Publisher’s Club

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

I saw ad-free and had to subscribe. Great job, considering everything else that I got with it was for me a bonus. That was a $10 well spent.

Un-amused Joker:

xmetatr0nx:
I have considered this option for the past day. After seeing the over all poor execution of this new program. The bad "jokes", attitude of the staff, and just over all arrogance lightly tinted with "oh haha were such jokers", which has made me want to square up with a few of you in the parking lot. I have decided to withold my 10 dollars, they will be better spent with greenpeace.

Careful, you might get probation for that.

You have such a fire and verve to your writing, metatr0n, I can't shake the feeling that we somehow know each other.

Think so? I was under the impression that i was lacking in "friends" around here...mostly of my own accord (some people find me crude, mean, and just kind of an ass). But thats ok, as for being put in the naughty corner...i shouldnt say more. Why so un-amused joker?

xmetatr0nx:

Un-amused Joker:

xmetatr0nx:
I have considered this option for the past day. After seeing the over all poor execution of this new program. The bad "jokes", attitude of the staff, and just over all arrogance lightly tinted with "oh haha were such jokers", which has made me want to square up with a few of you in the parking lot. I have decided to withold my 10 dollars, they will be better spent with greenpeace.

Careful, you might get probation for that.

You have such a fire and verve to your writing, metatr0n, I can't shake the feeling that we somehow know each other.

Think so? I was under the impression that i was lacking in "friends" around here...mostly of my own accord (some people find me crude, mean, and just kind of an ass). But thats ok, as for being put in the naughty corner...i shouldnt say more. Why so un-amused joker?

Because.

There once was a place I could go for stimulating conversation and debate. There was a place that had very cool, and very funny video content. There was a place, metatr0n, called the Escapist, where all these things could be found and more.

And now it's gone.

Where once you could have an honest conversation and debate on everything from video games to pop culture to the theory of buggery, now you get labeled an internet troll for simply not being convinced that you're wrong and deigning to keep coming back. Every other thread is so similar to the last that the search bar sheriffs threw in the towel and hung up their guns. The mods have lost any resemblance of a sense of humor and completely innocent posters are getting banned by association.

And I am so pathetic that I can't stop coming here to mess with people. I tried to describe it to my wife as an internet game that only I know I'm playing. And I just can't stop.

EDIT: Look look! I'm not spamming! Jerks. OT: If you can't be mean, or crude, or any kind of ass on the internet, where can you be one?

E-check has been sent. now 3-5 business day wait.
Any minute now. :D

Un-amused Joker:
There once was a place I could go for stimulating conversation and debate. There was a place that had very cool, and very funny video content. There was a place, metatr0n, called the Escapist, where all these things could be found and more.

And now it's gone.

How long ago was it here, exactly? I ask as, being a rather new member who finds parts of this site fairly entertaining (other sections just don't interest me), I wonder how much cooler and funnier it must have been before that now, by comparison, it lacks these qualities in your assessment.

Part of me also wonders how often (and why) you've made new accounts here given the join date clashes with the content of your posts, but I suppose that isn't really important. Just a point curiosity on my part.

Susan Arendt:

Hileict:

Plus, not to sound harsh or anything, but I could hardly call people like Yahtzee or Marion "game journalists/reviewers". To review a game, you play it properly and give an unbiased opinion/viewpoint.. Not just drop it because you're "rather bored". It's your job. Do it properly or let someone else who actually will.

Ahem..

You do realize that Marion is a fictional character and that Reliable Source is satire, right?

You also realize that The Escapist hosts a number of reviewers, of course?

all my hero's eventually turn out to be either zeros or ones..........

OT: join the collective, you know you want to.

Shjade:

Un-amused Joker:

And now it's gone.

How long ago was it here, exactly? I ask as, being a rather new member who finds parts of this site fairly entertaining (other sections just don't interest me), I wonder how much cooler and funnier it must have been before that now, by comparison, it lacks these qualities in your assessment.

