Publisherís Club

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Kuliani:

Please note that no one is losing anything due to the Publisher's Club subscription service, but those that are classy enough to sign up will gain a more enjoyable experience at The Escapist!

You are right! I already block all the ads anyways, don't care about RSS feeds, podcasts, behind the scenes, custom title, early access to site features or whatever else.
High def would be nice but eh, it just uses more bandwidth and its not like the stuff I watch needs it badly.

Not worth $10 to me, thankfully because I can't afford to buy anything except a bit of food and MAYBE gas until next month anyways but it is not that bad of an idea for those who want to (and can) support the escapist at a very low and sane and decent price.

Mod Edit: Blocking ads is being rude to everyone that works for this site. -Kuliani

Virgil:

DragonsAteMyMarbles:

I'm having the same problem. Anyone know if there's a way to subscribe via a non-US Amazon thing?

darthmob:
I would be interested in that as well. amazon.de for example allows to pay per direct debit. I don't own a credit card and I don't plan on ever getting one so that would be nice.

Amazon payments should work internationally - they say they do, and there appears to be plenty of international signups. Try logging in with the same account you use on Amazon.de. Unfortunately this kind of thing is what we have to take them at their word on, as I can't actually test international payments personally.

Just to let you know I've just paid via Amazon UK.. no idea yet if it's been set up, but the payment went through so I assume all's fine.

Anyway, $10 is effectively nothing for something I read (almost) every day, especially saying I spend £'s a week on other magazines/newspapers. It's a great, and presumeably much needed, idea. I do have one gripe however - I absolutely despise recurring payment systems. It surely can't be that hard to tell people their subscription is running out, especially as it is only once per year, rather than forcing them into a recurring sub? It's the only thing that almost put me off signing up, but have no fear, I paid anyway.

Virgil:

Insanum:
I know we're not losing anything if we dont pay, but things that are being added to members only would've been stuff that was added to everone before.

That's exactly my point - these are not things that we could give everyone, for a variety of reasons. Well, I suppose we could add a new general discussion forum, but we already have one, so if it wasn't limited in some other way it really wouldn't mean anything.

Custom titles could be given to everyone for free. Not that it matters.

I said to myself, "No way" at first, but then warmed up to the idea. I'd really like to support the Escapist, but for this I'd really like a Paypal option. Unless it's a possibility, I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass (especially since the 50% offer is only until April 21st and I doubt there'll be a Paypal possibility within the week). How about it?

dannymc18:
It surely can't be that hard to tell people their subscription is running out, especially as it is only once per year, rather than forcing them into a recurring sub? It's the only thing that almost put me off signing up, but have no fear, I paid anyway.

If you do not want a recurring subscription, cancel it immediately after you make payment. The subscription will not run out until 1 year passes and you will not auto renew. Simple.

ManiacEskimo:
Custom titles could be given to everyone for free. Not that it matters.

Except not. If everyone had any title they wanted, there would be a moderation problem and people making inappropriate titles that need deleting. By paying 10 dollars, it is like a "built in filter" that mostly prevents problems before they start.

Virgil:

DragonsAteMyMarbles:

I'm having the same problem. Anyone know if there's a way to subscribe via a non-US Amazon thing?

darthmob:
I would be interested in that as well. amazon.de for example allows to pay per direct debit. I don't own a credit card and I don't plan on ever getting one so that would be nice.

Amazon payments should work internationally - they say they do, and there appears to be plenty of international signups. Try logging in with the same account you use on Amazon.de. Unfortunately this kind of thing is what we have to take them at their word on, as I can't actually test international payments personally.

My german amazon.de account works, but it still only accepts credit cards, and no debits, so i have to wait for a paypal option or just can't become a member,too.
sorry i don't want a credit card and even if i love this site, i won't get one just for that.

See, if this could be done through PayPal, I'd be all over it. Seriously. I registered during the MM at the VALVe vs Zynga call for arms, and I already love the site. I'd gladly pay those 10$, if I could use Paypal.

But it uses Amazon. And I hate Amazon.

IS MY MONEY NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU, THE ESCAPIST?!?! *Shakes fists in blind rage*

Jiraiya72:

dannymc18:
It surely can't be that hard to tell people their subscription is running out, especially as it is only once per year, rather than forcing them into a recurring sub? It's the only thing that almost put me off signing up, but have no fear, I paid anyway.

If you do not want a recurring subscription, cancel it immediately after you make payment. The subscription will not run out until 1 year passes and you will not auto renew. Simple.

Of course it's simple, but it should be like that from the start. Then, if people want to insitigate a recurring subscription, they can 'simply' do the above.

I like the Escapist, quite a bit. There aren't many sites I'd do this for, not many at all. So, there we go.

