Escape to the Movies: Kick-Ass

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Now I'm interested in the whole movie and all but I've still got no picture on exactly HOW violent the action is. I mean anything that someone can compare it to to help me out here?

I mean I liked Inglourious Basterds in almost every way except for those quick scenes of super violence like the scalping and such. The shooting didn't bother me at all but any really violent close combat stuff will make me dislike a movie. Kids being involved in the violence is a variable that I'd have to go see in order to make a judgement on but if the violence is as extreme as the impression I'm getting I probably won't go see it.

Saw it today. I loved it. I would recommend it to everyone. Didn't change much from the comic, which is good because the comic is incredible. Definitely earns it's R rating. I hope Millar continues on with this.

Awexsome:
Now I'm interested in the whole movie and all but I've still got no picture on exactly HOW violent the action is. I mean anything that someone can compare it to to help me out here?

I mean I liked Inglourious Basterds in almost every way except for those quick scenes of super violence like the scalping and such. The shooting didn't bother me at all but any really violent close combat stuff will make me dislike a movie. Kids being involved in the violence is a variable that I'd have to go see in order to make a judgement on but if the violence is as extreme as the impression I'm getting I probably won't go see it.

The violence is on par with Watchmen. There is some up close hand-to-hand, but nothing as gory as Tarantino or Hostel. You should see it if for nothing more than Hit Girl.

I dont see how she was made to look sexy. She looks just like any other girl I se...

oh

That one scene with Big Daddy (in the lumber warehouse with the Mafia guys) was more awesome than any other film AND all the other scenes in Kick Ass put together. I got home and watched it over and over again on youtube after I saw the film

Also, what does Bob mean by people under 20 not getting what Big Daddy is doing? I'm under 20, and I don't understand what I'm meant to be missing

Two words. The Prodigy.
After seeing the film a week ago, it is all I have been listening to.

And the Banana Song, which is also in the film.

Little Duck:

solidstatemind:
Huh. Is this the worst marketing job ever, or what? I had no idea what the movie was about-- I thought it was a KIDDIE flick FFS.

I imagine that I'm not the only one: anyone who isn't familiar with the comic book probably has a mistaken impression about the movie if they go solely by the commercials... (I suppose a trailer might clarify things more.)

I watched the red band trailer so I knew what was coming and loved it.

I wonder if hit girl was allowed to see the film she was starring in.

That's something I've been asking about most films in general.

brilliant film really liked the comic though one isnt better than the other they are just difference

dmase:

Drmonstereater:
There's been a ton of talk about the film's morally questionable sense of humor. Though I was going to see it anyway, I liked your take on the subject.

I don't see how any morally questionable humor would bother anyone who the movie was targeted to. Some of the best comedies I've seen are full of humor that makes you feel horable for laughing but you just have to watch it again. Some people are just to stuck up when it comes to movies like American Pie and South Park's, Throw you sensabilities to the side and go watch people do and say hilarious shit that you would never do, thats what the movies are for in my opinion.

I never said I thought the humor was debased to me; mostly because I would be bullshiting it to max because I've haven't seen it yet. Though the arguments do have some weight; watching an elven year old girl bounce around decapitating and mutilating bad-guys shouldn't be funny, though when you look at her as a caricature (as Bob does) she becomes hilarious. Or so I've heard.

I enjoyed KICK-ASS to an almost fetishistic level.

I honestly couldn't dislike it if I tried, since even the flaws in the narrative are balanced by the aesthetic imagination and brilliant casting.

I just had a "fridge brilliance" like revelation about the movie
(specifically, thanks to some changes in the adaption)

Kick-Ass (the character), tries to argue that you don't need super powers or a fateful turn in your life to become a superhero (saying something along the lines of "it doesn't take your parents getting shot or a power ring"), but the movie then...

What cracks me up is the way people are touting the gore level. It wasn't that gory compared to anything else, how about Watchmen (which incidentally is to film what Jeffrey Dahmer is to the boy scout movement) and I'm guessing Daybreakers and the recent Repo Men is fairly comparable to.

