Escape to the Movies: Kick-Ass

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I went to an advance screening of it, as a fan of the comic and who owns the graphic novel I personally found the film to be superior in several ways, it didn't hold back on the violence and gore from the comic but at the same time it made the main characters much more likeable or sinister and added some more depth to the Kick-Ass story that I felt was lacking in the comic, in the comic more of the characters either felt like they were just thrown in or were not likeable at all, in this one every character that gets dialouge at least gets the time to make them feel like they belong. Hit-Girl is nightmare fuel unleaded and the fact she is only 11 didn't detract from the fact that her action scenes are incredible. Nicolas Cage is perfect as Big Daddy and this review does make me wish he could have played Batman at some point.

So yes, a much better film that the graphic novel, although both are very enjoyable.

EDIT: I tend to compare it slightly to Watchmen in terms of how their respective films came out, since it took 23 years for a film of Watchmen to get out and because of how afraid of further pissing off Alan Moore people are it wasn't worth the risk to really change much, the film suffered for it and while a respectable adaption doesn't hold a coin to the graphic novel. Kick-Ass has had the luck of a quick film release and allowed for more liberties with the story in it. Since it's not had the time to build up a reputation as a classic like Watchmen has.

Again, I am both a fan of Watchmen and Kick-Ass, but while Watchmen easily has the better comic, Kick-Ass kicks it's ass in it's film.

Nicholas Cage is the first batman that actually seems scary as hell. Mainly during the warehouse scene, he scared the fuck outta me. Actually seemed dangerous.

To Bob:

I "get" what Nick Cage was doing as Big-Daddy. I couldn't stop laughing anytime he spoke in costume. It was spot on perfect. Shame my friends that saw it with me didn't get it.

The trailers for this movie are very misleading. It makes you think it's some sort of stupid comedy, but it's really a gore/action movie with sprinkles of comedy in it. It's one of the best movies this year, and there is a scene at the end of the movie with that little girl that is reminds me of the lobby scene in the matrix with neo and trinity. That one scene makes the whole movie worth while.

Its definitely fun to watch. Lots of action, decent comedy. Can be brutal. I can see how people could get "offended", but come on. Its just a movie.

MetaKnight19:

TomOfTheCross:
Saw it last week, one of the best movies in a long time.
Best character has to be Big Daddy, Hit-Girl was awesome but not as awesome.
Also has anyone read the review which the Daily Mail did on this?
If not here it is
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/reviews/article-1262948/Kick-Ass-Dont-fooled-hype--This-crime-cinema-twisted-cynical-revels-abuse-childhood.html
I don't know whether this is more twisted than the film in question or bloody hilarious.

I wouldn't take anything the Mail has to say too seriously. I'm surprised they momentarily stopped talking about immigration figures long enough to write a review about what seems to be a genuinely good film.

OT : Chances are I will get around to watching this at some point, but I will most likely wait for the DVD/Blu-Ray release.

Wait for Blu-ray? Seriously, go watch at the cinema. It benefits from the big screen SO much.

filmed near my home and i recognized most of the areas.
also i loved the movie!!

Idiot reviewer, you seriously just made yourself sound like a pedophile.

Well done, Bob.

I would have liked to have gone through the thread so I could contribute to the discussion, but there are six pages of it. )-:

Seriously good review & piece of criticism. Every important angle covered and intelligent response. I've sifted through a few kick ass reviews and you express everything they tried to, wonderfully. Really liked the Jurassic park comparison. Does anything execute this elusive combination of juvenile glee and dark cynicism well?

There must be something. It sounds like it could be really great if done well doesn't it?

just read the book and Loved it

I was going to avoid this like the plague thinking it would be an awful AWFUL American teen parody mind number but the review just confirms what my friends that have seen it have said and I'll be giving it a shot :)

Cannorn:
I was going to avoid this like the plague thinking it would be an awful AWFUL American teen parody mind number but the review just confirms what my friends that have seen it have said and I'll be giving it a shot :)

This is exactly what I thought. I'm now kind of interested, but I hate Nicholas Cage, and I heavily doubt I can get any of my friends to come in and watch this with me.

I'm known among my peers for hating on a lot of movies, and especially the superhero "fad" movies of the last decade or so. With all that in mind, I can tell you confidently that comic fans and movie nerds alike will not be disappointed by Kick-Ass.

No, it's not 100% like the comic, but it stays true to heart. What I mean is that the sacrifices made to adapt the comic into film didn't also remove the very soul of the work (both comic and film). This is something that few superhero movies have managed to do in the last 10 years, and the big studios could learn a valuable lesson if people would get out and support this movie by watching it in the theater.

Release the Kryptoniiiite!

I thought it was funny how so much of the film was shot in Toronto and Hamilton.
I found the Toronto spots easily 'cause I'm less than 40 minutes from the place and travel there extensively.

