Not Hardcore Enough to Raise Chickens

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

This is why I don't play cute games.

You think to yourself, "I think I'll just play this in my free time." then you achieve something, "wow that's cool. what else can I do?" then you start working, "awesome, this isn't so hard." then you go fishing, "this is pretty fun." then you're farm/home/city starts to grow, "man that was totally worth it." then your city is destroyed by the weather/natural disaster/aliens "Oh no! I have to rebuild!"

then before you know it what you thought was going to be 1/2 an hour of play time a day turns into 6 hours. then your 6 turns to 8, your 8 turns to 14, the 14 becomes becomes 16 and then you're are just waking up to run your virtual life, have your character go to sleep, then you go to sleep soon after only to do the same thing over again tomorrow.

I play Mafia Wars. I play Restaurant City. I play Farmville. Once upon a time...

Now I just play Pokemon.

speaking of which, I need to get more BPs so I can get power items to properly breed my pokemon to have the best possible IVs, then breed those pokemon until I have the proper natures and IVs. then I have to train my pokemon in the proper EPs to get them to be the strongest they could possibly be. Then I need to use those pokemon to get more BPs to get that team the proper movesets.

yeah, I just don't have time for those flash games anymore...

daemon37:

Galad:
Wait, what? I thought this game was supposed to be similar to farmville? Yet it is described here as complex et all, while farmville is called simple by everyone? Where does the difference stem from?

I've never played Farmville but I believe it doesn't have the following gameplay aspects, which are common in the Harvest Moon series:

3) Making Friends
4) Gift giving
6) Collecting rare items
7) Attending special events/competitions
9) Stamina/health maintenance
11) Dog training

(i could go on but I have stuff to do today...)

Actually, these things are in FarmVille. No need to just spout off randomly stuff that Harvest Moon has and assume it's not in FV.

And still, can someone answer if they've made a point to actually planting crops in a HM game yet? Generally the bazillion other, more fun activities you can do are significantly more profitable.

Oh god, Harvest Moon.. Thanks for the flash backs, I remember sinking in days at a time in to that game! Its been one of the few games that I've started playing in a morning and the next thing I know its dark outside.

I've also looked at some of the FAQs for the number of different games and felt very small.

It is the ultimate guilty pleasure game, anyone who has played this surely agrees with me on that one.

You shouldn't worry about not finishing an HM game, I've got loads of em and I've not "finished" a single one! There're main purpose, in my view, is as an excellent chilled-out passtime when you're stoned, equalled only by Fable 2.

And as for calling a cow "steak", I prefer giving the sheep names such as "Lambchop" and "Mutton".

Love me some Harvest Moon. At least, one I can stop grinding my farms and hire the sprites to do it.

The family building aspect is the part I liked.

Mutie:
You shouldn't worry about not finishing an HM game, I've got loads of em and I've not "finished" a single one! There're main purpose, in my view, is as an excellent chilled-out passtime when you're stoned, equalled only by Fable 2.

And as for calling a cow "steak", I prefer giving the sheep names such as "Lambchop" and "Mutton".

'Natch. Also calling a horse "Glue" really gets the kids upset.

Mutie:

I go with "Lanolin" for the sheep.

I played the first one as a ROM. Have so far bought all but maybe three of the games. The first Gameboy one got me through a couple of months of bare subsistence. At the time I was barely able to make rent, pay electricity and get to work. Rationed pizza so I didn't starve. The game kept me from thinking about how hungry I was getting. Lost seventeen pounds during that timeframe.

Harvest moon is the first, last, and only farm sim game i will ever play.

I love Harvest Moon but will never master it. Evar. Still, I love the social concepts that emerge from it. I'd love to see more simulation games where you interact with characters and townsfolk in this manner, but it seems the opportunity for such games is more uncommon than preferred.

Still, I don't let it bother me. I'll never be the very best, that no one ever was, at training Pokemon. To catch them may be my real test and training them to be my cause, but as long as I travel across the land searching far and wide I can teach them the power that's inside.

Pokemon.

Gotta catch them all.

Sorry, I don't know how that happened. My point is, a good game allows you to enjoy it and find fulfillment without having to do all that crazy ass hardcore shit. Pokemon and Harvest Moon are both well designed games.

EDIT: I've been known to name my cows "Rare", "Medium", "Well Done" (when the game allows so many characters), sheep "Mutton" and "Sweater", I think I named my horse "Glue" once, and chicken "Poultry", "Colonel", "Fried", "Grill" and "Rotisserie" (again, when the game permitted that many characters).

