Escape to the Movies: Avengers: Assemble!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

I usually don't bother watching escapist to the movies, after i got my hopes up about district 9, but this was a great one.

Kudos!

"How can you not look forward to that?"

Ummmmmm...

...Because if it sucks, it stands a chance of bringing not one but several movie franchises, all promising in and of themselves, to a screeching trainwreck of a halt?

Don't get me wrong. I'm really hoping it doesn't suck. But tying a bunch of comic book characters, each with their own legions of fans and backstories, into a pleasing and coherent whole is not the kind of job I look to Hollywood for with any optimism these days.

Not to mention that we haven't even seen at least half the team, and there are some troubling questions rumbling about regarding Cap.

Time will tell, but I'll say this much: I'm not going to be loading up on Marvel stock (I guess it would be Disney stock now?) just before the Avengers movie.

Blanks:
kinda ninja'd
do you think the spiderman reboot will be connected to this in anyway?

Probably not but holy shit it would be awesome if it did.
Who here knows that guy who did 500 Days of Summer? Get him on the phone and tell him to start talking to Marvel about leasing an Avengers reference, ASAP!

Nerdgasm indeed. Sounds like the rant of a fanboy. Just calling it like I see it.

The only thing I'd ever really want from Marvel is an Exiles animated series, but if the avengers film does eventually get made, I will most likely get off my lazy but and actually go to a cinema to see it! XD

Tis a good time to be a nerd indeed. I'm pretty stoked for Iron Man 2.

MovieBob:
Avengers: Assemble!

This week MovieBob gathers all the clues that seem to point to an Avengers film.

Be sure to join Escape to the Movies Facebook Fan Page here.

Watch Video

OH FINALLY! There is so little info online regarding the Road to Avengers, it;s good to see everything (so far) put together.

I wish DC would do this sort of thing, even if they just game some film time to lesser known heroes. Agree with the Scarlett Johansson thing though, that alone should be worth the price of admission!

I think they want to remake Daredevil starring Jason Statham. Wasn't he a part of the avengers? Maybe they'll make it right this time.

One thing I hate about hollywood thy have to take fiction out of the fiction and add in real world common day with a spin crap, and I loath that. It looks like marvel is finally trying to put the comic before the movie, tho Xmen,Blade and wolverine were crappy and that first hulk flick was horrible...

GameGoddess101:
Some very fascinating stuff there, Bob. I'm not really into marvel and I haven't seen Iron Man 1 or The Incredible Hulk (the latter because I've seen Ang Lee's version and I'm terrified!) But maybe I should consider seeing them now..

But what's ironic about this is I was just having this conversation with my boyfriend last night, and he seems to think the same thing... Now I have to see all this, just so I can see it come to some sort of head.

Nice nerdgasm.

Iron man and I hulk are great at elast as far as comic films go.

So this Avengers movie, Who are they going to fight?

That is INCREDIBLE.

But I have one teeny tiny issue - Why is Chris Evans going to Captain America? He's already the Human Torch...

MowDownJoe:

lead sharp:
Has kick ass not come out in the us?

Nope. Not until next week.

This video would be completely different if moviebob had seen Kikc-Ass first - in fact it might not even have occured to him to make it, as K-A would have likely changed his whole perspective on superhero movies in general, and compilations of multiple second-tier superheroes like Thor into one movie in particular. It's that important a movie.

what a nerd.

i love you

Nerdgasm indeed MovieBob.

I really hope IM2 is great because the first one blew me away and i'd hate to see them phone it in on the second

rokudan:
Not sure how this didnt make it into the comment thread yet, but this pretty much confirms the start, or at least the though of the Avengers Movie.

http://www.starkexpo2010.com/accutech/uk.html

Thumbs up for the link

i know almost nothing about the marvel universe, so this is a pretty good guide to what the hells been going on in all these films. so yeah, nice one.

Major Nerdgasm, Bob.

Anyway, Edward Norton better get on board for the Avengers.

I hope next week he discovers fire.

Souplex:
Hopefully they take more cues from the Ultimate Universe. Whenever they copy that it turns out awesome.

Except that would totally ruin any chances for Winter Soldier. Yes I know a lot of people hate Winter Soldier, but I don't. And if they take any cues from the Ultimate Comics Universe we cant have Winter Soldier. (Notice how I didn't spoil anything about who that is there? :P)

As for Tony's father. As far as I can recall, he worked on the Manhattan Project, if this was in the movie or the comics I don't recall. (Been reading a lot of Marvel lately)

Also, there is apparently a shot in Iron Man where you can see a glimps of Captain Americas shield lying on Starks workshop table. Which fits the comics, since Tony gives Cap a new shield at one point after the government takes away his old shield.

