Publisherís Club

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

I'm just wondering, will it be possible to pay by mobile phone? I really want to actually contribute by buying this membership thingy, but I don't have access to a credit card or PayPal..

I'm willing to pay to support my favourite site, however i have a few questions.
1:In the article you mention that all premium users are automatically entered into all contests. From what i have seen in my year here, most contests are for USA/North America only. Does this mean you will be opening contests up to your friends across the pond?
2: hmmm, i guess it was just one question XD

7ru7h:
Would you be able to do something similar for the Android browser?

It should already work. Funk has a Droid and we tested it on his phone - just make sure you log into the site on the phone first.

7ru7h:
And to add yet another question, will I get videos in said RSS as well, or will I need to hit the article on the page for those?

Embedded videos don't work in the RSS - if they're our videos, they'll have links to the video instead. Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to get the embed codes to work reliably via RSS.

7ru7h:
Yet another question. Does anybody know how to add authenticated RSS feeds to Google Reader?

Google reader doesn't support them at the moment. Hopefully they'll add it in later. I use FeedDemon, which syncs with Google Reader, and had to add the full-content feed directly to the client.

knight of some random number:
However is there any chance of a paypal option being included?

I'll see what I can do about adding PayPal as an option.

Dudemeister:
I have a question.
What's this walled garden exactly? I mean I know it's a separate forum area but is it just for keeping the peasants out of sight of subscribers or is it a different kind of forum?

It's a forum category that only subscribers can see. It will probably have less traffic, if that kind of thing appeals to you.

I have a question? will Zero Punctuation and other shows on The Escaptist still be free or will we have to pay to watch them?

Susan Arendt:

Hileict:

Susan Arendt:

Hileict:

Plus, not to sound harsh or anything, but I could hardly call people like Yahtzee or Marion "game journalists/reviewers". To review a game, you play it properly and give an unbiased opinion/viewpoint.. Not just drop it because you're "rather bored". It's your job. Do it properly or let someone else who actually will.

Ahem..

You do realize that Marion is a fictional character and that Reliable Source is satire, right?

You also realize that The Escapist hosts a number of reviewers, of course?

It may be fictional and all, Susan, but it's still.. Well.. In extremely poor taste. I've read through a few and I really just can't stand it.

And of course I know of the actual reviewers, in fact I've watched several and enjoy them.. But there's reviewers.. And.. Well.. Douchebags.

Oh, that's fine if you don't enjoy RS, it's not for everyone, but to lump Marion in with the rest of us is simply unfair. If you consider a fictional character to be a douchebag, no problem, but I hope you're not saying that the rest of our reviewers aren't doing their jobs.

I personally love RS... It's one of those many things on this site things I look forward to...

ars731:
I have a question? will Zero Punctuation and other shows on The Escaptist still be free or will we have to pay to watch them?

They said that you won't lose a thing for not joining...

Deadlock Radium:
I'm just wondering, will it be possible to pay by mobile phone? I really want to actually contribute by buying this membership thingy, but I don't have access to a credit card or PayPal..

I think Amazon Payments does have some sort of a mobile phone option, but I'm not completely sure how all that works. It's not something I ever used.

EMFCRACKSHOT:
In the article you mention that all premium users are automatically entered into all contests. From what i have seen in my year here, most contests are for USA/North America only. Does this mean you will be opening contests up to your friends across the pond?

We open them up as much as we can, when we have the option. Whenever it's a contest that involves a company giving us things to give away for them, their legal departments have the final say, and most of them tend to be in the US. It's a legal problem, not something that we want to do.

Unless more companies outside the US want to sponsor stuff through us it probably won't change much though. It will still affect things like beta keys and that sort of thing though, where we don't have to worry about it.

I'd absolutely love to sign up for this. Makes me feel somewhat special, yet I'm unsure... Maybe soon.

Hmm. While having a custom title sounds sweet and all, I don't know if I can justify the cost. I mean... I don't post much here, and I don't watch that many of the videos that are posted. I am more of a lurker, who read the articles. Feels kind of wasteful to use money on a custom title when I am pretty sure not one person who reads this thread can remember me at all.