It's really annoying that Amazon Payments doesn't support Maestro when Amazon UK does, however. Also, no PayPal; I was wondering if Visa Delta debit cards would work, and mine did, but if that had failed you'd have missed out. Try to get a better payment service under your belt.

Weird sudden change of policy. Don't know why but I find The Escapist adds to be quite informative.

OT: Considering I like being average, I won't join. Anyway, I hope to donate something, in a more distant future when I'll be making my own money.
You know what, throw in a date with Kathleen De Vere or a Tickle-me-Susan Arendt- doll and I'll pay a 100$.(Don't judge me! I've got my reasons)

I'm not that fussed about the extra features but I'll sign up anyway just to support the site.

Only one thing stopping me right now - no PayPal support for payments.

I refuse to sign to Amazon Payments when I already have a PayPal account. One anonymous impossible-to-contact behemoth poking into my bank account is enough. If The Escapist fixes this and adds a PayPal option (hopefully by the 21st so I get the veteran discount rate) I'll sign up immediately.

Well, I've just signed up, but I wouldn't mind a comment on my original enquiry, if anybody's got the time to answer.

Andronicus:
I don't know if anyone's touched on this subject yet, but I have to ask.

While I'll most definitely be handing my hard-earned cash over to the Escapist (customs titles? Where do I sign?), I just wanted to know if people outside America will finally be able to enter Escapist competitions?

While I can sort of understand why normal contests would be for American citizens only, the list of benefits for subscribing offers "members-only contests", but it would seem a little self-defeating if the only paying members that can enter are those who live in the US. Are people living outside America effectively paying the same amount of money whilst receiving less content than Americans?

I understand why this would be of concern to you. I'm afraid the short answer at the moment is "yes." And I agree that doesn't feel right, considering how many of our loyal and valued community members are outside of the States.

I can't really speak to the exact reasons why we can't allow non-US citizens into the contests, but I understand there are serious legal ramifications there that we are helpless to do anything about.

Still, it's not really fair, is it? Let me raise the point to the rest of the folks here in the office and see if there isn't some sort of concession we can make to our non-US Publisher's Club members to make it up to you lot. I can't promise anything, but I will definitely see what can be done.

Virgil:

It does work internationally, it just doesn't accept debit cards for some odd reason. If you were to set up an alternative option like Amazon.co.uk or paypal, which seems to be the more popular option, then those of us that have debit cards instead of credit cards will be able to subscribe.

P.S. can you tell me as soon as you get an alternative set up (if you do), I would like to subscribe as soon as possible.

Susan Arendt:

Hileict:

Plus, not to sound harsh or anything, but I could hardly call people like Yahtzee or Marion "game journalists/reviewers". To review a game, you play it properly and give an unbiased opinion/viewpoint.. Not just drop it because you're "rather bored". It's your job. Do it properly or let someone else who actually will.

Ahem..

You do realize that Marion is a fictional character and that Reliable Source is satire, right?

You also realize that The Escapist hosts a number of reviewers, of course?

Susan,

So I take it, "Nerd Queen" was your handpicked title?

Amused!

10BIT:
P.S. can you tell me as soon as you get an alternative set up (if you do), I would like to subscribe as soon as possible.

I spent most of today working on PayPal. I'm pretty sure that it'll be working by the end of the week - I'll make sure we make a small news post when we have it in so everyone that has asked for it knows.

jtesauro:

Susan Arendt:

Hileict:

Plus, not to sound harsh or anything, but I could hardly call people like Yahtzee or Marion "game journalists/reviewers". To review a game, you play it properly and give an unbiased opinion/viewpoint.. Not just drop it because you're "rather bored". It's your job. Do it properly or let someone else who actually will.

Ahem..

You do realize that Marion is a fictional character and that Reliable Source is satire, right?

You also realize that The Escapist hosts a number of reviewers, of course?

Susan,

Amused!

Damn straight. :) Glad you like it.

So generally how long does it take for the features to kick in? I paid, got my badge but I still see the ads, and I can't watch the hi-def videos. =/

I want to do this...I really do, but I don't really watch any videos other than ZP (and that in hi-def ain't too enticing). Plus, my title would feel worthless because I gave it to myself (unlike having you wonderful folks come up with creative ones for me). Sure there is a badge, but I'm no badge hunter (or else I'd be bugging Susan for that Chicken badge 0_0). $10 ain't bad, but I'll have to ponder this a little bit more before I give up a quarter of what I have in my bank account (I'm a poor college kid, give me a break).

Susan Arendt:

Hileict:

Amused!

Damn straight. :) Glad you like it.