It's a great film with lots going on and I was going.

And an aside, what's with lots of folk saying 'I thought this film was going to be for kids'? Do you not look at other sites or media?

Absolutely loved it. It was as evil as it was cool.

And Hit-Girl's first line kicks so much ass it's no wonder she's the star of the show.

FYI, I'm under 20 and caught the Adam West gone bad thing Cage was doing. What can I say, I watched the '60s Batman when I was a kid.

Drmonstereater:

dmase:

Drmonstereater:
There's been a ton of talk about the film's morally questionable sense of humor. Though I was going to see it anyway, I liked your take on the subject.

I don't see how any morally questionable humor would bother anyone who the movie was targeted to. Some of the best comedies I've seen are full of humor that makes you feel horable for laughing but you just have to watch it again. Some people are just to stuck up when it comes to movies like American Pie and South Park's, Throw you sensabilities to the side and go watch people do and say hilarious shit that you would never do, thats what the movies are for in my opinion.

I never said I thought the humor was debased to me; mostly because I would be bullshiting it to max because I've haven't seen it yet. Though the arguments do have some weight; watching an elven year old girl bounce around decapitating and mutilating bad-guys shouldn't be funny, though when you look at her as a caricature (as Bob does) she becomes hilarious. Or so I've heard.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was saying you thought it was immoral or something. Just people in general will rally against a movie because of its content when its just a movie.

danpascooch:

PurpleLeafRave:
Hit Girl is so awesome! That's how I'm going to train my daughter.

train your daughter?

She's not a fucking dog dude...

It was a joke, I'm not even going to have kids.

There was so much insight and presences of mind in that review I'm was left dumb-founded. Once again Moviebob has show us that comic books/superhero movies can have a profound message and idea in relation to our pop culture. Although the level of intelligence at The Escapist has definitely diminished over the past year, I am glad that the quality of the content hasn't. Keep it up Moviebob!

I saw it last week and loved it, thanks for the reveiw bob.

The idea of hit girl is just stupid to me. I mean a girl that young simply doesn't have the physical strength to do most of what you see in the movie. Not to mention that it would take a hell of a lot longer then the few years possible to train her to be as inhumanly skilled as she is. Over all the character is just..stupid. The scenes are pretty nice but the character just ruins it for me. Maybe if she was a few years older, a female robin of sorts, that I could see.

I almost thought Bob wasn't going to review this. Especially after not even getting a review last week.

And I swear I've seen Kick-Ass 3 times by now. I really find it surprising when America don't get the movie first. Although, twas the same with Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and The Fantastic Mr. Fox. (Both of which I love!)

Well I'd already concluded I wasn't going to see this movie and you haven't convinced me to change my mind. Oh and incidentally Bob, some of the movies you like and dislike really blow my mind, and not in a good way.

Not going to comment on the costume designs? Kickass looks like he should, but Hit Girl and Red mist look terrible. They looked good in the comic, why couldn't they look like that?
Big daddy looks decent, but I would have preferred if they went with the comic version costumes for all of them. They all had a very "Homemade" feel to them.

The whole time, I thought "I know I've seen the guy who played Big Daddy before, I just don't remember where." Then boom, Nicholas Cage shows up and it just clicks. I think it was the mustache.

Kick-Ass was fun, though, I'd reccomend it.

I wish this was a bad film, just so I could say: "Kick Ass"? More like, "Suck Balls"!........

It's named Kick-Ass. I want to see it.

Wow was this movie ever marketed badly (or I'm stupid). The trailers had me thinking it was some more teeniebopper comedy garbage. I think that reaction came about when I saw Chris Mintz-Plasse was involved.

Hmmmm. I was ready to see the film until I heard the "Gore with the mock sexualition of the female character" That's a bit of a turn off. The ads kinda sold it like an action packed comedy you can watch with the family but apparantly its more than that.
It still sounds good though, but with all this I'm not sure if it is my kind of movie ya know? I'm kinda icky about gore and stuff like that. If no one invites me to it I'll probably just went it.

solidstatemind:
Huh. Is this the worst marketing job ever, or what? I had no idea what the movie was about-- I thought it was a KIDDIE flick FFS.

