Escape to the Movies: Avengers: Assemble!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

I got goose bumps...

SO AWESOME!!

Funny thing is I actually do have a friend who will get into a argument about which restaurants better.

Please, please let you be right.

It would make me happy beyond words...

And I share your nerdgasm.

Dear Bob. I just wanted to add that I really tought that at the end of Hulk, when Tony Starks goes to talk to the general, he's talking about the project captain america drug, and not the project hulk drug.

I also think that when the general talks to the guy who turns into abomination about the drug, he's actually talking about 2 different drugs. He reminices on an old one that showed promise (captain america) but then gives him a different one, not linked to the first one, made with the few info they had on how the first hulk came to be, which could explain the fact that abomination appeared, using an alpha project and all ^_^

That said, if you remember one of the animated movies of the avengers, Hulk is actually the villain. In that idea, it would make sense to say that there are two drugs, one for cap and one for hulk, and that tony starks wants info on the cap drug, not the other one.

And I totally agree on his father having worked on the stuff during WWII and Tony might even be there, as an infant. There is also a time lapse in the first Iron Man, where they say that Tony went under the radar between his father's death and his ascension to power at adulthood, which could be linked to the whole thing. Maybe. ^_^

Hmm, Marvel was probably only adding those things as Easter Eggs for the comic book fans.
What is great, however cynical the above comment was, is how Marvel is actively connecting its movie franchises. If they're going to make an avenger movie, it would be after all of the pieces are put together. IE: All or most of the characters already have successful franchises. This will take time, probably around 2014. But hey, IF that's what Marvel is planning, THEN I'll fight my way through the Mayan Apocalypse to see that movie. Avengers Assemble!

Firethem:
I also think that when the general talks to the guy who turns into abomination about the drug, he's actually talking about 2 different drugs. He reminices on an old one that showed promise (captain america) but then gives him a different one, not linked to the first one, made with the few info they had on how the first hulk came to be, which could explain the fact that abomination appeared, using an alpha project and all ^_^

You're probably pretty close.

I kinda have to keep the explanations "basic" in the video proper so everything can "fit" and not bore everyone to death, but the "longer" guess would be that the "2 drugs" thing is still strictly a Captain America reference. See, all of the different versions of Cap's origin story up to this point have one thing in common: He was SUPPOSED to be merely the first of a whole army of "Super Soldiers," but Nazis sabotage the lab - destroying all the data and all hope of replicating the experiment. Hence, one guy as a superhero-costumed symbolic leader figure instead of whole platoons of jacked-up infantrymen.

In the "regular" Marvel Universe, "trying to replicate the Captain America experiment" gets used a lot as an explanation for certain characters. I think in current continuity, for example, that Wolverine's former nickname "Weapon X" actually means "Weapon TEN" with Cap having been "Weapon ONE." In "Ultimate" Marvel, 'failed recreations of Super Soldier Serum' are responsible for creating The Hulk, among others. So... they're probably going for some version of that.

Dear god someone please, please cap 5:36 and turn it into an animated avatar.

Onyx Oblivion:
Time to start brushing up on my Marvel. Without tracking down 100s of comics. Anyone have a good reference site?

The Marvel website itself. Last I checked they have a repository for their characters there.

Won't Chris Evans role as Captain America ruin the continuity between his other MARVEL character the Human Torch?

NERDGASM!!!!!

You just blew my damn mind! I am as psyched for this Avengers movie as I was when I heard they were making a LOTR movie!

Thanks Movie BOB!

deth2munkies:
Dear god someone please, please cap 5:36 and turn it into an animated avatar.

I second this! bump!!

FrioJenkins:
Won't Chris Evans role as Captain America ruin the continuity between his other MARVEL character the Human Torch?

I was just thinking that.

I hope the Avenger Movie will be made it would be so awesome.

FrioJenkins:

Not in this case.

Before Marvel started their own studio to do this Avengers experiment (and WAY before the whole company got bought by Disney) they licensed the rights to films starring specific characters and their "families" to individual studios and production companies: The Fantastic Four - and most of their villians and "related" characters - are at Fox, as are Daredevil and X-Men. Sony owns the movie rights to Spider-Man. Lionsgate has Punisher and a couple of others. Universal had Hulk, but the rights reverted back to Marvel when Uni decided not to do a sequel to the Ang Lee movie.

The "Avengers" run of movies - thus far encompassing Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and Hulk plus all the supporting characters from those movies and whoever else winds up in the "main" featue - are being made by Marvel's own studio through a distribution deal with Paramount Pictures. As such, the "shared universe" DOESN'T, sadly, officially include characters currently licensed to other studios. So, basically, Human Torch doesn't "exist" in the Avengers/Captain America universe, and vice versa. (Although even if they did, it'd be a moot point since after the sequel bombed Fox has been talking about starting the FF movies over with new actors.) This is also why Spider-Man, Wolverine etc. almost-definately won't be showing up.

