Review: Cave Story

One of the most well-known indie games in existence has finally gotten an official release on WiiWare.

Read Full Article

I always thought that it took more cues from Metroid than Mario with a gun...huh.

In fact. I not once thought of Mario. But you did get the Metroid comparisons in.

And that's key.

Did they ever fix the problems they had with the audio? If not, then there's really no reason to get the Wii version over the PC one, considering all the new stuff I hear is just a lazy afterthought (Curly Mode, the new translation is apparently horrendous word-for-word translation from the original Japanese).

Woe Is You:
Did they ever fix the problems they had with the audio? If not, then there's really no reason to get the Wii version over the PC one,

To support the developer of this amazing game?

EVEN MORE

The new graphics are a definite improvement, although the audio is iffy at best. Easily the best game of it's kind (IMO). From my viewpoint, it totally blows Metroid and Castlevania out of the water. I love this game to bits.

EXCEPT..... Damn it, I leave Curly in the room the the waterway EVERY TIME! Ugh. So unintuitive.

(BTW, Curly mode is really not worth it. Just play the regular mode. It's better. Quote is still mute while Curly can still talk. Makes no sense.)

Onyx Oblivion:

Woe Is You:
Did they ever fix the problems they had with the audio? If not, then there's really no reason to get the Wii version over the PC one,

EVEN MORE

From what I've been reading, the developer of the original really isn't getting much from people buying the port. He basically sold the full rights of the game to Nicalis. Same happened with Nifflas Nygren's (made Knytt Stories) Night Game.

Woe Is You:

Onyx Oblivion:

Woe Is You:

EVEN MORE

From what I've been reading, the developer of the original really isn't getting much from people buying the port. He basically sold the full rights of the game to Nicalis. Same happened with Nifflas Nygren's (made Knytt Stories) Night Game.

Ah. Then no reason.

...a hidden area that is the hardest in the game...

Oh god, is this an understatement. Bloody hell, it's one doozy of an understatement. There is a good reason it's called the Hell level.

Yeah, the audio isn't as great in the release, but the graphics are definitely much better. Although I was more upset at Balrog no longer saying "Huzzah!" just so he can imitate the Kool-Aid man. As a supporter of this game since 2008 (2009? I don't remember), I went and bought this the week after it came out. Fantastic title, and anyone even remotely interested in indie gaming should play this, either on WiiWare or its PC counterpart.

I was upset at not being able to mix and match audio, because while the new Cave Story (theme) is a tad grating, the new Moonsong is astounding. Ah well...

EDIT:

Nevyrmoore:

Oh god, is this an understatement. Bloody hell, it's one doozy of an understatement. There is a good reason it's called the Hell level.

Seconded. Hell WILL kill you, and it'll rejoice in doing so multiple times.

Did... did I just see "the level design is not on par with" LittleBigPlanet

What indignity will we suffer next? "La Mulana's inventory system is not on par with Doom"‽ "Elona suffers primarily from its depth, which hardly matches that seen in Final Fantasy XIII"‽

Oh, yeah, I remember meeting Tom Goldman at PAX. He said he was gonna review this, so I downloaded it. Having not played the original, I was still completely taken in by it's unique charm. And frantic shooter action. I'm not very far though; I went back to finally finishing World of Goo. Indie Games FTW!

RvLeshrac:
Did... did I just see "the level design is not on par with" LittleBigPlanet

What indignity will we suffer next? "La Mulana's inventory system is not on par with Doom"‽ "Elona suffers primarily from its depth, which hardly matches that seen in Final Fantasy XIII"‽

LittleBigPlanet is a shining example of clever and creative platforming level design, in this human's opinion.

Wait 15 dollars? Don't you mean 12 dollars Tom? Cave Story on Wiiware is 1200 Wiiware points, not Microsoft points. Might want to fix that little typo.

Still I haven't played the original but will wait until I start getting some income before I get my gaming back on.

I played the original version a while back when it was first going around as the latest Big Thing. If you haven't yet and have ever enjoyed any Metroidvania-type game even a little bit (I'd go so far as to put it in the same league as Super Metroid), go play this now. No, really. We'll wait.

By far one of the most fun games I've played in a long time.
I had it on my PSP awhile ago...and boy did I ever get some running time out of it.

Nice to see an old favourite make it into the Wiiware market.

I wish I had opportunity to play it but..alas.

Does look like it will be pretty shweet though!

Cave Story is the best isn't it? Still I see no reason to buy it. Free and legal is always the best choice for this consumer.

Tenmar:
Wait 15 dollars? Don't you mean 12 dollars Tom? Cave Story on Wiiware is 1200 Wiiware points, not Microsoft points. Might want to fix that little typo.

Still I haven't played the original but will wait until I start getting some income before I get my gaming back on.

Thank you. Gol'durned funny money points and such.

