The Pocket Gamer Report: Nintendo's Pokemon Shaped Weapon

Pages 1 2 NEXT

... The failure of N64?
Are you from Mars or something?

Pokemon I think will be one of those things that will always amaze. I have a neice who is watching it now, and, because it still carries the charm it did when it starts, if it keeps doing that will get new audiences as people grow up.

I for one am glad its still around, a link to our past, as such

Nintendo 64 a failure? Doubtful. I wouldn't even go as far as to call the GameCube a failure!

What's so difficult to understand the allure of Pokemon? If you're a collector you can catch em all. If you're a hardcore battler you build the perfect statistical team and play around with the complex competitive game. And if you're like me, you just make a team of your favorites and play with them. There's something in it for just about everybody, whether you're a boy or girl, hardcore, just having fun, or just like Pikachu.

Be around for another ten years? I give it another two, max. (yes, 2012 joke, well done there)

Pokemon is magical, if I could afford a DS i'd buy it again

I'm not a Pokemon fan, though I might be if the series grew up a bit.

Before my copy of Pokemon Platinum broke, I will say that one of the things that impressed me about it was that it was arguably the best "on the go" game I had ever played. It was both very simplistic, yet (fairly) deep and played quickly. What's more it was turn based and could be saved anywhere.

That this means is that with Pokemon I could whip out my DS and play a few battles in a waiting room or whatever and quickly "turn it off" if I'm called. Or just flip closed the screen, even if I was in mid-battle, and not worry about getting totally pwned.

To put things into perspective, other games like more like say "Strange Journey" have gotten less play simply because of the save system. Sure, I can also flip that closed with the combat, but at the same time before I can truely turn it of I have to get to a specific save point (and being an Atlus game that may or may not be easy to do). Another game I've been playing recently is "Infinite Space" which is also much cooler IMO, but the fights run in real time so basically if I have to do something "on the go" I'm going to get dusted if I'm in the middle of a fight (either that or I have to be an idiot and say "oh gee, wait a second I need to finish the fight before my appointment" which is retarded).

The point here is that Pokemon is reall well designed for what it does. It has the depth (so to speak) where you can both play it for an hour or two during a long wait, AND in tiny micro chunks. It can see how it's good to keep kids occupied in the back seat, play during small breaks at school, etc.... a lot of portable games that are "deep" miss the entire point of being a portable game.

The downside of Pokemon is that it's too cutesy. I was even making fun of myself for playing it because all of the characters with like 8 years old, and everything was so bloody cuteness obsessed.

Honestly, I'd like to see a game like this developed in a more "serious" vein, but so far I haven't seen anything quite like it. I suppose on some levels "Devil Survivor" comes close, but didn't have the world to wander in or whatever and tended to require a bit more effort.

Atlus DID do the whole "Demikids" thing, but again in doing so they got too cutesy (and my old cartridge got smashed).

The bottom line is that I don't think it's so much the "gotta catch 'em all" part, though I suppose that does provide a motivation other than "hey, let's go kill the big bad at the end" being there from square #1... I think it comes down to really solid game design for a portable/on the go game.

Maybe someday we will truely see Pokemon (or a similar game) for adult nerds (as opposed to young ones), or at least for older kids. :)

I bought a DS just so I could play Diamond when it came out. I go through phases in between releases where I effectively sneer at Pokemon's simplicity and the lack of innovation and then, when they release the next edition, get drawn back into a world of grinding Pokemon and constructing teams that fit my playstyle (which still hasn't changed that much since Red, although the fact that getting a Charmander requires so much rigmarole annoys me a bit. I will admit that I still have a soft spot for most of the original 150 and find it slightly annoying that to get some of the new evolutions requires trading with bizarre combinations of items, so you end up raising someone else's Pokemon and do still wish that I could evolve Alacazam and Gengar by myself, but these are minor gripes for such an endearing fantasy world that, in general, makes very little sense! :-)

Therumancer:

Maybe someday we will truely see Pokemon (or a similar game) for adult nerds (as opposed to young ones), or at least for older kids. :)

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Explorers of Time/Darkness. No joke, there's suicide, execution (by being scratched to death by Sableyes) vicious beatings, Kabutops being an absolute badass, Dialga becoming the pokemon Satan, and the overall message being "everything's evil, might as well kill yourself"

Yeah I also did a double take on the N64 being a failure line, but I actually hope the series continues and they find new directions to take it. I've owned a pokemon game from every generation from Blue, to Platinum and now Soul Silver. Yeah I'm a huge fan.