There ARE a couple of lingering questions that no one has really answered yet on this front: A bunch of the "classic" Avengers characters are, in the comics, Mutants. In fact, two of the most "famous" Avengers, Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch, are actually Magneto's kids. Technically, Fox "owns" all movie rights to Mutants through the X-Men movies, but no one has really clarified whether that applies to characters that haven't been IN those movies yet.

Also potential weirdness: The Captain America movie is supposed to also have supporting parts for The Invaders, a WWII-era superhero team. One of the most popular Invaders was Sub-Mariner, but he's "owned" by Fox as a Fantastic Four character. Another Invader was the "first" Human Torch, a totally different guy but with the same name. I doubt either one of them shows up.

awesome, curious to know as well!

Rocketboy13:
Here is a way to make continuity a non issue:
Make Kang the Conqueror, the time traveling lord of time the main villain, and explain away any inconsistent canon as the ramifications of time travel.

Bad idea extremely bad idea. Time travel stories depend on you having the rule firmly set in place before you do word one. If you don't or worse like DC and Marvel in the comic let a host of conflicting and ultimately INCOMPATIBLE time travel mechanist coexist you don't have an explanation but rather a big dysfunctional mess that gives everybody writer and reader/viewer a mammoth migraine.

Dude!!!.. How the hell did you forget about Wolverine ?

An avengers film is all well in good, but the news that Brian Blessed isn't going to play Odin in Thor is an immense disappointment.

Good God man, you've got me excited for this to all fall into place! I'm for one stoked to see the cameos and hints in Iron Man 2.. Also, if they do make an Avengers movie it'd take time to have everything fall into place well enough to justify this sort of thing. Mmmm the Awesomeness is oozing from the screen now :3

BTW; I wonder who's going to play Red Skull in the Capt. America movie..

i saw incedeble hulk at the movies and there were al lot of comicbooks geeks there including me because when stark walked in half of the peeps were all like DUDE thats IRON Man and when he said he was putting a team to gether half again said dude thats the avengers XD that was probebly one of the best arts of that movie xd
ps not american please forgive my english

Genius.
Even though I'm not an avid comic book lover, I'm still a fan of awesomeness. And this sort of thing would be awesome.

Still waiting for a Lord of the Rings/Star Wars crossover. Ever since I had that dream, I can't get the idea out of my head >.<

bharatram1:

I think we all did. Because it sucked.

Whether the Avengers Movie is going to suck or not it has been announced since the before Iron Man has come out but has been Pre-Production and is said to be released in 2012 according to IMDB

*Edit*
The better questions we should be asking is:
A) Who is going to play the Human Torch when they cross them over into the Avengers?
B) Are they going to remake the Fantastic 4 with different people and make it better than the last ones.
C) Why did it take them three Spiderman Movies to realize they messed up and have to return to the drawing boards on that one?
D) THIS SHOULD BE EPIC!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes please start avengers and on second note at some point would love to see a few movies based off Civil War. Has to be my favorite comic book series in a long time. Man if they actually kept going on this route they could have years and years worth of great movies.

Krion_Vark:
Whether the Avengers Movie is going to suck or not it has been announced since the before Iron Man has come out but has been Pre-Production and is said to be released in 2012 according to IMDB

*Edit*
The better questions we should be asking is:
A) Who is going to play the Human Torch when they cross them over into the Avengers?
B) Are they going to remake the Fantastic 4 with different people and make it better than the last ones.
C) Why did it take them three Spiderman Movies to realize they messed up and have to return to the drawing boards on that one?
D) THIS SHOULD BE EPIC!!!!!!!!!

Not your fault, but it's a frequently stated fact, the Avengers movies are owned by Marvel, distributed through Paramount (and yes, Dinsey own Marvel.) HOWEVER F4, X-Men, and Spiderman and Daredevil are owned by differentc companies, I think Fox.

They are completly different franchises. Nothing to do with Marvel Studio's who make the current Avengers movies. Marvel licensed them out way before they formed their own company to do the Avengers.

The screw ups of others must not be held against Marvel Studio's.

MovieBob provides a better comment on this above, but by quoting you here you'll find out and that'll be one more enlightened soul.

bharatram1:

Same as above. Wolverine is Fox. Avengers is Marvel/ Disney/ Paramount. They'll nevr cross-over and Fox will never give up the rights. X-Men earns too much money.

Ugh, I'm definitely in the minority here but I can't stand most comic book movies. Marvel's especially being the biggest offenders minus the first X-men film and the surprising entertaining Ironman. Movie Bob is a good critic for the most part (he's been off on some films in my opinion) but he really begins to ruin his credibility for me when his Nerd-isms are exposed like this weeks episode. Really, he thinks more mediocre super hero movies is a GOOD thing? There is a reason there is genuine consensus that Hollywood has run out of ideas and bad comic book movies are a part of the problem. That's just my opinion. I no doubt expect him to flog himself vigorously for that new movie Kick-Ass for next weeks episode. It could be good but I'll reserve my judgment after I hear a few opinions from some non-fanboy movie critics.

