Escape to the Movies: Kick-Ass

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Kick-Ass

This week MovieBob takes a look at the comic book to film adaptation of Kick-Ass.

Watch Video

Hit Girl is so awesome! That's how I'm going to train my daughter.

Like you said waaaaaaaaaay back in the Up review:

How to make a good action movie:

INTERESTING CHARACTERS + THRILLING SITUATIONS.

A lot of movies lack the first part, though, eh?

Glad this isn't one of them.

Ok, master Bob, I will go see it.

*walks slowly towards movie theater while chanting*

All hail Bob. All hail Bob.

I enjoyed the Kick-Ass comic so I was already going to see the movie this weekend, but it's good to hear you being positive about it.

I can't wait to see it. :)

Awesome. I'll probably have to go see this... I have money now.

There's been a ton of talk about the film's morally questionable sense of humor. Though I was going to see it anyway, I liked your take on the subject.

Could you please clue me in on to what big daddy is doing bob. I'm as old as you (well 27, almost as old), but admittedly terrible at seeing "deeper meaning" or "symbolism".

EDIT: upon reading further comments, yeah I probably would have got that. I haven't seen the movie yet but I figured you would be referring to something more "deep". Which I never get.

I should porbably give this one a look then. By the way bob, what did you make of Roger Ebert's review of the film?

I did think the action sequences were quite good, but I didn't laugh once. Just a shame that most of those action scenes were already played endlessly during the trailers for the movie, so they came as no surprise when they played in the actual feature.

Huh. Is this the worst marketing job ever, or what? I had no idea what the movie was about-- I thought it was a KIDDIE flick FFS.

I imagine that I'm not the only one: anyone who isn't familiar with the comic book probably has a mistaken impression about the movie if they go solely by the commercials... (I suppose a trailer might clarify things more.)

Eh, still hasn't convinced me - at least not enough to justify spending horrendous amounts of money at the movies. Looks like I'll be checking this one out once it's available as a DVD rental.

Saw it last week, one of the best movies in a long time.
Best character has to be Big Daddy, Hit-Girl was awesome but not as awesome.
Also has anyone read the review which the Daily Mail did on this?
If not here it is
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/reviews/article-1262948/Kick-Ass-Dont-fooled-hype--This-crime-cinema-twisted-cynical-revels-abuse-childhood.html
I don't know whether this is more twisted than the film in question or bloody hilarious.

Oh I can't wait to see this movie now. I thought it looked funny, but I didn't think it would actually look good.

solidstatemind:
Huh. Is this the worst marketing job ever, or what? I had no idea what the movie was about-- I thought it was a KIDDIE flick FFS.

I imagine that I'm not the only one: anyone who isn't familiar with the comic book probably has a mistaken impression about the movie if they go solely by the commercials... (I suppose a trailer might clarify things more.)

I watched the red band trailer so I knew what was coming and loved it.

I wonder if hit girl was allowed to see the film she was starring in.

Are we sick this week bob? You sound really tired. Anyway i may go see this but tonight i'm seeing the how to train your dragon with my kids.

He's doing an interpretation of Adam West's Batman. So suck it, Moviebob, I got the reference!

Hubilub:
Ok, master Bob, I will go see it.

*walks slowly towards movie theater while chanting*

All hail Bob. All hail Bob.

We are the Bob. Resistance is futile.

OT: This is one movie that I can't wait to see. Looks like quite the fun ride!

And yeah, my daughter's gonna be like that, one day. Just give it roughly 10 years.

Bob sounds a bit sick.

I saw this film a week back and LOVED IT, IDK, the fight scenes were just so fun to watch and the soundtrack put some much energy into them.

I must admit, Hit Girl was awesome, and if the actress keeps up with her acting career I can see her going far.

Edit: ALSO, I really want to know what he meant about the final comment, I'm under 20 and I didn't really see any symbolism or whatever there, so I'm interested to know now. (And too lazy to go scourge the Internet for an answer.)

Going to see this tonight. I've been looking forward to it for a long while now. Counting on you to be right again Bob.