Also Nicolas Cage's Character reminded me of my brother (in a way) with the glasses, quirky smile 'n' laugh and of course the way he loves his daughter (not in the "I'm gonna shoot you, so you know how it feels" way).

TomOfTheCross:

MetaKnight19:

TomOfTheCross:
Saw it last week, one of the best movies in a long time.
Best character has to be Big Daddy, Hit-Girl was awesome but not as awesome.
Also has anyone read the review which the Daily Mail did on this?
If not here it is
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/reviews/article-1262948/Kick-Ass-Dont-fooled-hype--This-crime-cinema-twisted-cynical-revels-abuse-childhood.html
I don't know whether this is more twisted than the film in question or bloody hilarious.

I wouldn't take anything the Mail has to say too seriously. I'm surprised they momentarily stopped talking about immigration figures long enough to write a review about what seems to be a genuinely good film.

OT : Chances are I will get around to watching this at some point, but I will most likely wait for the DVD/Blu-Ray release.

Wait for Blu-ray? Seriously, go watch at the cinema. It benefits from the big screen SO much.

When it (reviews) comes from the UK I usually get ready to roll my eyes; Like when one UK media service said that "the 300 promotes homosexuality" or "King Kong is a metaphor for black slavery" (I'm paraphrasing of course) BUT when they say that "Hit girl promotes a sexualized view of children" and that "The reason the movie is sick, as well as thick, is that it breaks one of the last cinematic taboos by making the most violent, foul-mouthed and sexually aggressive character, Hit-Girl, an 11-year-old." I think they've missed the point of the character let alone the movie.

I have to say that seeing the trailers on TV made me think this was really some dumb kids movie, but after watching this review I really want to go see this movie now.....

Also anything Rodger Ebert calls "Morally Reprehensible" screams must go and see.

PurpleLeafRave:
Hit Girl is so awesome! That's how I'm going to train my daughter.

She'd be the only thing attracting me to this movie.

What does Cage do as "Big Daddy"? :/

And I heard there's a graphic scene of bonin' down? What's that all about!? >_<

Sephiwind:
I have to say that seeing the trailers on TV made me think this was really some dumb kids movie, but after watching this review I really want to go see this movie now.....

Also anything Rodger Ebert calls "Morally Reprehensible" screams must go and see.

LOL, an excellent point since he must see a WHOOOOLE lot of fairly morally sick movies. That must invoke curiosity in some people, although I myself don't like to shock myself silly.

I saw this for my birthday and it was well... kick ass!

I admit when I saw an advert for it I though it would be another pile of crap like epic movie.
But it's now one of my favorite action comedies. I can remember thinking that it should be an eighteen whilst watching some of the particularly violent scenes.

Oh and Big Daddy is BAD ASS!

simmeh:

Also, I knew you wouldn't let this one get away without a mention of Watchmen. And as I always do when presented with such an opinion, I have to respectfully disagree that Watchmen was 'awesome'.

THANK YOU for saying this before me. I actually felt that the characters in Kick Ass were far more psychologically believable than anything Watchmen could pull out of its hat. Watchmen just... I don't know, didn't have the flair and the selfawareness of how ridiculous and unattainable the superhero icon is that Kick Ass provided. And yes, I have read the original Watchmen comic and that in no way improved or enhanced my understanding of the film.

If the same form of cynicism that was present in Watchmen was removed from Kick Ass, then I am glad of it. Kick Ass wins, hands down.

Gaming King:

Sephiwind:

LOL, an excellent point since he must see a WHOOOOLE lot of fairly morally sick movies. That must invoke curiosity in some people, although I myself don't like to shock myself silly.

Ever since I watched Clockwork Orange back in high school it takes a lot for a movie to actually shock me.

Movie Bob, I respect you three times as much as I did before. You did a Kick-Ass review without using the line "Kick-ass kicks ass".
Thanks, mang!

This would have been a good movie if not for big daddy and hit girl.

The movie kind of trails away from the comic somewhere around the middle making it a lot more cheerful then the comic. Normally I would go hulk and start smashing the movie but it was so cool I'll spare it.

This just goes to show you that you can stray from the comic as long as you make it awesome enough to compensate. Although it does feel weaker then the comic it doesn't completely fuck it up.

MovieBob:

Arrers:
I should porbably give this one a look then. By the way bob, what did you make of Roger Ebert's review of the film?

Honestly, I was dissapointed to read it. NOT, I stress, because I "wanted" him to like it - generally speaking, "eff-the-world" satire isn't Ebert's thing (he didn't like Fight Club, either) - but because his review basically boiled down to "the violence involving children shocked me so much that the rest of it isn't worth commenting on," and... I dunno, I guess I expect him to be more thoughtful than that.