TheEnglishman:

Not your fault, but it's a frequently stated fact, the Avengers movies are owned by Marvel, distributed through Paramount (and yes, Dinsey own Marvel.) HOWEVER F4, X-Men, and Spiderman and Daredevil are owned by differentc companies, I think Fox.

They are completly different franchises. Nothing to do with Marvel Studio's who make the current Avengers movies. Marvel licensed them out way before they formed their own company to do the Avengers.

The screw ups of others must not be held against Marvel Studio's.

MovieBob provides a better comment on this above, but by quoting you here you'll find out and that'll be one more enlightened soul.

But one company owning the rights to one thing because its making a lot of money means nothing in this day and age because Marvel/Disney/Paramount could offer to pay a certain amount then a certain percentage to allow the usage of their owned rights. If someone wants to do something then they most likely will go out and do it. I am not saying its going to happen but it damn well could happen.

*edit*

Shut_up_Flanders:
Ugh, I'm definitely in the minority here but I can't stand most comic book movies. Marvel's especially being the biggest offenders minus the first X-men film and the surprising entertaining Ironman. Movie Bob is a good critic for the most part (he's been off on some films in my opinion) but he really begins to ruin his credibility for me when his Nerd-isms are exposed like this weeks episode. Really, he thinks more mediocre super hero movies is a GOOD thing? There is a reason there is genuine consensus that Hollywood has run out of ideas and bad comic book movies are a part of the problem. That's just my opinion. I no doubt expect him to flog himself vigorously for that new movie Kick-Ass for next weeks episode. It could be good but I'll reserve my judgment after I hear a few opinions from some non-fanboy movie critics.

If you can find more than 30 movies that are ORIGINAL ideas and do not take things from a bunch of different sources then I will agree with you on the fact that comic book movies are the spawn of Satan. Everything everywhere barring the works of Shakespeare and classic Novels are not original. If you go an read mangas then you would know that the authors of those take time off from time to time to do research on what they are doing. The characters and concepts are usually unique but story lines are not. Take Avatar for instance while a work of Artistic genius it was basically Disney's Pocahontas on crack.

This thread is full of too much optimism. Please dial it back. To help with this I present to you The Super Hero Squad Show

I just am glad the movie industry is making comic book characters relevant again. By comic book characters, I mean characters that aren't the big three: Superman, Spider Man, and Batman. I think deep down everyone enjoys a comic book style film. It's the reason movies like "300" and "Sin City" kick so much ass and are surprise hits.

I just hope they look at the success the Iron Man franchise is having, and put forth as much time, effort, and resources towards making all of the films that way. I like the casting job they did for Captain America, because Chris Evans has done the Super Hero thing before, and frankly he kicked ass at it.

I'd love to see an Avenger movie, but sadly I don't think anything like that would come out any time before 2013 or so. Hell, if it's a great movie it will be worth the wait.

Im not sure if Bob's spider-sense is offline at the moment but I rate the chances of an Avengers movie not sucking royally as infinitesimally small. I predict a confusing mish-mash of over-the-top GGI battles strung together rapid fire with minimal time given to plot, characterisation or any kind of internal logic. The melding of three different genres and character types will give the director carte-blanch to string together any manner of absurdities. I predict something that has all the worst features of the Fantastic Four movies, Wolverine, Transformers and the remake of Clash of the Titans.
Lets be honest, of all the possible Marvel source material the Avengers comics are about the worst. They are a stupid spin off of more successful franchises. You can see the writer's train of thought: "Wow we have had success with Iron Man, Captain America and Thor, Imagine if we put them all together, that will pull in all the fans of the three and triple our sales"

It wont work. I'm just saying.

I don't want to read through 200 comments to see if this has been mentioned yet, but do you think PERHAPS...THIS is why they decided to scrap Spider-man and start over fresh? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM????

Definitely Nerdgasm. This stuff is too awesome to not turn into a giant movie universe.

Great video, even though it doesn't matter much here is something you left out.

Screenshot from Iron Man.

Diddy_King:
I don't want to read through 200 comments to see if this has been mentioned yet, but do you think PERHAPS...THIS is why they decided to scrap Spider-man and start over fresh? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM????

I think it has something to do with it, but not in the way you may think.

Disney/Marvel owns Spider-Man, the characer, but they sold the rights to make Spider-Man MOVIES to Sony Pictures, who still has them. Thus, whatever form the Spider-Man movies were to take Marvel couldn't "borrow" him back for The Avengers without Sony's cooperation - i.e. they'd have to share the Avenger's profits with what amounts to a rival studio. This is also why you won't see any of the X-Men or Fantastic Four show up.

In effect, Sony is re-starting Spider-Man as a quickly-produced, low-budget (for an action picture) quickie with a cheap teen cast to make sure that they continue to own the franchise for the forseeable future. So the reboot's job is, in part, to keep him OUT of The Avengers ;)

All I know is IRON MAN I was good quality all around the story went along nicely not boring and Robert Downey Jr. was really fun to watch and the other characters in the movie were interest and fun, & already this one is looking pretty fun too, this is going to be great. :)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here