But hey, maybe I'll join this exclusive club someday. But for now, I guess I will have to stay outside the fence. Trying to peek in... *readies electric drill*

Virgil:

Deadlock Radium:

I think Amazon Payments does have some sort of a mobile phone option, but I'm not completely sure how all that works. It's not something I ever used.

Hmm, well then, I need to check again, the Publisher's Club is something I want to join. :D
If I find a way to pay by phone, I'll probably give a little notice to how to do it for other non credit card owning members.

Virgil:

Jaredin:
QUESTION : Is it open to people from EU?

Hileict:
From Jaredin's question, Australia as well?

Anywhere Amazon will take payments from. They like money, so I think they'll take them from nearly anywhere.

I wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about a few things:

The auto competetion entry, firstly being from the UK would I still be elegible as I'm not for most competitions the site runs and being automaticaly entered would me actually entering myself give me a second chance to win? I'm not hugely fussed, I'm just curious as it's a selling point.

Will video downloads be playable on BlackBerrys?

$20 a year does sound like a bargin, I'm very tempted, even just to support the site as I've grown to love it over the years I've been here and posting.

Sorry if you've already answered my questions but 6 pages of 35 posts a piece is a lot of stuff to go through to find out and it's late.....

Virgil:

EMFCRACKSHOT:
In the article you mention that all premium users are automatically entered into all contests. From what i have seen in my year here, most contests are for USA/North America only. Does this mean you will be opening contests up to your friends across the pond?

We open them up as much as we can, when we have the option. Whenever it's a contest that involves a company giving us things to give away for them, their legal departments have the final say, and most of them tend to be in the US. It's a legal problem, not something that we want to do.

Unless more companies outside the US want to sponsor stuff through us it probably won't change much though. It will still affect things like beta keys and that sort of thing though, where we don't have to worry about it.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I shall sign up tomorrow

So, what will be in this Special publishers only section?. I mean, will it be just another off-topic section just for those who paid?... or is there any some thing special there for all us who pay.

I'm certainly not going to pay to use a website...however a few things irritate me about this service:

A custom title of your choice: We've only given out a handful of custom titles over the years, but you can claim a unique title of your own (within reason, of course). We'll even throw in a special badge for good measure.

This is the section that irritates me - really, you're now selling custom titles - making those titles earnt through winning contests or posting a lot completely pointless...I wouldn't pay just on principal...

Audience panel membership: Let our content team know which direction you think they should go by participating in opinion surveys and focus groups.

Wasn't there a user group created for this very purpose that was disbanded? Was it purposefully disbanded to make way for this paid membership group - if not, why was it disbanded if you're simply going to do the same thing?

Is it open to like anyone from any country? Not "US-Only" or anything?

If it's available to me, count me as a member on friday once i get paid :P

TylerBaumbarger:
I'm just saying, advertisers are less likely to work with sites with lower success rates and less ad views means less revenue from that source. If I wind up being right about the losses, I want Russ to buy me a puppy.

Dude, if you're right, you will probably have to buy ME a puppy.

That said, you're wrong. Sorry, man, but it's true.

Also, you're going to break your brain being so cynical. Lighten up. Go outside. Take a breath. Buy a Publisher's Club membership at The Escapist. Inhale. Exhale. Relax. Move on.

/fingergun

D_987:
I'm certainly not going to pay to use a website...however a few things irritate me about this service:

A custom title of your choice: We've only given out a handful of custom titles over the years, but you can claim a unique title of your own (within reason, of course). We'll even throw in a special badge for good measure.

This is the section that irritates me - really, you're now selling custom titles - making those titles earnt through winning contests or posting a lot completely pointless...I wouldn't pay just on principal...

Audience panel membership: Let our content team know which direction you think they should go by participating in opinion surveys and focus groups.

Wasn't there a user group created for this very purpose that was disbanded? Was it purposefully disbanded to make way for this paid membership group - if not, why was it disbanded if you're simply going to do the same thing?

