clear that Poseidon was no longer a threat, and he wouldn't be bothering Kratos again for fear of getting curb-stomped, but still, let's beat the crap out of him, rip out his eyes, break his neck, and drown all of Greece. Brilliant.

Oddly enough, this game matched up with Yahtzee's review surprisingly well. It's definitely fun, very pretty, but it's just so easy. The Temple of Pandora kicked my ass sixteen ways to Sunday, and so did Ares. Yet nothing in this game posed even a minor challange. Alright, I only played for a few hours, but I died more times in the first hour of God of War I then I did in all of this game. And I'm not even good at this game.

As for the many different weapons, I can't agree with Yahtzee on this. While the Blades of Whatever are the weapon I use the most, and therefore am the best with, it's nice to HAVE the options to use the Cestus, Bow, and whatever else you got. I'd rather have the options and not use them then need them and not have them.

Congratulations on finishing the God of War clones, Yahtzee. I appreciate it. Now, maybe you could review Resonance of Fate.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

ArmorArmadillo:

I don't know why...he said the game was fun he just said the story was a little weird...

Yahtzee is a lot more positive than people give him credit for.

Have you read the early comments? Apparently the game being 'fun' is not enough. Because flaws which have been picked seem to be the emphasis of the video(it's OK for me coz I actually had some fun with it this time), some Yahtzee fanboys go 'OMG IT'S BAD THANKS YAHTZEE YOU SPARED MY WALLET!'
But seriously, even if they think it's a rehash, those people should check into other opinions too.

Mic troubles again? Or is it allergies?
Damn funny review though. The Nathan Drake/Kratos thing was pretty funny, as well as the balloon animal intestine bit. I will say that for all the liberties that God of War takes with Greek mythology, it remains strangely accurate in weird ways, like what was inside of Pandora's box, or the greek flood myth which Kratos causes because he's a bastard.

I know this sounds awful but I'm glad it was a sore throat, I thought something had happened and he got bored of doing the videos XD. Still, always love the videos ^^

Hazy:

Irridium:
So I wasn't the only one who thought the story wasn't so good. Sweetness.

Also, was anyone else royally pissed off at the cutscene after the credits?

Since everyone already responded to the sore throat, I'm not going to. Just get well soon.

I liked the voice of Gaia now I recognised it. It's Hetty from NCIS:LA.

Also, I was looking forward to how he'd do 2 things:
1) The fact you walk around with a severed head as some sort of luxury torch.
2) The boss battle with Chronos.

I was not let down, especially the whole "power was in you all along" joke.
And thank you for burning the whole drop-from-mountain-into-Hades-for-longer-gameplay thingy at the stake!

EDITED: I messed up 2 series... Stupid lettersoup. @ American government: Don't use the following letters in abreviations for government organisations anymore: C, S and I...

wait a minute... once Kratos kills all the gods, can't they just gang up on Hades and come right back to life again?

If I was on the fence about whether to buy GoW 3 or simply rent it, I am off the fence now hehe. Minus the cost to rent it, I saved over $50 :)

well i can't play it so now i don't care if ever play it

I really never got how Kratos could take out gods, or how you could conceivably take out Cronus--he's the master of time. As we see in Greek mythology, the gods **** up the heroes who challenge them and and favor the ones who do their chores. In either case, they always were supposed to get the last laugh which is point of the morals that are found in the anecdotal nature of the myths. Junk like Kratos and Xena sort of butcher that whole concept. A cool game would be one based on the Iliad and the Odyssey, being able to switch between major heroes and utilize their different strengths. What ever happened to the cunning hero (eg. Ulysses)? Every guy has to be able to rip out somebody's liver to be taken seriously anymore.

I can't quibble with too many of his complaints. I loved the game, and actually liked the ending as it brought Kratos full circle. As for killing the other Gods, Kratos himself says in the beginning he's bringing the destruction of Olympus. It's the Age of Twilight, after all. While not explicitly stated, it's become more than personal for Kratos, it's about ending the Greek God system. Kratos isn't in a righteous funk here; he's a part of the problem, and he admits it. "By the end, Pandora, you will not be thanking me."

I thought the game far more than a rehash. The things that didn't need to change stayed largely the same, but this game had far more style in its execution. I found the combat more responsive than in GOW2, but I agree with the weapons finding. You get the Nemesis Whip far to late in the game to want to try to use it, and the Hermes boots seem almost a throwaway (particularly for platforming.)

Then cake.

I lol'd

What I can't wait to see is what Doraleous and assoc do with yahtzee tomorrow. Gonna be awesome im sure!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Video. Although i liked how Number 3 ended. It could have been less drawn out but it was still good to the point of the Very final Moments.

I played the demo, and agree with what he says. You do feel forced to use the least preferable weapons! Like in Ninja gaiden.

Wow, I don't believe I heard a single quip about quick time events. This is unexpected.

the game was amazing nothing short of that.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here