Pokemon has had quite an adverse effect on me, if I'm honest... I now run a small busniess in which myself and several of my friends venture into the wilderness and beat the crap out of wild animals, ensnare them and force them to fight each other for our own financial gain.

Therumancer:
Honestly, I'd like to see a game like this developed in a more "serious" vein, but so far I haven't seen anything quite like it. I suppose on some levels "Devil Survivor" comes close, but didn't have the world to wander in or whatever and tended to require a bit more effort.

I see what you're getting at. It could work. But I like the cartoony, innocent charm it has. It reminds me of Earthbound.

I also find hard to understand why pokemon makes so much sucess and similar games, like Digimon series, Monster Rancher series, and Dragon Quest Monsters series aren't so sucessfull outside Japan. In part, I believe it's because the world of Pokemon tends to be more imersive: it ressembles our world, but is absolutely obsessed about the little monsters - wich are used for almost everything, and the main subject of almost all NPCs inside the game.
To top all of that, the metagame of battling other players make people consider pokemon training is an strategic e-sport, wich would take a lot of time and tought - I imagien a pro pokemon pplayer, who would spend days trying to cast the best pokemon with best genes, then train it for all effort points and such.

its funny... I havent played a Pokemon game since the first gen. I even replayed it through Yellow. But recently I have begun to pine for another go at it all. Maybe its all the promised gameplay updates, maybe the fact that the landscape is relevant and I have visited so many places I'm now familiar with through that first game. If only I could find a cheap local power adaptor for my foreign DS...

I'm one of those assholes who will rant and go on about how the original 151 are where it's at, and that everything else is just a cop-out.
But then, I was like 7 when it first came out, so it's kind of understandable if 151 is enough for me. I don't think I could have even counted that high.

Zeithri:
... The failure of N64?

I'm wondering the same thing. I guess it didn't do as well as the Playstation, but it's not like it got beat by the Sega Saturn too.

gigastrike:

Zeithri:
... The failure of N64?

I'm wondering the same thing. I guess it didn't do as well as the Playstation, but it's not like it got beat by the Sega Saturn too.

I'm assuming that's what he's referring to. The N64 and Gamecube were both significantly outsold by the Playstation and PS2, though they were both major financial successes for Nintendo.

Amarok:

Therumancer:

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Explorers of Time/Darkness. No joke, there's suicide, execution (by being scratched to death by Sableyes) vicious beatings, Kabutops being an absolute badass, Dialga becoming the pokemon Satan, and the overall message being "everything's evil, might as well kill yourself"

And the mother of all plot twists (for a Pokemon game)

Wait...what? N64 and GC failures? admittedly GC's later years were a low point for nintendo but hardily a failure. Other than that stupidly incorrect comment at the beginning i agree with this article. Pokémania will stay for a long, long time. With it infect the newer generation of gamers every day.

I myself was eyeing up a copy of soulsilver to occupy me for a good few months.

Amarok:

Therumancer:

You should make advertisements for Nintendo, because now I'm going to go buy that game. Like, right now.

I like the current UK advertising campaign for Heart Gold and Soul Silver. I also know a lot of people who are getting them just because they're remakes of gold and silver. Which were awesome.
So yeah, nostalgia works as a selling point, even on the people who passionately hate every 3rd and 4th gen pokemon

I don't know why I like the pokemon games. I dislike the show now and I've given up on trying to catch them all after the original Gold and Silver but for some reason I always want the new release

J03bot:
I like the current UK advertising campaign for Heart Gold and Soul Silver. I also know a lot of people who are getting them just because they're remakes of gold and silver. Which were awesome.
So yeah, nostalgia works as a selling point, even on the people who passionately hate every 3rd and 4th gen pokemon

Too bad the sonic games weren't made by nintendo maybe they wouldn't suck so hard today

I do have to say as long as they keep making pokemon and Harvest Moon I will own whatever type of Gameboy they have.

