Zero Punctuation: Red Steel 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

yellowhead:
You say that the difficulty when you unlock 'The Tiger' is a big flaw. But maybe that was part of the point. I think the game is meant to make you feel like an unstoppable warrior of death by the end, a bit like Kill-Bill.

I think difficulty curves that don't plateau are more amusing and one is supposed to begin feeling like an unstoppable killing machine because they are GOOD at the game rather than they've put enough hours in and "earned" an unbreakable guard that needs one motion to work.

awesome review
JW is yahtzee going to review just cause 2?

AceInTheHole16:
WTF's Reboot?

You poor sad sad human being, Reboot was a kids show (one of the best and the first computer generated show ever) in Canada (no idea how Yatzhee knows about it) I recommend it also nice Reboot reference and he owned the Wii

Gaming King:

DrEmo:
When will the Wii just give up and start pumping out mindless mini game compilations like it's supposed to. Those are the best sellers on the system along with Mario. This gives you and idea of what kind of people own Wiis.
On a better note, Wiis make great projectiles since they're so inexpensive.

I like that you respect the fact that Nintendo can move product and make money, but it's not good business to totally neglect players of good games. The reason the Wii is successful is that, yes, it can crank out stuff for the masses, but also, it cranks out enough (JUST enough) for the hardcore players, too. It's probably about a 50/50 balance. Nobody ought to complain about good business models. The business model is so good that Sony and Micro$oft have--very unsuccessfully--tried to mimic it.

Now, may I direct you to Tatsunoko vs. Capcom?

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is a good game. I just hope they do like they did with Viewtiful Joe and port it.

OT: Great review. The joke about jacking off wind turbines was very original and unexpected.

I played red steel 1 on a friends wii, and it was god awful, especially the split screen multiplayer with dumb downed graphics.

It's a pity that this one isn't any where near what they were promising regarding improvements. Good episode with cool reboot reference.

I actually think that the Wii motion sensor is also useful for shooting games, if it works properly, like the arcade railway shooters, only you actually can control where you walk to.

Reboot references get instant praise from Dok Zombie.

Huzzah.

Quiet Stranger:

AceInTheHole16:
WTF's Reboot?

You poor sad sad human being, Reboot was a kids show (one of the best and the first computer generated show ever) in Canada (no idea how Yatzhee knows about it) I recommend it also nice Reboot reference and he owned the Wii

It was syndicated in the UK for CITV. That's how I know about it and Yahtzee is only slightly older than me, so that's probably how.

_Russell_:
Love the Princess Bridge reference in the end credits. :D

The Wii was fun for the first few hours and handy at a couple of parties but I regret buying it.
The only game I've ever truly enjoyed on it was Resident Evil 4, and that was a GameCube remake.

Popeye said "I am what I am", Nintendo should keep this in mind for the Wii, it'll never be anything other than a casual gaming platform so it shouldn't try to be anything else.

Trying to market it has hardcore is like hiring a Sumo wrestler as a weight-watcher spokesman.

You're dead wrong. You've obviously NEVER played any of the GOOD games on the Wii. There's plenty out there. One releases about every three or four months on average. And yeah, that's enough.

Also, what the hell is a Princess Bridge? You're obviously loony.

effilctar:

Thunderhorse31:
snip

Your avatar is amazing!

OT: You know, I don't pay much attention to the Wii and don't even acknowledge any games for it other than the fun little sports games you can play with the relatives at Christmas, the Xbox is for real games, but this game sounds okay.

HA!! Some day, I'll compile a list of all the amazing games for the Wii. In fact, maybe that day will be Saturday.

Quiet Stranger:

AceInTheHole16:
WTF's Reboot?

It was also in America, on Toonami, which Cartoon Network axed in recent years. Shortly thereafter, they gave up Naruto to Disney XD, which is completely sick. They also barely have any good animoo left.

Loved the video and completely agree. I do find Red Steel 2 to be the most fun I've had on my Wii for a long time.

MaxChaos:

pedroREE:

heh, reviews God of War III

I noticed that too. Hehe.

Also, it's quite funny all the people wanting to GET THEMSELVES NOTICED by posting before they've even watched the damn thing.

Sooo some ppl know the exact moment of upload woow...get a fkin life....
P.S. what time is it?...xD

Wow, could this be the first step in Wii technology? As you said, it's only been 3 years >.<

EddySpaghetti:

Sooo some ppl know the exact moment of upload woow...get a fkin life....
P.S. what time is it?...xD

1700, GMT.

