The Day the Multiplayer Died

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

The Day the Multiplayer Died

Where did all the cutting edge split screen games go?

Read Full Article

I miss bots! Me and my sister used to love playing Red Faction (1+2) in local multiplayer split screen in a team by ourselves against as many enemy bots as possible.

I wish modern games would go back to those days :(

I'm glad that split screen coop still lives. Some developers keep it in for just that reason. (The reason being to keep it alive.) Such is the case with Borderlands.

As for bots:

Now, with the advent of online console gaming, and especially the rise of "ranking systems"...there's little call for bots now.

I like them, too.

A New Super Mario Brothers Wii coop was terrible with more than two people. Well, the physics were. The idea was nice.

you gotta do challanges in perfect dark to unlock more cpu's. Most I ever had was 12. I'm not sure if that's max or not

That last phrase would be excellent if it were put to the Back to the Future theme. Although, I have just done a Back to the Future marathon-thing.

someboredguy:
That last phrase would be excellent if it were put to the Back to the Future theme. Although, I have just done a Back to the Future marathon-thing.

It would be great in Red Alert...

Oh wait!

I suspect your future won't happen. Remember when PC releases often had some kind of splitscreen, now it seems even LAN support is asking too much.

Unless online subscriptions start declining they're going to kill split screen entirely, why have local multiplayer when you can have network gaming that means every player has to buy a copy of the game just to join in? Why support LAN when you can force every player through your pay to play or heavily advertised 'free' system?

I miss LAN gaming, marathon sessions of SWAT 4 were brilliant, not least to hear the anguished cries of your enemy as the zipcuffs were drawn. Like keyboard S&M it was...

I miss it too, there's nothing better than (figuratively) raping your friends in a game. Hence why we dug out our N64's over the holidays :D

Gears of War 2 has bots in multiplayer split-screen/system-link

I love bots. I might not even have multiplayer if there were bots in a game, but I think that's the point...

I went to a friends the other night after we went to the movies on his birthday to find the only games we could play? Tekken 6, Soul Calibur 4 and Blazblue:Calamity Trigger, all fighting games.
It's really depressing in a way because the best part of gaming is mixing with community and friends for playing.
PS3s support up to 6-8 controllers, but what's the fucking point?

Why can't split screen just come back?!

Yesss!

Bring back split-screen! Bring back hot-seat! Bring back bot-matches!

Yeah I agree it is like they are trying to extract all the parts of games you can do with a friend. I hope there is a resurgence of split screen games.

I completely agree with you, i'm glad i'm not the only persion to have noticed this

The TimeSplitters series offers bots in splitscreen mode--it was the primary draw of TS2 since the online play was never implemented, and it is the reason I still play TS2 and TS3.

The Conduit offers splitscreen, but I have no idea if it allows bots.

Game People, understand that this is fueled by money as much as any claims of innovation. The bottom line is that the games industry wants to force people online as much as possible. This allows them greater control over the product, fuels the development of online services run by each individual developer, and of course makes it easier to pimp microtransactions to those people while they are online.

I admit I'm not a big fan of split screen on the occasions when I do play multiplayer games, BUT I do understand the appeal and why it works. However from a game industry perspective they don't have much motivation for catering to your "on the couch" split screen or even LAN based gaming experience.

From their perspective if they force you online this means you need two people with compadible hardware, their own copies of the game, and of course them being signed up for your service so you can harass them with microtransactions, advertising, and of course have access to their personal information. Oh and yeah, there is the DRM aspect of the whole thing too, since it allows them to try and make multiplayer impossible without a real copy since your dependant on their online verification and such. I'd also argue (on an unrelated note) that I suspect part of the industry's obsession with multiplayer gaming, oftentimes at the expense of single player games/components is simply that it's relatively easy to force multiplayer online and try and verify it, while single player games are much easier to
steal and get the most out of by their very nature. To an extent I figure a lot of companies figure single player modes in shooters and such are amounting to a freebie for pirates.

Of course the central root of this problem is us gamers ourselves. In general we whine, we produce articles like this, and of course send in endless numbers of petitions. In the end though we still buy the products in a lemming-like fashion, and we don't even have any kind of organized consumer advocacy going. As a result we're pretty much an ideal group of sheeple primed for corperate exploitation. The whining and complaints effectively having simply turned into "buzz" for a game, since really they know no matter how much the community bleats, we're still going to generally line up to pay for our space in the trough line.