Also I would like to point out I'm rather disappointed how this wasn't news about Nintendo making a giant Charizard and using it to take over the world!

Mr. Fister:

gigastrike:

Zeithri:
... The failure of N64?

I'm assuming that's what he's referring to. The N64 and Gamecube were both significantly outsold by the Playstation and PS2, though they were both major financial successes for Nintendo.

I can't agree that the N64 was a "success". Nintendo went from having over 85% of the market share to having less than 35% in one console generation, losing to a company that had never before produced a gaming console. That's pretty epic failure.

Edit: On topic, I never got in to the Pokemon games, because I was about 2-3 years too old when the craze hit. With my obsessive personality, I'm eternally grateful for that after reading this article.

woah, woah, WOAH! "failure of the N64"?? I'll give them the bit about the GC, but the N64?!
Have you never heard of Zelda [Ocarina of Time]? Mario 64? Star Fox 64? Super Smash Bros.? GOLDENEYE???
-These are some of the best games of ALL-TIME!

No. just no. whoever wrote this article is a f**ktard.

That's like calling Halo un-profitable...

Childlike innocence? Even in the original pokemon, I think not:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=907714&topic=54152005

I liked the first two generations of Pokemon, but I didn't care for the later stuff...

If I owned a DS I might try the newest one... But I don't think the wife would let me spend alot of time on it and I'd call it quits.

I could not agreed more. While I did not own any single game since Yellow, the newest edition made me buy NDSi for myself. It's as compelling and as good as it was when I first played. Maybe part of the gameplay magic lies in putting the graphics way in the back of "to-do"s for GameFreak.

Amarok:

Therumancer:

I've played the whole game 3 times now(Absolutely loved it enough to play it that much.), when was their suicide unless (Spoiler) you count Grovyle willingly getting erased.

Pocket Gamer:

Discount this hardcore series at your own peril.

Fixed.
Why bother posting these articles? They're seriously full of crap.

Post laaagg, sorry for double post.

Normalgamer:

Amarok:

Therumancer:

I've played the whole game 3 times now(Absolutely loved it enough to play it that much.), when was their suicide unless (Spoiler) you count Grovyle willingly getting erased.

I think he/she/it wasn't actually about suicide actually happening but the part where (Spoilers) Darkrai is try to talk the main and partner characters into getting rid of themselves...

Anyways who Plays time/darkness?! Sky is better, yup yup.

Altar:

Normalgamer:

Amarok:

Therumancer:

I think he/she/it wasn't actually about suicide actually happening but the part where (Spoilers) Darkrai is try to talk the main and partner characters into getting rid of themselves...

Anyways who Plays time/darkness?! Sky is better, yup yup.

Sky really didn't add anything worth another 30$, couple dungeons, couple more pokemon I already could get through my Action Replay, not much really. I'm still waiting for the third installment of the series(If they make one, I really hope they make one.)

Ok, I learned something new today... Pokemon was first developed by Nintendo for the gameboy? Seriously?

I really have no idea how I missed it. Sure I lived in a small northern Canadian town when I was in highschool, but it's not like we didn't get all the latest console games. Where I lived I clearly remember the pokemon fad hitting the elementary schools as a card gamed followed up by the anime again for kids, and years later when I noticed it was on gameboy I figured Nintendo acquired the license to make video game out of it, and have thought that way up untill today.

I mean seriously, there was 800 people in my high school and we had Snes'. N64's, and Playstation's, but no one really did the portable thing and no one played Pokemon. That was just like the kiddy version of Magic the Gathering that elementary school kids played. So I've always thought Pokemon was about the card game and the gameboy stuff were just add-ons that people continued to play when they got too old for the cards. Am I the only one?

lol, i was playing pokemon diamond on my DS right before i read this

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or