Zero Punctuation: God of War III

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

@Mukil
Anonymous Source

Hey! quick question. Im new to the escapist. Just wated to know why the first three posts got banned? I know you usually get banned for saying ill of someone. But as far as I can say it was nothing offensive? Just dont want to maek the same mistake! (I couldn't find forum rules on the featured content section)

what toppic did you write for?
was it in one of the "zero-punctuations"?
if you complain about those you might want to know, this is allways about turning the worst parts of a game to the max. and it is i think ironic most of the time, because games do not have to make sense, as long as thei're entertaining.
so watch the show, and do not think too much about it, or make your own videos about it on youtube.
no offense, okay.
talking bad about games is what he does.
using bad words should not offend you, and you shouldnt complain, if he turns your favorite game down.

man, this is getting off toppic i guess...

spencer91:

Fox242:
I've been waiting for a while for this review and I wasn't disappointed. Well, his sore throat did dampen things, but he never ceases to make great views week after week. I absolutely love God of War and I especially love God of War III. It is was everything I expected it to be and much more. I did find a few criticisms along the lines of what Yahtzee found, but they did little to dampen the experience

spencer91:
This isn't one I expected Yahtzee to hate, after all he even liked Chains of Olympus.
Also, the taxi cab driven by a balloon with a face drawn on, priceless!

I don't believe that Yahtzee said that he hated it, he just didn't know why it existed. Look for him to possibly give it his Game of the Year stamp at the end of the year or at least acknowledge it as one of the best games of the year. I also loved the part about the balloon face as well as the thing about Cronos being a big as a pregnant aircraft carrier.

Okay, maybe hate is too strong a word. But it's hard to imagine him really liking a game he described as being wholly ridiculous and unnecessary. I think he just likes the God of War series as a whole (and the concept behind it) more than anything else in this case.

That's probably the best way to put it. He has said before that there isn't anything majorly wrong with the series as a whole. He's just nitpicking here for the sake of comedy. The story for GOd of War III was a little bit silly, but then again the strength of God of War has always been the game play.

dmcc85:
@Mukil
Anonymous Source

Hey! quick question. Im new to the escapist. Just wated to know why the first three posts got banned? I know you usually get banned for saying ill of someone. But as far as I can say it was nothing offensive? Just dont want to maek the same mistake! (I couldn't find forum rules on the featured content section)

what toppic did you write for?
was it in one of the "zero-punctuations"?
if you complain about those you might want to know, this is allways about turning the worst parts of a game to the max. and it is i think ironic most of the time, because games do not have to make sense, as long as thei're entertaining.
so watch the show, and do not think too much about it, or make your own videos about it on youtube.
no offense, okay.
talking bad about games is what he does.
using bad words should not offend you, and you shouldnt complain, if he turns your favorite game down.

man, this is getting off toppic i guess...

They got banned for responding to the video before they'd finished watching it - it essentially just boils down to a bunch of people wanting to yell "first" on the forums, which isn't taken kindly here. Notice how their posts were all around 9:02, when the video was posted at 9:00 and was 5 minutes long. Yeah, don't do that =D

Slightly off topic but...
Is Yahtzee still a British citizen? And if he is, will he vote in the General Election and for who?
This mainly comes from fact that he seems to care about Australian politics (i.e. the R18 thing) but does he still care about British politics?

Who the fuck was that, and what did he do with Yahtzee?

Get well soon, Yahtzee! ^-^
also, I'm surprised to hear that GOW3 is more of the same...with new weapons :P

I expected more on the whole Athena thing. She pops in the game like 3 times, seemingly unable to do anything directly, but then starts to do stuff like magically make new blades appear and pick up pandora. If she can do that why doesn't she go stop Zeus herself? And she never really explained why she is against Zeus now. Like she gave her life for him. Wtf. Then at the end of the game she wants hope... for what? Then when she doesn't get it she is just like "I'm Disappointed." and floats off like nothing is wrong. What the hell was she there for? What did she want? What were her goals?

Then there is the obvious thing of there being a bunch of titans on Olympus and we only ever see 2 after the cut scene (not including Kronos. He was in Tartarus.) and the second one we saw for a brief instant in which we flew over, hit him in the eye, and kept flying. What happened to the rest of them? Did they just give up and go home for some unknown reason?

Then my last nitpick in which we are lead to believe that Kratos, who had a giant sword shaped hole through his body, is still alive because of the blood trail leading off the cliff. I think the game was amazing but the end really ruined it for me for the most part.

I could finally undertand you Yahtzee yeah. other then that pretty detailed review

Alex McAuslin:
I expected more on the whole Athena thing. She pops in the game like 3 times, seemingly unable to do anything directly, but then starts to do stuff like magically make new blades appear and pick up pandora. If she can do that why doesn't she go stop Zeus herself? And she never really explained why she is against Zeus now. Like she gave her life for him. Wtf. Then at the end of the game she wants hope... for what? Then when she doesn't get it she is just like "I'm Disappointed." and floats off like nothing is wrong. What the hell was she there for? What did she want? What were her goals?

Spoilers:

Well according to her hope was very powerful and she wanted it for herself, perhaps so she could rule.

Anyway she wanted Zeus dead because she realized Zeus is acting evil although she guessed wrong as to exactly why he was acting evil.

glad to hear an opinion of the game that's not painting it up to be brilliant, but then, what else were we expecting?