While a bit differant from "split screen", look at "Modern Warfare 2". MW2 is the best selling game ever. Yet the game sold like this despite multiplayer gamers being brutalized by the company cutting out features (dedicated servers) that they wanted. Basically people complained in massive numbers and went out and bought it anyway. Even worse, the first "Modern Warfare" title was frankly an unbalanced mess, people literally screamed about things like "Martyrdom" by the hundreds of thousands. Yet despite this, people decided to run right out and buy the sequel which they simply all hoped would actually be as well balanced as the first game was promised to be. Balacing games, whether computer games, or PnP RPGs is perhaps one of the most difficult things to do in game design. It shouldn't be any huge surprise that Infinity Ward really didn't bother to balance things any better than the first game. You even had Penny Arcade making jokes about how overpowered knives were, and calling people using certain weapon combinations "dog rapists". Not to mention the endless and ongoing complaints about Recons (and sniper classes in general in most games), and mortar strikes. Simply put, from a game balance perspective this is a poorly designed nightmare and everyone realizes it (despite staunch defenders)... yet there is no effort to fix this or balance the game via patches and such because simply put the company realizes it's not worth the time, they have their money, and frankly the bleating sheeple will run off to "Modern Warfare 3" when they decide to implement it and spend their money. They have no reason to think otherwise.

What I'm getting at here is that if gamers aren't going to turn on something like "Modern Warfare", the odds of seeing any kind of community rallying for split screen is more or less non-existant.

fix-the-spade:
I suspect your future won't happen. Remember when PC releases often had some kind of splitscreen, now it seems even LAN support is asking too much.

PC split screen/co-op has always been a rarity with the only games supporting it normally console ports. This was probably due to the fact setting up LAN games was easy (and a lot more fun!) Personally, I hate online multiplayer as its so impersonal. Its always a lot more fun playing against someone next too you and I have fond memories of 5 player roatational Halo at a mates house. I'm more likely to buy a game if it has local co-op/multiplayer even if I'm not a big fan of the genre (i.e Halo, Gears) because any game can become fun when you add a mate and alcohol into the mix.

Oh, and screen watching is not cheating.

SplitScreen is cool and all, but being overdramatic is just going to make me, and many others, oppose you. I really don't care about SS much, as I don't have a bunch of nearby friends. Online allows you to talk to people around the world. Why oppose that?

My housemate and I occasionally rent a game and play through it co-op in one sitting but our choices have been severely limited as of late; we've done Gears of War 1 + 2, Perfect Dark XBLA, Perfect Dark Zero and Army of Two 40 Days.

We nearly got the new Splinter Cell game out but the back said that it was a separate campaign for co-op although the back was quite ambiguous. Can anyone tell me if it is a co-op single player campaign plus an additional small campaign designed for co-op or if it is just a separate tagged on addition a la Modern Warfare 2 which, whilst fun, wasn't exactly the same because it was short 5-10 minute blasts rather than the actual game.

I think split screen games are a soon to be a thing of the past. Maybe its just the people I know, but I have a hard time finding anybody willing to play a game when its squished into the tunnel vision of 1/2 or 1/4 of a screen. Especially when it is included like Gears of War, and there is no option to make the split vertical, which to me would make much more sense on a widescreen TV.
Local multiplayer is still awesome though, and I'm pretty confident it wont go away. Maybe when hardware is powerful enough, and monitors are super cheap, game consoles will have the option to plug in up to 4 monitors or TVs doing away with split screen, and keeping all your friends in the room to play.

More games needs split screen unforced co-op. By unforced I mean you don't have a (meaningful) computer partner when it is only single player. Halo managed this well, so did Timesplitters(2&3) which was one of the greatest console experiences ever.

One game I really with had co-op LAN play is STALKER, it could easily be worked into the story or the second player just ignored like in Halo 1.

Companies don't want to put in lan play for the reasons the wall of text above listed. They want control over the players environment, they want continuous contact for marketing opportunities, they want piracy protection, etc.

I will not be purchasing starcraft 2 because of a lack of lan and direct IP play.

You know, I basically posted a thread like this to the escapist a long while back. Which isn't to say I'm grumpy, just that I totally agree.
MW2 makes me rage. You can play 4 player split screen OR 1p per screen LAN, but NOT 4 player split screen LANs. So to play with 5 players offline takes 4 more TVs, 360s and copies of MW2 (the key element to IW/Activision's decision I'm sure) than you need to play with 4. They clearly could have done it; that they didn't was a purely mercenary money-making venture. And it probably didn't even make them much/any money.

HG131:
SplitScreen is cool and all, but being overdramatic is just going to make me, and many others, oppose you. I really don't care about SS much, as I don't have a bunch of nearby friends. Online allows you to talk to people around the world. Why oppose that?

The point isn't that online play is bad. I don't think anyone would say that. However, if you do have friends, then a split-screen game is just so much more fun to play. In stead of sitting all alone behind your own screen, split-screen puts two (or more) people on the same couch, behind the same screen. It greatly enhances the social aspect of the game, and in my opinion there isn't a multiplayer game in the world that cannot be improved by playing it with a friend. What's more, you can only play online multiplayer if your friends have the same system and the same game as you do. If you have a PS3 and your friend has an X360, good luck trying to play together online. But if you visit your friend or your friend visits you, and you've got split-screen games, you can have fun all day.