All in all I am one excited nerd about the lead up to the avengers :D

PS: There is also an Ant-man movie on its way, according to IMDB. Yes thats right, Hank "I beat up my wife" Pym gets his own move.

PSS: Black Widow and Hawk eye aren't always together. In the ultimate universe Widow dated Tony Staek (Which can fit with the current direction of the Movies more). That said, I hope they give mister Purple Suit a decent costume... ATLEAST not the Ultimate Hawkeye costume (and characterisation))

Very cool video MovieBob! One of the things I loved about the "incredible Hulk" movie was the way Blonsky was fighting after he got the first dose of the Super Solider formula. He was fighting like Cap! He was just missing his shield, which would have saved him alot of hurt if he had it before Hulk (Who was holding a self-made shield of his own) smacked him silly.

Just letting you know Bob, they said Tony Stark's Father helped with the Manhattan Project. That means HE HAD TO BE ALIVE during world war to, and he was one of the top scientists there. Just thought I'd let you know, though probably somebody else has said this already.

Onyx Oblivion:
Time to start brushing up on my Marvel. Without tracking down 100s of comics. Anyone have a good reference site?

I have this, and its so good it almost makes the Marvel universe seem coherent
http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Encyclopedia-Daniel-Wallace/dp/0756623588/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270917617&sr=8-2

I was actually hoping Bob would talk a little more about the choice of directors. One thing that has me really excited about this movie is that Marvel keeps picking creative teams that really suit the individual characters. Getting Fav to direct Iron Man was a great start since Tony Stark could basically be written into Swingers without missing a beat. Then you have a director known for lavish Shakespearean productions assigned to the epic fantasy character and a director who's an old hand at vintage pulp characters handling Cap. It makes me think each project will actually be a concerted effort to present the characters in a fitting style.

But that just raises the question again, how the hell do you combine these three stories into one cohesive project? I guess it would have to be something that truly embraced the colourful insanity behind the superhero comics, something that just runs away with the fun, over-the-top notion without breaking stride. So who do you get to direct something like that?

Any thoughts Bob?

Antacid:

MowDownJoe:

lead sharp:

This video would be completely different if moviebob had seen Kikc-Ass first - in fact it might not even have occured to him to make it, as K-A would have likely changed his whole perspective on superhero movies in general, and compilations of multiple second-tier superheroes like Thor into one movie in particular. It's that important a movie.

No it wouldn't have.

How's THAT for a tease ;)

I'm excited for the Avengers movie since the chances for a Nextwave movie are slim to none.

MovieBob:

Antacid:

MowDownJoe:

lead sharp:

No it wouldn't have.

How's THAT for a tease ;)

To be quite honest, when I saw a trailer Kick Ass, it looked more like, to me at least, a satire of Watchmen, just with younger kids. Don't know if I'm going to see it though.

eels05:
Yes Scarlett Johansen in skin-tight body suit.

Thor..wonder how Fundamental Christian groups will take to a depiction of a Norse Man-God as an American hero.Cant wait to see how that story is depicted.

Well they nicked all our religious holidays and to a lesser extent our concept of monetary worth! But anyway I hope they don't balls up the Thor film.

I do hope they include this classic line.

"Are you thor?"

Of course Im thore this chainmail chafes awfully!

They NEED to tread lightly. This Avengers movie could either be the greatest thing to come out in a decade, or it could the worst mish-mash of media ever.

I always wondered if the lightning storm in Hulk was a prelude to Thor. I might be reaching, but when it is called a "freak occurrence," it comes out of nowhere with very good timing and Hulk seems to be pissed off at something in the storm (then again, that could just be him raging at the thunder). Anyone else pick up on this or am I grasping at straws?

Jason Statham did say "no" to Hitman, after reading the script.

Now that I have no coherent things to say on the subject, I will muse:
They should have Deadpool show up...anywhere.

Never interested in any marvel comics it any comics at all, but you're right, I'm excited!

Personally, I'd like to see Iron Man stay Iron Man. It's been one of my favorite superhero movie franchises of late, and I don't see it mixing well with these other movies. I'm agreeing with the concept that it screws up continuity.

Also, Magic+Guns don't mix.

good call

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 16992)