I was really expecting Yahtzee to like it more, seeing as he holds the god of war series in such high regard. but it's good that he reviewed it fairly

what i really liked about this review is that it sounded more like his old ones. the new ones just sound really loud and angry. what i loved about his old reviews was his ability to rip a game to shreds with a calm, rational voice

is it just me, or did Yahtzee sound somewhat quieter/depressed?

Edit: looking back at previous comments, it evidently isn't just me
Edit 2: Comment 222 ftw.

O NO HIS VIUOCE IS DIFRINT, KWIK EVRY1 COMENT ON IT

Good review though, summed up the plot quite nicely.

How is it possible that a very slight change in the pitch of a person's voice is the difference between them amusing me for 5-7 minutes, and boring me to the point of switching off. The only reason I didn't is because I was considering buying GOW III. That being said, I did actually listen instead of just waiting to laugh at his outlandish crude humour, and heard some genuine review so well done yahtzee, I'll send you some chicken soup >>gets out trebuchet<<.

Falseprophet:
I don't mind what's basically an HD update to a fun game, so I think I'm convinced. Although this review did irritate me at the start:

I thought he said "antitheist". Eh, couldn't tell actually.
Anyway, notice how everyone will bicker and bitch about your new obvious hairdo, or soar throat, as if it weren't like an elephant in the room?

i think that was the slowest review I've heard so far but still damn good...
go here...climb here...QTE...WIN...CAKE!

It's an absolutely epic game. Brilliant work on the review. How does he manage to point out the stuff so well? You can recognize a lot of the things he says so well sometimes. Brilliant.

lol your sore throat sounds grim, also soothing somehow....

anyway, loved the review, good as always. though i must say, hearing you with this voice makes me miss your regular voice

Just curious why not mention the special mini game, I thought that would have come up at least.

Timotei: He is sick check his twitter, sore throat.

@ Timotei, He's probably sick again.

That is sad. GET WELL SOON!

:)

you sounded kinda tired. still awesome though.
Do Yakuza 3 pleas. I'd bet you'd definitely like it.

oh no! your voice,it's broken again :(
i just had to do it...

Yeah, I figured he wasn't going to respond positively to God of War 3.

So Yahtzee, how's the bar doing?

While I hate it when the games lose their mojo with new installments, and it starts to look that they equate "sequel" with "bags of money" and nothing else, I really think I'll give God of War 3 a blind eye on this matter. Seriously, the first two games were absolutely brilliant and the third looks just shy of that, so it won't be hard for me to find excuses for Kratos and fill the story gaps with imagination myself. I mean, that's what games used to be about right? You have people who love the crap out of Rogue, and it's just a bunch of letters and signs dicking about on a black screen. If people can play that game and just forget about everything that's missing, I think I can enjoy GoW3 in the same way and have tons of fun while at it.

I prefer to believe that after Athena died (spoilers) in God of War 2, and Zeus just waved his dick in front of his face, Kratos kinda lost his shit and decides if Olympus will deny his vengeance on Zeus, than all of Olympus shall die (wait, he actually says so in the cutscene, so it's less "i prefer to believe" and more "he said so in the cutscene").
So it's justified that he doesn't really give a shit about any of the gods anymore. Or the world. He saved it so many times and yet he's still plagued with his past, so he decides, fuck it, it's going down. He's been tricked by Ares, Persephone, Charon, Icarus, hell, almost every figure from Greek mythology has just plain pissed him off.
So yeah, being a fan will help you justify anything, and it's hard not to be a fan of the God of War trilogy, when it's so spectacular.

But I am kinda annoyed with how unconvincing Hades looks. I mean, it's the place of the dead, once you die, you're not supposed to get out. And yet he gets out for the fourth time.

Honestly, I'm really surprised that he didn't mention the flying bit a the beginning. That was, wuite possibly one of the coolest, and most frustrating game set-pieces, that I have seen in a recent game. Not a bad combination though. Eh, all in all, more same-y slash-fest-itorium (not necessarily a bad think, but not very exciting).

Good review!

Too bad about the sore throat.

Maybe Yahtzee should start doing reviews where you could actually see him. Maybe then people will obsess over the way he does his hair or the clothes he wears instead of harping on about his minor voice changes all the time.

Another great review, and the sore throat has returned again. Get better Yahtzee

good reveiw but I have to ask I don't think I'm the first but did you have a could or some thing cuse your voice sonds werid

SextusMaximus:
I'm starting to grow weary of all the hate... I understand you want to please your fans, but now you're just nitpicking! You can't complain that a game has TOO MUCH variety... Ah well.

There is nothing wrong with variety, but when all the additional weapons and magic spells are rather useless, or at least not really better than the ones you had before that, they are not really necessary

It seems to me like the developers, at some point near the end of the development process, thought something like: "You know what, why not add a little variety to the game and give the player some additional weaponry?"
Then they added some weapons, that all look somewhat familiar and change absolutely nothing in terms of gameplay...

I don't call something like that variety...I call it obsolete.

I think the only reason this game exists, is because the two first games looked so good (for being on a ps2), that everybody wanted to see how good it would look on a ps3 :-P

Now THAT'S what I call an unbiased review. It's good to finally see someone bash GoW 3 for being the same exact thing as the other games, and for Kratos's character becoming excessively one-dimensional.

Voice different? I'd put it down to sheer exhaustion from the fact he did just open up a place of alcoholic consumption.

Oddly enough I think this is the first review I've heard of his that makes me want to actually play the game without horrific imagery of a british man having sex with the CD.

I noticed a change in his voice, but otherwise great review as always, just the voice kinda put me off, I prefer Yahtzee when it sounds like hes screaming into a mic.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here