Ebert is THE most important American film critic still working. His breadth of knowledge is unmatched, his ecclectic experience as a onetime screenwriter and "man of the world" is legendary, and NO ONE - including me - would be able to make a career of doing film criticism as TV/web entertainment without Siskel & Ebert having existed.

But on this one... I don't think that "moral outrage" is a particularly worthwhile form of art critique. He didn't like the movie, fine, but I'd be more interested in knowing what it was in the execution of it that lowered his opinion of it instead of just "ick, kids and guns, no thanks." That's weaksauce. That's the sort of non-criticism you get out of "morality police" websites like CAPalert or the "parent's guide" folks. Hell, Ebert is a guy who made his early bones as the lone voice championing "Bonnie & Clyde" when all the other critics were dismissing it as "too violent;" so it's distressing to see him on the other side of that attitude on this.

Ebert is getting old, letting his prejudices get in the way of being a critic in a "kids and their damn rock n roll music..." sort of way. just curious, what did you think about his thoughts on video games as an arts media? don't mean to high-jack the thread, just curious on your thoughts on it.

adafuns:

Ebert is getting old, letting his prejudices get in the way of being a critic in a "kids and their damn rock n roll music..." sort of way. just curious, what did you think about his thoughts on video games as an arts media? don't mean to high-jack the thread, just curious on your thoughts on it.

I don't think Ebert seems to be well-versed enough in video-games to be speaking as definitively about them as he has been, and that he's reacting more to the anger - much of it likely bordering on the abusive, knowing the internet - being visited on him for the opinion more than to the material at this point. That said, his position seems to be "evolving" toward something more on the lines that no game has been "high" art YET, and while I don't agree it's a more defensible position.

Well, I finally got to see it, and I had high hopes after the trailers and the reviews, especially the one star Daily Mail one, that convinced me it was going to be really good fun, and...

It was epic stuff!

SO pleased I bothered the hour and half's travel to get to a cinema that showed it ( had a couple of free tickets to use up too, so it balanced out the travel.)

Honestly, if you're not offended by some..fairly heavy violence, tho it's nothing like Saw or the like, mainly shootings, stabbings, and full on explosions of people, then give it a go!

I was impressed by how much empathy I had for the characters too, normally any child actor makes me want to go on a killing spree within 30 seconds of them appearing, but she did such a fine job of being utterly mental, and yet entirely Big Daddy's little girl, and just a regular kid... in most ways.

Also, there was a trailer for...someone vs the world, it looked like some guy has to defeat a girl's 7 ex boyfriends, but they're all real life versions of videogame characters, when I saw 'by the director of shaun of the dead and hot fuzz' I was sold, and it looks stupidly good fun too!

Solid review as per usual. I saw it and loved it for the very reason you said. It was FUN! I'm actually going to take my girlfriend to see it next weekend. She'll enjoy it too with a couple exceptions where I tell her to close her eyes.

i am definitely going to see this movie

Anybody else find moviebob to be slowly turning into a D-List Yahtzee? It makes me sad, I still love the reviews though! :D

yeah the whole "teenage life" portions really slowed it down, and while appropriate for the movie, I personally felt like it was rushed

but overall, I thought this movie was awesome!
I was so surprised when my graphics novel geek (and huge Batman fan) came out from the theater saying that it was probably, in his opinion, the best movie he's seen since the Dark Knight from 2008

...is it a bad thing that I didn't find the violence and gore...all that excessive? and the cussing, even by Hit Girl
idk, maybe all these video games really are desensitizing haha...oh snap

Disappointing to see Moviebob fall into the same "OMG so violent!!1" trap as many other critics (at least he didn't bash the movie for it). The violence in this is legitimately R-rated but barely ever reaches the same level as District 9.

The real reason it makes people uncomfortable isn't even hit-girl, it's because we're unused to seeing that level of realistic violence in the context of a movie where people wear brightly coloured superhero costumes. The way the movie breaks this taboo is clearly demonstrated by the Big Daddy warehouse scene, which features little graphic violence but is overpowering simply because it's a guy in a batman costume doing what Batman has never done: dispose of multiple opponents with utterly brutal efficiency. Hit-girl could have been played by an eighteen-year-old and it would have been just as discomforting to watch - just not as funny.

I thought this movie was incredibly hilarious and did indeed, kick a rather high level of ass.

I didn't like Kick-Ass at all. Don't get me wrong, I've watched it in theatres, and it's not a BAD movie... but the love interest bullshit and the sillyness that's going through the scenes kept me from liking it. Same with the Spiderman movies, the love interest there made me nearly hate the movie. Look, I agree that there should be scenes indicating that "main character X" has a girlfriend (probably to milk more money out of the female crowd) ...but filmmakers, please keep them restrained. Look at the newer Batman movies to see what I mean.

This was a fantastic review. Seriously, I'm impressed.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here