Go Back To WoW

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

2xDouble:
Actually, the expression isn't merely an insult to critic and Warcraft. It's also an exacerbated sigh in the direction of WoW fanboys trashing a game because they believe that Warcraft is significantly better. If a person in a chat were to offer friendly advice on how the game could be improved, or features he or she would like to see included, that is fine. But if that same person were to continuously spam the local chat or forums "this game suck, it's not as good as WoW. I'm playing this game just to show you how bad it is compared to WoW, MAN this game sucks!", etc... Then, I believe "go back to WoW" is a justified and appropriate response.

If a person logs into a game just to trash it instead of playing their beloved Warcraft, why do they not simply stop playing the game and spend that time actually playing Warcraft? It doesn't make sense.

He lives on Endor. Now why would a 7' Wookee live on a planet with a bunch of little 3' Ewoks? It doesn't make sense. Why the heck am i talking about Chewbacca when the topic is World of Warcraft? It doesn't make sense. Thank you, I rest my case. (cookie to whoever gets the reference)
EDIT:
Also, what of those Warcraft players who didn't like the other game(s) and instead of starting a flamewar, posted on the forums: "I'm going to go back to WoW"? A cursory text search would have included those otherwise normal people NOT using it as an insult.

IT'S FROM SOUTH PARK!I can haz cookie?

Onyx Oblivion:
Aion? 15.

O_o

They seem like nice people.

Either they are nice, or the game is satisfying it's player base. Maybe both?

ffs-dontcare:
To clarify on my earlier post: yes, there are two instances in which the thread title comes into play.
1 - When an MMO elitist goes "eww WoW" and then loads up Aion after spending an hour writing out a long-ass post about why Aion beats WoW in all aspects of MMO-hood and chewing out an innocent WoW player for no apparent reason.
2 - When a player quits WoW and joins another MMO, and then makes suggestions to the developers that are similar to something already in WoW, because WoW is what this player is used to. "Hey people you should give us flying mounts hurr!"

Number 2 is the only instance in which telling someone to "go back to WoW" is justified. MMO elitists are pathetic and close-minded non-conformist conformists.

Hope that clears things up a bit, especially for that guy who posted earlier telling me I'm wrong.

Marowit:
I love when people talk smack about current raiding too. My response usually starts up with, do you use addons? Did you design your own spec? Did you determine which gems were best for your spec by youself? etc...etc..

From what I've heard, this is frowned upon.

I don't like the fact that people have the audacity to tell me what gems I use, what spec I have, etc. Talents were implemented for customization, but that has disappeared in end-game, which unfortunately makes Dual Spec a necessary evil. I get called a "terribad" when I tell enquiring players that in most cases there's no such thing as a bad spec.

Marowit:
Raiding is, however, much more accessible since people run addons like DBM, generate spreadsheets to maximize their dps, can look up guides for BiS items, and dps rotations. These things weren't all that common in earlier editions of WoW - especially in vanilla (the raid version most complainers seem to be the most nostolgic about) I actually really don't like this facet that has cropped up - that is the number crunching - as I am sure it kind of handcuffs developers. But, it's human nature, and even moreso nerd/geek nature to use t3h maths.

I've been playing WoW since 2005 and I've yet to start raiding. Now I want to start, but the problem is I've got morons left and right who are telling me exactly what talents I should get, gems, enchants, etc. Attempting to hold my virtual hand through it all. Words like "simcraft", "bis", etc being thrown around non-stop. Telling anyone who asks for mere advice to go straight to the appropriate class forums and re-spec into one of the four or five exact talent builds that were specifically designed by "simcraft experts" who care only about bigger numbers than bigger fun. Any excuse for them to just take the fun out of raiding so they can simply face-roll every raid instance that is implemented. It's incredibly disgraceful, and removes a fair bit of the challenge that's supposed to be found in end-game raids. The only reason a raid like this might still find it difficult is because they're either just starting to learn the fights or they lack coordination.

