Stolen Pixels #184: Dead Faction

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Stolen Pixels #184: Dead Faction

You know what lowers morale? Stupidity, that's what.

Read Full Article

I know how you feel. Heck some arrived in a car and proceeded to ram me off the bridge with it.
Just before they got out and jumped off the bridge to follow me >.< .

lmao, gotta love stupid AI! =D

Damn programming, although, still the explosion was cool!

Sadly, they are actually effective in a gunfight. But annoying at all other times.

Anyway...there's an in-game cheat that keeps morale maxed permanently. You have to unlock it, though.

The ones when I play always run right in front of the vehicle I'm driving, thinking they can use it for cover.

I actually once snapped in that game.

"Oh, you want demoralizing? I'll give you demoralizing!"

And then I had to explain to the EDF that I had no idea what happened to the Red Faction hideout.

"Truck through the main building? You crazy."

My first playthrough was on Casual, then I got about a quarter way through on Normal before saying "I'm feeling masochistic." So I jacked it up to insane and experienced what I believe the developers intended me to. Frustration, and gratification.

When you play on casual it's all simple enough, have fun blowing everything up and watching things crumble. However on insane you are FORCED to use hit and run tactics. Simply put if you don't fight like a real Guerrilla you won't last for more than 10 seconds. However it is also insanely annoying because the allies on insane are still retarded and think that in front of your sledgehammer is a great place to hide. However I never pay attention to my allies anyways, because usually I stick around to blow up one building and then I get the fuck outta dodge because the EDF is merciless.

In the end I agree, the friendly AI is retarded, and to some extent so is the enemy AI (but there are so many of them that you never notice). However the friendlies being stupid is better than them doing all the work for you (in my opinion), because if they were competent then all you'd have to do is focus on taking down the buildings. Which is fun but if that was all you had to do there would be no challenge whatsoever.

Hahaha love it. If only.....

interesting how you didnt go 'thru' the route of least resistance, aka sledgehammer the guys face and move along

granted the comic wouldnt have been as funny hehe

It's odd, but the friendly AI in my game hasn't ever really done, well, any of those things - true, sometimes they decide to start the revolution when I wasn't actually planning on doing that, but I rarely get tagalongs during demolition work and they've never gotten in my way.

I suppose part of that might be how I tend to blow up buildings from the outside rather than going inside them - if it's marked red on the map, I don't even need to know what's in it, just that it has to come down. Plus those black hole bombs aren't nearly as potent as they should be from the description.

As for the demoralization, it's so laughably easy to raise it that I have to wonder why they even bother penalizing you when Faction members die - all it takes is a quick kill streak and you've got that morale right back.

The bad guys in Red Faction aren't all that bad. Their goal is to destroy all game designers who make games that blame you for NPC fuck-ups.

Haha, gotta love NPCs logic sometimes :)

Gildan Bladeborn:
Plus those black hole bombs aren't nearly as potent as they should be from the description.

If they were as potent as their name suggest, it would not only destroy the whole building, but also the planet and the game would be a lot shorter. :D

wildpeaks:

Gildan Bladeborn:
Plus those black hole bombs aren't nearly as potent as they should be from the description.

If they were as potent as their name suggest, it would not only destroy the whole building, but also the planet and the game would be a lot shorter. :D

Well sure, but have you ever played Armed and Dangerous? That game had a black hole bomb (in a convenient cardboard box container!) with some punch - you set one of those babies off and all the nearby objects, enemies, you name it would be sucked into a singularity. It was, needless to say, awesome. Plus the game had a land shark gun (it fires sharks that then swim under the surface of the terrain and rise up to swallow enemies whole).

The one in Red Faction Guerrilla was just underwhelming - the thermobaric rockets on the other hand...

Who wouden't want to join the EDF? I mean, sure there evil, but at least they have there shit together.

Plus the EDF have better uniforms, Sir Kemper.

Totally agree. The AI in Red Faction pissed me the hell off. The only thing the friendly AI was good for was distracting the EDF when I blew up one too many buildings of theirs.

Life is too short for bad friendly AI. Of all the reasons I've ever snapped a disk in half, which is three times, bad friendly AI was the cause of two of them.

Irridium:
I actually once snapped in that game.

"Oh, you want demoralizing? I'll give you demoralizing!"

And then I had to explain to the EDF that I had no idea what happened to the Red Faction hideout.

"Truck through the main building? You crazy."

I endorse that plan.

But it should be noted that AI should always remain stupid. Doomsday Arcade, Terminator, the Matrix all point to what happens when AI wises up.