Cave Story has the best value-to-cost ratio of any platformer ever. It has great quality and it's free on the PC. If the stars align and I buy a Wii, I'll have to be high to get this on Wiiware.

Along with Braid and Light's End, this game is the best cheap platformer I've ever played. I recommend it to anyone. Four stars? I say: not enough.

If this got four stars, pray tell what received a five.

This game was awesome on PC. Alas, I don't have a Wii, so I can't play it's retail release.

Cave Story - both in freeware and Wiirelease forms - is one of the greatest platform/gun games ever. As a die-hard Metroidvania fan, I put this above Metroid Fusion, on par with Super Metroid, on par with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Cave Story is a truly remarkable game and a shining beacon of hope and wonder to anyone who has ever thought "Hey, maybe I should try to make a game."

Cave Story is incredible. I'm just saddened that they poked the common translation of it somewhat ("HUZZAH!" 4eva) and had some glitches with the new music. I hear the European release will get the fixed version, and the US version will be patched at the same time.

Quote and Curly Brace are the best. Alucard and Samus would be proud with their pint-sized imitators.

I think that this game deserves a high score, but I'm not convinced that there is any reason to pay to play freeware. Except if you don't have a PC. Which I'm sure will please someone. Somewhere.

But they are very unlikely to be someone who reads this magazine.

this and la mulana.

recommended out the ass.

when i got to playing them,

felt the "meh"

hard.

Heart of Darkness:
Yeah, the audio isn't as great in the release, but the graphics are definitely much better. Although I was more upset at Balrog no longer saying "Huzzah!" just so he can imitate the Kool-Aid man. As a supporter of this game since 2008 (2009? I don't remember), I went and bought this the week after it came out. Fantastic title, and anyone even remotely interested in indie gaming should play this, either on WiiWare or its PC counterpart.

I was upset at not being able to mix and match audio, because while the new Cave Story (theme) is a tad grating, the new Moonsong is astounding. Ah well...

EDIT:

Nevyrmoore:

I prefer the original Moonsong tbh. Also yeah, the Sacred Grounds will mess you up big time.

I played Cave Story this very year way before I even knew there was a Wii version(thank you TVTropes!). It's become 1 of the very rare games that I've played in recent times that I've actually loved. Loved so much that I would without hesitation buy the Wii version if I could to support its release. Seriously, people, you should ALL play this game. On Wii or PC.
Sure the difficulty shoots through the roof towards the end, but that's if you're asking for it(road to the best ending).

scifidownbeat:
Cave Story has the best value-to-cost ratio of any platformer ever. It has great quality and it's free on the PC. If the stars align and I buy a Wii, I'll have to be high to get this on Wiiware.

Along with Braid and Light's End, this game is the best cheap platformer I've ever played. I recommend it to anyone. Four stars? I say: not enough.

I agree. This game has got IMO a simply perfect pacing, a very wide variety of weapons and enemies, a great plot to keep you interested and also it's so damn fun. In addition, it has about 20 boss fights which become increasingly challenging and rewarding, including a hilarious one!

z(ombie)fan:
this and la mulana.

recommended out the ass.

felt the "meh"

hard.

It ain't hard until the very end. C'mon, it's very progressive, making you gradually brush up your skills as it gets harder...

Nalgas D. Lemur:
I played the original version a while back when it was first going around as the latest Big Thing. If you haven't yet and have ever enjoyed any Metroidvania-type game even a little bit (I'd go so far as to put it in the same league as Super Metroid), go play this now. No, really. We'll wait.

Ah, so I'm not the only one who believes this game rightfully rivals Metroid. Good to know!(PS:Link To The Past Rabbit Link FTW!)

Heart of Darkness:

EDIT:

Nevyrmoore:

1 of the best? I think it's the best! Wouldn't you agree? :-) Although I much prefer the original music. Man, I remember the chills I had when I went to the Outer Wall the 1st time, something a video game hadn't made me feel in a looong time. It was so awesome...

BobisOnlyBob:
Cave Story - both in freeware and Wiirelease forms - is one of the greatest platform/gun games ever. As a die-hard Metroidvania fan, I put this above Metroid Fusion, on par with Super Metroid, on par with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Cave Story is a truly remarkable game and a shining beacon of hope and wonder to anyone who has ever thought "Hey, maybe I should try to make a game."

Cave Story is incredible. I'm just saddened that they poked the common translation of it somewhat ("HUZZAH!" 4eva) and had some glitches with the new music. I hear the European release will get the fixed version, and the US version will be patched at the same time.

Quote and Curly Brace are the best. Alucard and Samus would be proud with their pint-sized imitators.

Couldn't agree more.

Tom Goldman:

One of the most well-known indie games in existence has finally gotten an official release on WiiWare.

Read Full Article

Hey if you played the PC version too, could you tell me what you think of the Wii version soundtrack?