Part of me also wonders how often (and why) you've made new accounts here given the join date clashes with the content of your posts, but I suppose that isn't really important. Just a point curiosity on my part.

Well, my forum going friend, I remember a time here when they had a shows by different content providers. Excellent shows like There will be Brawl (though the ending was almost pure suck and an invincibility star), De-rez, and Arcadocalypse. Now they have one good show, and three flavors of crap by Jon Etheridge, who beats his 18-month-old girl, he wrote me and told me so.

The only good show? Zero Punctuation. And now the Escapist is offering you am opportunity to pay money to watch an animated web-comic in hi-rez. Go watch the comparison video yourself. There is no damn difference at all. Look at the edges of anything, the little squares are even bigger now. Also, did't used to get banned for voicing your dissent. Ask DarkSaber.

As for the discrepancy between my account join dates and my bitching about the old days can very easily be explained by lurking. I'm not not going to suggest that getting banned is something that can be easily circumvented if you know how to use the internet. Everyone knows, when you get banned, you stay banned! Just ask Pimppeteer 2.

Un-amused Joker:
Well, my forum going friend, I remember a time here when they had a shows by different content providers. Excellent shows like There will be Brawl (though the ending was almost pure suck and an invincibility star), De-rez, and Arcadocalypse. Now they have one good show, and three flavors of crap by Jon Etheridge, who beats his 18-month-old girl, he wrote me and told me so.

Ah, that must be the cause of my confusion, given I haven't watched those shows at all - they fall into the category of "doesn't interest me," which is fairly broad. I was thinking more about the articles and stories than the visuals, but I suppose this is a different strokes situation.

That said, despite the show's art being simplistic to the point of HD being unnecessary in the extreme, the ZP videos do look more crisp to me in the HQ version - I can watch them in full screen without grimacing at the distortion. Comparing it to the podcast - which isn't in high quality - makes the difference readily apparent, but it's a small matter, really.

As for increasing sensitivity with regard to bans, I wouldn't know. I tend to only visit the threads that are comments on articles/reviews I found of interest and the occasional ZP/Escape to the Movies comment section, with random other threads that catch my eye on the front page. I juggle enough 'net time as it is without adding a whole forum to my watch list.

I dunno, maybe I just happen to have only exposed myself to the good parts of the site and, as such, completely missed out on the bad. I suppose it's possible - obliviousness does happen from time to time, or so I'm told.

Nurb:
So long as I'm not made to feel like a jerk for not paying for what I've always come to the site to enjoy for what has always been free, I don't care if they have subs.

Just because I want to experience the site as I always have doesn't mean I suddenly "don't support the Escapist" now that some things are pay-for

If you don't block our ads, you support the site just fine. :)

(Of course, the shiny extra features will always be waiting for you if you feel it's worth your while down the road.)

Shjade:

Un-amused Joker:

Ah, that must be the cause of my confusion, given I haven't watched those shows at all - they fall into the category of "doesn't interest me," which is fairly broad. I was thinking more about the articles and stories than the visuals, but I suppose this is a different strokes situation.

That said, despite the show's art being simplistic to the point of HD being unnecessary in the extreme, the ZP videos do look more crisp to me in the HQ version - I can watch them in full screen without grimacing at the distortion. Comparing it to the podcast - which isn't in high quality - makes the difference readily apparent, but it's a small matter, really.

As for increasing sensitivity with regard to bans, I wouldn't know. I tend to only visit the threads that are comments on articles/reviews I found of interest and the occasional ZP/Escape to the Movies comment section, with random other threads that catch my eye on the front page. I juggle enough 'net time as it is without adding a whole forum to my watch list.

I dunno, maybe I just happen to have only exposed myself to the good parts of the site and, as such, completely missed out on the bad. I suppose it's possible - obliviousness does happen from time to time, or so I'm told.