My favorite is Russ Pitts' "The Boss of You". His avatar looming and pointing at you adds to the feeling that he really is the boss of me.
/tremble

10BIT:

Virgil:

It does work internationally, it just doesn't accept debit cards for some odd reason. If you were to set up an alternative option like Amazon.co.uk or paypal, which seems to be the more popular option, then those of us that have debit cards instead of credit cards will be able to subscribe.

It accepted my debit card...?

Thanks for the offer but I'll pass. Maybe if the incentives were a bit more to my taste I would join in but for now, an extra title and a privite forum aren't enough to warrant my intrest.

I'll definitly keep my eye on this though

gmacarthur81:
So generally how long does it take for the features to kick in? I paid, got my badge but I still see the ads, and I can't watch the hi-def videos. =/

Ya how long does it take? I just bought it.

ravensshade:

newuseforvintage:
*snip*

It has all the little credit card gifs and options (visa, mastercard etc.) but your debit card will work because it runs through the same channel. So, for example, my debit card is registered with Visa so I just picked the Visa option and it worked fine.

At least that's the way it is here in Aus. I assumed it'd be true most of the rest of the 1st world. We do so lag behind technology wise :-P

the only thing it says on my card is maestro which ISN'T a payment option.. oh well.. bugger it then..

I'm pretty sure Maestro is the international arm of Visa, like Mastercard has Cirrus.
Try using the visa option? If it doesn't work you haven't lost anything.

Virgil:

ultimateownage:
I have a question, do you only get to choose your title once or are you able to change it?

As many times as you want.

I can guarenty that someone will turn them into status update type things

Russ Pitts:
I understand why this would be of concern to you. I'm afraid the short answer at the moment is "yes." And I agree that doesn't feel right, considering how many of our loyal and valued community members are outside of the States.

I can't really speak to the exact reasons why we can't allow non-US citizens into the contests, but I understand there are serious legal ramifications there that we are helpless to do anything about.

Still, it's not really fair, is it? Let me raise the point to the rest of the folks here in the office and see if there isn't some sort of concession we can make to our non-US Publisher's Club members to make it up to you lot. I can't promise anything, but I will definitely see what can be done.

If you just try, just try to make it up, you've already done 5000x more than most other international sites based on the US. Seriously. From Spain: Thank you.

Aaarrrggghhh... Amazon or not, I feel I'm gonna end up biting. I'll bring it up with the pillow, methinks.

Tuddle:

gmacarthur81:

Try logging in and out, that should fix it.

Virgil:

10BIT:

I spent most of today working on PayPal. I'm pretty sure that it'll be working by the end of the week - I'll make sure we make a small news post when we have it in so everyone that has asked for it knows.

Great, I was hoping you'd get around to something like this eventually, but immediately is even better :D

I'll sign up as soon as this works.

Nimbus:

It accepted my debit card...?

It seems to accept some debit cards (I've noticed a couple of posts before of people saying they've got debit cards to work) but not mine. I use a Maestro which, although owned by mastercard, didn't work when I tried selecting 'mastercard' as card type, visa didn't work either and none of the others look like a plausible option.

Virgil:

Thanks! One of the main reasons why I like the escapist so much is due the all the effort the administrators[1] clearly put into the website.

[1] This is the right term to call you guys by isn't it? or would you rather be called something else?

So why do you need a paying service now, again?

Russ Pitts:

Andronicus:
I don't know if anyone's touched on this subject yet, but I have to ask.

While I'll most definitely be handing my hard-earned cash over to the Escapist (customs titles? Where do I sign?), I just wanted to know if people outside America will finally be able to enter Escapist competitions?

While I can sort of understand why normal contests would be for American citizens only, the list of benefits for subscribing offers "members-only contests", but it would seem a little self-defeating if the only paying members that can enter are those who live in the US. Are people living outside America effectively paying the same amount of money whilst receiving less content than Americans?

Thanks Russ, much appreciated. Of course, I love the Escapist, and am willing to help it in any way I can (within financial reason, of course. Love isn't cheap, y'know). I just get so disappointed when I see the "US residents only" stamp on something that looks genuinely interesting.

Well, I'm off to check out what kind of sweet unlocks are waiting for me!

Mantonio:
So why do you need a paying service now, again?

Why do we users need one? We don't it's showing our support to the site
Why does the site need one? Just a guess but I think it might be something similar to this

John Funk:

Tuddle:

gmacarthur81:

Try logging in and out, that should fix it.

Nothing has happened so far.

Virgil:

DragonsAteMyMarbles:

darthmob:

Amazon accounts do work internationally as far as I know. It's just that the payment options seem to depend on the domain (different payment options for amazon.de / .co.uk / .com).

Virgil:

That's good news! Paypal works fine for me (they offer direct debit for verified accounts as well).

woot! paypal possibility! I'm eagerly waiting to give you my money.
*sits by computer with his ten dollars in eager anticipation*
any minute now!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook