Not Hardcore Enough to Raise Chickens

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I remember Friends of Mineral Town on the GBA, I still have it and go on it sometimes. I spent so much time tending the farm, petting the dog, riding the horse and feeding the animals that it became a relaxing routine. Then I found out about the harvest sprites and their drug addict-like craving for flour. Yes, flour. After being bribed with flour they were happy to do all my farm work for me, which I came to regard as a cheap trick so I stopped doing it. I absolutely adore that game in a way I don't think I'll ever experience with another. It's special.

Spaceman_Spiff:
Finally some respect for how complex Harvest Moon games have become. Seriously, I have put more effort into strategy in Back To Nature than I have in four Total War games.

Definitely, although I'm not sure I like the more complex version. It kind of takes away the innocent, idyllic farmlife feel a bit.
And also, your avatar and username elevate you to god-like status. I spent months reading calvin and hobbes. I salute you!

Im sorry miss Arendt, If I could change the game I would.
and harvest moon on the snes was hard, but thats mainly because I was 4(I think) when I got it.

Thats what I call intensive farming. I could give it a try but there is no game for the PC, as far as I know.

Coming from a guy who loves and plays Harvest Moon religiously, let me give some advice: Ignore all in-depth strategy guides. Only use them to find out what a person's favorite gifts are, or if you just have a general question. The last time I played the original Harvest Moon on the SNES, I wanted to do EVERYTHING. All the power berries, all the cows and chickens I could get, with all the cows giving me the best quality milk, complete all the side quests, get two children, earn over a million G.

How did it turn out? It was the least amount of fun I've ever had playing these games, especially when I got to winter of the second year. That game has a horrible lag when more then five or six animals are being rendered, so I had to suffer through slowly milking, brushing, and talking to all 12 of my cows. That alone would take 10 minutes, then I had to go feed my numerous chickens. A single day took me around fifteen minutes to complete, and what's even worse is that time stands still when your indoors. So after all that time spent taking care of the animals, it was still only 6am. What the hell else is there to do in Winter this late in the game? I was already married, I can't grow anything, there's nothing to scavenge for, all the sidequests were completed. I started going to bed at 6am just so I could move on and get through winter.

I just recently started playing it again, only I'm doing things at my own pace. I'm having way more fun then I could ever have with every step of the game already decided for me by a FAQ. Screw trying to get the best ending.

Galad:
Wait, what? I thought this game was supposed to be similar to farmville? Yet it is described here as complex et all, while farmville is called simple by everyone? Where does the difference stem from?

Farmville isn't even in the same league as Harvest Moon. Farmville is just a flash game where all you really do is farm. Think of Harvest Moon as a lot like Animal Crossing with farming, and everything else is much much much more in-depth.

Galad:
Wait, what? I thought this game was supposed to be similar to farmville? Yet it is described here as complex et all, while farmville is called simple by everyone? Where does the difference stem from?

harvest moon games are ALOT harder, well at least the older ones are(i dont like how the new ones look so i stick to A Wonderful Life and Friends of mineral town) these game contain numerous events and secrets. and these things happen at a certain place and more importantly a certain time. these arent all day events. say an event ur going for happens at 2:20 it will happen at 2:20 on the dot. and these events usually only happen once a year, so if u miss it oh well, hope u remember it next year. also the weather is 100% random, so you can never EVER forget ur animals. also if u have an event that day and it say...snows so much u cant open ur door(this will happen) oh well! better luck next year. this game will also make u pay attention to what people say every character has a certain item they like the most, but they will not tell u what it is. there is no object that Everyone loves.

Basicly... theres alot more Everything in this series.
ill add more if i think of it

I love Harvest Moon but the one's on the DS Island of happiness and and sunshine island were awful. The controls were wonky, you had to work to hard to make friends and every thing was to expensive. I did play super hardcore on the gamecube one, after four years I had boughten every thing in the game would let me and had about a billon dollars left over, so I just quit because there was nothing more I could do. The secret is a seed maker and tree fruit, and I figured that on way own no strategy guides.

It's Farmville EXTREMRE edition.

Games can be so deceiving in their appearance - Monster Rancher and Pokemon are testaments of that fact. It's normally the hardcore looking ones that are shallow.

Shjade:
Sometimes the cartoonish games can surprise you. Heck, I've seen some crazy walkthroughs for Pokemon games to catch everything in one run that just made me wonder why people would put that much effort into what really is a very simple game.

It's really anything but. The story campaigns are simple, I'll give you that, but the competitive multiplayer is like the bastard offspring of rock paper scissors and playing chess blindfolded with Heroclix instead of chess pieces. Pokemon has all these layers of stats and hidden modifiers - Same Type Attack Bonuses, EV points, type immunity combos (which gets more complex each time GameFreak adds another type), and traits. Then there are pretty crazy move combos, pokemon with TMs designed to counter those move combos, equitable items... it's a very complex game with cute cartoon animals on the cover.

I just got Soul Silver for nostalgia, but one of my roommates plays tournaments.

Well, the point of gaming is for entertainment, or at least that sense of achievement when you pull off something challenging. I s'pose as long as you find it entertaining, you can max everything. I have that problem with Oblivion and Fallout 3, wanting to max my stats.

Vitor Goncalves:
Thats what I call intensive farming. I could give it a try but there is no game for the PC, as far as I know.

Wikipedia has listed a so called 'Harvest Moon Online' that is supposedly slated for the PC, but I find it very unlikely that this is real as I've never heard anything about this game anywhere else. Otherwise, Harvest Moon has never been on PC outside of emulators. But really, if you've EVER owned a console or portable system in the last thirtenn years, then you probably have something you can play it on. So long as it wasn't made by Microsoft or SEGA and it isn't the PS3, you're good to go.

Come to think of it, why isn't there a Harvest Moon for PS3 yet? An HD Harvest Moon could have some real potential.

I'm playing through Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility and damn if it wasn't difficult the first YEAR, let alone the first season. Though by the second year, I'd bought every possible field and made a packet off the Honeydews in summer. Addictive, yes, I thoroughly agree... it's the only game I've spent more than an hour on my Wii for.

Akalabeth:

ObsessiveSketch:

Not G. Ivingname:
Man... for a second I thought you were talking about Farmville... I am not very formilar with the Harvest moon series though...

Harvest Moon is to Farmville
as
Super Mario Bros. is to ET: The Extra-Terrestrial

Wow could you make that analogy any more inaccurate? ET? Which was a collosal disapointment and by some accounts helped to the downfall in gaming in its era being compared to Farmville which is wildly popular and is opening up some form of daily gaming to millions of non-gamers???

Okay, I guess you're right. I should make it more accurate.
as
Harvest Moon is to a stolen, scamming 'game' that is single-handedly causing the downfall of gaming in our era.

I tried Animal Crossing and was unbelievably bored I believe the same would be true of these titles.

I don't like appointment mechanics in games, I want to play on my own time and I decide what to do, not the game. To me these are nothing but the fast food of gaming, repetitive nonsense to gain more pointless money to do even more repetitive nonsense. Pointless.

I've been pretty much the same, I love the idea of a relaxing Farm simulator, but every time I get scared I'm not doing something right or the I'm going to miss something, and that stops me playing it. They need to make and easy version of it, less hardcore, that would sell like hotcakes with the DS user base. Maybe...
Have you tried Rune Factory? I kinda liked them more, with the whole Diablo lite thing.

Magus44:
I've been pretty much the same, I love the idea of a relaxing Farm simulator, but every time I get scared I'm not doing something right or the I'm going to miss something, and that stops me playing it. They need to make and easy version of it, less hardcore, that would sell like hotcakes with the DS user base. Maybe...
Have you tried Rune Factory? I kinda liked them more, with the whole Diablo lite thing.

Tried it, never really got into it, though. Just didn't connect with me.

So perhaps it's time to cross Bad Company with Harvest moon. That should keep your attention. You farm for an hour, then defend against attacking mercenaries with your farming equipment.

I have loved harvest moon from back back back wayyyy back to Harvest Moon 64. It never changes, but I love it so much. I wonder why.

They've gotten much more complicated over the years and I'm not sure that's good. My favorite has been Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland because it felt like I actually had time in the day to DO stuff and that I wasn't always running around trying to make money. But you couldn't really marry or anything and you only had 1 year in the game to accomplish the goal. :(

I always called Harvest Moon my guilty pleasure. I have long been a fan of the series, and will continue to waste many hours on the game. I started much the same way. A friend took a look at my library and recommended the game to me. On the strength of the recommendation I started playing, only ot find after about a month that I was missing out on much of the depth of the game.

I ran into the exact same roadblock playing the one on the Gamecube. I just cant do it. I just cant. Maybe I just dont have enough love and compassion for my cute little animals. Hell I cant even get enough money to buy my first chicken. I have sat down weeks at a time working on it and just nothing works. I actually ended up getting married in one playthrough but I hadnt worked on my farm enough and I ended up getting slapped with divorce papers and now my little character lives in a shack with some guy who makes fireworks. Lesson learned I guess...

Have they fixed the problem in Harvest Moon about farming being a complete waste of time?

(Don't get me wrong, I love Harvest Moon. But the farming itself was pointless... Except in Innocent Life, and that game had other problems.)

Harvest moon is still insanely fun to me, even if I gave up on it long ago, I still have nostalgia of watching my brother spend all hours of the night doing math equations over it.

Ahhh~ good times.

Harvest Moon can definitely be a very hardcore game. I know I've spent some time calculating the most cost/time-efficient crops, although I didn't obsess over optimizing everything quite as much as that walkthrough you mention seems to do.

Once a game gets above a certain minimum complexity level, whether playing the game is hardcore or not doesn't really depend on the game as much as on the player. If you take steps to make the game insanely hard, or make your goal to optimize your game to crazy levels, then you're playing a hardcode game.

In that light, the term 'casual game' should probably be understood to refer to a game that tends to attract casual players, and not so much a game that is inherently not hardcore.

I played the N64 version for something like a year because I was trying to get everything in the game. In the end though, I started getting more enjoyment out of swinging my farm implements at my livestock. I figured that wasn't a healthy thing to do, so I stopped playing altogether.

Hey, now, don't go trying to get them to make the last few hardcore games casual. You've already some 98% of the games catering to the shallow approach.

I used to play harvest moon and I actually beat one for the game boy color. No I really did I happen to have the cartridge sitting right next to me. Now that I read this I kind of have that feeling I need to play some harvest moon but then I will loos all track of time.

Well when you see in the news man found dead planting virtual crops the blood will be on your hands Arendt!

I picked up this Harvest Moon and began playing it expecting the same difficulty as my last HM, Friends of Mineral Town. This was the wrong way to look at it as this one is way more intense than that one. You have to maintain relationships with everyone, raise crops and somehow break even through all of this. I realize I could use a guide but even with a game like this, I don't want to, for me it takes away from the fun of discovering things for myself

I've got similar experience with the Persona series. I looked at the walkthrough out of curiosity and was greeted by the same thing: extremely tight schedule how to spend each in-game hour. I even tried it but it was too much like a day job instead of having fun playing a game.

Those games are meant to be replayed many times before you achieve greatness.

Man, Harvest Moon is nothing. Heck, MMOs are nothing. You want hardcore? Run a city in Animal Crossing DS. I bet that game would even make some of WoW's hardest of hardcore cringe. The amount of homework you have to do to get a good city going, and keep it going is insane enough on its own. Then you factor-in the fact that not playing the game for one single day could potentially set you back days or weeks of progress.

heh i've only played the SNES and N64 harvest moons they were interesting and i never actually bothered with walktroughs i got trough the game just fine maybe not as quickly as some but i got there in the end.

I prefer the runefactory though atleast you can bash some monsters head in if you get bored of farming..

Always enjoyed Harvest Moon but yeah only walkthrough i used were the ones about who liked what. Everything else was just so dam complex.

That's the attraction of games like Harvest Moon, The Sims and other such simulator-style games.
They have hidden complexity, normally just because if the complexity was not hidden it would scare away the general audience before anyone could get used to playing the game, so the current set up allows people to take it nice and slow and eventually understand all of the basics before they move onto the confusing stuff.

ObsessiveSketch:

Okay, I guess you're right. I should make it more accurate.
as
Harvest Moon is to a stolen, scamming 'game' that is single-handedly causing the downfall of gaming in our era.

Downfall of Gaming? How is Farmville affecting gaming in any way whatsoever? Is it drawing from typical gaming profits? Are hardcore gamers playing farmville instead of MW2? No. It's non gamers playing Farmville.

Who cares. I don't play Farmville either but that doesn't mean I'm going to rag on people that do. Lots of people play it. If they have fun with it, no one has any say on how they should be spending their time.

Get over it.

EDIT - suhweet, probation! yeah!

Takes me back to the few days I spent playing that one on the DS.
God now I want to forget it :(

Akalabeth:

EDIT - suhweet, probation! yeah!

Probation? me? I think you'll find that I'm going to behave... in a manner not befitting polite communication.

You've ruined everything!

I loved Harvest Moon on the SNES.
I also thought I was pretty good the first time I finished it, had the florist as a wife, the stables were bursting with cattle and chicken and overall the farm was very profitable.
And then the parents returned just to tell me 'wtf did you do in those 2.5 years we were gone on our cruise? lazy bastard!'.
Second playthrough I now married the bar girl after very short time, the stables were bursting just a little later, the farm was very profitable despite a summer full of tornados. In the end I had a child, the biggest possible house etc. and I felt like I had achieved nearly everything I could in that playthrough.
'Hey, we're back from our cruise! It is interesting what you (or mainly the dog) did to the carpets but you should have really worked much harder, lazy bastard!'

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here