Unskippable: Resonance of Fate

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

G Skunk:

As for how they survived the fall, I like to think ponytail guy set up a giant trampoline on his roof.

wouldn't that just launch them like 200 something miles back up?

I say the ground on that planet is made of jello. They fell into a dive, pierced the ground then they ate their way out.

orangeapples:

G Skunk:

As for how they survived the fall, I like to think ponytail guy set up a giant trampoline on his roof.

I say the ground on that planet is made of jello. They fell into a dive, pierced the ground then they ate their way out.

it's a square enix game. Two words: Phoenix Down.

Oh JRPG writers, you guys must take a lot of drugs.

It was tempting to call the lead character "wussy" looking but after 20 years it's lost more than just meaning... oh well, at least the context of the scene is messed up. I'm sure it will make sense after something like 20 or 30 hours into the game but for now...

WTF!?

orangeapples:

Not if it follows the laws of Japanese video game physics.

Anyway, questioning the laws of physics seems a bit silly when discussing a game wherein it's commonplace for the lead characters to leap ten times their own height, flip through the air like gun-wielding pancakes, and launch enemies into the sky with ordinary bullets.

twaddle:
it's a square enix game. Two words: Phoenix Down.

Actually, Resonance of Fate was made by tri-ace, a company which made games for Square Enix before, but this one they made for Sega. Think real, real hard before you say "what's the difference?"

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Phantom of the Opera reference at the beginning of the video. That was classy.

I really want to comment, but the only thing that comes to mind is "lolwut?"

My favourite instalments always seem to be jrpgs because usually they're so goddamn obscure they'd be amusing anyway. The commentary just makes them that much better.

Nice job this week, guys.

"Wait, I just remembered I can't read!"

Good episode, but I'm disappointed at the amount of people dismissing the game because of one cutscene.

Grayjack:
Good episode, but I'm disappointed at the amount of people dismissing the game because of one cutscene.

To be honest, I also found myself rather impressed with many people's ability to judge the quality of a game based on nothing more than the opening cutscene, especially with the likelihood that they've never played/read about/heard of the game. They must be psychics or something.

More than a few times in my experience, I've come across some crappy games with great opening cutscenes and some great games preceded with five minutes of (what initially seems to be) inane gibberish. Resonance of Fate would fall into the catagory of the latter, for certain, though I must admit I'm a bit hesitant to call it a "great" game.

Sure, I love and adore every aspect about it from the complex, unique combat system to the odd, quirky characters but to say Resonance of Fate is a game for everyone would be far from the truth. The combat system can be quite demanding at times and perhaps it's best that most stick with the safety and familiarity of today's mainstream eight-hour hack-n-slash twitch shooters. Yes, I am being sarcastic.

In its favor, that place DOES suit the name "chandelier" more than it suits a giant railgun...
(Ace Combat 6)

I liked how it still made a bit of sense at the beginning...until they cleared the layer of clouds, that is DX

Zakarath:
In its favor, that place DOES suit the name "chandelier" more than it suits a giant railgun...
(Ace Combat 6)

oh wow...I really missed that one...thanks! :P

"Ha! You thought we were cutting to a different shot didn't you? But nope, still these two jackasses falling."

Hilarious, well done guys!

Hmmmmm, Mr. Male Lead there sounded suspiciously like Edge Maverik.

Reminds me a bit of that scene near the beginning of FFIX, both the lead guy and what he was doing. Steiner arm flail!

Father Time:

Not G. Ivingname:

Pirated Goods:
Lol'd when they started having a conversation while falling to their deaths.

I real life an conversation while sky diving sounds like this.

(Wind blowing while to morons mouth about how the other forgot the parachutes)

See? Nothing.

$20 says you learned that from the mythbusters.

Grrrrr... (Pulls out a twenty and throws it at Father Time)

Absolutely one of the best Unskippables I've seen. Hilarious.

CmdrGoob:
Oh JRPG writers, you guys must take a lot of drugs.

Or just be really Japanese, ever watched an anime?

Anyway...
Hey guys you know what made a lot of sense...

jackasses still falling!! haha

Haha, Great episode. Still interested as to how they survived that? No wait not interested... Confused.

good episode, loved the Kratos line even if it has been recycled a few times ;)

G Skunk:
Except for how those two survived the fall. I don't think that's ever explained, but I'm not some caveman who screeches and panics every time some little thing goes unexplained. Sometimes, kiddos, not every aspect of every detail is handed over to us. That's our opportunity to use our imaginations and mentally weave a web of meaning where there may be none.

Please tell me you did not try to pass off the protagonists inexplicably escaping death after diving off of something that literally went above the clouds as "well the story doesn't have to hold your hand like it's your mommy."

Not playing a sequence where the main character puts a two-litre of hair gel to explain his impossible hair is a "skippable detail." The impossible savior of the main characters is not. Skipping over it is laziness and nothing else.

Nice work on the commentary guys.
Funny as always.

Keep up the good work.

Yarggg

sougo13:

Mr Companion:
So, wait WHAT?
I mean I don't really care about what happens to them, but how the fuck did they plummet to their deaths and then turn up alive two years and seve- oh whatever I really don't want to know.

You're new to this genre aren't you?

Sure am, but I cant help but feel that if I knew what was going on I would actually be more confused.

Heheh, I was thinking at the same time that the impact of catching her should have ripped his arm off.

& so Wendy & Peter flew off to Never-Never Land.....

When the hero cut the rope and swung in to save her, I immediately thought of the Zidane and Garnet swinging around in FFIX. I guess it was the triangle flags on the ropes that jogged my memory + I'm a FF nerd.

I also enjoyed the assassin's creed reference. Good job fellas.

Misterpinky:
"Aha. You thought we were going to a different shot... but we're still watching these jackasses falling."
This is one of the best Unskippables they've done in a while. Leave it up to a JRPG to make you laugh....

I wholeheartedly agree

Wow. That was one of the most incomprehensible intros.

That was one of the worst cutscenes I've ever seen.

G Skunk:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Phantom of the Opera reference at the beginning of the video. That was classy.

Seriously. Phantom of the Opera joke right out of the gate made my day.

I wonder how many people here get the reference.

Arctic Fox:
When the hero cut the rope and swung in to save her, I immediately thought of the Zidane and Garnet swinging around in FFIX. I guess it was the triangle flags on the ropes that jogged my memory + I'm a FF nerd.

I also enjoyed the assassin's creed reference. Good job fellas.

that is true

but unlike FFIX Garnet and Zidane were swinging on their own ropes while in this intro he trying to save her from killing herself.

Did they fall from Modern Day Neverland or maybe Skypea?!

"What did you say? because it sound like whhhuchhhh..."

My dog was slightly taken aback by my sudden laughing.

I never got to finish the game due to my son erasing all of my data (was on ch 15, the end of the game)) but I imagine Leanne(the girl) sprouted wings like the other young girl in the game who plays a bit of a roll in the convoluted story and that's how they survived the fall. They are some sort of genetically engineered humans with powers dictated by the quartz that stops everyones cancer in the game. Each person has a quartz and if it is destroyed their cancer progresses immediately and they die. The city is ran by some weird sentient machine god that controls people. I wish I was making this up but the game is so god damned weird it's hard to explain really. Not to sure if any of it really makes sense. Good JRPG game though. Quite addicting.

several years later in ANOTHER UNIVERSE!!
how is it they were falling and rising at the same time?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here