Oh man, that's hilarious.

I didn't quite get the nano-bots. Sure, the gun was rather nifty, but why, all of a sudden, when slotted into a missile, did they eat a whole battle cruiser rather just a little bit of it? A tank could take quite a few hits from it before evaporating. Again, like with the black hole bombs, if it actually worked the way it was described, a single shot should have eaten Mars, surely?

I don`t know why but I recommend you to play STALKER ( Call of Pripyat is the most polished) because there you would find a game that has atmosphere and a really well balanced gameplay !

I recall multiple occasions where I would be involved in an indoor gunfight and I would suddenly lose morale because some people outside joined me and then dived under a truck.
Seems odd that the game would penalize the player for something fully beyond their control.Makes me wonder if anyone on the dev team realised how crap the AI was before they released the game.

Abnaxus:
I don`t know why but I recommend you to play STALKER ( Call of Pripyat is the most polished) because there you would find a game that has atmosphere and a really well balanced gameplay !

While that is true, it's not really relevant to Red Faction's bad AI. But now that I'm thinking about it, I've realized that I haven't actually seen the AI in Call of Pripyat do anything really stupid (yet). The only thing I can recall that was "stupid" was a group of Duty soldiers deciding to kill Freedom members, and then immediately being torn apart by some Buerers after they won. But that wasn't really bad AI design so much as an unfortunate series of events. Though I'm sure as I spend more time with them I'll begin to notice their stupidity.

On-Topic: Yes, the AI in Red Faction was pretty bad. I had a similar situation with the bridge you mentioned. Whilst attempting to blow it up my followers just wouldn't leave me alone. Then they caught the attention of an EDF patrol, and things only went downhill from there. By that point I didn't care if they were standing on the bridge. I was going to blow it up anyways.

I feel your pain, an NPC that tried to deliver a truck to me while I was on foot exploring (and not even WANTING the truck)managed to run me over twice in the process of getting it as close to me as the AI thought I wanted it to be, and then the game called ME an asshole for attaching a demo mine to his head and smacking him with the sledgehammer.

EDIT: I also intend to use the kiloawesome scale to measure things in the future.

I barely had any problems with moral or NPCs. Any Moral you lose can be gained by getting an easy as pie kill streak.

Also I never really had many AI problems. The teammates went away after the alert went to green anyways.

I found that finding a big mech,walking to a rebel hideout and smashing every thing was the most fun I had in the game.The mech with a jetpack is particularly awesome because it has a jetpack,so you can fly up,land on the roof of a building and smash through like the fucking kool-aid man,rampaging inside like an enraged rhino.
Also,attaching demo charges to their faces was fun.

The AI in this was some of the most uneven I've ever encountered.

*sneezes*

Oh God damn it, here come a bunch of them.

Why do game designer forget to have the AI stay the fuck out of the player's way?
HL2 suffered from this as well, the number of times those bloody antlions set off an explosion and killed me. >:/

Atleast in BFBC2 you can actually walk into the AI and they'll just move no matter what so you're not stuck behind them (plus they don't die which is awful for realism but good for not getting frustrated to all hell).

The AI in this game is priceless.

Damn allies. Sometimes a little bit of morale is worth it.

Also when a large building is standing up on 2 thin sticks that make no gravitational sense, and I'm about to knock them down, walking into the building is a BAD idea.

I haven't played Red Faction, but come on let's be honest if it wasn't for NPC stupidity what would we have to laugh at?

Yea the AI can be pretty bad but its not worse than just trying to play the game on pc. The aim is horrible, the mouse movement laggs all the time, and if a building goes down the whole game laggs. I have a good gaming computer which should easily handle the game but its broken on pc. (it looks good tho)

I honestly think the ability to choose your side would have made that game much more fun.

Yes, it sucks when the AI decides that the best place of residence for your "helpers" is on the front of you hammer/vehicle, but moral is so laughably easy to raise (and EDF buildings drop lots of scrap anyway) that it was never really a problem for me.

Also, if you get out of range of your helpers by grabbing a vehicle, you can sometimes get away before they are killed.

This is what I generally do. However, one occasion sticks in my mind:
I was being followed by a scout car with a machine gun on the top. I had stopped to switch vehicles, and the one near my previous one conveniently stopped and a dude hopped out to help me. I was seconds away from hopping in and speeding away when the guy shouts "mason needs help!", whips out an assult rifle, and starts hammering on the scout car. Realising that he would probably be run down, I blew up the scout car and drove away.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here