And finally, the home truths come out! After all that, it's simply a marketing gimmick. All of this stuff that could've easily been done for FREE. Selling titles is just extremely low of anyone. No one SELLS forum titles. I've seen -donations- go towards a colored username on forums, but that's it. And it was a $5 donation.

You're over-advertising things that really don't need to be sold. If ripoff isn't the right word then there has to be something damn close to it..

Blatantly/subliminally advertising it within posts, videos and system messages will also be a major dick move.

Hileict:

And finally, the home truths come out! After all that, it's simply a marketing gimmick. All of this stuff that could've easily been done for FREE. Selling titles is just extremely low of anyone. No one SELLS forum titles. I've seen -donations- go towards a colored username on forums, but that's it. And it was a $5 donation.

You're over-advertising things that really don't need to be sold. If ripoff isn't the right word then there has to be something damn close to it..

I believe the word you're looking for is "incentive".

-m

ars731:

All of the content you currently enjoy at The Escapist will remain available free of charge - unless you would like to watch those same shows in HQ video, our would like to view the site ad-free, or simply think that we're awesome, that content which gives you pleasure has inherent value, and that the content you enjoy (and those of us who make it our mission in life to bring it to you)deserve your monies.

D_987:

Not to be a jerk here or anything, but I have to wonder why you're asking us questions about something you've already told us in no uncertain terms you won't be bothering to support? You're not giving me much incentive here to answer your questions, dude.

Hmmmm... I'd love to, but I have one issue (and its a big one) - the high quality video's, one of the more significant incentives, takes AGES to load on my relatively reasonable Macbook. Still... I love The Escapist, and I'd love to support it, so I shall consider this subscription thing.

Few of questions:

How much is this in pounds?

Is there any chance we can get a members-only forum? I've noticed that trolls are incredibly prevalent these days on the forums and having an exclusive paid-forum would deal with that problem significantly... which leads onto my next question...

Will there be more features added at later dates for the members?And if so, will the price go up?

edit: wait! I have another question! Will we be able to retain our original titles (gone gonzo, etc), and will they still advance as we get more post counts, even as a member? Can we reset to the default titles if we change it, and decide we want our old ones back?

Simalacrum:
Hmmmm... I'd love to, but I have one issue (and its a big one) - the high quality video's, one of the more significant incentives, takes AGES to load on my relatively reasonable Macbook. Still... I love The Escapist, and I'd love to support it, so I shall consider this subscription thing.

Few of questions:

How much is this in pounds?

Is there any chance we can get a members-only forum? I've noticed that trolls are incredibly prevalent these days on the forums and having an exclusive paid-forum would deal with that problem significantly... which leads onto my next question...

Will there be more features added at later dates for the members?And if so, will the price go up?

I think the members only forum is part of the perks of this, as for the pound question, I've asked the same thing but I've had no response yet. Maybe I'll get lucky as Russ seems to be on an answering spree atm. Though I honestly think it will just be £10.00 instead of $10.00 with the whole exchange rate being ignored... (however your best not hearing it from me as I'm not well versed in internet transactions)..Which is fine with me, I'd happily pay that, I just need to know how much I need to deposit into my bank to pay this thing in the morning.

If you add PayPal payment I'll subscribe immediately.

Russ Pitts:

Not to be a jerk here or anything, but I have to wonder why you're asking us questions about something you've already told us in no uncertain terms you won't be bothering to support?
You're not giving me much incentive here to answer your questions, dude.

They're pretty much rhetorical questions - I don't (or didn't) expect a response. Although I am confused as to why you've just replied to me about answering said questions without answering them...surely there would be even less incentive to do so?

If you must know I asked those questions because I'm curious to know exactly why that original concept was scrapped, and why a similar, if not replica concept appears to have emerged under a paid membership. Of course this is all speculation - I don't know what these new "focus groups" will involve - then again, if you explain maybe people will gain a greater knowledge as to what you have planned and thus get involved in your subscription.

$10 sure i come here more than enough times a day at work to justify that ^-^

I am now in the publishers club but it says join to enable when I want to change my title...