First time I played when I was a kid I think I simply named the dog "Dog".

I always name my animals after video game quotes I find funny, mostly inspired by the old Zelda CD-i games. My stables can be found to be chalk full of "Mah boi"s, "Squadala"s, and "Dinner"s.

Sebenko:

Akalabeth:

EDIT - suhweet, probation! yeah!

Probation? me? I think you'll find that I'm going to behave... in a manner not befitting polite communication.

You've ruined everything!

Ruined what? Or are you one of those guys who cares about badges?
Who cares. Badges Schmadges. If I got banned from this site it would just save me the time I waste on it anyway. Probably be better in the long run. And since Reviews on the Run is online they've taken the spotlight away from Yahtzee for me at least. I can either watch five 22 minute shows per week, or, one 5 minute show per week. I'll take the 110 minutes of entertainment please.

I love harvest moon, oh my god is it hard... I suck at them, but i keep buying them because they are awesome.

Susan Arendt:
I go with "Lanolin" for the sheep.

Hahaha. I actually find naming stuff one of the hardest parts of the game... I'd sit there for half an hour listening to the same repetetive jingle over and over thinkin "Shit man... What am I gonna name this duck...?". I later formulated a catagory system based on semantics.

Aw man... Now I've got to play on A Wonderful Life.

This reminds me of my experience with Viva Pinăta. It's all smiles and children's television tie-ins on the surface, but underneath is an infernally complex system of levers and pulleys like something designed by a deep-strategy grognard savant.

I first played Harvest Moon on the SNES waaaayyyy back when... I fell out of touch with the series until I bought a DS in 2006, and Harvest Moon DS was one of the first games I got. I enjoy the heck out of that game still, but have avoided the other versions because of their dependence on the stylus for everything. It is a very deep game, and without some of the walkthroughs available I wouldn't know much about some of the interactions and what they unlock... I was quite surprised by the complexity of the game.

I have heard rumors through the last couple of years about Natsume toying around with the idea of making a Harvest Moon MMO, but haven't found any concrete evidence to support it. It would and could potentially be a FarmVille killer, and certainly something needs to knock Zynga on its ass for online farming. Granted, I can't see Natsume dumbing the game down to a FB app because you know they'd need to sacrifice something to make it run smoother for a lite browser-based application, but even a mini-Harvest Moon would certainly make a dent in the number that FarmVille attracts.

As long as Natsume develops a Harvest Moon on the DS in the future that doesn't rely completely on the stylus, I'd be happy to buy it.

OH god this remiinds me why I stopped playing these games. For example, the far less (in my opinion) complicated animal crossing, where I'd go back one day to say: Hmm, I'm in my free time now, so let's spend an hour and a half digging up all these weeds and planting a small forest. Fun. I only play Pokemon (obsessively) now.

Natsume = Translator...So talented they even spell their name wrong on he title screen of HM64! Marvelous Interactive = The poor guys who make all HMs and never get named as the developers!

Fraser.J.A:
This reminds me of my experience with Viva Pinăta. It's all smiles and children's television tie-ins on the surface, but underneath is an infernally complex system of levers and pulleys like something designed by a deep-strategy grognard savant.

God, I love Viva Pinata. Never did get the damn Roario, though. Perhaps that'll be my project for the weekend.

I will never ever, for the life of me, EVER understand the appeal of these sort of games.

TheDoctor455:
I will never ever, for the life of me, EVER understand the appeal of these sort of games.

Try playing one.

I hope they never remake one of the old GB Harvest Moon games for iPhone. It'd be the death of me.

I rented the PS one version back when I was in High School, I was supposed to have it for 3 days.
4 months later I was explaining to my mother why there was a hefty bill on her doorstep.

I seriously love Harvest Moon, it's a simple premise that you'd think would be simple in play too but it's brutal.
A friend of mine picked it up too and she loves it, however she has a DS version which is lighter on the clock is ticking aspect, as in it is no longer there.
The three year time limit on some of the games may sound like a long time but it's really not.

i think people might be too chicken to try harvest moon. They have a cow just thinking about it.

ObsessiveSketch:

Not G. Ivingname:
Man... for a second I thought you were talking about Farmville... I am not very formilar with the Harvest moon series though...

Harvest Moon is to Farmville
as
Super Mario Bros. is to ET: The Extra-Terrestrial

The Super Mario Bros. game was excellent though and the ET game was horrible. The ET movie was excellent though and the Super Mario Bros. movie was horrible.