A Reboot reference, an Alucard rip-off, cats with assault rifles...

Let it not be said that ZP doesn't have something for everybody.

Gaming King:

Baron_BJ:
I haven't bothered to dust off my Wii for a fair while considering how bad most games are in regards to actual gameplay control, but with what can reasonably be considered a positive ZP review of the controls then it can't really be too bad, this kind of action is after all, the reason I purchased the system in the first place. Lack of physical interaction will still make this a bit shitty.

I haven't seen this release in stores here in QLD, despite Yahtzee already having his hands on a copy. It may merely be sold out.

TATSUNOKO VS. CAPCOM. And in a couple months, Metroid: Other M.

I've never heard of "TATSUNOKO VS. CAPCOM", in fact, I've never even heard of TATSUNOKO at all, quite frankly it doesn't sound like anything impressive, merely another game, most like set on either a 2.5D land frame or a very small arena like area each based on one of the characters who can be played as, each arena having very limited interactivity. The story would probably be extremely loose considering the game will be almost certainly combat only.

"Metroid: Other M", I've been very much looking forward to, however the title is still the very worst I've ever seen. Hopefully it won't be using the motion sensor, I hope to play the game using the "classic controller". The classic controller allows the Wii to perform like a proper console, it's the main reason I haven't sold my Wii, though it does limit my possible game choices.

SIDE NOTE: Posters, don't just type in a single sentence stating what happened in the video. This is a thread about the video. That means that the posts therein are meant to be part of a DISCUSSION about the video, it's not so that a person, for whatever reason can somehow feel gratified that they posted in one of the earlier section of a ZP thread. In laments terms; Post something constructive or that might be a basis of/continuation of a discussion or get out and stop wasting space that could be used by someone who wishes to post intelligently.

Gammaj4:

The Rockerfly:
Huh I thought it was going to be awesome, oh well I don't have a Wii but it was still amusing to watch

Actually, it is quite good. Yahtzee tends to exaggerate, and this is no exception.
Unless you spend all your time traipsing about breaking stuff for cash, you're not going to be able to buy all the special moves, weapon upgrades, armor upgrades, ect. faster than your enemies scale.

And while you CAN use the Tiger to kill every enemy with ease, chances are, you won't. The actual combat is too much fun.

I hope you're referring to the game itself and not Yahtzee's review. It would seem that according to Yahtzee the combat is decent but nothing else is.

Had hope for Metro 2033 or Just Cause 2.

I always thought the Wii would lend itself well to the RTS genre(not that that would improve Yahtzee's opinion of it). While the mouse and keyboard setup continues to be the most effective way to play these games, the inability to point and click has always been the major shortcoming of the console-based RTS, and a wiimote could fill that vacuum quite effectively.

Baron_BJ:

Gaming King:

Baron_BJ:
I haven't bothered to dust off my Wii for a fair while considering how bad most games are in regards to actual gameplay control, but with what can reasonably be considered a positive ZP review of the controls then it can't really be too bad, this kind of action is after all, the reason I purchased the system in the first place. Lack of physical interaction will still make this a bit shitty.

I haven't seen this release in stores here in QLD, despite Yahtzee already having his hands on a copy. It may merely be sold out.

TATSUNOKO VS. CAPCOM. And in a couple months, Metroid: Other M.

I've never heard of "TATSUNOKO VS. CAPCOM", in fact, I've never even heard of TATSUNOKO at all, quite frankly it doesn't sound like anything impressive, merely another game, most like set on either a 2.5D land frame or a very small arena like area each based on one of the characters who can be played as, each arena having very limited interactivity. The story would probably be extremely loose considering the game will be almost certainly combat only.

"Metroid: Other M", I've been very much looking forward to, however the title is still the very worst I've ever seen. Hopefully it won't be using the motion sensor, I hope to play the game using the "classic controller". The classic controller allows the Wii to perform like a proper console, it's the main reason I haven't sold my Wii, though it does limit my possible game choices.

SIDE NOTE: Posters, don't just type in a single sentence stating what happened in the video. This is a thread about the video. That means that the posts therein are meant to be part of a DISCUSSION about the video, it's not so that a person, for whatever reason can somehow feel gratified that they posted in one of the earlier section of a ZP thread. In laments terms; Post something constructive or that might be a basis of/continuation of a discussion or get out and stop wasting space that could be used by someone who wishes to post intelligently.