If you can honestly say that you gotta have a hi-rez version of ZP, then go ahead and plunk your money down. If you are as new as you say, than you may enjoy the direction the site is moving in, indeed, that is one of my points.

This site has stopped being a place for me, outside of trolling, and has started to be a place for you. It is a different strokes situation, you are correct, however, seeing as I'm unemployed at the moment I honestly have nothing better to do than complain about stuff. I freely admit it's pathetic.

EDIT: But not as pathetic as giving as user probation for taking what mods say and placing them in their proper context. Thought I court a ban for this, I tell you now that ever since the Escapist has moved more toward being a pay-site, the Mods have gotten very particular about what is and is not trolling. I just took a quote from the Community Director that suggested I am without class for not being fooled by this bonanza, placed it next to a user who worried about being made to feel bad for not paying, and now that is an infraction, when all I did was read what everyone had wrote, like I'm supposed to, and letting people have enough rope to hang themselves with. Allow me to re-post the exchange.

Nurb:

Un-amused Joker:

Nurb:
So long as I'm not made to feel like a jerk for not paying for what I've always come to the site to enjoy for what has always been free, I don't care if they have subs.

Just because I want to experience the site as I always have doesn't mean I suddenly "don't support the Escapist" now that some things are pay-for

Kuliani:

Please note that no one is losing anything due to the Publisher's Club subscription service, but those that are classy enough to sign up will gain a more enjoyable experience at The Escapist!

This is a bad sign. Now Nurb isn't classy! I wonder how Nurb feels about that?

I should have guessed, and from an Escapist dude! At first I was "an active member of the community", now I'm a "classless asshole that doesn't care about the site" since the subscriptions came about.

Super.

Un-amused Joker:
If you can honestly say that you gotta have a hi-rez version of ZP, then go ahead and plunk your money down. If you are as new as you say, than you may enjoy the direction the site is moving in, indeed, that is one of my points.

This site has stopped being a place for me, outside of trolling, and has started to be a place for you.

I can't say I have to have hi-res ZP. I can say it seemed like a comfortably low price for me to pay for a few minor conveniences: the auto-entry into contests I'd probably not otherwise notice to join, the removal of ads (I occasionally like to go back and watch a few episodes of ZP in a row just for the hell of it and waiting for an ad movie to load before each one is tedious), the forum title (minor thing, but hell, why not), and essentially as a small donation. I could afford it; not everyone can, I realize that. It doesn't make me better or you worse; it's not a question of being "classy" or so on. It's an option I decided to take - nothing more, nothing less.

The second comment interests me more: what do you mean by it starting to be a place for me? Do you know me better than I think you do? What exactly is "a place for me" and why can't that place also be a place for you? You seem like a witty fellow, if perhaps a bit down in the dumps at the moment - we all have our bad days/weeks/months/years, and I'm sure being unemployed doesn't help with that problem - so why can't we enjoy the same things?

Shjade:

Un-amused Joker:

This site has stopped being a place for me, outside of trolling, and has started to be a place for you.

I can't say I have to have hi-res ZP. I can say it seemed like a comfortably low price for me to pay for a few minor conveniences: the auto-entry into contests I'd probably not otherwise notice to join, the removal of ads (I occasionally like to go back and watch a few episodes of ZP in a row just for the hell of it and waiting for an ad movie to load before each one is tedious), the forum title (minor thing, but hell, why not), and essentially as a small donation. I could afford it; not everyone can, I realize that. It doesn't make me better or you worse; it's not a question of being "classy" or so on. It's an option I decided to take - nothing more, nothing less.

The second comment interests me more: what do you mean by it starting to be a place for me? Do you know me better than I think you do? What exactly is "a place for me" and why can't that place also be a place for you? You seem like a witty fellow, if perhaps a bit down in the dumps at the moment - we all have our bad days/weeks/months/years, and I'm sure being unemployed doesn't help with that problem - so why can't we enjoy the same things?

