Zero Punctuation: God of War III

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

SextusMaximus:
I'm starting to grow weary of all the hate... I understand you want to please your fans, but now you're just nitpicking! You can't complain that a game has TOO MUCH variety... Ah well.

weary of all the hate? In my ears it sounded like he liked the game...

If it's just Kratos's drive that you find unrealistic, Zeus didn't kill Kratos because he was killing too many people as the god of war, it was because he was afraid he'd take his place in Olympus. I don't know how many times it's mentioned that Zeus was filled with fear in the game. He killed Kratos because he was a selfish bitch pretty much. And that's reason enough for a brickheaded, Spartan warlord to get revenge while disregarding the effects killing the rest of the gods have on the world. Kratos isn't a rational guy. His drive doesn't have to be rational.

And to hell with you! I bloody well used the extra weapons. The Cestus was better for taking on single, tougher enemies and the Claws of Hades were great for crowd control by summoning souls to help you out. The Nemesis Whips had their merits too, but I didn't care much for them to be honest. Those Cestus made pummelling things into a red stain god damn satisfying.

The only things I didn't like about the game was the extremely abrupt ending and the utter lack of re-playability. But there's supposed to be some new, free DLC on the way to cheer me up.

as always a great review might pick up this gow after i play the first 2

sorry bout the sore throte thou

Hilarious, and I agree 100% with this review... probably one of the very few of Yahtzee's I can say that about.

God dam it! He sounds like he did the AC 2 review!

lmao, death, death and death.

Review pretty much sounds like how I thought it would be XD Hope throat feels better soon

sirdanrhodes:
God I hate Twitter.

God of War that is :P

okay that was quite a shit joke...

Sorry if your sick, or lost your good mic, or what ever is making your voice sound like the combination or rocks and a chain smoker.

Ta for ending the overused penis metaphors, I don't think I spotted one this week.

Why are people confused over his voice? The same thing happened wih Assassin Creed 2 and he explained that so stop nitpicking...

...speaking of which, I bet he liked this game more than he implies since as we all know negative points are more funny.

You tell is Yahtzee. I'm only glad this game hasn't made its way to the PC. Or I would be ashamed.

Spelonker:
If it's just Kratos's drive that you find unrealistic, Zeus didn't kill Kratos because he was killing too many people as the god of war, it was because he was afraid he'd take his place in Olympus. I don't know how many times it's mentioned that Zeus was filled with fear in the game. He killed Kratos because he was a selfish bitch pretty much. And that's reason enough for a brickheaded, Spartan warlord to get revenge while disregarding the effects killing the rest of the gods have on the world. Kratos isn't a rational guy. His drive doesn't have to be rational.

And im sure Yahtzee is well aware of this. He only said what he said because it was comical, and entertaining :P

For all intents and purposes, I wouldnt call Yahtzee a 'good' reviewer.
His reveiws are entertaining, yes, but i wouldnt take them too seriously. if youwant some real reveiws check out the Escapist's reveiws section.

the way i see it it is that Yahtzee's reviews are just a bit of fun, ad also extremley funny. anyway great vid :)

Fox242:
I've been waiting for a while for this review and I wasn't disappointed. Well, his sore throat did dampen things, but he never ceases to make great views week after week. I absolutely love God of War and I especially love God of War III. It is was everything I expected it to be and much more. I did find a few criticisms along the lines of what Yahtzee found, but they did little to dampen the experience

spencer91:
This isn't one I expected Yahtzee to hate, after all he even liked Chains of Olympus.
Also, the taxi cab driven by a balloon with a face drawn on, priceless!

I don't believe that Yahtzee said that he hated it, he just didn't know why it existed. Look for him to possibly give it his Game of the Year stamp at the end of the year or at least acknowledge it as one of the best games of the year. I also loved the part about the balloon face as well as the thing about Cronos being a big as a pregnant aircraft carrier.

Okay, maybe hate is too strong a word. But it's hard to imagine him really liking a game he described as being wholly ridiculous and unnecessary. I think he just likes the God of War series as a whole (and the concept behind it) more than anything else in this case.

Your sore throat kills the fun a little.
That's sad

I can vouch for the sore throat thing, it did kinda ruin the review...

But I just don't think your reviews are what they used to be. They used to be funny, and enjoyable to watch, but I think Yahtzee's losing his touch. It's a shame, but if you watch some of the older reviews then compare it with this one, it's just not the same anymore. Yahtzee's got to do something quick, or Zero Punctuation is fast going to become very boring.

oh, hope that throat gets better, btw, that was decent, but yea that voice kinda killed it here and there.

stuartclement:

And im sure Yahtzee is well aware of this. He only said what he said because it was comical, and entertaining :P

His reveiws are entertaining, yes, but i wouldnt take them too seriously. if youwant some real reveiws check out the Escapist's reveiws section.

That's totally true, but it bugs me to hell when I see someone commenting "Wow Yahtzee, I didn't realize that game was so bad. I won't play it now!". And to be honest, he does raise very good points on video games every now and then that most people can agree with so it makes sense to take in what has to say in his reviews.