Glad you're looking at Other M. I personally think that's a badass-sounding title and can't wait to find out the meaning. It controls NES-style, with few buttons, and a + Control Pad. No motion as far as anyone knows. But Metroid has done motion controls right in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and Metroid Prime Trilogy. Get Metroid Prime Trilogy if you like first person games AT ALL.

If you haven't heard of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, you don't play fighting games and you're REALLY missing out.

Haha, brilliant one this week though it seems you quite enjoyed this one, aside from the seemingly easy difficulty curve.

Eh. I found the episode mediocre in quality. As a whole I think Yahtzee has been on the descent in quality, but I'm sure that's just me.

On topic, I love Red Steel 2. The motion controls add an energy that really can't be replicated in any other game right now.

Gaming King:

You're dead wrong. You've obviously NEVER played any of the GOOD games on the Wii. There's plenty out there. One releases about every three or four months on average.

Hey I'm opened minded, care to list any of them?

Gaming King:
Also, what the hell is a Princess Bridge? You're obviously loony.

Ah, so the madness finally sets in.

i laughed at the part where he said that after a fight since he was holding the sword vertically the characther looks up the sky like in retrospective

Excellent review, I'm looking forward to No More Heroes 2 review, if you do one.

CrystalShadow:

It doesn't because the gameplay would become a mess. Blocking is 1:1...

At least, that's the excuse the devs came up with.

I think what they said is that if it were 1:1 control, everyone would suck too much. :D

Seriously though, I've spent some time doing martial arts that have sword forms, and it's harder than it looks.

I don't doubt for a moment that any martial art is difficult (they don't look easy at all, either.) I just figured that by now, with millions of wannabe-Jedi and/or fanboi-samurai out there there'd be a game that gave them what they want: realistic swordplay without the nicks and bruises unchecked cosplay-swordfighting can bring.

I guess there're still boffers for the physically motivated.

Hrm what sort of hardcore can be used for the wii controller huh....whelp seems the thing is that question could remain unanswered because hardcore isn't really a part of Nintendo's stance.

You asked at the end, what sort of scenario would the Motion plus really work for.

What about a Castlevania game? The motion control would work well as the series' canonical whip.

I loved how he ragged on Nintendo for taking three years to make the Wii do what people have been expecting it to do from the release.

It actually seems like he enjoyed this game though, that kinda surprised me. But I'm happy he found some enjoyment, cause the poor guy really needs something. (Like a GF, seriously what is with all the wanking refs these days)

Also, I too hope to see him review Silent Hill: Shattered Memories as well

Stickfigure:
I always thought the Wii would lend itself well to the RTS genre(not that that would improve Yahtzee's opinion of it). While the mouse and keyboard setup continues to be the most effective way to play these games, the inability to point and click has always been the major shortcoming of the console-based RTS, and a wiimote could fill that vacuum quite effectively.

I think you have a really good point there. I agree that the lack of mouse control puts console RTS games at a big disadvantage. But what hadn't occurred to me before is that the Wiimote would theoretically make a good substitute.

However, I'm still highly skeptical of the idea of RTS games being successful on the Wii because they generally seem to be in contrast with the kind of games that have made the Wii popular like Wii Sports for example.

Hobbes showed up AND a cat had Lancer?!? This episode was AWESOME!

it sounded like he like it, in a wierd hateful way

Teeheehee. This is the first one that made me laugh in a couple of weeks, as opposed to merely eliciting a snicker. Loved the gag at the end.

Here I was hoping "Red Steel 2" was one of those mechy games. Chrome Hounds turned out rather well, and the next Mechwarrior is just being a tease.

Anywho, Red Steel 2 sounds like an interesting game nonetheless that I should check out just to see how well it performs.

I always though that the wii motion plus would do nothing more than make games much more tiring to play. The only sword swinging game I have is Sonic and the Black Knight, and that one works by simple flicks of the wrist. I must say I'm pleased that the device works, but since the only thing you'd need it for is swinging a baseball bat, tennis racket, golf club, or sword I can't imagine it being used for many types of games.

Yahtzee, you're a great reviewer, and God, I love ya', but I really hope your constant disappointment with anything made by Nintendo is more about your intent to come off as a people-hater than to genuinely be dissuading people from looking into it.