Nothing wrong with a bit of number crunching but when it leads to so much elitism, delusions of superiority, forced hand-holding and complete lack of fun/customization, something has gone terribly wrong. Five mages in an end-game raiding guild with the exact same talent build just because their Guild Master has ordered them to re-spec in a certain way is not customization, and completely detracts from the entire point of talents in the first place, which is character customization. The WoW community is the only thing wrong with WoW as far as I'm concerned.

Totally agree with you. If you want to find a fun community, that is generally a lot more forgiving about playing the game, the way you want to play it, try a RP-server. To be honest though, if you're having fun, what does it matter? You'll be able to find a group of people you can play with who will be accepting of your style - WoW is big enough to find them. As far as the raiding goes, once you find those people who are more interested in having fun, they won't care about your unique specs, as they are just interested in sharing a fun experience...the whole point of MMOs in my opinion.

So right now on College Talk Spot, this person who seems to be a bit of a "revolutionary" in her own mind (and happens to be an Aion player) is having a go at me for playing WoW.

WoW players are automatically epic fails.

WoW is a game for casual gamers and middleschoolers. Playing it neither makes you cool nor hardcore. Even Runescape has a higher difficulty level than WoW.

etc

And she prides herself on being smart. Hmm.

Silly elitists.

Shjade:

Natdaprat:
"let me keep my stuff if I die!"

WoW, casuals, bads, whatever else aside, this specific request I can never hold against anyone given my first MMO was Everquest just a couple of months after release.

Did you ever experience the fun of a long-distance corpse run in EQ due to having forgotten to rebind after changing continents?

How about trying to retrieve your corpse from one of the Planes in Downtown Badville?

No? That's not surprising, because it was not fun. It was terrible.

Oh, yeah, and if you couldn't do it within a period of time (fairly generous - something like 48 hours from death, I think), your corpse disappeared. With everything it had on it. All your gear, all your inventory, all your cash-in-pocket: poof! Gone now. Bye epics. Buh-bye. No backsies. So you couldn't just get frustrated and give up on it for too long, or you'd REALLY be giving up on it.

Maybe WoW has gone too far to the casual side of things now, I don't know, I'm not one to quibble about things like that for long. I can say that when I first started playing WoW (just before BC release) the tremendous number of user-friendly features compared to EQ's system was immediately apparent and welcome. I don't mind hard games - I like a good challenge. It's why I like to test the limits of what I can solo in MMO's: raiding is all well and good, but not really my cup of tea; soloing a raid instance, on the other hand, is a blast if I can pull it off. I do, however, mind games that are difficult in that they are actually hard to play due to UI problems, user-unfriendly design choices (Hey, you died! Now you lose the experience you just spent the last 7 hours grinding up. Way to completely waste a day's work!), graphical/geographical glitches (falling through the world isn't funny the first time, much less any time after the first), and so on.

I went off on a tangent. Point being, I never fault someone for wanting to avoid corpse-runs of the naked gear's-on-your-body variety. If someone's complaining about a ghost run or some other trivial penalty for dying, screw that, but if you just want to not lose your stuff when you die, I can sympathize with that.

I played UO pre-trammel, and EQ, and all the other games that punished players. Even recently Darkfall. Let me tell you that when there is consequences for your actions in an MMO, everything suddenly becomes more meaningful. Having to run for a minute to find your body, or spend a few measly coins on repairing gear is not consequence. Disregarding WoW's gear system, in which it is important, if gear was less important and easier to come by, then you wouldn't be so upset to lose it. WoW is very materialistic in the sense you need the best gear to be any good. MMO's in the past, and even rarely recently, challenged that and it worked.

Ultimately, each to their own. If you want to be constantly safe and risk free, living in a world that looks like it was drawn by a kid, then play WoW. If you want something more of a challenge that has risk/reward, you're out of luck, because WoW sucked any attention off of that idea.