Ugh.. As it almost pains me to say it and while I'm STILL thoroughly against blatantly paying for content for a website when it's in no way a donation. It's a subscription. Donation with minor benefits, fine.. But a full-fledged subscription just doesn't sound right.. Anywhere.

Anyway.. As much as it bothers me immensely.. I shall consider it.. As long as LRR's Behind-The-Scenes stuff is still staying on their site (ENN Rejected Stories included) and isn't being dragged over with the rest, fine. Hell, I only watch the occasional Zero Punctuation, weekly LRR/ENN/Unskippable.. And Good Knight's Quest. Some news articles and/or e-mail articles are ok..

Le sigh, look, as I said, I'll think it over more. I do need what little money I get a fortnight for several other things I've been planning on buying though. This just wasn't timed right. Some warning would've been brilliant.

Humm it might just be my cynic nature but I have never seen the point in a subscription for a website(only one I really thought about was rooterteeth and that was because I could get the movies earlier) the HD movie would be worth it if i didn't still use an old CRT monitor and my internet didn't take forever to load a normal one, and the exclusive member forum access sorta sounds nice but at the same time a bit elitist. I think I'll sit on the bench on this one to see how it is handles, I just hope the nonmembers don't get screwed out of anything.

Sign me up!..oh wait..*looks at badge*..

If you get a papal option Ill consider it...

I pay my ISP a dollar a month not to display adds with my email, so I'll do the same for you guys.

...except if there is no PayPal I'll have to think about it. You could even charge me any PayPal fees.

EDIT: Ah, nevermind, Amazon is fine. When do the ads go away?

Id rather be a mod on second thought.

You could always add a couple advertisements on the very bottom of the site.

Russ Pitts:

D_987:

Not to be a jerk here or anything, but I have to wonder why you're asking us questions about something you've already told us in no uncertain terms you won't be bothering to support? You're not giving me much incentive here to answer your questions, dude.

Well, the guy who started this said " Any comments or complaints will be accepted, but please be careful in what you say." and this guy has a few pretty good ones.

It's kind of funny the amount of stuff you can get simply by asking. I got the PM that I assume was forwarded to most (all?) members of the forum, and only then was I made aware there was an elite status.

I don't really care about the quality of the videos I watch here - it's never really been an issue for me. And publishers not making a super profit doesn't really bother me, either.
But I signed up anyway - because you were polite about it.

Besides which, even though I haven't been here for very long, I like this site. It's visually pleasing, rich with content and the forums are well kept by a staggeringly-proficient moderating team. I've no problem with dropping a dime in appreciation.

Just keep the site up and running, yeh? I don't want it to go to waste.

I've probably already been ninja'd here, but I hope this doesn't spawn a "Publisher's Club" elitism among Escapists on the site.

Russ Pitts:

D_987:

I was really on the fence about this. On one hand, I'm wary about subscriptions by principle, but on the other hand, I really like the escapist. I even went as far as opening up the subscription window to register - but in the end, I backed out. It's not that I don't feel the sum is too much of a fortune for the features being offered, or that I don't want to support the website. It's the way the whole thing was presented, it honestly makes me feel uneasy. As I read through this thread, I became increasingly more wary about the subscription as I read the replies of the staff members - especially in combination with the parts of the initial offer that some people have commented on already (the "walled garden" stuff and whatnot)... And this post is what finally made me back off completely.

Now, apparently, your new business model is to offer support only to those who toss you money. Sure, it's an economically sound policy - but it makes you seem cold, distant and unpersonal. It makes you look like robots. It makes you look like EA. You shouldn't need an incentive (read: wad of cash) in order to spend 20 seconds answering perfectly valid questions from loyal visitors. You already spent an equal amount of time saying you're not going to answer the questions, which means you can't play the "our time is valuable"-card either.

It just signals that people who aren't subscribers are henceforth considered second-class citizens - like someone said a few pages back, in six months anyone without the proper badge will be scoffed at and ignored by all the cool kids who payed up.

I don't know about this whole thing. The idea itself is, while not my favourite idea of all time, not all bad. The way it's presented, and the general attitude behind it, is what puts me off.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here