I imagine that I'm not the only one: anyone who isn't familiar with the comic book probably has a mistaken impression about the movie if they go solely by the commercials... (I suppose a trailer might clarify things more.)

Not the worst. People actually took their kids to see Pan's Labyrinth. At least this one has "Ass" right in the title. Doesn't anybody notice when a film is rated R anymore?

sorry MovieBob...still looks like shit to me.

...just like how Watchmen was a shit movie (really, it seriously was such a shit movie...I cant believe you actually liked it). That blue dude in the movie (you know...the one who always rocked out with his cock out?) pissed me off in so many ways. I wanted him to just die. I hated that blue prick.

*SPOILERS IF YOU HAVNT SEEN WATCHMEN*

Rorschach (or however you spell it) was the best character in the movie...and he as the one who died. You want to know why the good guys win in mostly every movie???? Because if the bad guys win (like what happened in Watchmen) then the movie ends up being a total let-down and it makes me angry.

This film is definitely worth the time. This movie was the most fun I have had in a long time. Hit-girl stole the show and the action scenes were worth the price of the admission. I have never in my life seen an eleven year old girl kick so much ass.

I've worked in a movie theater since I was 16, I turn 20 next month. So I haven't paid to see a movie in almost four years... until Kick Ass. It was worth every penny. Everyone should definitely see this film, it's one of the best films I've seen in a long time (and I see basically everything) because as Bob said it's just fun, and it knows it. With films like Avatar you get the feeling that Cameron was trying to achieve something, to amaze you but with Kick Ass they just wanted you to have a good time and they succeeded.

pearcinator:
sorry MovieBob...still looks like shit to me.

...just like how Watchmen was a shit movie (really, it seriously was such a shit movie...I cant believe you actually liked it). That blue dude in the movie (you know...the one who always rocked out with his cock out?) pissed me off in so many ways. I wanted him to just die. I hated that blue prick.

*SPOILERS IF YOU HAVNT SEEN WATCHMEN*

Rorschach (or however you spell it) was the best character in the movie...and he as the one who died. You want to know why the good guys win in mostly every movie???? Because if the bad guys win (like what happened in Watchmen) then the movie ends up being a total let-down and it makes me angry.

I don't want to sound like a pretentious dick, but if you thought Ozymandias was "the bad guy", you missed the point. Watchmen wasn't as black and white as all that. For instance, I'd consider Rorschach more morally reprehensible than Ozymandias.

You're not really supposed to like Manhattan by the way. He's the least relatable character in the entire movie.

But as I said, Watchmen isn't just a black and white movie, it's all grey areas and everyone's going to form an opinion on it one way or the other so obviously some people's will be negative.

GrinningManiac:
That one scene with Big Daddy (in the lumber warehouse with the Mafia guys) was more awesome than any other film AND all the other scenes in Kick Ass put together. I got home and watched it over and over again on youtube after I saw the film

Also, what does Bob mean by people under 20 not getting what Big Daddy is doing? I'm under 20, and I don't understand what I'm meant to be missing

I think a better observation would be under 20 and not a nerd... But we're not all on a gaming forum for nothing, I think most escapists will get it.

I am still not sure about seeing this movie BECAUSE i don't like batman or iCarly so this probably isn't for me

Just saw it today based on this review, have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it and would definitely go see it again. The characters were really interesting, the film switches tone almost uncomfortably quickly at times, but in a good way (like many an anime in fact), and Hit Girl is just freaking awesome. Best movie I've seen in a long time.

I thought this movie was absolutly brillaint.

For some reason I did see someone who looked about 12 in the same cinema as me... dont think they were in there for long though. I think i saw them leave and not come back.

Eh.

I think the whole thing with Hit-Girl (its wrong to make an 11yr old do this shit) is just the fact that she says 'Fuck' a lot and drops in 'C**t' in pretty much her first line in the movie.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here