As to why you put a misleading quote as my own, I do not understand. I don't like the WoW formula. Risk and reward is far more satisfying.

tofulove:
same logic can be applied to the beetles, the doors rolling stones and pink floyd, some things that are popular suck, but the things you listed are popular with kids, wow is mostly played by adults regardless of what people who have very little experience playing it say.

Technically the majority of WoW gamers are adults, but a high percentage of them are not mature. Barrens Chat is a prime example of what I'm talking about.

Nothing more than a bunch of underground playing wannabees.

"You want to CONFORM to world of warcraft, go do it, or you can be a REBEL and play Aion."

They ought to be commended for their advertising, resorting to childish peer pressure tactics.

Poor MMORPGs, has it really come to this?

I play EVE. It's more interesting to watch grow than it is to play. It's full of not quite realized possibilities. That is, unless you're all over playing the market or joining a corporation(clan). Sadly, your stats and loadout seem to mean more than actual skill, the number of characters with you disproportionally more than that.

Aion I was keen on until I watched the gameplay videos. After playing so, so many of EQ's progeny, you can quickly see that sort of combat flow. It wasn't very impressive, but still quite pretty.

EverQuest 2 was a barren wasteland of muddy graphics and critters that I gave on up at lvl 20ish. I don't even remember the name of the MMO I tried that was EQ 2.5. Something that looked and played only slightly better? (Vanguard: Saga of Heroes after a brief search)

I adore the space combat in Star Trek Online, but I think they're listening a bit too much to their forums and spending way too much time on ways to make more money out of the game before it dies. I believed in this game all through the beta because I wasn't able to see how unfinished everything after the beta content was. Some great writing. Ground Combat is generic as hell. End game content they're finally patching in is *still* buggy as hell. Great start, broke a leg halfway through, and now I'm not even sure it's trying to make it to the finish line.

Warhammer Online. Yeah, schizophrenia. I'm going with the idea that it was trying to be a cooler, PvP version of WoW. Very Interesting classes. Really boring instanced PvP. Really dead RvR and Group Event deals. And got bored and quite at lvl 30 something because the world seemed to just sort of peter off into saminess quazi-desolation.

Tabula Rasa was almost fun. RIP, although I never spent much time with you.

Ultima Online kinda lost it's charm when you realized that early converts to DSL and Cable ruled the world. And then gaming moved on and it became something totally different than it was. Kinda like the story I heard about the old Star Wars MMO, which also sounded painful to actually play.

Final Fantasy XI is the worst MMORPG I've ever played. When looking at a zone is painful, something has gone terribly wrong. Makes for great character screenshots, I guess?

So yeah, WoW. It's only getting better while the competition is either half of what WoW has become or just trying to get their act together in general. I can't wait for Cataclysm. Trying to level alts through Vanilla content (even with all the updates and ease of access) is painful as hell.

All Points Bulletin I'm almost interested enough in to see what's up. Global Agenda sat here for a while. I'm not even sure what The Old Republic is trying to be except a very scripted WoW(EQ) with Chest High Walls. Remember the part about being able to see EQ's combat flow? It's there, just really cinematic this time.

Who knows? Maybe Guild Wars 2 will come out of left field and finally impress me. I just didn't have the friends to pull me into the Nightfall X-pac on the original.

OK 'go back to WoW' is overused BUT sometimes its relevant. A VERY LARGE NUMBER of WoW players feel very uncomfortable dealing with anything that varies from their beloved game.

Usually the problem is that the person suggesting a change to the game is suggesting something straight out of WoW. "Why no arena plox" or "flying mounts plox" and thus justify a "Go back to WoW" attitude.

Most other MMO's are populated by people who didn't like WoW and thus fled for greener pastures. And the notion of kids tired of having their asses handed to them in PvP coming over to "our game" and trying to turn it into WoW with new graphics, or WoW in space, pisses people off.

It's like: If you want WoW, go play WoW, it's right there waiting for you. The rest of us want to play something different, so stop suggesting that the devs turn the game into WoW.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here