Captain Pancake:
He's doing an interpretation of Adam West's Batman. So suck it, Moviebob, I got the reference!

Oh Really? Well now I have to go see it. I loved the old Adam West Batman show.

This film was awesome. Though it stops being funny bout halfway through it. Instead it goes for pure shock factor towards the end.

Still a cracking film.

Swear I must've seen this like three weeks ago? Is it only just out in the states, or is Bob just really running behind?

Yeah, there are a few spoilers here.

Was going to write a kick-ass user reveiw but never got arrround to it. I thought it was s very good film despite some of it's failings. The tone and overall violence reminds me somewhat on the best of what amine can do, put young people in a violent universe and make it awesome and dubious massacres by 11 year old girls really did invoke that.

I thought it's tone was sligly dark in places, it was fun but it did do at least a little exploration. Some of the funnier bits come from just shattering the conventions of the superhero movie like not killing the villans. In one of hit girl'd most memorable scenes she kills ALL the guys in an apartment, even just some random junkies, slices their limbs right off.

Might still write that reveiw, the film is essentially about a self gratifying ego fantasy decending into self gratifying ultraviolence so my take it it's essentially a film about masturbation. No really. There is like a 5 minute scene in which Dave explains how he wacks off over EVERYTHING. The undertone of tit gags also comes back in random places to great effect.

I loved it, and almost all the comments you made, I made during the film, soundtrack, Cage etc etc. Go watch it, because as he says, it's just FUN

If I wasn't in the middle of finals, I'd go see this tonight. As such, I'll have to wait another week and a half. Sucks, but I can't go failing any exams when I'm this close to graduating.

Also, I knew you wouldn't let this one get away without a mention of Watchmen. And as I always do when presented with such an opinion, I have to respectfully disagree that Watchmen was 'awesome'.

Captain Pancake:

That makes sense now. I was thinking he was almost going for a sort of Capt. Kirk thing with his pauses in speech.

solidstatemind:

If you search kick ass on google you can find an uncensored trailer, that definitely proves that it is not a kiddie movie.

OT: I am now more sure than ever that I want to go see this movie.

Wow, I was surprised at your more serious tone at first, Bob. Made me think you were about to shit all over the movie in your review. Definitely going to go see this tonight, keep up the good work!

A brilliant movie, and one that everyone should pay to see twice, seeing as the studios wouldn't touch it so Matthew Vaughn had to finance it himself.

AMCization:
Swear I must've seen this like three weeks ago? Is it only just out in the states, or is Bob just really running behind?

Yeah, British made film, we got to see it first. It's a fantastic movie, isn't it?

It's been said already and ignored - most of the under 20's will miss the point of the fragmented voice pattern and OTT stances that Cage pulls out. Two Words: Adam West

Which gimp said he didn't laugh? Are you broken in the head? The bazooka? The in car groove-fest? The 11 year old girl owning a switch blade competition? Hell, even if it's just the totally inappropriate and therefore perfect soundtrack used to accentuate the many insane action sequences.

There was a lot to love about this movie, it had heart, character and more than anything, a lot of fun!

Bob + 1

Saw this a few weeks ago. LOVED IT! I really want to go see it again!

Drmonstereater:
There's been a ton of talk about the film's morally questionable sense of humor. Though I was going to see it anyway, I liked your take on the subject.

I don't see how any morally questionable humor would bother anyone who the movie was targeted to. Some of the best comedies I've seen are full of humor that makes you feel horable for laughing but you just have to watch it again. Some people are just to stuck up when it comes to movies like American Pie and South Park's, Throw you sensabilities to the side and go watch people do and say hilarious shit that you would never do, thats what the movies are for in my opinion.

Geez, I didn't know there'd be a ton of gore (never read the comic). I figured it was a "Mystery Men" for an even younger audience, and thus would be nothing more than general slapstick and cutesy dialogue. From the TV trailers it certainly seemed the case.

But upon learning otherwise, I may just have to give it a try now.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here