Nevyrmoore:

Aw it's hard but definitely not impossible(there's a guy on youtube who did it with the basic gun and only 3HP, meaning without even getting hit. Seriously.) There are some tips, specially in the final battle, that will simplify your life though. Want them?

AgentChunk:
Cave Story is the best isn't it? Still I see no reason to buy it. Free and legal is always the best choice for this consumer.

For most digital consumers, yes. But a small payment for premiums makes the Wii Price worth it.

"Short"? I wonder if he ever got to the 'good' ending..

sinclose:

Nevyrmoore:

Aw it's hard but definitely not impossible(there's a guy on youtube who did it with the basic gun and only 3HP, meaning without even getting hit. Seriously.) There are some tips, specially in the final battle, that will simplify your life though. Want them?

I would like some tips, if no one else does. I've started a new run after getting bogged down trying to get the good ending and I've just cleared Grasstown. Current weapon set is: Polar Star, Missile Launcher, Fireball and Bubbler

The Eupho Guy:

sinclose:

Nevyrmoore:

I would like some tips, if no one else does. I've started a new run after getting bogged down trying to get the good ending and I've just cleared Grasstown. Current weapon set is: Polar Star, Missile Launcher, Fireball and Bubbler

1st of all, you should know that in order to get the powered up Polar Star(Spur), ie the strongest weapon in the entire game that gets leveled up simply by charging it, you MUST deny both opportunities you get to trade the polar star. Also, you'll require the Booster v2.0.
see below for guides:
http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/guides/CaveStoryFAQ.txt(the one I used most)
http://www.veflaxia.net/index.php?section=articles&article=w-doukutsu&chapter=1(interactive walkthrough)
http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/guides/cave_story.txt(neatly tells you how to obtain powered up polar star)

Also, for the true final boss,

Youtube has got videos showing how to clear sacred grounds and tactics against bosses. Here's one vid for the final fight:

Less than 2 minutes.

Sol_HSA:

I agree. It's not short by any means, it's a decent length.

The Eupho Guy:
I prefer the original Moonsong tbh. Also yeah, the Sacred Grounds will mess you up big time.

Well, the newer version does do some things better than the original, and some things worse than the original. Eh. Aesthetics, I guess.

sinclose:
1 of the best? I think it's the best! Wouldn't you agree? :-) Although I much prefer the original music. Man, I remember the chills I had when I went to the Outer Wall the 1st time, something a video game hadn't made me feel in a looong time. It was so awesome...

Well, don't forget about Running Hell, Hero's End, Final Battle, Gravity,...hell, the whole soundtrack actually should be reason enough to play this game.

The Eupho Guy:

Go with what sinclose said, but here are some things I found work for me if speed isn't an issue for you:

Hope that helps.

sinclose:

Sol_HSA:

I agree. It's not short by any means, it's a decent length.

He, I mean I, did get the good ending, but Cave Story could still be beaten in a single lengthy play session. Hence, it's fairly short, as opposed to very short, but as I say has decent replay value.

sinclose:
I played Cave Story this very year way before I even knew there was a Wii version(thank you TVTropes!). It's become 1 of the very rare games that I've played in recent times that I've actually loved. Loved so much that I would without hesitation buy the Wii version if I could to support its release. Seriously, people, you should ALL play this game. On Wii or PC.
Sure the difficulty shoots through the roof towards the end, but that's if you're asking for it(road to the best ending).

scifidownbeat:

I agree. This game has got IMO a simply perfect pacing, a very wide variety of weapons and enemies, a great plot to keep you interested and also it's so damn fun. In addition, it has about 20 boss fights which become increasingly challenging and rewarding, including a hilarious one!

z(ombie)fan:
this and la mulana.

recommended out the ass.

felt the "meh"

hard.

It ain't hard until the very end. C'mon, it's very progressive, making you gradually brush up your skills as it gets harder...

Nalgas D. Lemur:

Ah, so I'm not the only one who believes this game rightfully rivals Metroid. Good to know!(PS:Link To The Past Rabbit Link FTW!)

Heart of Darkness:

EDIT:

Nevyrmoore:

BobisOnlyBob:

Couldn't agree more.

Tom Goldman:

Read Full Article

Hey if you played the PC version too, could you tell me what you think of the Wii version soundtrack?

Nevyrmoore:

in reply to the part replying to me (argh that sounded better in my head.):

i mean cave story is so mind bogglingly easy, i mean, the ILLUSION of difulty is easy to pull off, so at least do THAT

and la-mulana is only hard cause of unresponsive controls and bullshit situations thrown at right at the begiining. also the english patch presumably farks something up >.<

by

"i felt the meh

hard"

i mean that if "meh" was a baseball bat, it would have hit me in the face. im serious there boring.

on the flip side i DID like cave story's... well .... story. heh.

It's cute, and fun, but surprisingly difficult. Not unfairly difficult though.

AgentChunk:

Yeah, I don't understand how it can be free for one platform and not another. But, excellent game! He must have to make his money somehow.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here