Also, I enjoyed the game and will naturally defend it when someone says it's bad. I mean, he said sweet fuck all about the gameplay, which is what the game stands out on.

So, is the franchise finally over?
4 games and being in a fighter is enough.....

We don't need any more sequels!!!!

God of War Zero: The birth of Kratos (2012)

Wait for it, it will happen >.>

I agree with Yahtzee, the battle against Chronos was the best part of the game; everything else just deflated afterwards.

KillerRabbit:

SextusMaximus:
I'm starting to grow weary of all the hate... I understand you want to please your fans, but now you're just nitpicking! You can't complain that a game has TOO MUCH variety... Ah well.

weary of all the hate? In my ears it sounded like he liked the game...

I meant with other games, he always seems to pick out the tiny flaws rather than showing the true meat of the game.

[quote="stuartclement" post="6.186418.5685035]

[/quote]
I personally wouldn't really call him a reviewer at all, at least not in the strictest sense of the word, he even admitted himself that the whole consumer advice thing was a facade. The way I see it, he's an entertainer who uses an imitation of the review format for his craft, instead of doing actual reviews, besides, I doubt he wants people to take him fully seriously, because half the time he goes on tangents about things that are only partially related to the game in question, so it's a comedy thing as opposed to being consumer advice.

Great video! Played this game at a friends house since I don't have a PS3 and had a blast with the boss fights. Get well soon Yahtzee.

Spelonker:
That's totally true, but it bugs me to hell when I see someone commenting "Wow Yahtzee, I didn't realize that game was so bad. I won't play it now!". And to be honest, he does raise very good points on video games every now and then that most people can agree with so it makes sense to take in what has to say in his reviews.

Also, I enjoyed the game and will naturally defend it when someone says it's bad. I mean, he said sweet fuck all about the gameplay, which is what the game stands out on.

yeah that pissed me off about the FFXII reveiw. how everyone just goes "ho ho ho yes final fantasy 13 is shit, why? Yahtzee said so"

and i was like "Rahhh, no its not the best game in the world, but some people like it, and some people hate it, how can you know untill youve played it? or at least seen some in game footage...."

I totally see where your coming from :)

So what of his voice? he's still hilarious. i thought it a fair review of the game. While i do hope whatever is ailing him leaves, the last time his voice was off, he spent the entire Extra Punctuation talking about how many people complained about his voice. Again, Yahtzee, hat off to you (wish it was a pimp-tight fedora) for another brilliant performance. Good luck with the Mana Bar, and get well soon.

stuartclement:

yeah that pissed me off about the FFXII reveiw. how everyone just goes "ho ho ho yes final fantasy 13 is shit, why? Yahtzee said so"

and i was like "Rahhh, no its not the best game in the world, but some people like it, and some people hate it, how can you know untill youve played it? or at least seen some in game footage...."

I totally see where your coming from :)

It doesn't matter how much credit a reviewer has, as long as they present themselves in a reasonably respectable way and yabber on long enough about how a game is bad, even if they're joking or exaggerating, there will be someone to agree with him/her.

Oh, by the way, about the box art: am I the only one who finds it lazy?

I mean, God of War I features Kratos, hunched over, bloody blades in hand, staring at some temple where his next divine enemy undoubtably waits for him. It sings of a thrilling battle that is to come.

God of War II is pretty much the same. Kratos standing in front of a temple, blades in hand again, most likely about to kick down the gates and kick ass.

But God of War III? A close up on the eye, staring at you. Is this really the best you can come up with? Is that really the best way to sucker in the gaming market that you could think of?

My bet is that since God of War III was one of the most hyped games ever to be made, they figured that they could just slack off on the box art and it wouldn't affect sales at all. Which it didn't. So I guess laziness has gone rewarded in this case.

DrMuerto:
I missed hearing the phrase "It's like God of War, but..."

"It's like God of War" but it's the third one.

Nice review. Love the "Put Nathan Drake in a room with Kratos..."

Not even worth the rental

And the Cronos battle that critics keep quoting? To me was just a moving background most of the time

I really think that doing this once a week over games I honestly don't think he gives a shit about is killing the basic premise of the article. He's ripping on the fact that a story has been dragged across a pretty fun game that really you don't need to think about.

He's better when there's an actual point to the vitriol, like Dantes Inferno or where he actually likes the game but raises some good points about it that are pertinent to the gaming industry as a whole, like inFamous.

I'm not saying it was a bad review and heaven knows it's fucking spectacular of him to keep this up in the face of his ever increasing workload being buried under a pile of snot rags but it honestly looks like he should take a break and jump back in when his batteries are full again.

Ah, seems like Yahtzee has sore vocal cordes.

Anywa, thank you for soldiering on and what not to bring us this.

Although, i was expecting a "Like God Of War but..." gag somewhere in there...

Bravo Yahtzee, another spot-on critique.

finally someone says the things that have to be said. GoW III can easily be described the same way like the series as a whole in one word: REDUNDANT

MultiColouredWonder:
I'm convinced not to buy it now.

Don't do that! The game is stunning and, alright so i beat it in two days on normal but still I thought it was great.

Great review, as to be expected by Yahtzee, but doesn't it feel a tad redundant?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here