Friend, you asked me why I felt the way I felt and I told you. The site you enjoy for it's own worth has betrayed me. If you enjoy it, fine, twenty bucks isn't that much, you're right. I'm not gonna pay for a product that has mostly disappointed me for the last six months. Nor will I not say anything when the mods start a reign of censorship over dissent.

I feel a ban coming on, see you on the flip side.

Alas. At least we could have a reasonable conversation about it - too often discussions of such feelings spiral into flames. Hope things improve for you soon.

Shjade:
Alas. At least we could have a reasonable conversation about it - too often discussions of such feelings spiral into flames. Hope things improve for you soon.

Thank you. I hope you enjoy your membership.

I'm pretty miffed at this, tbh. Not because of the idea of an exclusive club, because I'd sign up immediately, but because the half-price action only lasts until the 21st, I'm flat broke, and my money comes in the 24th. D:

Oh well, just gonna have to wait then I guess. *cue sad music*

Strategia:
I'm pretty miffed at this, tbh. Not because of the idea of an exclusive club, because I'd sign up immediately, but because the half-price action only lasts until the 21st, I'm flat broke, and my money comes in the 24th. D:

haha that's to bad. I'm just glad they added paypal support before the deal ended.
edit: well the first line sounded cruel.. i'm feeling for ya

Virgil:
It's a full year at once. 83 cents a month would really suck to collect ;)

I don't have the stamina to read through the 400 posts in this thread, so I am not sure this has been answered:
- Does this $10 veterans offer cover a full year of membership (12 months), or only until the end of 2010?
- How is the revenue divided amongst staff and content providers?
- Is The Escapist going broke?
- Does Mr Pitts need spinners for his Hummer?
- Is this recurred billing or manual payment?
- Will premium content make my PC feel less depressed and old?
- Is Susan single?
- Can we vote Unskippable off the island?
- Will we be able to buffer an entire HD video without automatic throttling?
- Can we get I Hit It With My Axe without all the pointless sexual innuendo?
- What's with all the sex references on The Escapist lately? They are in abnormal abundance.
- Is Norway going to be excluded from contests?
- Will I be allowed to perform the 'thorough cough' whenever I want?
- Finally, as subscribers, will we be allowed more frequent direct communication with Jon Etheridge? Is Jon single?

$10 is nothing to me. It's like one Bitspower dual rotary 90 degree fitting. In fact I may have already decided. But a few answers to these nagging questions would be damned appreciated.

I think this is a great idea :D Well done guys.
Also, Yup I joined.

Strategia:

The "half-off" action has been extended by a week, so you should be fine.

Since you guys are so great about supporting great contributors like the LRR crew I have no trouble shooting you a few bucks a year, especially when I'm getting something out of it as well.

Damn, you have PayPal now? I would have preferred to use PayPal but oh well, either way I still get the epic benefits.

The Rogue Wolf:
Here, let me put out a theorem and see if the site staff agrees.

Visiting the Escapist = supporting the Escapist
Participating in the Escapist community = supporting the Escapist
Joining the Publisher's Club = supporting the Escapist

Add in...

Telling other people to visit The Escapist = supporting The Escapist

... and you're absolutely correct.

Earthmonger:
I don't have the stamina to read through the 400 posts in this thread, so I am not sure this has been answered:
- Does this $10 veterans offer cover a full year of membership (12 months), or only until the end of 2010?
- How is the revenue divided amongst staff and content providers?
- Is The Escapist going broke?
- Does Mr Pitts need spinners for his Hummer?
- Is this recurred billing or manual payment?
- Will premium content make my PC feel less depressed and old?
- Is Susan single?
- Can we vote Unskippable off the island?
- Will we be able to buffer an entire HD video without automatic throttling?
- Can we get I Hit It With My Axe without all the pointless sexual innuendo?
- What's with all the sex references on The Escapist lately? They are in abnormal abundance.
- Is Norway going to be excluded from contests?
- Will I be allowed to perform the 'thorough cough' whenever I want?
- Finally, as subscribers, will we be allowed more frequent direct communication with Jon Etheridge? Is Jon single?