I agree as much as you will that motion control is just a long-term experiment, much like 3D movies. The only reason it's got such a free ride is because it's different. It's a gimmick if there ever was one. But even if I personally don't like using it and will prefer plugging in the Gamecube controller whenever I (rarely) play a Wii game, I understand the necessity of it all.

Look, the Wii is definitely designed around the casual gamer, and for many but the most devoted of Nintendo fans, a lot of it won't seem made for them. A lot of it will seem really easy, almost insultingly so, but I think that's the truth of it all. A LOT of the Wii ISN'T for those of us seeking greater and greater challenges, not to say the first-party Mario titles ever disappoint even now. Nintendo realized there was a vacuum in the market for games and consoles priced and intended for gamers who were never gamers before. They realized that just as they had raised our generation of now-hardcores' back in the NES/SNES/64 days, so too did the newest generation need the same thing. Except nobody else in the gaming industry was prepared to do that.

Back in the golden age, we had Atari, Sega and Nintendo, all GAMING companies. Since then, the two new big guys have stepped in and made a name for themselves, and as a whole Playstation and XBox are distributing gaming to the masses adequately. But the problem is, Sony and Microsoft aren't GAMING companies, they're massive multinational corporate empires, and they're less concerned with the ultimate fate of the gaming industry than they are about appealing to what people seem to want here and now.

Back in the 80's, comic books went to a point when the geekier aspect made for kids was almost chucked entirely out the window when the "Grim and Gritty" fad took over, with comics like Watchemen and Spawn forming bandwagons that everyone else jumped on, since all the older hardcore comic book fans thought it was so badass. But then, early 90's, those fans grew up and stopped buying comics out of necessity, and there were no young comic book reading kids to spur on a new generation. No Mom wanted to buy their kid "Spawn", are you kidding? And so the market imploded, and to this day you can't get kids to buy comic books, not unless they actually happen to be Japanese manga.

This can happen to gaming, and it looks all too likely that it will. Nintendo has played their cards smart, they know they need to attract and makes games for new gamers. The WiiMote and all it's motion-sensor garbage was probably a fluke, but Nintendo is going to use it, because everyone wants it. They've got themselves a mascot, a timeless symbol of gaming named Mario for the new gamers to rally behind, whereas Playstation has "BluRay Logo Man", and XBox has Master Chief, a faceless lump of emotionless armor. Casual gaming is getting parents and grandparents little kids to join the cause. And if it keeps up, gaming may stop being such an insider thing and enter the mass media, securing itself as part of our culture, the same way that comics, film and television did in their day, when THEY were the new kids on the block.

And it's working, the Wii may make a lot of shovel-ware needlessly, but it's conquering sales, and Nintendo is unthinkably on top as if the world had rewound back to the good old days. Nintendo is a gaming company, and they're willing to step back and be the elementary teachers of the new generation instead of running with their graduates, willing to immortalize gaming and do what's necessary to strengthen its weak points and its place in the world. Playstation and XBox are doing their thing just fine, but what casual game exists for the Playstation? Ratchet and Clank? That's about it. But without all those new gamers, the market will implode. And the second it does, Sony and XBox can and WILL opt out. No more Playstation, no more XBox, and they'd take a ton of 3rd party devs with them, since Nintendo will still be going, but will see no reason to keep the 3rd parties on life support. Goodbye Konami, goodbye Capcom.

Yahtzee, I understand. I know you WANT to root for Nintendo as much as anyone, but you see so little for you that you can't see how you can do that. You loved No More Heroes, so I know you're not indiscriminate, but rather than insist that however little you like it, the Wii is designed around casual and beginner gamers, you merely call the console worthless as a whole, and since so many people listen to your opinions Yahtzee, that's done far more harm than good, it's helped widen an unhealthy rift between the casual gamers and the hardcores. I'm sure that's not your intention, but the fact remains, we as gamers, hardcore or casual, need to stand as a whole for the love of our medium, to beat down the unfair negative stigmas gaming has garnered, especially to fight off the bullshit violence debate. The casual gamers are non-gamers giving gaming a go. How much more solid ground will we have if our Moms and Grandmoms become gamers in the slightest sense, no longer seeing the console as this untrustworthy bad-habit machine. We need this to get bigger, we need them on our side.

Nintendo understood this. The Wii doesn't have everything for everyone, but it just about has everything for someone, and those someone's are the casual gamers. They are necessary, and I applaud Nintendo for being the only ones to really see it, even if it means less content an experienced gamer like myself is likely to enjoy.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here