In my opinion Harvest Moon is more complex and fun comapred to Farmville.

I got about 1 paragraph in, saw "Moved to North Carolina" and said "Wooo, im not the only gamer in this hillbilly state :D"

gof22:

ObsessiveSketch:

Not G. Ivingname:
Man... for a second I thought you were talking about Farmville... I am not very formilar with the Harvest moon series though...

as

The Super Mario Bros. game was excellent though and the ET game was horrible. The ET movie was excellent though and the Super Mario Bros. movie was horrible.

Thats what he just said...

Ashbax:

gof22:

ObsessiveSketch:

Not G. Ivingname:

as

So he was being sarcastic when comparing Harvest Moon and Farmville. I thought he was calling Harvest Moon and the Super Mario Bros. bad games. It kinda seems difficult to compare ET and the Super Mario Bros.

gof22:

Ashbax:

gof22:

ObsessiveSketch:

Not G. Ivingname:

as

So he was being sarcastic when comparing Harvest Moon and Farmville. I thought he was calling Harvest Moon and the Super Mario Bros. bad games. It kinda seems difficult to compare ET and the Super Mario Bros.

He was saying that Harvest Moon was better than farmville, in the same way Super Mario Bros. was better than ET, the worst game known to man.

...So yeah, he was saying harvest moon is awesome.

Loving the Rune Factory spin-offs, it takes the early Harvest Moons and adds dozens of hours more gameplay.

I feel that the Harvest Moon series has never really taken off in the UK and maybe this Farmville tripe could attract a lot more attention to it.

rofltehcat:
I loved Harvest Moon on the SNES.
I also thought I was pretty good the first time I finished it, had the florist as a wife, the stables were bursting with cattle and chicken and overall the farm was very profitable.
And then the parents returned just to tell me 'wtf did you do in those 2.5 years we were gone on our cruise? lazy bastard!'.
Second playthrough I now married the bar girl after very short time, the stables were bursting just a little later, the farm was very profitable despite a summer full of tornados. In the end I had a child, the biggest possible house etc. and I felt like I had achieved nearly everything I could in that playthrough.
'Hey, we're back from our cruise! It is interesting what you (or mainly the dog) did to the carpets but you should have really worked much harder, lazy bastard!'

heh, that's funny. What a way to raise an obsessive kid, huh? Or maybe that's commonplace among Japanese families? I heard once that they tend to be more strict in relation to boys and what they accomplish, even as kids, don't know if that's true but...

OT: Those walkthroughts really ruin it, I don't think the creators ORIGINALLY tought of the game to be played like this, that's what I always tought of HM series. BUT, when SUSAN mentioned what she had to do to get the piece-of-whatever-shiny-thing-they-tough-of-this-time, I tought maybe they went too far. How could someone think of that alone? Guide dang it! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GuideDangIt in case anyone don't know and think I'm only cursing)

Spaceman_Spiff:
Finally some respect for how complex Harvest Moon games have become. Seriously, I have put more effort into strategy in Back To Nature than I have in four Total War games.

but total war are freakin' easy?

Great article as usual, but the cool thing is that Harvest Moon isn't really difficult, it's just difficult to get the awesome incredible super duper extreme final ending. What that means is that if you want to milk some cows and smooch some gals you can do it, but if you're the kind of in-depth junkie who likes to analyze raw code you can get your fix off of it as well.

Personally, I'd never put that much effort into a game, no matter how cool it would be.

Akalabeth:

Sebenko:

Akalabeth:

EDIT - suhweet, probation! yeah!

Probation? me? I think you'll find that I'm going to behave... in a manner not befitting polite communication.

You've ruined everything!

Ruined what? Or are you one of those guys who cares about badges?
Who cares. Badges Schmadges. If I got banned from this site it would just save me the time I waste on it anyway. Probably be better in the long run. And since Reviews on the Run is online they've taken the spotlight away from Yahtzee for me at least. I can either watch five 22 minute shows per week, or, one 5 minute show per week. I'll take the 110 minutes of entertainment please.

I think they were being sarcastic when they wrote the ruined everything part. They are being immature if they are blaming you for the content in their post.

The name of that show sounds really familiar to me. Didn't the two hosts also do another show?

gof22:

The name of that show sounds really familiar to me. Didn't the two hosts also do another show?

Victor Lucas the man in charge has another show called EP Daily. You can check 'em both out at G4 website, it will differ depending on what country you're from. Or you can watch some slightly older ones on the reviews on the run website.

Anyway it's been on TV for years and years but RoR has only recently become a daily show.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here