- 365 days
- It's not. It goes into the company, which then pays everyone (staff and content providers)
- Nope
- Who doesn't?
- Recurring by default. You can cancel any time, including immediately.
- Maybe.
- No.
- No.
- Yes.
- No.
- We're being brainwashed by spam.
- Contest rules are unaffected by this.
- Only in the privacy of your own home.
- Both of those are up to Jon

Choosing a title is hard...

I've went through the following:

JRPG and WRPG Lover
Chrono Crosser
Jolly Fat Gamer
Ace Attorney
Power Ranger

yay Paypal. Count me in now.

You know, 10 dollars a year is not an unreasonable price. However, my cynical nature did not fail to notice that at the exact same time as this, ZP videos are suddenly viewed with a huge and very distracting ad for Fallen Earth framed around the entire video. Not missing out on any content is one thing, but there is such a thing as being slightly too diligent in advertising at people who don't pay.

Shamanic Rhythm:
You know, 10 dollars a year is not an unreasonable price. However, my cynical nature did not fail to notice that at the exact same time as this, ZP videos are suddenly viewed with a huge and very distracting ad for Fallen Earth framed around the entire video. Not missing out on any content is one thing, but there is such a thing as being slightly too diligent in advertising at people who don't pay.

These aren't something new - we've been doing them for a few months. The timing is pure coincidence though. While it might be hard to believe, unless there's a contest or something tied into it, nobody outside the ad sales team (and maybe an artist) know anything about what ads we're running at any given time.

Kuliani:

SikOseph:

Kuliani:

Please note that no one is losing anything due to the Publisher's Club subscription service, but those that are classy enough to sign up will gain a more enjoyable experience at The Escapist!

Is this a guarantee that video quality will not be diminished for standard users? If so, then good show and good luck. If not, then BAD ESCAPIST! I strongly suspect the former is the case though, so as I said, good show and good luck.

Correct, you will still see the videos exactly as they are now if you do not subscribe. Along with their ads. All those nice, pretty, enjoyable ads. Mmmmmm. I love watching ads, even those flash ones on the forums that slow my computer down a little. Those subscribers are missing out on all the wonderful distractions! http://www.escapistmagazine.com/registration/subscribe

:)

I'm sorry, but that is the best advert for anything I have ever seen! :L

Thanks for adding the pay-pal option. My rubbish European debit card wouldn't work through Amazon(Curse them!) and I didn't want to miss out!

Virgil:

Shamanic Rhythm:

These aren't something new - we've been doing them for a few months. The timing is pure coincidence though. While it might be hard to believe, unless there's a contest or something tied into it, nobody outside the ad sales team (and maybe an artist) know anything about what ads we're running at any given time.

Well it's the first time I've seen one, but what you say makes sense.

10-20 a year is good if you were charging 30+ like IGN and others I would not bother.

I use ad blocker like most intelligent firefox users, that leaves me with HD - not really bothered, and exclusive forums - meh.

Liberaliter:
I use ad blocker like most intelligent firefox users, that leaves me with HD - not really bothered, and exclusive forums - meh.

You do know people have been banned for admitting their use of ad blockers right?

Which makes me wonder what the difference is between blocking them and just flat out ignoring them...its the same consequence; no money for escapist.

xmetatr0nx:

Liberaliter:

You do know people have been banned for admitting their use of ad blockers right?

Which makes me wonder what the difference is between blocking them and just flat out ignoring them...its the same consequence; no money for escapist.

They're not illegal and even before I used it I never paid them any attention, not once have I ever clicked an ad.

Liberaliter:

xmetatr0nx:

1) Yes. I suggest you stop.
2) You obviously don't know how online advertising works. Here's a good summary.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here