Besides, wouldn't you rather play with a good friend next to you than with some abusive 12-year old from halfway across the world?

sadly this console-born syndrome takes over to pc too...more and more games do not have the lan mode, that used to be the highlight of any game for me.. :(

Hurr Durr Derp:
The point isn't that online play is bad. I don't think anyone would say that. However, if you do have friends, then a split-screen game is just so much more fun to play. In stead of sitting all along behind your own screen, split-screen puts two (or more) people on the same couch, behind the same screen. It greatly enhances the social aspect of the game, and in my opinion there isn't a multiplayer game in the world that cannot be improved by playing it with a friend.

One time three friends and I hooked up our 360s to the interwebs while in the same room and went MeW2ing along with a couple other friends on Live at the time. It was a blast. We could see each other's awesome killcams, talk back and forth, and generally drink in the atmosphere of LANning, with the comfort and gamer pool of online play.
Of course it wasn't so fun for our enemy. They were consistently thumped (except for a couple lobbies that put up a good show), and found a lot of their sneaky tactics countered by a group of what looked like mic-less pubbies. They must have wondered how the hell we always knew when they'd ambushed someone. (One time we actually set up a full defensive perimeter above the stairs on Terminal without saying a word or ever having planned it before. It was eery to turn from my post looking down the stairs and see everyone else covering an entrance without ever having agreed on it.)

I caught up with a friend of mine on steamchat earlier today and he mentioned going to a lan party. I miss that atmosphere. It's alot more fun when you're with the other players and you see the expression on their face when you pull off a good move (or funny if they get you, it's all good). Halo, Perfect Dark, Unreal 2004 and a few other games were great for this. They ran smoothly and provided that unique experience.

I've noticed this too with alot of newer games relying strictly on internet only which is kind of sad. When I have friends over what I am supposed to play now.. >.>

And that's how I suddenly was hit by the wall of nostalgia associated with GoldenEye 007 memories...
Mmm, paintball mode and floating remote mines!

Dont think much of MW games but must compliment their split screen options- The best of any FPS (and probably only)
Split screen should return, not likes it's hard to implement.

It really bugs me that splitscreen is slowly being phased out.
Considering that TV's are getting the widescreen treatment and have respectable sizes already...

Hurr Durr Derp:
Yesss!

Bring back split-screen! Bring back hot-seat! Bring back bot-matches!

Hot seat leads to vicous, brutal infighting. A friend if mine got nacho cheese dumped all over him for pretending to not have died when we looked away. I won't say who started the nacho fight, I'll just point at the guilty party and whistle.

*Whistles while pointing*

I like splitscreen, it makes gaming with friends a bit more social when they were in the same room as you. Mainly because watching someone play a game can be pretty boring, I play most game campaigns splitscreen with my friends like Halo, Gears of War, Borderlands. I like the kinda "team" feeling you get sat side by side.

I also miss loading up a load of bots and just messing about on a multiplayer game by myself or getting a bit of practice in. TimeSplitters 2, me and my friend vs a whole team of 5 star bots with only homing-launchers...fun times.

the_tramp:
My housemate and I occasionally rent a game and play through it co-op in one sitting but our choices have been severely limited as of late; we've done Gears of War 1 + 2, Perfect Dark XBLA, Perfect Dark Zero and Army of Two 40 Days.

We nearly got the new Splinter Cell game out but the back said that it was a separate campaign for co-op although the back was quite ambiguous. Can anyone tell me if it is a co-op single player campaign plus an additional small campaign designed for co-op or if it is just a separate tagged on addition a la Modern Warfare 2 which, whilst fun, wasn't exactly the same because it was short 5-10 minute blasts rather than the actual game.

It's a separate story, a prequel of sorts to the story of Conviction itself, shown from a perspective of two third echelo operatives, neither being Sam. I have sort of a same kind of relationship with split-screens, we've played nearly every (damnation being the only exception) SS game there is for 360 and majority of PS3 as well with a mate of mine. AoT40D was a huge pile of crap considering the first one did everything better and I was very weary of the Splinter Cell co-op. I was glad to notice I had nothing to fear. Although it offers much less duration than the main story, it's the most fun I've had in split-screen since Gears of War 2. Imagine Rainbow 6 Vegas with more weight on the stealth side and add some elements of Army of Two from strategical point of view and you'll get the basic idea. You can safely go SC:C SS mode with my recommendations at least. :)

WWE's really stopped doing that (well I think) I think they still do 6 people on one console doing Money In The Bank. (good friday nights wasted :) )

they assume that everyone is connected to the internet, well i live in the caribbean and in here, not so much

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here